Community Member

Default Self sufficient stealthy rogue? Please help.

I try to make characters that can take care of themselves - WF Arti, Pale Trapper, Light Monk, Cleric Dill Half Elf, etc. Now I want to try a Rogue, because I want to experience the art of being "stealthy" for a change (but still do traps too). I also solo a lot, so I'm thinking Rogue will be much harder/slower than monk in this regard.

I have 32 pt builds and Vet 7, so I just made a level 7 Half Elf Fighter Dill Rogue Assassin. I went 14 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 16 INT. I want to try the Dex route, using Dex weapons when possible. I have two "Flints" waiting for me in the bank, for example. But I'm already questioning taking the Fighter Dilll, because I'm not sure what its getting me that I really need. I will probably want IC Piercing, for daggers and shortswords and rapiers, so what do I need Fighter Dill for? Should I have taken something like Cleric instead, for healing purposes? Obviously I am also maxing out UMD every level, which would make Cleric kind of pointless at a certain point.

While I really want to do stealth, if I take a hireling with me that pretty much goes out the window, right? I also know that its popular to try and stealth entire quests, but that doesn't help in wilderness areas where I DO want to kill everything. So I need advice on how to either stay alive without a hireling, or how to still enjoy everything a Rogue has to offer but use a hireling at the same time.

I plan on going pure Rogue to 20 and taking Epic Sneak Attack at 21. But I'll also get INT up to mid 20s or more with gear and stuff to help with Assassinate (we usually only play Normal content).

Lastly, a question about feats. Obviously I will take IC Piercing and all the TWF line. But what else" I was thinking about Precision because it reduces enemy fortification. Any other ideas?

Thanks with any advice you can offer (keeping in mind this is a first life character).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    I try to make characters that can take care of themselves - WF Arti, Pale Trapper, Light Monk, Cleric Dill Half Elf, etc. Now I want to try a Rogue, because I want to experience the art of being "stealthy" for a change (but still do traps too). I also solo a lot, so I'm thinking Rogue will be much harder/slower than monk in this regard.

I have 32 pt builds and Vet 7, so I just made a level 7 Half Elf Fighter Dill Rogue Assassin. I went 14 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 16 INT. I want to try the Dex route, using Dex weapons when possible. I have two "Flints" waiting for me in the bank, for example. But I'm already questioning taking the Fighter Dilll, because I'm not sure what its getting me that I really need. I will probably want IC Piercing, for daggers and shortswords and rapiers, so what do I need Fighter Dill for? Should I have taken something like Cleric instead, for healing purposes? Obviously I am also maxing out UMD every level, which would make Cleric kind of pointless at a certain point.

While I really want to do stealth, if I take a hireling with me that pretty much goes out the window, right? I also know that its popular to try and stealth entire quests, but that doesn't help in wilderness areas where I DO want to kill everything. So I need advice on how to either stay alive without a hireling, or how to still enjoy everything a Rogue has to offer but use a hireling at the same time.

I plan on going pure Rogue to 20 and taking Epic Sneak Attack at 21. But I'll also get INT up to mid 20s or more with gear and stuff to help with Assassinate (we usually only play Normal content).

Lastly, a question about feats. Obviously I will take IC Piercing and all the TWF line. But what else" I was thinking about Precision because it reduces enemy fortification. Any other ideas?

Thanks with any advice you can offer (keeping in mind this is a first life character).
    Arti Dilli gives you +1 to UMD which will make your inventory a little happier. Wiz and Cleric does similar things, although Cleric seems to be second most popular now for Heal/Raise scrolls (Arti being #1). Fighter gives you Martial proficiency but honestly I think that only helps new players.

Stats look correct.

Remember that while your sneaking your hireling will grab agro allowing you to do SA/Assassinates. Makes relying on Bluff/effects less important. If you are going for stealthy bonus don't summon or place/park them at entrance.

Precision is definitely good. Sense the transfer I don't know if the Rogue builds made the transfer and I never memorized the Feat selection for Rogues.

Community Member

One way to do this is with high healing amplification. Take monk dilly, and stack 20% helf hamp with 20% monk hamp.

Throw in the 30% hamp PDK gloves and the 10% hamp ship buff, and that gets you around 2.09x hamp. Combine this with a vampiric weapon and your healing needs are reduced. In addition, every other incoming heal suddenly becomes more effective too. You can, for example, stack healing amplification with scroll mastery to ensure that a single healing scroll will get you back to full health.

Another thing you'll probably want as a solo rogue is a non-hand deception item. Example: ring of Lies, Backstabbers gloves, golden guile. This makes it very easy to get sneak attacks in any monster, even when by yourself, but you can still use any weapon you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post

If you want to go stealthy but need a hire, park him at entrance and go stealth in the quest
    If things goes wrong, or you arrive at a point where you need to kill something, call hire and he will teleport to you (if you are far enough)
    But be aware that if you are too close from your hire, he will come to you running...and getting aggro of everything :-(

And when you need to kill something, let your hire having the aggro then go and enjoy the SA (but be aware that often the hire will not be able to keep aggro too long)

With a solo rogue, bluff-pulling is your best friend. With a little skill you can bluff-pull, then assassinate when they pass by.

Having the hireling being the distraction is a bit of a ****-shoot as mobs move in combat, and there is a lag between when you hit Assassinate, and when the server registers ithe action. Again, it requires a little bit of skill, but one mob aggroed and moving around is a lot easier to handle than two-or-more mobs moving around and swinging at stuff.

Your best self-healing will be pots and wands up until high levels when you can start using scrolls. Still, pots and wands, and stealth requires some coordination and a little patience. You won't be zerging through quests. In fact, you'll be looking to sneak by as much stuff as you can.

You biggest problems will be spiders / scorps (anything with tremor-sense) and undead. make sure you have a decent set of undead beaters at lower levels.

When you start getting some decent UMD, one trick I often use is calling a summon to aggro and distract stuff - similar to bringing a hire, but a little more focused.

Maybe its just me, but solo-ing on a rogue can be a blast in a lot of quests. Once you get assassinate, you learn to time a mob patrolling the halls so that they are out of sight or range from other mobs that might get aggro-ed. You can also craft noisemaker traps to pull mobs away one-by-one and take them out. But you have to change how you've traditionally played a toon to utilize them fully.

Another thing, if you can get them, get a paralyzer as an off-hand weapon. This is a huge help when doing melee from about 12 to 19.