Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Your Fav Spell Combos?

I come from an avid Cleric/Mage background in Baldur's Gate which naturally caused me to roll up a half elf cleric sorcerer here in DDO, which I understand can never be a competitive endgame build, but its definitely fun at low levels playing around with cleric and sorcerer spell combos. I am just wondering what kind of spell combos you guys use here? Stuffs that we can actually set in sequence using macros.

I am currently CLR2/SOR4 and I like to sequence...

Hypnotism (-4 will save even if doesn't daze) + Doom (lower SP cost than scare for -2 save) + Command (some bosses immune to this) + Niac's Cold Ray (greatly increases chance of damage due to lowered save) for single bosses.

Hypnotism (lowers will save and daze for the big one coming up) + Scare (send them all running) for smallies crowd control

Any ideas?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pr8Dator View Post
    I come from an avid Cleric/Mage background in Baldur's Gate which naturally caused me to roll up a half elf cleric sorcerer here in DDO, which I understand can never be a competitive endgame build, but its definitely fun at low levels playing around with cleric and sorcerer spell combos. I am just wondering what kind of spell combos you guys use here? Stuffs that we can actually set in sequence using macros.

Hypnotism (-4 will save even if doesn't daze) + Doom (lower SP cost than scare for -2 save) + Command (some bosses immune to this) + Niac's Cold Ray (greatly increases chance of damage due to lowered save) for single bosses.

Hypnotism (lowers will save and daze for the big one coming up) + Scare (send them all running) for smallies crowd control

Any ideas?
    ...the first 'combo' sounds like a ridiculous waste of SP. For that entire 'combo' to work, the mob will still have to be alive when you finally get around to casting niac's. You could cast niac's several times for the SP wasted on casting doom (a waste of a spell slot) and command. By getting in range to use hypnotism, you're also giving up the advantage of niac's; ray spells have double the range of normal spells.

Casting scare after a successful hypnotism is also a waste of SP. Cast one, not both, as it's overkill. Fear spells also tend to irritate the rest of the party especially the melee, since they have to chase after things. It's also likely that the feared mobs will run into other packs of mobs and soon you'll have twice as many mobs to kill.

I'm not even going to start on the ridiculousness of the 2 cleric/4 sorcerer shtick. Fun build or not, there's a general rule against mixing divine and arcane caster classes, and it should be followed; some combinations can work to get through a life you don't wish to do, but the vast majority of divine/arcane mix ideas don't work. Once you hit the middle levels, you'll quickly realize you've split your stats too thin across caster abilities, your DC's for you favorite 'combos' will be next to useless and you'll end up with a used character slot collecting dust. It also defeated the point of you going half-elf. Just use the cleric dilettante and go pure sorcerer.

Community Member

My favorite spell combo for low levels: Fireball + Fireball. Works very well.
    The real Wruntjunior.
    My Channel: link
    My EE Solos: link

My fav spell combo? Get me a sandwich and get me a beer. XD

Intergalactic Space Crusader Livmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dravael View Post
    My favorite spell combo for low levels: Fireball + Fireball. Works very well.
    Although I'm not a caster I like the fireball + fireball = devastation.

If I have the high ground and fire is the enemy's weakness I will blast with the Hand of Tombs rune arm that has fireball with one hand, and blast with a fireball wand in the other.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Hand_of_the_Tombs

http://ddowiki.com/page/Fireball

It's lots of fun!
    Last edited by Livmo; 05-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Community Member ~swimmingjellycube's Avatar

Dear OP,

If you want more spell flexibility for debuffing, you should play as a pure wizard, and forget about caster multiclassing.

Very good spell combinations include

web + wall of fire
    jump + Invisibility + haste (for those times when killing the mobs is not worth the bother) (invisibility is currently broken)
    Circle of death + wail of the banshee (both give negative levels on a passed save)

At lower levels
    master's touch + expeditious retreat to outrun the barb, and take all the kills
    fireball + acidblast

Freedom of movement (just on yourself) + grease.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish-Doom View Post
    You forgot sleetstorm. >_>
    The real Wruntjunior.
    My Channel: link
    My EE Solos: link

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish-Doom View Post
    Add glitterdust to that; They can't see the grease, usually don't even know they fell down and can't figure out why they can't escape the cloud
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

For more practical purposes, I like my Druids' the best:

Gather as many mobs as possible, then:
    Earth Quake/Ice Storm/Storm of Vengance/Reaving Roar.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Any combination of a CC spell and a DOT spell works well. You don't need to multiclass to do that though, in fact that makes it worse, as CC spells especially depend on difficulty checks, in other words, caster level.

Community Member Son_of_the_South's Avatar

OP - don't listen to IdleBigots (or anyone that has condescending, arrogant and down right rude advice), especially if they've only been playing the game for 5 minutes.

Clearly you know a Cleric/Sorc isn't the "best" class combo but you enjoy it. So play it and have fun with it.

My favorite combo is a Large Quarter Pounder with Cheese, fries and a coke. Then enjoying playing DDO however I damn well please.

:-)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by IdleBigots View Post
    ...the first 'combo' sounds like a ridiculous waste of SP. For that entire 'combo' to work, the mob will still have to be alive when you finally get around to casting niac's. You could cast niac's several times for the SP wasted on casting doom (a waste of a spell slot) and command. By getting in range to use hypnotism, you're also giving up the advantage of niac's; ray spells have double the range of normal spells.
    Well, in my tests, if I spam Cold Ray without the lowered save of Doom, it takes me an average of 5 to 6 rays to finally hit a guy in Elite difficulty. But with this combo, I get a hit usually right away or at the second try max. This saves me lots of time and also prevents the guy from closing in to me.

Remember, this is low level playing I am talking about. At high levels you won't even want to use cold ray.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_the_south View Post
    op - don't listen to idlebigots (or anyone that has condescending, arrogant and down right rude advice), especially if they've only been playing the game for 5 minutes.

Clearly you know a cleric/sorc isn't the "best" class combo but you enjoy it. So play it and have fun with it.

My favorite combo is a large quarter pounder with cheese, fries and a coke. Then enjoying playing ddo however i damn well please.

:-)

lol!!!! Good one buddy!!!

I come from [...]
    I highly suggest not to do that especially if you are a half elf and intended to play to level 28 on that character.

Any ideas?
    Waste of Spell Points. Why not just get a Conjuration focus stick on one hand and an Glaciation (or a combination of Potency) stick on another hand and just cast Niac's Cold Ray. You'll probably get the same/better results than casting hypnotism + doom.

My favorite combos at level 6? Web + Acid Blast (Less monsters resisting Acid)

Grease + Burning Hands (cheap firewall)

Favorites at level 25? 1. Double Rainbow + Nerve Venom + <Any Spell>
    2. Null Magic + <Any Spell>
    3. Symbol of Death + Cloud Kill + <Any Other Death Spell Combos> + <1 and/or 2 Above>

Favorites at level 28? Hoping to see something new...

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Daze monster plus otto's resistible dance is a killer single target combo. Daze carries a bigger will debuff than hypno and a lower SP cost and otto's resistible is pretty much a death sentence with the duration. Touch of idiocy works for that as well because of the WIS damage but daze has range and can be done while closing in to make for a safer approach.

Crushing despair or hypno plus deep slumber. This is more useful at low levels for most casters (because mass hold tends to be better) and the extra damage from helpless is not normally better than simply casting a damage spell twice. What is nice about it is that it gives sorcs/wizards a fascination style mezz for some situations that might be useful at times, and more importantly, it's great for my spell singer who wants to get some extra damage out of energy burst where the cool down becomes problematic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    Daze monster plus otto's resistible dance is a killer single target combo. Daze carries a bigger will debuff than hypno and a lower SP cost and otto's resistible is pretty much a death sentence with the duration. Touch of idiocy works for that as well because of the WIS damage but daze has range and can be done while closing in to make for a safer approach.

Crushing despair or hypno plus deep slumber. This is more useful at low levels for most casters (because mass hold tends to be better) and the extra damage from helpless is not normally better than simply casting a damage spell twice. What is nice about it is that it gives sorcs/wizards a fascination style mezz for some situations that might be useful at times, and more importantly, it's great for my spell singer who wants to get some extra damage out of energy burst where the cool down becomes problematic.
    Daze + Dance sounds really interesting against a single target! Does undeads have resistance or immunity against this combo? I really wanna try this combo out... gotta wait a week before I get enough spell exchange ...

Daze + Dance sounds really interesting against a single target! Does undeads have resistance or immunity against this combo? I really wanna try this combo out... gotta wait a week before I get enough spell exchange ...
    Undead are generally immune to many spells. Halt undead doesn't carry a save for mindless undead so even scroll casting it can be useful. Web works well on many of them too, and solid fog helps with the web save.

Daze it a great debuff because it's cheap and makes dance easier to land. It's actually cheaper to daze and dance than it is to heighten spell on dance to save SP if the debuff isn't really needed with heighten so a person can save SP that way at times.

EDIT: To clarify the question on undead, the debuff shows in the examine window and likely does debuff them but it's also possibly to just be a bug that has no actual effect. I haven't bothered testing.
    Last edited by Aashrym; 05-15-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    a powerful ally able to play in any role that the group needs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zonbLF-NMZg

Community Member

i rather like CURE LIGHT WOUNDS and CURE MODERATE WOUNDS together
    seems like 3 levels of cleric is all you really need
    true neutral poster... note the grey in my 'rep'
    kool-aid in my coffee! YEAH!
    {save me from myself}

Where the heck is the staple...

Otto's disco ball + mind fog

That's like CC-101!

Jesus pplz. Everyone gets an "F" for the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast