Smile DDOGamer: Neverwinter Annoys Me

The game Neverwinter has an "uncanny valley" relationship to DDO that is incredibly annoying.

-> Very incredibly annoying.

Hey I have to admit, that's a pretty fair and accurate review! And definitely good for laughs (in a good way).

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post
    The game Neverwinter has an "uncanny valley" relationship to DDO that is incredibly annoying.

-> Very incredibly annoying.
    One thing I will say is the thousands of hitpoints thing doesn't really create a problem. What you get hit for is also higher, what increasing the hp did is limited the chance for getting rng screwed letting them balance things a little easier, got rid of the mmo players that look at ddo's damage and go "what", and in general smoothed things up a little bit for a mmo. It's overall a cosmetic change imo.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

My husband put starter photos for DDO and Neverwinter together for his writeup on it for DHGF, and they are nearly identical. The ship, surrounding area layout, all laid out the same. The big difference is the dominant color of one is blue and the other is orange.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

What is DHGF?

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Sorry, http://diehardgamefan.com/. IT's a game review website. Ashe5k is what my husband writes under I think if you want to look up the photos.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

http://diehardgamefan.com/2013/05/07...inter-beta-pc/

I found the link to the thing he wrote with the pictures specifically.

Nice article. Thanks for the link

Community Member

I think Neverwinter is pretty good. I was able to change zones without DC'g and then having people tell me that it is on my end and I should reinstall my os.

Thumbs down What Annoys me is

When a person runs the tutorial of a game and one quest and makes any kind of claim about it.
    That is the same as doing the DDO tutorial and the Storehouse and thinking that is all DDO has to offer.
    I have 2 in NWO that are 30 and 2 that are 23.
    I have barely even touched the content that is already there.
    If people took this attitude towards DDO it would have died ages ago.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by chance2000 View Post
    When a person runs the tutorial of a game and one quest and makes any kind of claim about it.
    That is the same as doing the DDO tutorial and the Storehouse and thinking that is all DDO has to offer.
    I have 2 in NWO that are 30 and 2 that are 23.
    I have barely even touched the content that is already there.
    If people took this attitude towards DDO it would have died ages ago.
    Naturally, but at least he made it clear how far he got in. He also did some research in addition to his limited play. Take it from someone who has been playing for over 6 months now, his review is fairly accurate. Grant it, it's not a detailed review by any means, but he makes that clear at the get go.

Back in 2005/06, people absolutely trashed DDO. Hell I heard the same comments about DDO that I did Neverwinter, almost verbatim. Turbine was practically castrated for destroying/failing to properly emulate 3.5 Ed.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 05-14-2013 at 07:55 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Nice article. Thanks for the link
    You're welcome. Just um...don't tell him I had to use the search engines to find it. I'm a horrible wife, but I don't generally read his DHGF articles because I'm there when he's playtesting and writing the article, and therefore already heard all the love or hate he has for a game multiple times. LOL So I don't know how to find them off the top of my head. LOL

Cool

Well, right now, DDO is annoying me (especially the damn forums), and I have been playing it for over four years (ignore the Join Date, the account I originally started on is not this one). Despite that, good article Geoff, even if I disagree and think you are a bit biased with a few of your first points.

I say give it more time. The combat change does take some getting use to. I've been playing a few days and steadily making my way to 15th level (at 13th now) and I am still trying to tumble and strafe, etc., but alas, I will eventually get use to it.

Don't know if I will be leaving DDO permanently for this game or not (doubt it), but I do like the fact that there is plenty to do, once you are leveled some. Tired of hack n slashing through quests? Run your professions, and you can even do them online. Hit 15th level? Go play in the Foundry. Heck I hate PvP and I even tried some of it in this game, unfortunately my client crashed before I could start, but I am looking forward to a rematch.

Overall, give it more time, and I am on Mindflayer as Rutendo if you want to tag along (yes I recycle character names).
    Last edited by NytCrawlr; 05-15-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Good article. Bizarre use of "uncanny valley". I kind of get it but usually it's used in reference to movies like Polar Express or some Japanese robots.

Maybe you can expand on what you mean there.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Good article. Bizarre use of "uncanny valley". I kind of get it but usually it's used in reference to movies like Polar Express or some Japanese robots.

Maybe you can expand on what you mean there.
    Have a link! You may still find the reference to be bizarrely used, but so it goes in the high stakes world of DDO blogging!

Have a link! You may still find the reference to be bizarrely used, but so it goes in the high stakes world of DDO blogging!
    Thanks, I know what the uncanny valley is but was just trying to wrap my mind around the usage in the OP. I like using words and phrases in unique ways, just wanted to make sure I read the inference correctly by asking for your angle on the usage. But I'm over it now Cheers!

I don't understand how this thread has not been deleted as the forum is about DDO and not some other game