Community Member

Default New Playing seeking advice

Hello,

After looking over DDO, I finally decided to dl it. After reading more on it, and finding out that you can multi-class, I have decided to go with a Druid/Ranger as my first character. I just want to make sure that I am not setting myself up for complete failure in doing so. Is it possible to work? Anything specific I should be going after in either class?

Thank you for your help.

Community Member

If you plan to multiclass, the best way to check if it is ok or not is to take a sheet of paper and divide it in 2 columns

You choose your main class and in first column, you write down everything you DO NOT get by not going to level 20
    Write EVERYTHING (feat, hp, sp, skill,skill points,enhancement, BAB, save, Spell slot, spell penetration, PrE, capstone,...)
    Then in the second column, you write everything you gain

And you compare* the 2 columns. If you think you gain more than you lose, go and try it

* Some points are easy to compare : hp, BAB,sp... but some are harder to compare

Now for your Druid/Ranger i don't know
    Just be aware that it is easier to multiclass melee than pure caster (because pure caster lose a lot for each level : sp, spell penetration, spell level, spell slot, caster level (caster level affect spell duration, spell effect,...)

Community Member

Default Planning your character

Quote Originally Posted by DCProphet View Post
    Hello,

After looking over DDO, I finally decided to dl it. After reading more on it, and finding out that you can multi-class, I have decided to go with a Druid/Ranger as my first character. I just want to make sure that I am not setting myself up for complete failure in doing so. Is it possible to work? Anything specific I should be going after in either class?

Thank you for your help.
    You can also use this character planner to flesh out you new toon.

www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

In the end it comes down to play style and the most important thing, do you enjoy playing the toon. You can have the most powerful character made, but if you don't enjoy playing him/her then you should reroll and make on you do. Give it time to learn what you like and what you don't.

First off: rangers are F2P; druids are not. This comparison of account types will let you know what you can & can't access without paying.

Second, unless you're multiclassing purely for flavor reasons, the first thing you should ask yourself is what you hope to achieve by MCing - and just as importantly, what the downsides are. E.g., MCing any build means giving up their capstone; and MCing any caster class usually means giving up their higher-level spells in exchange for whatever you get from your other class(es).
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Community Member

Hello,

Thank you for your help.
    Because everyone was about as clear as mud about your build, let me help.

Yes, your build will work. Not so sure after the enhancement pass that is coming this summer, but their are lots of questions and not too many answers coming from Turbine at this point (It's still officially in Alpha testing).

As far as Split goes, you will only want 7 levels of Druid (If you go this split) as multi-classing casters is generally bad. What you are after from this split is the Fatal Harrier enhancement Druid level 7 (Link to Druid Enhancements)). The spell casting will be bonus (heals, buffs) but it is strictly supplementary.

Now you have a decision to make about how many levels of Ranger you want. Taking 12 levels gets you all the free Ranger Bonus Feats (TWF line, Many Shot) and you can take the first two tiers of Tempest if you take the correct pre-req's (Which I would suggest!!!).

(12 Ranger + 7 Druid = 19 levels total)
    Now you have one level to play with. Rogue allows you to play with Traps/Chests. Fighter gives you an Extra Martial Feat and +1 BAB. There are some other bonuses with a few other classes but I'm going to try and keep it simple with these two.

p.s. If you decide to go Rogue, always take it at level 1 for the bonus skill points!

As far as race, I would recommend Human or Half-Elf for the Human Versatility enhancements. Human if you go Rogue @ level 1 (innate +1 skills/level).

Stats -
    Con 14, Dex 14
    *If you go rogue, Int 10 or 12 (I prefer 12 but is personal preference)
    Everything else into STR
    All level up's into STR
    Everything else can be dumped and left at 8.

Gear -
    The only thing you need to be extremely aware of is that you will need +Wisdom gear to cast spells. This will make early levels a pain but nothing impossible. You could raise Wisdom at creation but at some point you will want to use a Heart of Wood if you do (Which costs money unless you get lucky and find one).

Leveling up -
    (If Rogue) RDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRRRRR...(You get the idea)
    (Otherwise) DDDDDDDRRR...(You get the idea)...RF

Feats -
    Toughness
    Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack (Req. for Tempest PrE)
    Improved Critical Slashing or Piercing
    Power Attack

As far as play style...
    Play as a wolf until level 12 but eventually you will do more DPS as a Ranger TWF'ing. Regardless, Reaving Roar will be better than Fetal Harrier while leveling, you will just have to reset your enhancements at some point, which is no problem. Also note that this build is normally done with Monk and not Ranger

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssal_Mage View Post
    Yes, your build will work.
    It 'will work', in the sense that you will be able to complete content. But there is no real synergy between the classes, and that type of combination will in all respects be subpar. I got the feeling that the people suggesting that you write out the advantages and losses from the multiclassing were trying to say this, but without wanting to actually come out and say 'That's not going to work well'.

There are a lot of people who play suboptimal characters in DDO, and have quite a lot of fun doing so. But you asked how a Druid/Ranger multiclass would work out, and the answer is not terribly well.

OP: here's a sample druid / rgr build to give you some ideas of what's involved when you want to multiclass.

High concept: take advantage of the free TWF & ranged feats from rgr; combine it with the better buffs, heals & no-save DPS spells (namely Ice Storm and Creeping Cold) from druid; add Nature's Warrior for Fatal Harrier (which applies to ranged & melee atks); and for extra flavor / gimpitude, make it an Arcane Archer. Oh, and try to keep it a 28-pt F2P build (apart from druid), just to prove I can.
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 25 True Neutral Elf Female
    (6 Ranger \ 1 Wizard \ 13 Druid \ 5 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 368
    Spell Points: 1230 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 13
    Will: 12

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 25)
    Strength             16                    26
    Dexterity            17                    19
    Constitution         14                    16
    Intelligence          8                    10
    Wisdom                8                    10
    Charisma              8                    10

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Level 1 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot

Level 2 (Ranger)

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Ranger)
    Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons

Level 7 (Druid)

Level 8 (Druid)
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Wolf

Level 9 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell

Level 11 (Druid)

Level 12 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Bear

Level 13 (Druid)

Level 14 (Druid)

Level 15 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Winter Wolf

Level 16 (Druid)

Level 17 (Druid)

Level 18 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Dire Bear

Level 19 (Druid)

Level 20 (Druid)
    Feat: (Druid Wild Shape) Wild Shape: Water Elemental
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Acid Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Explosive Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Burst Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Slaying Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Imbue Terror Arrows
    Enhancement: Druid Beastial Nature I
    Enhancement: Druid Beastial Nature II
    Enhancement: Druid Fatal Harrier
    Enhancement: Druid Nature's Warrior I
    Enhancement: Druid Nature's Warrior II
    Enhancement: Druid Shifting Rake I
    Enhancement: Druid Shifting Rake II
    Enhancement: Druid Vengeful Hunter I
    Enhancement: Druid Vengeful Hunter II
    Enhancement: Elven Arcanum I
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Damage I
    Enhancement: Elven Ranged Damage I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +2 Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +3 Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +4 Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer: Conjure +5 Arrows
    Enhancement: Elven Arcane Archer I
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Hoarfrost I
    Enhancement: Druid Waxing Hoarfrost II
    Enhancement: Druid Zenith of Hoarfrost I
    Enhancement: Frost Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Ranger Devotion I
    Enhancement: Ranger Devotion II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Hoarfrost IV
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life I
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life II
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life III
    Enhancement: Druid Eminence of Life IV
    Enhancement: Druid Strength I
    Enhancement: Druid Strength II
    Enhancement: Druid Toughness I
    Enhancement: Druid Toughness II

Level 21 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 22 (Druid)

Level 23 (Druid)

Level 24 (Druid)
    Feat: (Selected) Precision

Level 25 (Druid)
    The wiz splash meets the AA pre-req (thru elven Arcanum) and adds a metamagic feat.

For the first several levels, she mostly plays like a typical ranger, alternating between archery w/Manyshot & TWF w/scimitars while MS is on cooldown. Once she gets some druid levels under her belt, however, her options open up; she can mix up her DPS with Creeping Cold & Ice Storm (which have no saves) and use Sleet Storm to blind enemies. Plus she gets better buffs & heals than a pure rgr would; no Heal, unfortunately, but Death Ward, Stoneskin, Fire Shield, Regenerate, and Mass Greater Vigor are certainly nice to have. At lvl 20 she gets water elemental form: Freezing Spray -> Gtr Creeping Cold -> Creeping Cold -> Manyshot w/icy-bursted bow lets her put out a lot of DPS on a single target (as long as they aren't cold-resistant).

Main drawbacks: dump-stating WIS makes spellcasting a hassle (base 8 + 2 tome + 7 item = 17 for lvl 7 spells); misses out on lvl 8 & 9 druid spells; won't have the caster DPS of a pure WIS-based druid (big duh); AA & NW pre-reqs are expensive enough that they crowd out other enhs.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Community Member

Being a new player myself (playing for about a month now) I am currently building a pretty similar character - 17 Druid, 2 Monk, 1 Ranger, Elf.
    Why this combination ? Well, pure classes seem to be pretty boring and most of them not very versatile in their playstyle.
    If you want a caster class in your multiclass build it should be of a high level, there are several reasons for this.
    1: Spellpoints, you get progressively more of them the higher the level of your caster class, the last couple of levels usually give you about 100 per level up in the caster class.
    2: Spells, the last ones arent always the best ones, but you get more slots to equip lower level spells as well as improving some of them, also the chance for your spells to hit or take effect on enemys rises with your level in your caster class, not your total character level.

It would be bit lengthy to explain why I want that exact multiclass, but the most important thing when multiclassing and including a Druid I found out to be is that you should try not to take more than 3 levels in other classes since that would make your Druid class more ineffective than the other class levels would benefit you. The other non caster classes usually give helpful complements to you even (or especially) at their very low levels.
    With my build the key benefits would be that the Druid class remains mostly intact, the main loss being about 300 total spellpoints and a less effective animal shape (which I want to replace with archery, which is why I multiclass in the first place), while gaining 3 additional feats and other nice extras to build up a ranged bow component and some more defensive capabilities. Elf race complements this nicely with summoned scimitars (dont break a monks needed centered state) , bow+scimitar upgrades and arcane archer.
    Not sure if this will be the most effective multiclass for a Druid, but it will be viable and fun I think.

If you want to solo mostly or go into melee, 15 Druid, 3 monk and 2 Ranger would be an option as well.
    You have to be neutral-lawful if you want to make something similar, otherwise you cant take monk levels later on, but you will be much farther away from being a Druid in play style than the 2 fewer levels suggest.

Just level up as Druid normally would (put points into str,dex and con at creation until it says it will cost 2 per level, rest in wisdom) and then when you have time or interest read up on the wiki about the other classes, no need to multiclass right from the start.

Druid and Ranger have a lot in common in the Dungeons and Dragons universe. Because of this it is very common to see the two associated closely and for people to want to blend them via multiclassing.

In DDO what seems intuitive in D&D doesn't always translate well. There are a lot of things that D&D offers that is implemented in a different way, or not at all, in DDO.

This makes the Druid/Ranger multiclass something of a challenge.

I personally do not find Druid to be especially strong as a DDO character class. It is relatively weak as a melee class. It does have some strength as a caster class.

What I would probably do if I wanted the flavor of a Druid/Ranger in DDO is play a Druid using the elf or half-elf race and then use the racial ability to take the Arcane Archer prestige enhancements. I would then focus on the casting ability of the Druid class and supplement that with ranged combat via Arcane Archer.

Otherwise, because of the way DDO differs from D&D, IMO the two classes don't synergize well.

Hello,

Thank you for your help.
    First off, I would never, ever, ever recommend a new player multi-class. EVER. Why? Because you have a giant learning curve already ahead of you just learning basic game mechanics, quests, etc. No need to add complications to that.

Second, I always suggest that if you are new to any class, you need to play it to level 20 at the very least before considering doing a multi-class. If you are planning to multi-class, you need to play BOTH classes to 20 first. Learn what a pure build with capstone can do before planning to give it up. Enhancements and feats sometimes seem different on paper than they play in-game.

Third, if you are thinking that a druid/ranger will play like a certain character in a book, it won't. And the name has been used in every possible form. Be original.

Fourth, hit points are far more important than you think. I am not saying you must have any certain number, but the more you have, the better you survive. Constitution points and toughness feats are very important. I would suggest that you take the toughness feat first every life until you can explain to an experienced player why you really don't need it. By then you will have enough real gaming experience to KNOW how to manage without it.

Fifth, the absolute best way for a new player to survive and thrive can be summed up in a few statements. I may miss some, so I encourage others to add to this list:

1. Tell everyone you are new. No-one likes a know-it-all who dies every 2 minutes. Admit you are new, and listen to instructions. Follow those instructions to the best of your ability. Ask questions. People will forgive you dying every few minutes if they know you are new and trying hard.

2. LISTEN to instructions. FOLLOW THEM. Yes, I know it is a repeat, but it bears repeating.

3. Go look up the quests on DDOWiki. Read them. Look at the maps. You don't necessarily need to do this before each quest if you like the surprise, but do go read it afterward. Bookmark DDOWiki.

4. Don't hit any enemies first if you are in a party. Let the fighter/barb/anyone with experience get the aggro. This will reduce your deaths an unbelievable amount. You can help kill them once someone else hits them, but let them go first.

5. Spells work on line of sight only. If the person trying to heal you can't see you because you are down the hall or around the corner(even behind a tiny pillar), you will not receive any healing. They have 5 people to keep healed up. You have one person to keep track of to get healed. Guess who has to know where who is...YOU need to know where THEY are, and get yourself positioned close to them.
    Last edited by Susie1262; 05-22-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zemuze, Zeeby

Community Member

... finding out that you can multi-class...
    This part sounds like you are new to DDO and also new to D&D. IF so, then it is probably simpler to use a single class for your first character. A human fighter is simple to play and advance.

It is one of those things that if you have to ask then you shouldn't be doing it.