Community Member

Default A new invasion boss... really?

Is it necessary to have this boss be... well... impossible?

This could otherwise be a fun quest, and quest package. But I never see anyone do it (at least at level on elite) because the damn boss is just... impossible. Never ever have I seen, or even heard f it being completed on elite.

Way to ruin a good package Turbine...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by skaught78 View Post
    Never ever have I seen, or even heard f it being completed on elite.
    I can assure you that this is something that was done quite regularly when Yugoloth potions were more highly valued, before Update 14.

The key to killing this boss is to be constantly moving him to a different platform, so that you do not get caught in the trap. This is much easier for a caster or ranged attacker to do, but melee characters can manage as well by beating on him for a few seconds, and then healing up (and making sure to remove his curse) as you head to the next one. If you are still having trouble with him you might post some specifics about what exactly your hangup is.
    Last edited by ForumAccess; 06-06-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Community Member

Typically what happens is:

Last three lives was a fighter. Someone goes in to solo the boss, usually a caster or someone with blade barrier. They say soloing is better... not sure why that is as of yet.

They go in, they die. So people drp in one at a time to try to either rez them, or pick up where they left off. They go in, they die. One by one, people die off until party wipe.

Or we go in all at once, and pretty much hear an explosion and all die simultaneously. Party wipe.

I've read the wiki, been in with experienced and powerful players... party wipe every time...

Completed it once without BB by having a level 25 FVS solo him, but actually getting XP would be nice.

I put up LFMs for it, no one wants to join cause they know it can't be done. Put up LFM for normal run to get flagged no one wants to join cause don't want to loose BB. Put up LFM for No bb/no XP no one joins cause they want the XP.

I never put up threads that complain about game difficulty, but this quest is just ridiculous!

The battle is a matter of practice and killing/CCing the air elemental as soon as you can target it. It is not THAT hard, you just need to learn the pattern, DPS the boss faster than he can regenerate, and keep yourself healed. It is much easier on a ranged character and a caster because of that (you can keep DPS up while moving). Ah, and don't use the stronger SF potion. You can't afford to lose mobility down there.

Completed it once without BB by having a level 25 FVS solo him, but actually getting XP would be nice.
    A level 25 characters on elite amrath still let you earn XP (with -10% from overlevel penalty), UNLESS you are level 18 (because of powerlevel penalties). If you are level 19, you take an additional -50% from powerleveling, and if you are 20+, everything is even.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Assuming the air elementals are taken care of, you don't even need the mobility. It's easier and safer to move back and forth across the same two tiles, rather than the 'full circle run' style that most groups seem to adapt.

Unless you are down there by yourself, or have very good voice comms and group communication, I'd expect the circle run strategy to get your group killed very quickly on elite.

What sets the tiles off is having weight on them for a certain amount of time. Note that soul stones count. A little while after the weight has been on the tile, the trap portal opens, and you have a few seconds to move on to another tile before it goes off.

So you can stand close to the edge of one tile, fight until the portal opens, then just step over the edge to the next tile. Then fight on that tile until the portal opens, and step back onto the first tile. This way, if something goes wrong, you still have four tiles in the room that are 'clean', if you are worried, you can just shift over and wait for the two tiles you were fighting on to run through their trap cycles.

If doing the circle method it's possible for things to get really screwed up, people don't wait long enough beofre running to the next tile, so that roughly half of the room is dangerous. And then someone gets killed or chained or knocked down and by the time the rest of the group gets back around the circle again, they have traps going off both behind and ahead of them.

So, what you want to do is something like this:
    FVS/Cleric/Paladin (light monk, bard) goes to tank the boss, he sticks to two tiles

Pale master / Sorc (bard, fvs) also goes down the hole, aggros the air elementals, and sticks to two different tiles.
    He then CCs and/or kills the air eles, and cycles onto the same tile set as the boss beater is using or uses DD to get out.

This also leaves two open tiles either for an emergency move, if either of the two guys down the hole needs it, or a place for a third guy/group to operate, and provide heals, or additional DPS against the air elementals, or whatever.

Once the air elementals are down, whoever is staying down the hole should all gravitate to the same two tiles, so that there's more tiles open for an emergency. Then, it's just a matter of DPSing and DoTing the boss down.

The run in a full circle around the room and throw blade barriers probably won't work on elite.

Community Member

Is it necessary to have this boss be... well... impossible?

This could otherwise be a fun quest, and quest package. But I never see anyone do it (at least at level on elite) because the damn boss is just... impossible. Never ever have I seen, or even heard f it being completed on elite.

Way to ruin a good package Turbine...
    not sure if amrath has some relation with good xp(the xp at end of very quest sucks, if u then calc xp/min just can cry/suicide) or fun, that's a lvl 19 pack on NORM, so don't expect going there w/o clue of the quest, well geared, and ofc being underlevel, you could go underlevel if had rest of prereqs(i don't take 20 til i hit the xp, so do it at 18 when want the yugopots, because gonna tr as soon as hit 20), as example reaver's refuge, lord of eyes and vale, aren't easy too, just have more ppl playing it, they spread the knowledge,etc

it use to be completed on elite, and 99% times the boss is soloed, because having more than 2 players down there is almost a guaranteed wipe, and all the stuff that is known about that(and other) quest is on the wiki:

bb doesnt work on elite, boss is immune to it

the named ele is the main difference between hard an elite, he's the reason of the diff in that quest, rest of mechanic is just a stress test

between the activation of the portal(you see a black hole) and the damage dealt(can get hit by 700ish) you have time enough to move from 1 tile to another, if you get chained(the worst that can happen to you) have time enough to cross tiles being near the middle, not to close or will get a nice trap blast in your face, also can use cannith boot, air savant 3rd pre, or fvs wings.

if you're doing the "1st you try, if die i go, etc" your 1st objective is getting the soulstone, and jump down immediately after the player dies, so the boss doesnt refill the hp and the air ele doesnt respawn