Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    I will play it through. DDO after 5 years is just broke for me, and these forums are just terrible. Summer is almost here, so I'll be dumping my sub and going premium.
    Well, I just came back after a 9 months break, and, after jumping from mmorpg to another (including NWO, GW2, Fallen Earth, APB etc), I realize that DDO is one of the kind.

I'll stick with DDO until they release ESO

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewSlarden View Post

As for hack and slash - that is what both games are. What do you call it when people farm Jungle of Khyber or Wizard King - deep thinking?
    No player controlled development = everyone has the same toon and you cant do anything about a programmed character's weaknesses. To me, HnS describes those game from start to finish. DDO has character development that allows you to limit weakness and build on strengths YOUR way and not how the programmers tell you it's gonna be. In DDO we can overcome programmer short comings, prejudice for a build type and miscalculations in monster CRs. In other games, you're just SoL.

And FYI, I've played DnD for 35 yrs. This is one of 3 PC games I found to be even remotely clsoe to PnP. (other 2 were BG and NwN and not NWO). NwN was the best of these because you could create your own modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post
    ... And FYI, I've played DnD for 35 yrs. This is one of 3 PC games I found to be even remotely clsoe to PnP. (other 2 were BG and NwN and not NWO). NwN was the best of these because you could create your own modules.
    LOL another oldtimer like myself .. it's good to see.

I would also say NWN was the best of breed. The best part is that our regular group of guildies used to have a Thursday night get together for guild runs and this hase moved .. you guessed it .. back to Neverwinter Nights.

What's even better is that is most of the guildies who used to play DDO 40+ hours a week that haven't been online in months have come back to run in our NWN Thursday nights game. Just can't beat the fun of having a live DM, granted it's a little slower going when the action dims and the RP fires up but so much more fun happens it's easy to overlook.

Community Member

No player controlled development = everyone has the same toon and you cant do anything about a programmed character's weaknesses. To me, HnS describes those game from start to finish. DDO has character development that allows you to limit weakness and build on strengths YOUR way and not how the programmers tell you it's gonna be. In DDO we can overcome programmer short comings, prejudice for a build type and miscalculations in monster CRs. In other games, you're just SoL.

And FYI, I've played DnD for 35 yrs. This is one of 3 PC games I found to be even remotely clsoe to PnP. (other 2 were BG and NwN and not NWO). NwN was the best of these because you could create your own modules.
    Some people might say if you are restricted in builds with DDO as well. You want to build a ranger? You better make him half elf and throw in 6 monk levels for 10k stars. How much variation is there with a high DC palemaster? If you try to be too creative in this game you could very well end up gimped.

I like DDO and I like NWO. I don't find one better than the other. It's a matter of opinion so there is no right or wrong answer.

Do you remember when DDO went over 100k facebook likes recently? NWO just went into open beta and they are about to cross that. So many people apparently like NWO despite the shortcomings you see. The things that you see as negatives some others see as positives.

As for me, I like DDO a lot, but the guild system really sucks the fun out of the game for me. And now that people are off playing NWO (either temporarily or permanently) so I have to sit and watch as our guild renown drops every day since I am the only one playing and it's not enough to cover our decay tax. I honestly wouldn't recommend DDO to anyone because of the stupid things like decay.

And how many builds are anything other than copies a few generic builds here? You get mild variation but most builds follow certain rules or are gimp builds that don't work.

You have basic pure class builds for each prc mostly
    Then you have a few 12/6/2
    A few 18/2
    and the juggernaut builds in a few flavors

Yes there are only 5 pure class builds in nwo atm and they probably won't have multi-classing, but for what they have I don't see much of a difference other than new players can't really gimp themselves into worthlessness.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    And how many builds are anything other than copies a few generic builds here? You get mild variation but most builds follow certain rules or are gimp builds that don't work.

You have basic pure class builds for each prc mostly
    Then you have a few 12/6/2
    A few 18/2
    and the juggernaut builds in a few flavors

Yes there are only 5 pure class builds in nwo atm and they probably won't have multi-classing, but for what they have I don't see much of a difference other than new players can't really gimp themselves into worthlessness.
    As to NWO builds...there's more than 5 builds - for the class I've gotten to 60 so far, there's 2 main builds within the only currently available paragon path - as time progresses, and more paragon paths are released, there'll be even more builds within each class. There's a decent bit of diversity, but you don't really see it until end-game....nowhere near as much diversity as DDO had pre-u14, though.

In all honesty, I'm seeing more effective diversity in NWO's builds than I've seen in a lot of players in EE GH - a lot of DDO's build options are false build options, ones that look like a choice but really just gimp your character....and unfortunately, Turbine is making that even more restrictive as time goes on (and supposedly, ESO is going to be freer about that than DDO is now).

Personally, this negative influence is making DDO less fun for me. Combine that with the forums being MUCH less user-friendly, and tiring of both EE GH and TRing as end-games (with no change to either in sight, as u18 isn't even epic content)....I'm finding myself logging on just once every few days to do one to two dungeons, and I'm seeing a lot of other people in similar boats. By comparison, NWO has been quite fun lately, so that's where I've been this week. :P

Edit: And let's not forget the fact that I'm having to post under dravael rather than Wruntjunior, as Turbine seems to be in no rush whatsoever to fix that particularly annoying issue.
    The real Wruntjunior.
    My Channel: link
    My EE Solos: link

Quote Originally Posted by retbarrier View Post
    Well, I just came back after a 9 months break, and, after jumping from mmorpg to another (including NWO, GW2, Fallen Earth, APB etc), I realize that DDO is one of the kind.

I'll stick with DDO until they release ESO
    I have done that exact same thing. (mmo jumping) But with the upcoming changes, I see no point in working towards my current goals, only for those goals to change once again for the 5+ time in the past 18 months. And these forums, after the change are just terrible....

Quote Originally Posted by dravael View Post

Edit: And let's not forget the fact that I'm having to post under dravael rather than Wruntjunior, as Turbine seems to be in no rush whatsoever to fix that particularly annoying issue.
    And look at the feedback we are getting again on the issues at hand. No word from the devs yet again on what to expect.
    Tolero's last post on 5/9 ??
    Cordovan's last post 5/13 about login issues.

This mushroom is in NWO for now

Community Member

Checked out the enhancement pass on Lammaland, decided to play more SWTOR as anything I do in DDO will be stomped on anyway. The monk I enjoyed playing for a couple years is going to be drawn and quartered and a hairy gnome will defile the corpse, so, yeah. Nothing to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by adfsdasdaf View Post
    Checked out the enhancement pass on Lammaland, decided to play more SWTOR as anything I do in DDO will be stomped on anyway. The monk I enjoyed playing for a couple years is going to be drawn and quartered and a hairy gnome will defile the corpse, so, yeah. Nothing to look forward to.
    Don't forget after the gnome has his way with the monks corpse a sweaty troll will come and devour it.

Community Member

I took a week or so off for Skyrim as a break from the bugs and lag. Loved it, and giving a few days back at DDO to see if a break is good, or DDO really is just so bad it's worth cutting off like a bad addiction.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    And look at the feedback we are getting again on the issues at hand. No word from the devs yet again on what to expect.
    Tolero's last post on 5/9 ??
    Cordovan's last post 5/13 about login issues.

This mushroom is in NWO for now
    They may be busy playing NWO . Don't make them mad or they won't group with you in NWO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by adfsdasdaf View Post
    Yup, me too. Honestly the lamannia preview just turned me off to DDO in general. The game is long in the tooth and needs fixing, but the changes they are putting in aren't helping imo. Yeah yeah it is still in alpha and I'll reassess once it is fixed. But that still can't change the same old stale content, and doesn't change the fact that they aren't fixing bugs and probably never will at this point.

NWO is a flawed games in many respects and DDO is in theory a better game but I am sure having fun on NWO at the moment. Certainly it is worth a try (and you really need to play to at least level 20 before you can fairly judge it). Perhaps it is flavor of the month but I'm having a good time.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Utzpretzels View Post
    Yup, me too. Honestly the lamannia preview just turned me off to DDO in general. The game is long in the tooth and needs fixing, but the changes they are putting in aren't helping imo. Yeah yeah it is still in alpha and I'll reassess once it is fixed. But that still can't change the same old stale content, and doesn't change the fact that they aren't fixing bugs and probably never will at this point.

NWO is a flawed games in many respects and DDO is in theory a better game but I am sure having fun on NWO at the moment. Certainly it is worth a try (and you really need to play to at least level 20 before you can fairly judge it). Perhaps it is flavor of the month but I'm having a good time.
    I'd say you don't really appreciate how difficult NWO can be until you've gotten at least to the volcano area...that place will teach you just how easily you can be destroyed. >_>
    The real Wruntjunior.
    My Channel: link
    My EE Solos: link

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12