Angry Crash when entering explorer areas

I crash constantly when entering explorer zone. Desert, Orchard and Searing Heights I'll crash if I've been playing for a while and try to zone in.

In the King's Forest I will crash each and every time. Here is a run down of my last attempt to play in this area.

Zone in. Crash. Relog.
    Run to Unquiet Graves. Complete quest. Finish out. Crash. Relog.
    Recall. Immediately step into King's Forest. Crash. Relog.
    Run to Impossible Demands. Complete quest. Finish out. Crash. Relog.

I'd really like to play these quest but I can't without a very patient party. I tried reinstalling the game and it still crashes. Is there any help for this?

Thanks.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

What's your system ?

XP, Vista ? 7 ? 8 ? 32 Bits or 64 Bits ?

How much RAM do you have ?

If you dig a bit in the forum there's a post that gives a few tweaks to Windows to address those crashes. IIRC it was posted by Missing_Mind.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Default Among the player base:

Quote Originally Posted by coolpenguin410 View Post
    I crash constantly when entering explorer zone. Desert, Orchard and Searing Heights I'll crash if I've been playing for a while and try to zone in.

In the King's Forest I will crash each and every time. Here is a run down of my last attempt to play in this area.

Zone in. Crash. Relog.
    Run to Unquiet Graves. Complete quest. Finish out. Crash. Relog.
    Recall. Immediately step into King's Forest. Crash. Relog.
    Run to Impossible Demands. Complete quest. Finish out. Crash. Relog.

I'd really like to play these quest but I can't without a very patient party. I tried reinstalling the game and it still crashes. Is there any help for this?

Thanks.

Among the player base this is a known issue, and has been happening for years.

While I did not 'fix' the problem on my end, and I know you don't want to hear this, I reduced the occurrences of this happening to me by upgrading my OS from win7 32 bit to win7 64 bit and adding another 4 gig of ram for a total of 8 gig.

I understand not everyone has $150 to dump into a machine just so they can play a game, but none of the other suggestions helped me.

One thing I did do, that may have had a hand, i installed Ccleaner and ran it, and it does seem to help with slow log in times (the 4 minute load in when you select character) and might possibly help clear things for the zone in issue as well, I just can't say for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    What's your system ?

XP, Vista ? 7 ? 8 ? 32 Bits or 64 Bits ?

How much RAM do you have ?

If you dig a bit in the forum there's a post that gives a few tweaks to Windows to address those crashes. IIRC it was posted by Missing_Mind.
    I've tried digging around a bit and only found one post even mentioning this. Nothing about about a fix or tweak.

I'm running XP with 3.25 GB of RAM. There's actually 4 in there, but windows will only recognize 3.25.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coolpenguin410 View Post
    I've tried digging around a bit and only found one post even mentioning this. Nothing about about a fix or tweak.

I'm running XP with 3.25 GB of RAM. There's actually 4 in there, but windows will only recognize 3.25.
    Seems the Search Function is as broken as the rest of the forum... As I can't even find my own posts linking to the post I mentioned, I always get the following : Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

*shakehead* talk about an improvement.

Ok, took me time and I had to use Google instead of the internal forum search ( FUBARED really beyond repair ), but I have it : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post4467420

In your case it's the link for 32 bits systems only :

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...89420350764/1/

While windows XP recognize 3.25 Gb out of the 4Gb RAM, it doesn't tells it to DDO.

I'm also under XP and with 4GB of RAM and this workaround solved 90% of my crashes. ( I still crash after several alt jumping when entering some areas )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    Seems the Search Function is as broken as the rest of the forum... As I can't even find my own posts linking to the post I mentioned, I always get the following : Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

*shakehead* talk about an improvement.

Ok, took me time and I had to use Google instead of the internal forum search ( FUBARED really beyond repair ), but I have it : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post4467420

In your case it's the link for 32 bits systems only :

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...89420350764/1/

While windows XP recognize 3.25 Gb out of the 4Gb RAM, it doesn't tells it to DDO.

I'm also under XP and with 4GB of RAM and this workaround solved 90% of my crashes. ( I still crash after several alt jumping when entering some areas )
    Thank you Flavilandile, but it doesn't work for me. I only got more errors and couldn't even get DDO to run. Something about Direct3D not being found.

Community Member

For me what seemed to help the most was getting a faster hard drive.
    It seems at least for me, the crashes happen when DDO cannot load the new stuff fast enough, meaning I could see that my hard drive was near maxed then I would crash.
    Now with a SSD the issue has pretty much gone away only happens once every couple of weeks as apposed to a few a day.

I used to always crash when entering the Desert... I just dealt with it for a year or so... But when I got a new computer a couple years back (Win 7, 6 GB of RAM), and re-installed DDO, the problem went away completely. I have never crashed entering an explorer zone since.

Now I'm not saying you should buy a new computer to fix DDO's problem... But it might not be a bad idea to re-install the OS, or upgrade to Win 7/8 and buy some more memory (memory is super cheap right now).

It's a good idea to wipe your Windows computer every couple of years and install a fresh OS anyway... You'll probably notice a huge improvement in ALL things even if you changed nothing, and just re-installed Win XP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Community Member

I've always had the same exact problem. My setup is old: xp 32bit 3.25gb memory. I've tried all to no avail. Newest drivers, battlefield "fix" (doesn't work, slows down the os), ssd, software audio device output.

Reproducing the crash is easy. Enter and exit any wilderness after login. Then enter either sands/eveningstar forest or teleport to necro (with ship navigator). Those are guaranteed to crash the client on my setup.

Community Member

If you are low on budget you can try to run DDO from an USB Stick.

You need about 8GB but to be on the save side I suggest to by a 16GB stick.

For me the stick reduced the number of crashes. In the case of a crash, the game starts much faster than from my slow HDD.

Talking

I think I got it fixed!

After reading Thrudh and Theolyn's posts, I was contemplating buying a new PC (this one a is a few years old and I haven't upgraded in a while, it was time anyways). In preparation for that, I formatted my backup drive so I could perform a thorough backup. While doing that, I did some Spring cleaning and started removing old software I don't use any more. I cleaned up about 25% of my hard drive's free space, bringing it under 50% capacity. I then followed this with a defrag.

I then logged into DDO. I wasn't intending to test this as a fix, I just wanted to do some Gianthold slayers. I rarely crash there. Anyways, after about half an hour of slaying, I was killed by the dragon and found myself in Eveningstar. I figured I'd test out the changes I made and jumped into King's Forest, fingers crossed, and...no crash! I ran around there for another 10-20 minutes and recalled. I spent another 10 minutes selling and checking the AH. I was heading to bed anyways so I thought I'd give it one more try. Jumped back into King's Forest and it held again!

Time will tell if this is a true fix or I just got lucky. If I don't post again, it must have worked because I'll be playing DDO too much to post.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and help!

Ok, so it wasn't a true fix. I crashed twice last night, but only when entering from Eveningstar and the relog was pretty fast. It's not ideal, but at least it's manageable until I can look into a hardware solution.