Community Member

Default Buildling a character without using the presets?

Hello. I'm not sure how this works, but I've seen in previews of others playing DDO that it is possible to build your character without using presets. I would like to consider trying this if possible, but I'm not that experienced in Dungeons and Dragons. I have a lot of knowledge about RPG gaming in general, but not much at all about D&D.

So my questions are, is it possible to build a character without using a preset, and how difficult is it for those who aren't that familiar with D&D but are familiar with RPG gaming? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

DDO has a steep ish learning curve but that is part of the fun there is an excellent character planner which can be found here ---> http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

If you still struggle then post on the forums asking what sort of character you want to play and the boffins here can plan a character for you using the afore mentioned tool

Welcome to DDO!

Stoner81.

Community Member

Thumbs up Play A Preset Character to L15 First

Quote Originally Posted by fluent2332 View Post
    is it possible to build a character without using a preset
    Yeah, you can build a customized character. However, lacking knowledge of DDO means that your custom creations will be wrong, as DDO does not fit the D&D molds exactly.

The way I learned to play DDO was to take a preset character (a Cleric that I named Slootch on the Argonnessen server, who I am not sure we can look-up anymore, who took the Font of Healing preset) and take him to Level 20, run some Epics with him, then get the free True Reincarnation (20 Epic Dungeon Tokens). I knew exactly what I wanted once I reached Level 15, however, and that is when I created Godholm as my first customized character (who was a Cleric).

The preset build allowed me to learn about the classes and party roles in the game and then more about what I wanted and did not want, based on what was fun for me. I think that if you go customized as your first toon, you will likely get so frustrated that you will be back here on the Forums asking people for advice on how to build. And then they will give you generic advice like, "just get more hit points" and how to make your spellcaster do melee functions and weird stuff like that.

My advice is to avoid the Forums like I did, play the preset class that you want, then play it up to L15. Some people's learning curves are different, but I learned this game in some time between 3-6 months of playing. Some folks have been playing for 7 years and still build the same ways as when DDO was not free-to-play and did not have as many good players in the community. So if you pay attention to what the preset does during your leveling and how to use what it gives to you, then you will learn what you need to know for customizing later. My advice is not to start off with a customized build before reaching L15 on a preset.

Snootch

Community Member

Looking over the feats and enhancements at ddowiki.com will also get you pointed in the direction of where you want your character to go and the prerequisites you'll need. If Skills (as in the skills you allocate skill points to each level in the list of "Skills") are important to your character you'll also have to pay attention to skill points per level and how many bonus Int points you'll need.