Question spell resistance question

I have a ring of spell res (19) and was wondering if i really need it, or would I be better of with a ring that benefits my toon in another way?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spadeathome View Post
    I have a ring of spell res (19) and was wondering if i really need it, or would I be better of with a ring that benefits my toon in another way?

thanks

What class, race, and level toon are we talking about? What would you replace it with?

SR is nice, but not game breaking. There's a lot of variables at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    What class, race, and level toon are we talking about? What would you replace it with?

SR is nice, but not game breaking. There's a lot of variables at play here.
    Im a dwarf ranger/rogue/fighter 15/1/1. (what is SR short for)? have a ring an balance 15 on other ring. i dont need anything to boost attruibtes.

Community Member

SR = Spell Resistance

As far as I'm aware, mob caster level is their CR rating. Since you're level 17, SR19 won't do much of anything at all.

My old reign ring -- bta SR19 ML1 -- is fantastic to get through the lower levels, but short of that, spell resistance won't do much for you once you hit the mid-teens.

Your other ring isn't likely doing much for you either, btw. Balance only applies after you get knocked down (trip, cometfall, etc...) when you roll to get back up. It doesn't help avoid being knocked down. And the check to get back up is pretty low, so it's possible your +15 balance ring doesn't do anything at all for you if you already make your balance check on a 1.

For a good ring, consider dr. Common choices are ring of the djinn or ring of the mire. Since you're mainly a ranger -- as opposed to a dps spellcaster -- ring of the stalker is probably best-in-slot for the other ring.
    Last edited by Ellis_Dee; 05-11-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Community Member

Building a 'good' gear set can be complicated. The abilities you want to have can be offered in several different gear slots, so getting one piece of 'better' gear may require changing a lot of your other gear too. In addition, getting most of the good stuff can take forever. By the time you finally get a piece of gear, you may have leveled past the level that the piece of gear was useful for.

But here's an outline of a 'complete' set of gear for a character like yours, and why we want all of it:

Head Tereza's Perfect Sight (+6 Wisdom, True Seeing, Sora Kell Set)
    Goggles Dream Visor (Heroic Elite) (+15 Spot, +2 damage + ghost touch, Yellow Slot - empty)
    Neck Silver Flame Talisman (Deathblock, Negative Energy absorption/10)
    Cloak Cloak of Invisibility (Ghostly, (Other stuff), Green Slot - Slot +10 Physical Resistance)
    Armor Black Dragonhide Armor (Light Armor, Haste Guard, Armor Piercing 10%, Relentless Fury, Greater Acid Resistance)
    Belt Random +6 Consittution Belt
    Bracers Nightforge Armbands (Improved false life, Yellow Slot - empty)
    Gloves Maenya's Iron Fists (+6 Strength, +13 Intimidate, Sora Kell Set)
    Boots Boots of the Innocent (+5 resistance, Yellow slot - found with 20% striding)
    Ring1 Katra's Razor Wit (+6 Charisma, +13 Diplomacy, Sora Kell Set)
    Ring2 Reaver's Ring (Fear Immunity, -2 Will save, Green Slot - Found with Heavy Fortification)
    Trinket Kaelth's Touch (Undead Guard, DR 5/Evil)

So you get:
    +6 strength (For more damage)
    +6 constitution (for more HP, fort save)
    +6 wisdom (Increases Spot, Will save)
    +6 Charisma (because you want the sora kell set bonus. can also wear the non-upgraded ring and get the set bonus)
    +20 Hit Points
    Heavy Fortification (avoiding critical hits is important to staying alive)
    Ghostly (10% miss chance + Ghost Touch) (It's possible for other characters to make you blurry, but not possible for other characters to make you incorporeal. And the miss chances for blurry and incorporeal stack.)
    +10 Physical Resistance
    +5 Resistance (Note -2 Will save from reaver's ring) (You have evasion, but it'll only help if you have enough reflex save to make those saves on a regular basis. So raising your reflex save is important)
    Deathblock (A few things will cast instant death spells on you. It's embarrasing to die.)
    Fear Immunity (If you are running in a party, you may get greater heroism cast on you, which also prevents fear, but not always. Also there to prevent shaken status, which includes -2 on saving throws and skill rolls)
    DR 5/Evil (Works on just about everything but certain devils and demons)
    +15 Spot (assume you don't know where all the traps are, so you'll want to be wearing a +spot item to get the warnings)
    +4 Damage (assuming dream visor and Sora Kell set stack)
    +40 Spell Power (for when you want to heal yourself)
    +20% Striding (running faster is always good)
    True Seeing (a few irritating monsters blur or displace themselves. aslo auto-spots secret doors)
    Haste Guard (being under the effects of haste makes you attack faster, having your own source of haste can help when there aren't any wizards around)
    Negative Energy absorption/10 (stops level drain effects, if you don't have the deathward spell up, or it gets dispelled)

2 Empty Yellow Slots (Dream visor, Nightforge Armbands)
    Think about slotting +8 Poison Resistance (as common as poison is these days) and +5 Dexterity (more reflex saves).

------------

The Dream Visor will be hard to get, but can use random + Spot goggles in the mean time.
    Getting enough black dragon scales may be difficult, you can wear Giantcraft Leather Armor until then
    Not sure how easy the reaver's ring is to get, but the Ring of Balance also provides heavy fortification in a ring slot.

Nightforge armbands and Kaelth's Touch were mainly picked for being easy to get, there are probably much better things to put into those slots, but they do give you DR that works against most things and +20 hit points.

If you aren't able to get a set of boots of the innocent, slot Resistance into your cloak of invisibility instead of PRR.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default Spell Resistance Ring is no big deal

If you have nothing better then use it.

BALANCE is only needed if you are knocked down and need to get back up. My thinking on this, if I am knocked down a lot, maybe there is something else wrong with my character.

I don't really check my spell resistance to see if it works. I cast it as one of my spells, no idea if it ever helps. If I am taking damage from spells, I assume my SR is not working that well. Remember, monsters are BUFFED to break our spell resistances.

I usually use a Ring of GREATER XYZ resistance. Fire most preferably, but I also like acid, cold, or electric.

Then once I begin to get rings with augment slots I prefer those.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    I don't really check my spell resistance to see if it works. I cast it as one of my spells, no idea if it ever helps. If I am taking damage from spells, I assume my SR is not working that well.
    Direct damage spells in DDO don't allow spell resistance checks. It's generally only those spells that have an 'effect' that allow for SR checks. Examples: bestow curse, sphere of dancing, poison, slay living, finger of death, hold person, charm person, etc.

Spells that do damage: fireball, flame strike, disintegrate, horrid wilting, etc don't allow SR.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jingweismule View Post
    Direct damage spells in DDO don't allow spell resistance checks. It's generally only those spells that have an 'effect' that allow for SR checks. Examples: bestow curse, sphere of dancing, poison, slay living, finger of death, hold person, charm person, etc.

Spells that do damage: fireball, flame strike, disintegrate, horrid wilting, etc don't allow SR.
    That would be pretty funny if mobs could charm players. Imagine all of a sudden you start attacking (and damaging!) your party members. Or even better, you turn around and promptly kill your hire. heh.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    I don't really check my spell resistance to see if it works.
    It's visible when it works, you get the blue shield graphic in front of your character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingweismule View Post
    Building a 'good' gear set can be complicated. The abilities you want to have can be offered in several different gear slots, so getting one piece of 'better' gear may require changing a lot of your other gear too. In addition, getting most of the good stuff can take forever. By the time you finally get a piece of gear, you may have leveled past the level that the piece of gear was useful for.

But here's an outline of a 'complete' set of gear for a character like yours, and why we want all of it:

Head Tereza's Perfect Sight (+6 Wisdom, True Seeing, Sora Kell Set)
    Goggles Dream Visor (Heroic Elite) (+15 Spot, +2 damage + ghost touch, Yellow Slot - empty)
    Neck Silver Flame Talisman (Deathblock, Negative Energy absorption/10)
    Cloak Cloak of Invisibility (Ghostly, (Other stuff), Green Slot - Slot +10 Physical Resistance)
    Armor Black Dragonhide Armor (Light Armor, Haste Guard, Armor Piercing 10%, Relentless Fury, Greater Acid Resistance)
    Belt Random +6 Consittution Belt
    Bracers Nightforge Armbands (Improved false life, Yellow Slot - empty)
    Gloves Maenya's Iron Fists (+6 Strength, +13 Intimidate, Sora Kell Set)
    Boots Boots of the Innocent (+5 resistance, Yellow slot - found with 20% striding)
    Ring1 Katra's Razor Wit (+6 Charisma, +13 Diplomacy, Sora Kell Set)
    Ring2 Reaver's Ring (Fear Immunity, -2 Will save, Green Slot - Found with Heavy Fortification)
    Trinket Kaelth's Touch (Undead Guard, DR 5/Evil)

So you get:
    +6 strength (For more damage)
    +6 constitution (for more HP, fort save)
    +6 wisdom (Increases Spot, Will save)
    +6 Charisma (because you want the sora kell set bonus. can also wear the non-upgraded ring and get the set bonus)
    +20 Hit Points
    Heavy Fortification (avoiding critical hits is important to staying alive)
    Ghostly (10% miss chance + Ghost Touch) (It's possible for other characters to make you blurry, but not possible for other characters to make you incorporeal. And the miss chances for blurry and incorporeal stack.)
    +10 Physical Resistance
    +5 Resistance (Note -2 Will save from reaver's ring) (You have evasion, but it'll only help if you have enough reflex save to make those saves on a regular basis. So raising your reflex save is important)
    Deathblock (A few things will cast instant death spells on you. It's embarrasing to die.)
    Fear Immunity (If you are running in a party, you may get greater heroism cast on you, which also prevents fear, but not always. Also there to prevent shaken status, which includes -2 on saving throws and skill rolls)
    DR 5/Evil (Works on just about everything but certain devils and demons)
    +15 Spot (assume you don't know where all the traps are, so you'll want to be wearing a +spot item to get the warnings)
    +4 Damage (assuming dream visor and Sora Kell set stack)
    +40 Spell Power (for when you want to heal yourself)
    +20% Striding (running faster is always good)
    True Seeing (a few irritating monsters blur or displace themselves. aslo auto-spots secret doors)
    Haste Guard (being under the effects of haste makes you attack faster, having your own source of haste can help when there aren't any wizards around)
    Negative Energy absorption/10 (stops level drain effects, if you don't have the deathward spell up, or it gets dispelled)

2 Empty Yellow Slots (Dream visor, Nightforge Armbands)
    Think about slotting +8 Poison Resistance (as common as poison is these days) and +5 Dexterity (more reflex saves).

------------

The Dream Visor will be hard to get, but can use random + Spot goggles in the mean time.
    Getting enough black dragon scales may be difficult, you can wear Giantcraft Leather Armor until then
    Not sure how easy the reaver's ring is to get, but the Ring of Balance also provides heavy fortification in a ring slot.

Nightforge armbands and Kaelth's Touch were mainly picked for being easy to get, there are probably much better things to put into those slots, but they do give you DR that works against most things and +20 hit points.

If you aren't able to get a set of boots of the innocent, slot Resistance into your cloak of invisibility instead of PRR.
    Thanks for the very in depth reply. Plus all the other replays as well. I have replaced both rings +10 poison and a +20 ring of false life. I think it better then i had B 4 and am looking 2 change them with better ASAP.