Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member ~Ferrir_Mule_S's Avatar

Default VON 5 and 6 - Why is it that no one knows how to do these anymore?

Seriously, After four failed PUGs in a row it really makes me wonder.

Is it that hard for people to follow orders these days?

Edit: and sorry tho all those I've offended.
    Last edited by Ferrir_Mule_S; 05-10-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Mordak lives here!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrir_Mule_S View Post

Because a random pug is made up of two people that know how to do it and the rest that don't. Instead of explaining anything, those two people just randomly do everything while not explaining anything to the people that don't know what they're doing. Rinse and repeat. It probably took me 8 or 9 times completing before I even knew what was going on.

Because all gear except SOS has been superseded by new stuff. No one wants to run Von, or VOD, or Abbot, or Titan.........

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForumsbrokeDaSawks View Post
    Because all gear except SOS has been superseded by new stuff. No one wants to run Von, or VOD, or Abbot, or Titan.........
    This isn't true at all. For us players that don't like farming the same quests over and over again, VON is still a great way to gain XP.

VoN 5/6 still requires a Leader who can coordinate the team...

Assignments for areas in VoN 5 such as the part where the team needs to do Str/Wis/Shooting on two sides to open doors.

Assignments as it goes with Voice and Ring - Usually assigned to one person as there are some places both are needed to get by, and it is easier to track one than 2 people.

Most failures occur in 6 where coordinating the taking down of the towers sometimes gets dicey because of lack of communication or because the wrong people are assigned to the wrong bases.

Leadership is important

Well, who was the common denominator in all those runs?

Did you try to explain what to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

I think he's trying to tell you something op.

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Because a random pug is made up of two people that know how to do it and the rest that don't. Instead of explaining anything, those two people just randomly do everything while not explaining anything to the people that don't know what they're doing. Rinse and repeat. It probably took me 8 or 9 times completing before I even knew what was going on.
    This.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Lol, ok... Just had my own rough pug, so I'll commiserate with ya...

Yes, for some people listening & following directions is hard. Not sure what went wrong in your VoNs, mine wasn't even a raid. Pugged up some people for level 11 Elite questing, flagged necro 3 nice & easy. Half the group had to go, so we pugged up 3 more bodies for House J...

So we started out with me (Favored Soul) & 2 Arti's; added on a monk and two Barbs - one of which is a Warforged. A couple of people let me know they don't have sound, ok fine, I warn them I type slow. Knock out a quick & easy "From Beyond the Grave" and head over to "The Enemy Within." That's where things got rough

Off the bat it's a Zerg fest. After waiting for a round of deathwards and mass prot vs evil, people are off & running. No sprint boost or monk speed here so I'm last in line. Unfortunately, the halls are narrow, with lots of alcoves and larger rooms at the ends - so lots of things to block line-of-sight & therefor healing. Lots of damage taken & a couple fast deaths. We raise, buff and... you guessed it, we repeat. Ouch. At this point I'm looking at my mostly expended blue bar, and knowing we're only a small fraction into the quest inform the party that this pace is unsustainable. Sure, I have some pots, and someone even gave me a few more (always appreciated tyvm). Everybodies cool, except the monk. Having died 3 times already in the short amount of time we were in, he responds to my warning with the following: "If you don't know how to play a healer, just uninstall now." As a topper, while an Arti is searching up a trap box, he (the monk) decides that unlike the rest of us, he doesn't need to wait for the trap to get disabled, takes a running jump and - ding! his 4th death...

At this point I've decided to no longer expend resources on the fellow that insulted me, and if either of the Arti's had raise scrolls they kept it to themselves. A short back pack ride later I notice he rezzed so I check and yep, he released out. Having no interest in taking a further xp penalty on his behalf, or for that matter dealing with him, I dismissed him. It's been so long since I've booted someone I honestly can't remember when it was.

Rest of the quest was quite smooth, resource consumption kept very reasonable, and we all walked away with a nice chunk of xp and several chests worth of loot.

So I hear ya op, what's the (game)world coming to when a WF Barb is easier to keep alive in a pug than a (rude)monk?

I realize this post may be completely irrelevant to any of the OP's issues, but it seemed like the best place for me to vent this one out. Thanx for "listening"
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member ~Ferrir_Mule_S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post

Tried and obviously failed at it.

What went wrong: I'll just put it on miscommunication, the genie was killed instead of prepped.
    Mordak lives here!

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Because all LFMs for the last four years have said "know it" instead of anyone taking the time to teach new players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

The last 3 failed LFMs were... Unbalanced party, Newb run and some one(not the leader) deciding that we could do 6 on EE without asking. (dude made my squelch list).

This should be a test raid to figure out who should be on your friends list and who shouldn't and for seeing how well you are able to explain a complex raid and get people to follow directions to see if you should even be leading a complex LFM (I found I'm not able to teach and lead.)

Chalk it up to a bad week. I've had a 2 week stretch where it seemed like every raid I got into, PUG or otherwise, ended up gliching, lagging or too many drunks to complete. XD. Keep at it.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Because all LFMs for the last four years have said "know it" instead of anyone taking the time to teach new players.
    ^This.

The very few that know what to do, zerg off, do stuff, and tell people to just wait.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post
    Chalk it up to a bad week. I've had a 2 week stretch where it seemed like every raid I got into, PUG or otherwise, ended up gliching, lagging or too many drunks to complete. XD. Keep at it.
    That could be a red flag right there

From experience...

I did a pick-up Chrono run after I just purchased the pack (and people still did PUG runs) and I told the person leading it that I was new to DDO and the adventure. He was fine with that (He was 20, the cap at the time, and 2 other players also knew it and where high level).

So we enter, and the three players proceeded to run through, grab all of the optionals and do the first boss fight. There was no communication and if not for one kind individual there would of been 7 soulstones sitting in the city why these three just zerged it. After my second death, I quickly realized I needed to stay behind the person picking up everyone's soulstone because these individuals (the 3 high level players) had no intention of teaching us the quest or cared what happened to us. Honestly they were probably having a great laugh at everyone dieing and calling us names (but I am only assuming this). We finish the quest, they loot, and dropped. Although there were a few upset people, everyone else thanked the kind individual who babysat our soulstones and I never ran another PUG Chono with the original leader.

So why did I bring this up?

Because if veterans want "newer" players to learn some of the old raids, they have to teach us. That or do what the three individuals did and run through it and expect us to know what they did without ever telling us what we should be doing. I still don't know how to run Chrono but at least I know more than that first fateful run Just a hint: I don't learn by watching your little blue arrow on the compass run around

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssal_Mage View Post

From experience...

I did a pick-up Chrono run after I just purchased the pack (and people still did PUG runs) and I told the person leading it that I was new to DDO and the adventure. He was fine with that (He was 20, the cap at the time, and 2 other players also knew it and where high level).

So we enter, and the three players proceeded to run through, grab all of the optionals and do the first boss fight. There was no communication and if not for one kind individual there would of been 7 soulstones sitting in the city why these three just zerged it. After my second death, I quickly realized I needed to stay behind the person picking up everyone's soulstone because these individuals (the 3 high level players) had no intention of teaching us the quest or cared what happened to us. Honestly they were probably having a great laugh at everyone dieing and calling us names (but I am only assuming this). We finish the quest, they loot, and dropped. Although there were a few upset people, everyone else thanked the kind individual who babysat our soulstones and I never ran another PUG Chono with the original leader.

Because if veterans want "newer" players to learn some of the old raids, they have to teach us. That or do what the three individuals did and run through it and expect us to know what they did without ever telling us what we should be doing. I still don't know how to run Chrono but at least I know more than that first fateful run Just a hint: I don't learn by watching your little blue arrow on the compass run around
    No one ever taught me chrono either, but it's a fairly straight forward raid and you'll catch on after a couple runs. I see a lot of heroic loot runs, so jump in when you're way overlevel and pay attention. You'll learn it quickly.

To answer your question: Yes at time people either don't understand your language, or are to stubborn/ignorant to follow simple instructions. There should be no excuse for the latter other than they are not willing to help, or willing to learn if said players are newbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Most failures occur in 6 where coordinating the taking down of the towers sometimes gets dicey because of lack of communication or because the wrong people are assigned to the wrong bases.

Leadership is important
    Someone can feel free to correct me if they know better... but I've had my fair share of VON6 fails... and it always happens to me with the Dragon... sometimes even with lag.

VON5 is responsible for half my squelch list... last time it was a barb that started the final fight before everyone was in the room... leaving us to to VON6 with only one healer...
    kruemeli - Orien. Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits
    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...ld-Name-Change
    It's OK to be "merry":
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0

Community Member

Ok answer is simple. VON isn't end game raid anymore. Even ESOS isn't so sexy when you have Cleaver set.
    So, pro players do VON couple of time during TR and for first 100k epic xp bonus.

Of course you can do what I did - learn raid by wiki, forums, videos and practice.. And lead it yourself!

They should just give us the option to skip von5 when doing von6.

I don't wanna spend 30 mins doing VON5. The same goes for ADQ1, wilderness before MA/LOB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Farwil, Chaos Gamblers - Argonessen.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Lol, ok... Just had my own rough pug, so I'll commiserate with ya...

Yes, for some people listening & following directions is hard. Not sure what went wrong in your VoNs, mine wasn't even a raid. Pugged up some people for level 11 Elite questing, flagged necro 3 nice & easy. Half the group had to go, so we pugged up 3 more bodies for House J...

So we started out with me (Favored Soul) & 2 Arti's; added on a monk and two Barbs - one of which is a Warforged. A couple of people let me know they don't have sound, ok fine, I warn them I type slow. Knock out a quick & easy "From Beyond the Grave" and head over to "The Enemy Within." That's where things got rough

Off the bat it's a Zerg fest. After waiting for a round of deathwards and mass prot vs evil, people are off & running. No sprint boost or monk speed here so I'm last in line. Unfortunately, the halls are narrow, with lots of alcoves and larger rooms at the ends - so lots of things to block line-of-sight & therefor healing. Lots of damage taken & a couple fast deaths. We raise, buff and... you guessed it, we repeat. Ouch. At this point I'm looking at my mostly expended blue bar, and knowing we're only a small fraction into the quest inform the party that this pace is unsustainable. Sure, I have some pots, and someone even gave me a few more (always appreciated tyvm). Everybodies cool, except the monk. Having died 3 times already in the short amount of time we were in, he responds to my warning with the following: "If you don't know how to play a healer, just uninstall now." As a topper, while an Arti is searching up a trap box, he (the monk) decides that unlike the rest of us, he doesn't need to wait for the trap to get disabled, takes a running jump and - ding! his 4th death...

At this point I've decided to no longer expend resources on the fellow that insulted me, and if either of the Arti's had raise scrolls they kept it to themselves. A short back pack ride later I notice he rezzed so I check and yep, he released out. Having no interest in taking a further xp penalty on his behalf, or for that matter dealing with him, I dismissed him. It's been so long since I've booted someone I honestly can't remember when it was.

Rest of the quest was quite smooth, resource consumption kept very reasonable, and we all walked away with a nice chunk of xp and several chests worth of loot.

So I hear ya op, what's the (game)world coming to when a WF Barb is easier to keep alive in a pug than a (rude)monk?

I realize this post may be completely irrelevant to any of the OP's issues, but it seemed like the best place for me to vent this one out. Thanx for "listening"
    See for that person i would of said something to him. i know i would of made fun of him personally. its just what i do. lol players like that deserve to have it tossed back in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssal_Mage View Post

From experience...

It sounds like you joined a Chrono loot run. most of the time its just running around doing stuff to get it done. So sadly not a training raid. I do understand your frustrations but sometimes people just want to do what the lfm says and no teach anyone. Don't take that as me being rude or anything. Honestly i miss seeing raids being done at level like chrono. i've only done it once leading it and we have no issues. had a pretty solid group honestly. 1-2 new i think.

anyways best way is not to join a loot run. if you can learn quickly stay near the high levels letting them kill stuff while learning.

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    Ok answer is simple. VON isn't end game raid anymore. Even ESOS isn't so sexy when you have Cleaver set.
    So, pro players do VON couple of time during TR and for first 100k epic xp bonus.

Of course you can do what I did - learn raid by wiki, forums, videos and practice.. And lead it yourself!
    im just glad there is other options now then just an esos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast