Default update 18 / skill tomes and trained skills

was not expecting update 18 today, but was excited about reading about the addition of 2 new f2p quests in forgotten realms. I was just thinking that I have no more f2p quests to run.

I have been hearing about the skill tomes on lammania, and was reading about them in wiki. it mentions that they can allow use of trained skills:

"Stacks with ability tomes and allows use of trained skills such as Tumble without ranks. "

... does that mean that non-rogue/artificer classes can now train in disable device? or is that considered a class skill? what other trained skills are there?

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that the tomes only add to existing abilities. IOW, if you can have 1 pt in a skill, the tomes will add x points to it. They will not add to 0.

Again, this is simply wild speculation based on how I think it should work. Facts are forthcoming.

Open Locks, Disable Device, Tumble and UMD are skills which require at least 1 point in them in order to attempt to use them.

Stoner81.

Community Member

wiki can also be wrong, you know, any information comes from Lama and some rare tidbits from devs. tomes are now live so we'll know soon enough.

If the skill tomes allow the use of untrained skills such as disable, open locks, etc. I'd be inclined to consider that a bug until fixed at some later point or confirmed to be working as intended by Turbine. Even if you can't put any points into the skill, open lock on any character could still get high enough to be extremely useful.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen