Community Member

Default Elite Small Problem

Cross posted from Quests, since I just realized that forum gets about 1 reply a week...

I'm running my first third-lifer, so trying to keep my Elite streak alive. He's at L7 (well just dinged to 8...), so I was running the L7 Elite Carnival quests, and I'm getting really frustrated with this one.

Everything's fine and manageable up to the last fight, then the Messenger of Pits just delevels me to death. I have Restoration pots, I have a cleric hireling with Restoration, but he still delevels me faster than I can restore, and faster than I can kill him (as a Tempest Ranger). With only 7-8 levels, it doesnt take long to render me useless for DPS, and not long after that to finish me off, and since hireling clerics dont get Raise Dead till L9, that's it unless I want to buy a Cake...

Is there any tricks around this, or is the quest just essentially unsoloable at-level? Death Ward is the only way for fleshies to defend against the effect, and the only source of Death Ward at-level is the potion from Necropolis, which requires 5 rare Abbott rings, so a loooot of Necro farming (I have one so far). Or a clicky from Tangleroot, I think, but I dont have that pack.

I really dont want to have to go through 30 mins of quest each time just to try and "get lucky" with my saves at the end...

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Third life and no Visor of the Flesh Render?

You can try spell absorption items (Mantle of the Worldshaper and Pale Lavender). Don't know how long they'll last with other spells being thrown your way though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Third life and no Visor of the Flesh Render?
    [QUOTE=droid_327;4999745]...Or a clicky from Tangleroot, I think, but I dont have that pack.
    /QUOTE]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish-Doom View Post
    You can try spell absorption items (Mantle of the Worldshaper and Pale Lavender). Don't know how long they'll last with other spells being thrown your way though.
    Does Spell Absorption work for special-attack based deleveling? AFAIK its a "proc-on-hit" effect, not a spell it casts.

If so, makes me wish I hadnt been so impatient and unsuppressed my pale lav

Community Member

Silver Flame pendant can help. I am not sure if you can wear the 10 charge one at that level. But you should be able to wear the 5. The visor of flesh render guards is the best thing though.

Edit: I re-read and see you don't have Tangleroot. The visor suggestion is not much use -sorry.
    Last edited by Kaytis; 05-10-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Formerly Katie_Seaglen

Community Member

There is also a random loot item called the Scarab of Protection (12 charges, not rechargeable). The description appears to block negative energy effects, not just spells. Haven't seen one drop in a long time but assuming you could find one on the AH they are unbound and no-min level.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytis View Post
    Silver Flame pendant can help. I am not sure if you can wear the 10 charge one at that level. But you should be able to wear the 5. The visor of flesh render guards is the best thing though.

Edit: I re-read and see you don't have Tangleroot. The visor suggestion is not much use -sorry.
    5-charge is ML9, at which point I could just get a cleric hireling with Raise Dead anyway I can only wear the ML5 1-charger, which doesnt seem like it'd solve the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Antello View Post
    There is also a random loot item called the Scarab of Protection (12 charges, not rechargeable). The description appears to block negative energy effects, not just spells. Haven't seen one drop in a long time but assuming you could find one on the AH they are unbound and no-min level.
    Ah, thats worth looking for, thanks 12 charges might be enough to get me through. Only need to complete Epic once, after all. Too bad its not farmable...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid_327 View Post
    5-charge is ML9, at which point I could just get a cleric hireling with Raise Dead anyway I can only wear the ML5 1-charger, which doesnt seem like it'd solve the problem...

Ah, thats worth looking for, thanks 12 charges might be enough to get me through. Only need to complete Epic once, after all. Too bad its not farmable...
    It sounds like your soloing it, your best bet is not to. Is it silly that this one mob makes it such a huge problem. Of course. failing that, make a wf. It's abit trite but it will bypass the issue you have...for now..

Explanation: He will still kill one of your party members, the diff?? No need to cake

AFAIK its a "proc-on-hit" effect, not a spell it casts.
    I didn't think about that. So spell absorption might not work then.

the neg lvls eat up more then 1 charge each spell as a lvl4 spell it if i recall correctly eats up 4 charges each time u get hit. if you have a hireling between u and the boss then the hireling will get deleveled if its a warforged hireling then your pretty much homesafe as long as you keep the hireling between u and the boss the neg level is a ray on hit.

house p quests on elite are prretty harsh quests to solo, the visor of flesh render or one of those items if you dont have it certain quests just cant be soloed unless u find a hireling that can give you the spell i tend to get lest 2-3 on each person i tend to tr but then im usually close to overweight on my trs.

id suggest u try using a selfhealing WF hireling paladin or wizard. high lvl u go for paladin but low lvl the wizard likely surives better with his selfheal

its easie to keep a melee hireling between u and boss if the hireling is melee and u yourself pick up a 2hf and use the longer range alternatively standing with bow just behind the hireling
    Last edited by Testing12345; 05-10-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Simple solution: pug up some helpers. Any particular reason you solo? If it's just that you don't like waiting to fill, don't. Put up an IP lfm and go Anyone who joins along the way will provide additional dps and additional targets for those neg levels.

Alternatively, perhaps you can get a guest pass for tangle root? Just a thought...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Alternatively, perhaps you can get a guest pass for tangle root? Just a thought...
    If you are on Sarlona, I'm willying to buy you a splinterskull 1-hour pass and zerg it with you. If you are lucky, you can find the visors on your first chain reward. If we rush on casual, you might be able to get 2 chain rewards. Not sure if we can do all 10 quests three times for a guaranteed one, however.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Testing12345 View Post
    the neg lvls eat up more then 1 charge each spell as a lvl4 spell it if i recall correctly eats up 4 charges each time u get hit. if you have a hireling between u and the boss then the hireling will get deleveled if its a warforged hireling then your pretty much homesafe as long as you keep the hireling between u and the boss the neg level is a ray on hit.
    Again, its a proc-on-hit, not the actual ray spell. Since I'm a Ranger, afraid I dont have enough Diplo to keep aggro on the hireling, either, so I'll be taking the level-draining hits sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Simple solution: pug up some helpers. Any particular reason you solo? If it's just that you don't like waiting to fill, don't. Put up an IP lfm and go Anyone who joins along the way will provide additional dps and additional targets for those neg levels.
    Yeah that's an option, hadnt actually tried it...I just dont want to get to the end and then sit there waiting forever because no one joined. Plus I tend to play late nights a lot. Mostly I solo because I dont use voice chat and I get real tired of having to explain why to everyone when I join a PUG, and then get booted anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    If you are on Sarlona, I'm willying to buy you a splinterskull 1-hour pass and zerg it with you. If you are lucky, you can find the visors on your first chain reward. If we rush on casual, you might be able to get 2 chain rewards. Not sure if we can do all 10 quests three times for a guaranteed one, however.
    Thanks, Thelanis though Its my first fleshie life, or I might have thought more about picking up Tangleroot earlier...

Community Member

Yeah that's an option, hadnt actually tried it...I just dont want to get to the end and then sit there waiting forever because no one joined. Plus I tend to play late nights a lot. Mostly I solo because I dont use voice chat and I get real tired of having to explain why to everyone when I join a PUG, and then get booted anyway :P

Thanks, Thelanis though Its my first fleshie life, or I might have thought more about picking up Tangleroot earlier...
    Thelanis has a LOT of LFM lurkers. I almost always end up with a full group at just about any level. I'd say 75% of the pugs I've been in nobody uses voice chat. The key to getting a full group for a quest like Small Problem is to start with Snitch and Party Crashers.

Big Top chain on Elite for BB - All welcome - Party Crashers IP

Then when PC is done, if the group still isn't full...

Big Top chain on Elite for BB - All welcome - Snitch IP

Thelanis is filled with nice people who pug... however, it seems like most people don't want to be the first (or second) to join a party. Once you have 3 people in the party, the last 3 spots will fill very quickly 99% of the time.

Community Member

Default Not random

Quote Originally Posted by Antello View Post
    You can get the scarab by turning in the scarabs you collect running the Necropolis quests for this. I have not seen this as a random item ever, but I do turn in scarabs for it (well, scarabs after crunching them in the stone) and it is very handy. Also, OP, get a hire that has greater resto, and/or Deathward my advice is to look at the FVS hirelings as they usually have one or the other, and I think a couple have both. CLR hires are kind of useless for melee imo, as they heal, but have no real other benefits for melee, but the FVS hires have the aforementioned after about L12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member

Default Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstryk View Post
    Thelanis has a LOT of LFM lurkers. I almost always end up with a full group at just about any level. I'd say 75% of the pugs I've been in nobody uses voice chat. The key to getting a full group for a quest like Small Problem is to start with Snitch and Party Crashers.

Big Top chain on Elite for BB - All welcome - Party Crashers IP

Then when PC is done, if the group still isn't full...

Big Top chain on Elite for BB - All welcome - Snitch IP

Thelanis is filled with nice people who pug... however, it seems like most people don't want to be the first (or second) to join a party. Once you have 3 people in the party, the last 3 spots will fill very quickly 99% of the time.

This post is spot on, and my observations as well on the server. Once you have a few people that have run with you, they won't be afraid to be the first/second to join your LFM. And, on Thelanis, people seem to appreciate a tell from the party leader (after they have dropped group, for whatever reason) simply saying 'thank you for joining the LFM'.

I have more people that willingly join my lfm withing seconds of me posting just because I make sure every person that joins my pugs gets a simple tell saying thank you when they go on their way and leave group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I managed to solo it for elite BB this life without too much trouble. Well, with a hireling, and as a artificer so with a pet and flame turret to distract them. Basic strategy was avoid letting the level drainer hit me (kiting as much as the space allowed) while I filled it full of bolts. Still took a couple of level drains, but it died before I did.