Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Best class for each race?

I want to go Completionist.

I also want to play each race at least once in the process.

This is a problem. I have a strong tendency towards certain races (Halflings, Dwarves) and away from others (all three Elf variants). Still, I want the variety, and I want to pick them up eventually. This is not about what the best race for each class is, but the reverse. There may be a race that makes a better Artificer than Warforged, but likely no class that's so excellent for Warforged as Artificer. What do you guys recommend as the best CLASS for each RACE?

• Dwarf
    • Elf
    • Half-Elf
    • Drow
    • Halfling
    • Human
    • Half-Orc
    • Warforged
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 05-09-2013 at 10:07 PM.

I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...

Are you aware that you are going to get many many different combinations and opinions on this?

Well anyway, just my 2 cents on this, since I'm no DDO expert. I am going to suggest 2 or 3 classes per race, so you can pick the ones you feel better. Since its your game. You choose.

Dwarf [Fighter, Barbarian]
    Elf [Rogue, Ranger, and I would say sorc or wizzy because I have an elf sorc and I love to play with that toon]
    Half-Elf [I'm not familiar with this race, but maybe Fav Soul, Monk, Ranger, Bard]
    Drow [Wizzard, Sorc]
    Halfling [Cleric, Rogue]
    Human [Cleric, Fav Soul, Druid, Paladin, pretty hard to tell since Humans are versatile and you can improve wherever you want to aim for]
    Half-Orc [Fighter, Barbarian]
    Warforged [Artificer, and some players like this race for arcane casters]

Ok, don't take this list too seriously, as other people will come here and prolly make another one completly different, and maybe even troll me about my own choices here.

But you pick what makes you feel better on each case.

More important: have fun
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Community Member

Default Just to be different

• Dwarf: strength based rogue, battle cleric, barbarian
    • Elf: pale master, AA ranger
    • Half-Elf: fighter with cleric dilly
    • Drow: pale master
    • Halfling: wis based air stance monk, rogue
    • Human: paladin
    • Half-Orc: battle soul
    • Warforged: sorcerer

The choices may change a lot with the enhancement pass.
    Brotherhood of the Wolf, Cannith

Community Member

Dwarf - Brb/Ftr
    Elf - Rgr/nothing
    Half-Elf - Mnk/Pal/anything
    Drow - twf Pal/Rog
    Halfling - Mnk/Rog
    Human - Clr/Fvs/Drd/Brd/anything
    Half-Orc - Brb/Ftr
    Warforged - Src/Wiz/Art
    join: Oct. 2011 - formerly HalfORCastrator

• Dwarf - barb or fighter but doesn't really shine compared to other races
    • Elf - wizard with elven arcanum
    • Half-Elf - any but especially not self healing classes for the helf dil cleric for heal scrolls
    • Drow - soul stone
    • Halfling - rogue
    • Human - any
    • Half-Orc - barb or fighter
    • Warforged - arti or sorc

Community Member

Thanks everyone!

What I'm thinking for my own personal order...... Well, I already have a Halfling Wizard finished and a Human Ranger part-way through on my completionist, so....

Dwarf - Battle Cleric
    Half-Elf - Fighter
    Drow - Sorcerer
    Half-Orc - Barbarian
    Warforged - Artificer
    Elf - .....uh..... FvS? o__O

bard-Horc
    artificer-WF

cant think of anything id put drow first as ... no nothing comes to mind id take a human/WF over drow as a caster sorc/wiz anyday maybe a palemaster but id honestly prefer a human even there.

halfling-barb/monk
    works as anything simply for their run animation but honestly who doesnt like a barbarian halfling with a huge axe or hammer preferable ur suppose to name it groin-punisher/kneekiller or similar but we cant have perfect name on a TR

Dwarf: Fighter, paladin, Cleric
    Elf: Wizard
    Half-Elf: All
    Drow: ...
    Halfling: Ranger, fighter, rogue, bard (all twf)
    Human: Cleric, Fvs, Druid, bard (all DC based casters), all.
    Half orc: Fighter, Rogue, Barb, Monk, Cleric, Fvs, bard (all melee THF)
    Warforged: Sorcerer, Artificer, Wizard.
    Argo: - Trolls Lair / Intransigence

dwarf: barbarian
    elf: ranger
    half-elf:
    drow: wizard
    halfling: rogue
    human: cleric
    half-orc: fighter
    warforged: artificer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ~sonofzeal View Post
    I want to go Completionist.

I also want to play each race at least once in the process.

This is a problem. I have a strong tendency towards certain races (Halflings, Dwarves) and away from others (all three Elf variants). Still, I want the variety, and I want to pick them up eventually. This is not about what the best race for each class is, but the reverse. There may be a race that makes a better Artificer than Warforged, but likely no class that's so excellent for Warforged as Artificer. What do you guys recommend as the best CLASS for each RACE?

• Dwarf
    • Elf
    • Half-Elf
    • Drow
    • Halfling
    • Human
    • Half-Orc
    • Warforged
    There is no "best" classes for each races, a good player can make a good build out of any classes/races and bad players....oh well.

But here is the list of races i think that would made each class a little bit easier.

Dwarf: Fighter, barbarian, monk.
    Elf: Ranger (Both AA and Tempest), rogue, wizard.
    Half-elf: Most classes.
    Drow: Palemaster, Sorcerer, rogue, artificer.
    Hafling: Rogue, Monk.
    Human: Most classes.
    Half-orc: Barbarian.
    Warforged: Artificer, Archmage, Sorcerer.

2014 DDO Players Council

Dwarf: Fighter
    Elf: Wizard
    Half-Elf: Rogue
    Drow: Paladin
    Halfling: Bard
    Human: Cleric
    Half-Orc: Barbarian
    Warforged: Artificer

Though personally, I did my Dwarf as a Barbarian, and my Half-Orc as a melee Cleric. Oh, and my first Wizard life was a Warforged, though I'll do an Elf Wizard, too.

Community Member

Elf: Try a ranged focused Elf Barbarian as a departure from the usual Wizard or Ranger.
    Halfling: Charisma focused Paladin with dragonmark.
    Dwarf: Combat based wizard abjurer/palemaster might be interesting.

Community Member

Why are people so down on Drow here? They make great Sorcs, FVs, Rogues, Bards and yep, paladins (twf). You can even make a decent case for cleric, if you have 3 prior cleric lives I mean, because you might be able to actually go for a great turning based cleric that way.

Best class for Drow though? Probably a pure caster FVS.

Elf - Wizzy or Archer

Halflings, Rogues

Helf - evil something, so the Lloth mask doesn't look out of place

Orcs - Barbs

Dwarf - no idea, maybe a fighter cleric or just plain fighter.

One thing is certain you should not be a human fighter, maybe a helf one, fighters get so many feats that the free feat at level one is only really beneficial for the first 8-10 levels before being totally diluted by all the free feats you are getting.

Warforged - Arti or Wizard

Community Member

Halflings make a good any class that gets positive spell power but not great heals, for example rangers, pallies, etc. This is because their dragonmarks are buffed by stuff like that. It helps if you have spare feats to toss into metamagic feats. I would argue they make better pure rangers than elves for this reason (the elves' main benefit is being able to get high-tier AA abilities without being a pure ranger).

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Drow are particularly well-suited for playing a TWF paladin.
    Outta curiosity, have you noticed if a drow pally w/max SR enhs from drow + SD trees actually have, well, useful SR these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitering View Post
    Why are people so down on Drow here?
    Historically it's because of -2 CON, most builds don't benefit from +2 DEX, INT, and CHA all at once, drow SR is useless at endgame, and drow racial weapon bonuses are merely okay. But mostly it's because other races get better / more useful bonuses. The Enhancement overhaul gave them a few new goodies (e.g., up to +2 to INT/DEX/CHA, up to +6 SR), but those pale in comparison to what some of the other races got. [Did humans really need to be more awesome?]

That said, you can make pretty much any race / class combo work well; your gear, build, and player skill are all far more important in the long run than racial bonuses (or penalties), IMHO. TWF pally w/rapiers is probably the best use for a drow's bonuses, but it's certainly not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Outta curiosity, have you noticed if a drow pally w/max SR enhs from drow + SD trees actually have, well, useful SR these days?

Historically it's because of -2 CON, most builds don't benefit from +2 DEX, INT, and CHA all at once, drow SR is useless at endgame, and drow racial weapon bonuses are merely okay. But mostly it's because other races get better / more useful bonuses. The Enhancement overhaul gave them a few new goodies (e.g., up to +2 to INT/DEX/CHA, up to +6 SR), but those pale in comparison to what some of the other races got. [Did humans really need to be more awesome?]

That said, you can make pretty much any race / class combo work well; your gear, build, and player skill are all far more important in the long run than racial bonuses (or penalties), IMHO. TWF pally w/rapiers is probably the best use for a drow's bonuses, but it's certainly not the only one.
    In addition to all that, also you only start with 28 points, so you can not customize your stats as much because of the int/dex/cha bonuses being set. You often end up with the equivalent of wasted stat points.

human: fighter/any
    dwarf: druid
    elf: bard
    halfling: ranger/monk
    half elf: any
    half orc: barbarian
    drow: paladin/sorc/wizard/favored soul/rogue
    warforged: artificer/wizard/sorceror/druid
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-05-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Given that spending AP on racial tree other than core is unadvisable, the main difference for races in U19 is Drow being able to increase int and cha from enhancements. And enhancement dragonmarks, too. So imho best classes for each race are:

Human: anything except fighters
    Dwarf: tactical toon with fighter splash
    H.Orc: any THF toon
    Elf: ranger, either TWF scimitar or bow focused
    H.Elf: worse bards and sorcerers than before, too much investment for pali dilly, so probably better go human
    Halfling: high-saves/dodge rogue-monk combo
    Warforged: battle engineer
    Drow: DC wizard, TWF paladins

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post

Even in EE, I'm seeing my drow SR work and work enough to be very worth it.
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

Cool My opinion

Im an odd ball sometimes when making a character because i look for a challenge..

I love halfing fighter/ranger/barbarian combination
    warforged i would make trickster rog/sorcerer or bard
    human isnt really an issue since there best feature is versatility
    elf would be bard/wizard
    half orc i would create a sorcerer
    half elf...whatever
    dwarf i would make bully...rog/fighter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast