Community Member

Default Last Chance To Get Otto's Box!

This is what it says in the store. Does this mean they won't be offered again or just the last chance this month?

Community Member

The chance of them eliminating something that they sell HUGE numbers of for $50 a pop seem near non existent
    Addicted to DDO since 2006
    Officer of Chaos Knights and primary cause of -10%XP in guild runs

Community Member

Maybe last chance. Because after the 13th they will release them split up, meaning we can get the xp stone by itself far cheaper.
    Personally they would probably sell more. Me personally, I would NEVER pay $50 of TP for a otto box, but if say there were xp stones for $25 worth of TP each, I would be on that. All that extra stuff is useless to me, hence not making it worth $50.
    But if anyone wants to trade ingame items for them, I've been down for that.

Quote Originally Posted by usernameanon View Post
    Maybe last chance. Because after the 13th they will release them split up, meaning we can get the xp stone by itself far cheaper.
    Personally they would probably sell more. Me personally, I would NEVER pay $50 of TP for a otto box, but if say there were xp stones for $25 worth of TP each, I would be on that. All that extra stuff is useless to me, hence not making it worth $50.
    But if anyone wants to trade ingame items for them, I've been down for that.
    is this for certain that they will be selling xp stones directly? yes, i noticed too that it mentioned 'last chance' for ottos box.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Graskitch View Post
    is this for certain that they will be selling xp stones directly? yes, i noticed too that it mentioned 'last chance' for ottos box.

would also really appreciate an answer to this. has this actually been stated by Turbine or are we just making guesses here. I have enough TP to pick up a couple boxes for TR purposes but like other posters have said, I really don't need the other things that come with the stone. I would probably use them just because I had them but would definitely wait to buy just the stone if that is going to be an option.

I have to agree with everyone else, this could be the "last" time we see this specific configuration of items in an Otto's Box. but no way is Turbine going to quit selling stones.

Community Member

Last* Chance!
    Free* to VIP!

Turbine Marketing doesn't actually own a dictionary. The above "Just sell me the stone cheap instead of conflating the price with stuff I don't want" crowd is speculating. Turbine gets the money either way. Selling twice as many stones at half the price is a wash for Turbine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewSlarden View Post
    This is what it says in the store. Does this mean they won't be offered again or just the last chance this month?
    Last chance until we offer them again! Just like with stat tomes!!

Don't buy too much into the marketing hype. We will see them again.

This is the one major item that turns "never pay Turbine another dime" to "shut up and take my money". I doubt they would ever get completely rid of it.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Hm... It's true that people will probably be more willing to pay $25 per stone instead of $50-60 per stone.

Albeit, the whole point of otto's box is mainly to get that xp stone.

If they made the xp stone that much more easily purchasable, it would probably flood the market with xp stones..... and ruin the game much quicker than a slower trickle of xp stones via the box.

At this time, the price of an xp stone is set high so that it's a "treat" to use (1-2) rather than an "imperative" .

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dyna-The-Cat View Post
    Hm... It's true that people will probably be more willing to pay $25 per stone instead of $50-60 per stone.

Albeit, the whole point of otto's box is mainly to get that xp stone.

If they made the xp stone that much more easily purchasable, it would probably flood the market with xp stones..... and ruin the game much quicker than a slower trickle of xp stones via the box.

At this time, the price of an xp stone is set high so that it's a "treat" to use (1-2) rather than an "imperative" .
    Eh not really, I have guildies buying 20+ right now because they don't know when they would ever come back. That's basically a TR a day for 20 days. And with them even saying if they could just get a "xp stone" they would spend x5 of what they already do, and spend the next half a year TR'ing a new alt each day.

Community Member

Default Nope, last chance.

Right up until there is a need for a quick cash influx, so expect them to release them with the next game update/soon after when everyone swears they won't be giving more money.

Releasing the box is a sure way to make sure they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

The Hatchery

Can someone please explain this to me:

When the xp stones came out with MotU expansion it was said that characters can only use them once. DDO wiki says so as well. When did that change exactly? I wasn't aware that I can use a stone with each life to make my TRing faster, and if I recall correctly I did try it in the past and it didn't work. Are the xp stones that come with the Otto's boxes special in that they allow multiple uses?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix888 View Post
    Are the xp stones that come with the Otto's boxes special in that they allow multiple uses?
    Yes.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default OP, are you new to US marketing techniques?

1. You say it is limited, so people think they might not come back.

2. It says LIMITED TIME release. That means just for those 11 days. On May 14, you won't be able to buy one from the store. No where does it say GONE FOREVER.

3. Once enough people have used their stash, and leveled their latest TR, they will be back. It is called easy button addiction, or EBA.

4. Ever heard of a thing called CHRISTMAS?

5. Do you like money? The people at Turbine like money. I like money. I think selling something that is virtual for 50 bucks (or cheaper if you buy points on sale) is sort of like minting money.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!