Default Shadowfell Collector's Edition Level 28 Onyx Panther

How many people would buy the Collector's Edition if they included an upgraded battle panther?

This is something I'm really hoping for... and it would be easy for turbine to code/upgrade the existing panther.
    Dorian

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    How many people would buy the Collector's Edition if they included an upgraded battle panther?

This is something I'm really hoping for... and it would be easy for turbine to code/upgrade the existing panther.
    Personally I'd rather have something new (owlbear! ) even if it was functionally equivalent to a higher level panther.

Honestly, a panther right now isn't much use outside of pulling levers and summoning so you can run level 17 quests on non-elite difficulties and not break your streak. A level 28 version would actually be worse for the second purpose. There are severe problems with summons and hires right now as they scale horribly. On lower levels they can hold their own, but in higher content, especially epic difficulties, they serve very niche purposes like DV's, healing, opening locks, pulling levers and distracting mobs for about 2.5 seconds before the die.

It's kinda like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can bring a slightly larger knife but it's still just a knife. It's a tool with a purpose and actual useful fighting is not it.

Community Member

That's what we thought about a forum upgrade too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Well, except the panther is lvl 20, not lvl 25, so I rather doubt we'll get a lvl 28 version. Maybe lvl 24 perma-hire. And maybe it won't be a tank-type this time, we'll see.

Really the panther seems just fine, although outgunned in lvl 23/24 quests on hard/elite - which, a lvl 20 probably should be. Even so with appropriate buffs from a lvl 25 Druid I seem to recall the panther being a suitable distraction on EH quests and plenty survivable...of course, the druid was doing most of his surviving for him, but to be expected I think.

Not really sure what we'll actually see. A high-level perma-cleric seems unlikely; a high-level perma-rogue seems even more unlikely (knock on a stick, basically). Tank was nice but hireling tank will never be good enough for EE; neither will hireling DPS. The AI is miles away on having a reasonable offensive caster from what I can tell; maybe an archer build of some sort? Shiradi perma-hire would be cute. Since the starter pack offered a perma-healer at lvl 3 I've been hoping they'd offer something for the pre-order, but...no word yet.

As an Elitist player, having a useless hireling in my quest is an affront to my senses (and just annoying). Unless... yeah.... EE POP lever pull.

If the CE is another perma fighter hireling..... UGH! UGH! UGH!!!!!

Standard pack for me again.

People just want something to show off. Even if it's only for cosmetics.

If turbine just puts like... an angel halo cosmetic item, I'm sure a LOT of people will buy it. Or, even like... a floating magical orb above the character's shoulders..... I'd buy like mad....

In fact... just have a magical floating orb following the character like a pet. That'd sell I'm sure.... lol.....

Completely useless, but... awesome....
    Last edited by Dyna-The-Cat; 05-09-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Community Member

Default Heh...

It is going to come with the MoTU expansion.

Hehe. Hell, I might even be persuaded to end my 2 1/2 year streak of refusing to give Turbine money (even though I caved once and actually bought MoTU on the DDOMarket, only to tell them to give me my money back 2 days later when the instructions in the E-Mail did not match a single on screen instruction in MyAccount as per the aforementioned instructions in the aforementioned E-Mail)

I seriously expect the big draw for the new expansion (otherwise known as an update in previous years) will include full MoTU access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I think the current panther is useful doing quests at level (lvl 20ish). It just really becomes useless when you get to higher level epics like in gianthold. I agree that the Hireling AI needs some work.

I think it would be a good addition to the collector's pack.
    Dorian

fighter hire are useless imo.. i rarely use that panther.. the only useful hire is healer.. how about a owl bear healer?

Quote Originally Posted by ~redspecter23-A View Post
    Honestly, a panther right now isn't much use outside of pulling levers and summoning so you can run level 17 quests on non-elite difficulties and not break your streak. A level 28 version would actually be worse for the second purpose. There are severe problems with summons and hires right now as they scale horribly. On lower levels they can hold their own, but in higher content, especially epic difficulties, they serve very niche purposes like DV's, healing, opening locks, pulling levers and distracting mobs for about 2.5 seconds before the die.

It's kinda like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can bring a slightly larger knife but it's still just a knife. It's a tool with a purpose and actual useful fighting is not it.
    Oh man, you need to get a replacement panther as mine is ubber, or learn to stone skin it with blur as well

Tasmania - Yes it's an actual place and no, Tasmanian Devils don't spin around and eat people

I would rather see them release a pet as a level appropriate one that levels with you and can be used at all levels rather then a set level pet only useful at some levels.
    A friend will bail you out of jail.
    A mate will be sitting in there beside you saying "Damn that was awsome!!!"

Unguilded of Orien

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falco_Easts View Post
    I would rather see them release a pet as a level appropriate one that levels with you and can be used at all levels rather then a set level pet only useful at some levels.
    The problem with this would be introducing a mechanic to make a hireling contract level up, though i guess a workaround could be to have a specific NPC with a barter box interface thats able to trade any level of that hire for a version with a different level, so as you level you just pop over & get the most up-to-date version (including letting you downgrade too for TRing)... thought that'd require a lot of work to make up to 28 different versions - maybe just make a version for every 3 or 4 levels.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    The problem with this would be introducing a mechanic to make a hireling contract level up, though i guess a workaround could be to have a specific NPC with a barter box interface thats able to trade any level of that hire for a version with a different level, so as you level you just pop over & get the most up-to-date version (including letting you downgrade too for TRing)... thought that'd require a lot of work to make up to 28 different versions - maybe just make a version for every 3 or 4 levels.
    Arti/druid pets, and the upcoming palemaster summon, already have the required mechanic in place to dynamically adapt to the character level of the summoner, should just be a case of setting a database with the correct hireling stats and spells for each level.

And as you reset it every time you enter a quest after leveling, the contract just needs to check your level and load the appropriate hireling stat/spell/gear set.

It really should be simple to do, and even battle cat could be retconned.