Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    The Hatchery dejafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Posts
    767

    Default New cosmetic armor system

    So after I found myself with 4 million astral shards on lama-land, I figured I'd sit around with the Gold Daily Dice for awhile and see what all I could generate.

    I ended up getting a few cosmetic armors that work with the new system - that is, you place the cosmetic armor in a special cosmetic slot, and can replace it with something different without losing the original cosmetic armor set (yay!). The armors I got were also bound to account, so they can be swapped between characters without too much hassle (yay!!).

    The armors are also categorized by type and are not at all dependent on the armor type you're actually wearing. So for example, one of the pieces I pulled was "Gold Crest: Heavy Armor," which made it look like my robe-wearing wizard was clad in plate.

    The armors themselves were mostly the same as pre-existing armor kits, just using the new system. I did, however, end up pulling a "Garb of the High Forest" that used the Leaves of the Forest skin, so it looks like some other iconic armor appearances in the game are going to be available (yay!!!). I also talked to somebody who had won a cosmetic helm that was one of those creepy glowing spider-quori things (you know, like my avatar picture ), so we're getting some new helms as well (yay!!!!).
    Last edited by dejafu; 05-07-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

  2. #2
    The Hatchery dejafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Also, something I thought was a nice touch: the item description for the new armor kits says "Glamered clothing: This clothing has been enchanted to cause the wearer to look like they are attired in [a robe/heavy armor/etc.].

    So to those who complain about things like 'how does that so-called armor even offer any kind of protection??' and the like, you can just point to the description and say

    Name:  its_magic.jpg
Views: 3122
Size:  23.4 KB
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    The armors are also categorized by type and are not at all dependent on the armor type you're actually wearing. So for example, one of the pieces I pulled was "Gold Crest: Heavy Armor," which made it look like my robe-wearing wizard was clad in plate.
    Everything else sounds great, but I'll be the grump who doesn't like this. I don't like the idea of robed wizards looking like they're in full plate. It just seems hokey.

    I'm probably in the minority, and I'll get over it, but bah-humbug, I don't like it.

  4. #4
    The Hatchery dejafu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    Everything else sounds great, but I'll be the grump who doesn't like this. I don't like the idea of robed wizards looking like they're in full plate. It just seems hokey.

    I'm probably in the minority, and I'll get over it, but bah-humbug, I don't like it.
    Eh, I figured there'd be objections on that account, and I get it. But on the flip side, this also means that people who were sick of seeing their tanks run around in pajamas or their monks run around in dresses finally have a way to have their characters look the way that they want them to (Heck, there's an entire thread of people begging for Dragonscale Outfits just because they hate the way that robes look on their monks).

    I'd much prefer people choose their own aesthetics and a few of those people make hokey choices rather than people being forced into hokey appearances.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Well, if they won't let me make an actual spellsword, at least I can look lke one!

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default All good cosmetic changes

    Dejafu, thanks for reporting this.

    I think these will all be very good things for the Turbine economy.

    I especially appreciate the flavor considerations.
    The absurd forum change has forced 'SealedInSong' to become 'TuskCouncil' temporarily.

    Thanks for shaking up the forums until they're unreadable and unusable instead of fixing all the bugs and releasing a coherent enhancement alpha!

  7. #7
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,872

    Default

    I'm pretty happy about these changes. I enjoy using the armor kits since I use them on BTA armor or BTC armor I can re-craft for my TRs, but this system seems to have more potential.

  8. #8
    Community Member ~kruemeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    81

    Default

    so there is a new cosmetic System?

    Did the Lammania U18 release notes get posted anywhere? Haven't managed to find them yet...
    kruemeli - Orien. Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits
    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...ld-Name-Change
    It's OK to be "merry":
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I kind of wished that the Devs took the time to make a third cosmetic skin slot for Shields.

    If this goes over well (and I suspect it will go over better than the previous skins and cosmetic masks) maybe they can revisit this to add Shields. Maybe make the Armor Skins work with the Shields, if a Shield slot is added.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexfax View Post
    I kind of wished that the Devs took the time to make a third cosmetic skin slot for Shields.

    If this goes over well (and I suspect it will go over better than the previous skins and cosmetic masks) maybe they can revisit this to add Shields. Maybe make the Armor Skins work with the Shields, if a Shield slot is added.
    Tell them in feedback.

  11. #11

    Default

    How did you get 4 million shards?

    How common were they?

    Are they tradable?

    Can we see what they look like on the characters?

  12. #12
    2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dTarkanan View Post
    How did you get 4 million shards?

    How common were they?

    Are they tradable?

    Can we see what they look like on the characters?
    In L-Space ?

    About as common as sitting on a table in stacks of a lot that respawn in less than a second...
    It's in the Dojo... Like Plat, Dragonshard and lots of other stuff... sitting on ground, table, in chests...

    Don't worry, it's something they make sure every time is not sent to live. ( well the Dojo is probably here, but it's door is not )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

  13. #13
    Community Member shad0wguns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    were ever im needed
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dejafu View Post
    The armors themselves were mostly the same as pre-existing armor kits, just using the new system. I did, however, end up pulling a "Garb of the High Forest" that used the Leaves of the Forest skin, so it looks like some other iconic armor appearances in the game are going to be available (yay!!!). I also talked to somebody who had won a cosmetic helm that was one of those creepy glowing spider-quori things (you know, like my avatar picture ), so we're getting some new helms as well (yay!!!!).
    I just found a unique one on live with a gold roll. The Robe of Winter Ice. Here is a link with pictures of it.

    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...76#post5007076

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shad0wguns View Post
    I just found a unique one on live with a gold roll. The Robe of Winter Ice. Here is a link with pictures of it.

    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...76#post5007076
    Thanks for sharing, let us know if you find anymore

  15. #15
    Community Member Aliss7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Happy Hunting Grounds
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Yah, I think the type of the cosmetic armor should match what your currently wearing, but I'm pretty sure that's a minority position and it's not worth getting bent out of shape over.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    Everything else sounds great, but I'll be the grump who doesn't like this. I don't like the idea of robed wizards looking like they're in full plate. It just seems hokey.

    I'm probably in the minority, and I'll get over it, but bah-humbug, I don't like it.
    I've seen games go both ways on this, and overall, I prefer to have the option of cosmetics not matching mechanics. But in practice I nearly always pick stuff which does match the mechanics. Nearly always.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386

    Default

    The store description doesn't say whether these are BtA, BtC, or what. Are there any tradeable cosmetic armors?
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

  18. #18
    Community Member SealedInSong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    997

    Default DDOwiki

    If someone can start a glamored armor section on ddowiki that'd be wonderful.

    As it stands, the only SS I've seen is that awesome winter ice robe gold shard roll.
    Character Compendium
    __________________
    Sarlona*Eternal Wrath
    __________________

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload