Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

Default The Official Bladeforged Discussion Thread!

Please use this thread to discuss the Bladeforged Iconic!

We would also appreciate it if you would fill out the Bladeforged Iconic Survey

Community Member

Is not being able to TR WAI?
    If we are not able to TR, why should we even be interested in them?
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    Please use this thread to discuss the Bladeforged Iconic!

We would also appreciate it if you would fill out the Bladeforged Iconic Survey
    Sorry man, but what exactly is it that we are to discuss?

Can we get some more details about the thinking behind the concept of the Iconic Heroes and what you would like us to play around with? I'm assuming this is only the first of 4 or 6?

If it's just to be able to start a character off at level 15, ungeared, and then head off out into the world to see how it gets on in level-appropriate content then that's one thing.

Is it to compare it to other class builds? To make a bladeforged juggernaught and see how it handles? Does it have any implications or connections for the Epic Reincarnation that we've been teased with, or are these iconic heroes just a stand-alone thing.

As a flavour build, it's a nice novelty and I'm not knocking it. But I feel that we could do with a better idea of how exactly it's intended to fit into the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post

If it's just to be able to start a character off at level 15, ungeared, and then head off out into the world to see how it gets on in level-appropriate content then that's one thing..
    They are fully equipped.
    32 pt build.
    LoB as the deity w/ special attributes.
    Put the toon through it's paces, and give them feedback.
    As for the whole iconic hero concept, who knows, but it's a nice addition (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    They are fully equipped.
    32 pt build.
    LoB as the deity w/ special attributes.
    Put the toon through it's paces, and give them feedback.
    As for the whole iconic hero concept, who knows, but it's a nice addition (IMO)
    I'm not sure I would call it "fully equipped"

By level 15 I would plan on having +6 items in main stats and at least a swappable feather fall item. Also at least a couple different situational weapons. (A maul for undead at a minimum)

I'm a bit worried about an even greater healing amp penalty on a melee class. Unless this is meant to be primarily for soloers (should have decent self healing) in group/raid situations the healers are likely going to be gouging their eyes out. If they are meant to self heal in a raid their DPS is going to drop a lot.

Some where between here and forgetting all together

It would really help if we had some more ideas as to the purpose of these Iconic classes, then I could offer feedback as to whether or not your doing it right.
    " All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage." -Sherlock

Thelanis Server -Kwei Li, Morrgane, Scatach Una, Aislen, Crowker of the Black Company, Vespir, Nigella of the Mist, Faolan, Sanpaku, Craevin

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrelarVersion2 View Post
    I'm not sure I would call it "fully equipped"

By level 15 I would plan on having +6 items in main stats and at least a swappable feather fall item. Also at least a couple different situational weapons. (A maul for undead at a minimum)

I'm a bit worried about an even greater healing amp penalty on a melee class. Unless this is meant to be primarily for soloers (should have decent self healing) in group/raid situations the healers are likely going to be gouging their eyes out. If they are meant to self heal in a raid their DPS is going to drop a lot.
    I suspect the Bladesworn are more ideal for Juggernaught builds than anything else (builds that self-heal).

However, I find that the Bladesworn have too many penalties for the relative lack of benefit they provide - the repair amp item was nice (and is a step in the right direction), but Bladeforged should recieve a slight innate boost to repair amp for the penalties they suffer. Their iconic gear also seems to be more geared toward the new enhancement pass (an item that gives +15-+20 to repair).

Other than that, most of their weapons/gear is kinda bleh - especially the greatsword. However, I will be attempting a 32-point build juggernaught to see just what the Bladesworn can accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemoneyes View Post
    Is not being able to TR WAI?
    If we are not able to TR, why should we even be interested in them?
    Sounds like they are yet another new system thrown into the mix without integrating them with existing systems.

Oh and yes I agree if they do not fully function with the TR system then they are a horrible use of development time and a design failure.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

It would've been nice for sorceror with the extra +2 cha except that you're forced into pally and you can't TR. So instead it's worthless for sorceror.
    Arcscoob Beefscoob Scoobmx Scoobshot : ChaosKnights : Argonnessen
    Weapon Damage Modeler : Abbot Raid Manual : My Builds : My Trades

Has anyone tried the Lord of Blades Raid with a Bladeforged yet...any unique scenes or anything? maybe have you switch sides or something I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Arcscoob View Post
    It would've been nice for sorceror with the extra +2 cha except that you're forced into pally and you can't TR. So instead it's worthless for sorceror.
    You aren't forced to go full paladin only one level so you could make a Sorc18/Pally2 which is a fairly popular build.

Community Member

I like the idea, but it needs tweaking:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ed-suggestions

I think it should be stronger given the awesome intro it had.

This is a GREAT character option, provided that it's still made available for TRing. I loved the intro with the Lord of Blades, the look is fantastic, and the extra bits are nice without being game breaking (though I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that Bladeforged take 10% less slashing damage - not a bad racial ability at all!).

As it stands right now, though, Iconics are probably going to be heavily marginalized - veteran players will have no interest in building up a character that they can't TR, and will also likely shun people who are playing them (it sure doesn't help that they'll be easy to spot).

Now, if the concern is that the slightly-more-powerful Iconics are too good of an option to allow for TRing, consider the following option: let people TR into a level 1 Iconic character (no auto-level to 15, obviously), but with two fewer build points (e.g. a 32 point build becomes a 30 point build). That will still give players a possible motivation to choose one of the more standard races while expanding available options for everybody.
    Raever of Madness * Stormraver * Fireraver * Dreamraver * Skyraver * Solraver * Technoraver * Raverlution * Foraver
    Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Turning Ghostbane into a meme is, in my book, the best thing to happen to DDO in awhile.

Community Member

Default pics please

Can someone make (and post) a sexy screen shot? For the droolz and science and DDOWiki.

Default Feedback

Your "Way of the Bladeforged" premade path is junk. It seems like you've tried to do too many things at once at just turned out gimp. This is not the way to intro new players to character building. Here's why:

1) The premise of the Bladeforged appears to be Greatsword melee Pally. Obvious by the name and flavor text. So the build should focus there.

2) Starting stats:
    16 Str - why not max?
    6 Dex - Fine. Adamantine Body means Max Dex is +1, so no need to invest
    16 Con - Fine.
    8 Int - No choice. Fine I guess
    14 Wis - This Pally's strength is not in spell casting. Wasted points.
    14 Cha - Prereq for Divine Might and therefor DoS. On a new player with no tomes, I guess we're stuck with it.

so stats should be:
    18 Str
    6 Dex
    16 Con
    8 Int
    10 Wis
    14 Cha

3) Bladeforged Feat
    This seems to be OK, except for 2 things: the obvioius bug with the Active Icon and the 3sec duration. Fix that. And, Positive Healing penalty. As per the flavor text, this warforged has a very close tie to his Deity. This would imply a BUFF to Positive Healing, not a penalty. WF already suffer far too much in this area, and as a front line melee character there just seems to be no reason for this kind of a penalty. Even with the new Enhancements (maybe ESPECIALLY with), self healing will be tight. Let's not make this brute of a melee even tougher on the party healers. Boost Pos AND Repair Healing instead. From a Lord of Blades favourite, shined upon by his god, Uber warforged remade into a Bladeforged perspective, it makes sense. Plus it makes sense from a new player thrust into life as a level 15 character just learning the ropes to make his first character not so squishy.

4) Other feats taken seem OK.

5) Skills
    All points into Concentration? Why? A Pally's spells are mostly out-of-combat buffs. He can self-heal out of combat, and rely on his AC, PRR, -10% slash, and possibly wands/pots/party healer for in-combat top ups. Points better spent all going into Balance.
    On the topic of Skills though, your Bladeforgeds (I won't go into other races/classes) should really have Heal and Repair as class skills. Particularly in light of the new Enhs.

6) Reincarnation
    I can only hope the current restriction is temporary, to force us to look at this from a new player standpoint. Simply from the standpoint of TOMES, the Bladeforged just plain NEED the ability to reincarnate. A new player, once he gets the feel for his character and aquires a tome or three, will see that he can skimp on Cha and bumb Int and Dex to help optimise his build while still meeting the stat req's for his PrE. PLEASE do not force Iconics to a gimpy fate.

7) Gear. Okay, your gear choices aren't terrible, but in combination with the premade path's gimpiness, and the fact that the player will be literally HURLED into some fairly substantial mid-high level quests, you could have done much better. New players will outgrow that gear VERY quickly, and not really gain any benefit from having it out of the gate to begin with. Consider tossing in a couple combat clickies, more Repair/Heal amp, Featherfall, Jump, Balance, and Threat. Taken as a whole, the gearout is just lackluster.

8) New players starting at 15 will have zero clue about how to handle Enhancements. Give new players the option to take an Enhancement tutorial, while building their DoS or KotC PrEs. Otherwise, you've set them on a premade path but hung them out to dry on the real meat of their build. This would include getting them to create a couple more hotbars and showing them how to drag abilities from their feat/enh/spell/inventory pages into bars.
    Last edited by BOgre; 05-08-2013 at 02:49 AM.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Ok, Bladeforged is typically Eberron...
    But I thought it was said that Iconic Characters were going to be a Faerun thing, so that people could start directly in Faerun, and there was going to be quests in Faerun for them. ( ok, the quests are coming )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

So here's what I'm thinking so far.

1. They're a nice flavour build.
    2. I'm guessing with the lack of insight into the concept behind them that they're designed to be a pick-up-and-play character, so you can quickly get into the action with friends or guildies who are doing lvl 15-18 stuff when your main characters are somewhere up at 25-28
    3. Allowing a brand new player to buy this with TP and jump into things on Elite will cause multiple trainwrecks.
    4. Not allowing it to TR is fine. Why should people be able to start at 15, TR and then Otto-TR their way to completionist? It just makes a mockery of the work that others have put in. Tomes and XP pots allow you more than enough ways to speed your levelling progress if that's what you want, simply skipping mid-game content is utter nonsense.
    5. The introduction of the new cosmetic armours is cute too.
    6. They're not geared for doing an elite streak on an average player, but if they're designed for first lifers only and intended to be semi-disposable then that's not an issue, a hard streak will get them to 20 quickly enough.

Community Member

Default As far as TR'ing the bladeforged.

Okay I haven't had the chance to get on lamma yet and personally review the bladeforged, but as a player of a warforged paladin as my primary. I did have a couple suggestions based on what I've seen on the forums.

1) - Another ten percent penalty to healing amp makes this a really difficult ummm. "prestige race?" to justify choosing. I've been playing warforged for years and one thing I can tell you is that healers hate us right off the bat, even my heavily heal amped monk and paladin.
    I had to build my paladin to be totally self reliant even while raid tanking, which was gratifying but difficult as all hell. I really want to be able to like the bladeforged, but these crappy repair spells are not what the warforged paladin needs. We are a meaty bunch with very high hit points, often built only by experienced players and loaded up with spellpoint boosters (sometimes just circumstantial but I like mine) the spells we need are stronger healing, give us reconstruct, or for that matter, give us a heal spell already, or a half strength heal clone, even that would be more substantial then the BS repairs your offering.

2) Just get rid of the mass repairs already, you are never going to see a party with enough forged to justify using them, stop trying to make them appealing, they're not.

3) I don't care about not being able to TR out of this build However, there's definitely no chance I'm going to go through the hell of rebuilding a brand new character into the paladin I want my bladeforged to be. You can tell me you level me to 15 for free and give me some gear all you want, I can guarantee you don't give me the gear I need for the build I'd be doing and I am NOT spending another year and a half farming gear out.
    With that said, please let us TR into the bladeforged, I don't give a damn about free levels to begin with so take those away when you TR into a bladeforged, who cares, people who really want to play it will level it. I'm looking at it and thinking it would be awesome as a final life on my paladin, so far he hasn't TR'ed at all and that's just because there's nothing really worth the grind right now. Give me a TR into option for the bladeforged and you'll get 11 true heart sales from me alone.

Community Member

As someone who has TR'ed only one character over the past 7 years (who is now parked at 13 because I found it too grindy), I can say that I'll likely roll exactly one of these: a Sorc 18/Pally 2 Shiradi. But, I agree that I'd like to see them as something that can be part of a normal TR chain.

- I'd like to see a TR-into option that still forces the Pally level at level 1, and *doesn't* give any free XP after that.

- I don't see a huge problem with allowing someone who started at level 15 on their first life the ability to TR out, while forcing anyone who went Bladeforged on second/subsequent lives to put in the full 20 levels. This isn't that much different that the current veteran status starts, just amped up a bit.

- If this is really seen as a problem, give people the option *not* to take 15 levels on their first life.

- I'm guessing the biggest problem with LR is the code to make sure that nobody can switch out that first Pally level. That being said: figure it out. If "no LR" is in place, I'm definitely not ever rolling one of these, even if only planning on one life!

Can someone post what you guys are talking about or link it to me? I mean, feats that they have, that they get, I'm reading Pally stuff..what?

I can't log on Lama right now and I'd like to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Farwil, Chaos Gamblers - Argonessen.

Honestly without knowing what iconic heroes was except being level 15 this isnt as bad as people make it out to be. sure the gear will not make it for elite and all but you can at least do normal for sure. Its a good start up. Its nice if you want to pick up a preset type build aka bladesworn and any other iconic hero to play with a friend. i didnt mind it so much. I knew when i saw the name i got to play a wf paladin. i didn't get mislead what so ever.

i hope they will be able to be tred at one point or another like the arti/druid etc.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast