Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Highly experienced tabletop player startiing game

Hi there all. I have played tabletop 3.5 d and d for years. I'm looking to try ddo and am looking for a guild that doesn't mind fostering newer players and showing them the ropes. Looking for a guild that also does RP events.

Community Member

Default Welcome!

Indeed, welcome to DDO. Now, as an experienced PnP player here's the first thing you need to do...

Figure out that PnP and DDO are two very different things. Unfortunately, the tabletop game doesn't translate very well to the pace and player demands of an MMO.

Assuming people are looking at the forums at the moment, considering recent issues due to a platform migration, you should be able to find the guild you're looking for. In lieu of being shown the ropes, I'll try to provide a few generic tips...

* You want hit points - no matter what your character is, especially as someone new to DDO. A 300hp disintegrate to the face is not pleasant when your base HPs are sitting at ~200 and you're poorly geared. Generally the expected minimum starting constitution is 14 - you may be able to get away with less, depending on how good you are, and even then you can get unlucky. I'm not that good.

* The early quests and levels provide a good tutorial into how the game works. Pay attention to it and you're already a better player than the tweens who ignore it and don't even wonder what yellow numbers mean when hitting skeletons with their swords.

* Don't take the predefined paths. Generally they're considered gimp. You may choose to take one on an early toon to see the gist of what's going on, and then wipe and restart it. Better to use Ron's planner and customise your character plan. Also fun to play with during any downtime, and available at: http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/

* Familiarise with the abbreviations... BYOH = Bring Your Own Hjeals, other terms such as Zerg, BB streaking, IP ... blah blah blah. Once you know 'em you're all set for tackling the intricacies and fuzzy expectations set in the LFM (Looking For More) list on the social panel.

* Use the advice channel. /a I'm new here and I haven't been reading any of the game tips. Why is my sword broken???

* If you don't go VIP (subscription model), get yourself to Premium by buying at least 1 Turbine Point bundle. This unlocks stuff like extra character slots and increased capacity for cash.

Above all, if you leave, give me all your stuff, 'm'kay?

You should find that there's a bit of a learning curve, more in the combat dynamics than the concepts for a seasoned PnP vet. Have fun!

Community Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! I'v actually inherited this account from my brother and he has several things bought already! I'm hoping to try out a spellcaster or rogue type character. For anyone considering me it seems most of my brothers unlocked stuff is on cannith server.
    Last edited by godzilla5939; 05-07-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Greetings and welcome to DDO! Myself and my guild buddies are on Cannith (Shadow Warriors) we know a few things about the game so could run with to show you stuff. Our guild is closed for the most part though we are discussing it at the moment.

Anyway look me up on Cannith my main toons are Horlath Stormbreaker and Kurack Nytewalker or of course contact me here.

Enjoy the game!

Stoner81.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla5939 View Post
    Hi there all. I have played tabletop 3.5 d and d for years. I'm looking to try ddo and am looking for a guild that doesn't mind fostering newer players and showing them the ropes. Looking for a guild that also does RP events.
    Take a look at the "Static Group" category.

Welcome to DDO. You come across as just the sort of person we look for in The Silver Legion, part of the multi-game Guild Medieval.

We work to create a friendly, relaxed, mature, family friendly gaming environment. We've been around as a whole since 2001, and in DD0 on the Cannith server since the server launched when DDO went free to play in September 09. We have a large mix of members of all ages, nationalities and experience levels and are more interested in the person behind the keyboard.

If this sounds interesting please visit our recruitment thread:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Legion-Cannith

And our website (currently being rebuilt following a server move, the forums are up and very active however) www.guildmedieval.coM