Community Member

Default Is a ranged bard build viable?

Hi everyone
    I'm interested in starting a bard but i'm thinking I might want to do damage from afar instead of getting into melee range.
    So is using either ranged spells, or ranged weapons for DPS as a Bard viable?

Community Member

Depends on what you mean by viable. Bards are one of the weaker classes at the moment IMO but like every class the skill of the players always mean more than the class and bards are always welcome for their buffs...I've never rolled a bardicifer or bard/ranger but I'm sure your main contribution would be support, DPS would be 2nd rate but I'm sure groups would be happy to have you just for the buffs/healing. With some good gear and the right destiny DPS should go from meh to good. My horc battle cleric is geared well and does better melee DPS than the majority of fighters/barbs/monks/rangers/pallies I group with because of his maxed out destiny (FoTW) and gear. I'm sure you could do the same on a bard.

As for casting...I don't know much about bards but spellsingers of all types seem to be the most demanded and are always welcome in groups for their DC song.
    Last edited by Akksol; 05-06-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Community Member

AA Warchanter can be a neat little thing.

14 bard/6 ranger Elf or Half-Elf can be a viable option easily. You still have some spells with bard, but can also use bows well with manyshot and such. Also, you can dual-wield for melee then, too.

Bards have the same problem as paladins do.

They need charisma and a lot of feats they need but cant have.

So imho it is either go pure enchantment/evocation sonic damage and cc + buffs fascinate etc.

Or splash ranger for ranged feats. 2 rogue for evasion and trap skills. 2 fighter for feats or artificer barbarian etc.

If you decide to splash ,I would suggest to keep 15 levels of bard.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default Prior to 2009, I made a Heavy Repeater Bard/rogue

My first bard. Drow Elf. Because Drow have high Charisma. Two levels of rogue. The rest is bard.

A sort of jack of all trades character. Can buff you, can do most traps, can do some healing. I was welcome in most Raids. I knew how to run the Stones in HOX and how to run the Shroud. I did the friendly GH buffing, the hasting, the bard songs, the blurring, and that allowed the Sorcerors and Wizards to save their mana for destruction.

I chose repeater because I had a cool repeater I wanted to use. What I found was that heavy repeaters were near impossible to find back then. If you found a paralyzer, disruptor, or banisher, it was a time to jump for sheer joy.

The good side, hardly anyone ever wanted their bolts from chests.

I usually buffed people, then stood back and let others get aggro, then I brought out my repeater.

In my opinion, a bard is a good secondary character in a party, but don't rely on them for saving your derriere. It is an interesting character to play and is a change of pace. There are uber bard players out there, I am not one of them.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Community Member

I have a pure bard Virtuoso with maxed-out CHA and specced for enchantment/fascinate/crowd control. Which means most of his tricks do not work on red-named, especially before Epic Destinies. At level 17 or 18 he suffered several humiliating defeats at the hands of Devashta (Extraplanar Vault challenge), and crafted a Mineral II longbow specifically as boss beater. Greensteel Mineral is holy/earth, and since Acid Blast adds very little damage, I selected Exceptional CON +2 as my Tier III effect (now it is Insight CON +2) on the assumption that when I am trying to stay away from melee is the good time to have as many hit points as possible.

The bard is now level 24, and Insight CON +2 became redundant when he got Chitin Terrorweb with Insight CON +3, but he still uses this bow -- almost exclusively on red-named bosses. Harmonic Resonance works with arrows, so there is synergy with sonic spells, and I often bring arrows for specific boss (elf bane, chaotic outsider bane, etc.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenNinja View Post
    Hi everyone
    I'm interested in starting a bard but i'm thinking I might want to do damage from afar instead of getting into melee range.
    So is using either ranged spells, or ranged weapons for DPS as a Bard viable?
    I've never played a bard, so I dont know - is 14 levels of Bard enough? You're either looking at a 14 bard/6 rgr, using a bow, or a 14 bard/6 arti, using a rxb. Honestly, though, since WF make subpar Bards, the Bardificer isnt really giving you much beyond 1d6 elemental damage and 5 charges of Endless Fusillade...and some -ASF, dont know if that's worth much...

AA bard ranger is probably the way to do it, thats the only way you're going to squeeze in the feats you need, and you wont have to meet dex reqs either, freeing up points for STR/CON/CHA

Really, if you can put it off a few months, the enhancement pass in the fall is likely to make ranged combat a lot more in line with melee. A bardcher is going to be a lot more viable then, I think....if there's another TR life you can run in the summer instead, that might work out better

The short answer is yes, though as others have said it depends on how you define viable. As a soloist it could be tricky and may require a fair bit of gear & experience to be really solid. As party support and/or CC that provides supplemental dps it should be fairly straight forward doable.

That said, I would caution you to not invest your time & effort too heavily in the build as we have the enhancement pass looming soon. This isn't a doom warning, just saying that certain build choices like level split(if multiclassing) feats for prerequisites, etc are going to change. For some it will be minor, others major, but no way to know till it hits live in it's *final form.

*of course, things are always subject to change even then, but usually just minor system tweaks
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member

I did a life as a 12/6/2 bard/arti/rogue (oops)took all the standard xbow feats and anything to help with healing did human for the extra feat.
    Did Dex 16, con 16, chr 16
    ABMAAAAAMBx11
    Had a bunch of past lives to backup my casting used shout & sound burst because I had 3 Sorc lives & a wiz for an extra + to DC (useless in elite but good for norm/hard type runs)
    Used the Arti infusions & bard spells to heal.

I don't think I'd play it much into epics,
    It was average dps ... but could do a bit of CC so it worked for a life,
    Wouldn't suggest it without lots of gear and lives to back it up.
    Last edited by Theolyn; 05-14-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Theolyn View Post
    I did a life as a 12/6/2 bard/arti/monk took all the standard xbow feats and.
    I'm curious how you played a toon that is bard required to be non lawful with a monk splash that requires you to be lawful.

Perhaps that was a rogue splash for evasion and not monk?