Default Cannith Challenges: solo or PUG?

I recently came back to the game after an 8-12 month hiatus but unfortunately most of guild hasn't returned. However, there are some Cannith items I'd like to get and I'm wondering what's my best option to do so.

I mostly solo and have 2 capable solo characters: a WF Wiz 16 AM Evoker and a Human Art 20.

I've only run a few of the challenges and that was usually with a couple of friends who knew the challenges really well so I was primarily along for the ride. So what's my best bet at this point?

Should I just PUG and let people know I don't know them very well or solo and learn them? If solo, should I run then at level or a few levels below?

Thanks!

I prefer pugging them. People who normally run challenges - and there are some dedicated challenge players - really know what they're doing. So when I pug them, it's pretty easy to get full stars. I can solo the kobold ones, no problem, getting around 250-300 mats/run. With a good group, where I can just concentrate on torchrunning and do no fighting, I can pull 500 mats/run pretty normally.

Community Member

It depend of the challenge and if you go for mats or for stars

Challenge scale a lot with group size

If you go for stars, best is to go in large groups and over-leveled, and split (everyone go after 1 or 2 objectives)
    If you go for mats, best is to go solo or in small groups. Even one hireling can add a lot of scaling

For example, Epic Time is money or Epic Colossal Cristal
    I can usually solo it. But if i bring one hireling, i usually fail.
    Reason : mobs have more hp. Fixed mobs are the same, but spawning mobs are doubled. And between the dancing sphere, the blade barriers and the cometfall, kobold don't survive long

Rushmore manor : it is usually easier to have more people to split and collect crests quicker
    Lava Cave : Ideal is either to solo with a char who can cast dimension door or to be 2 : 1 who torch and one who protect the line/stay at start. Exception with colossal cristal, where i think it is easier to protect the kobold who get the colossal cristal if you are alone (less npcs)

Extraplanar Palace : Ideally 2 person : 1 stay at start and kill monster, other do torching

Kobold Island : easier to solo it. Reason : if you are alone, a mage cannon is enough to protect an extractor. if you are in group (or just with one hireling), the cannon will be overwhelmed (dungeon scaling !)

Cool, thanks for the help.

In general, is it better to run challenges at your level or above, whether solo or in a group?

Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    Cool, thanks for the help.

In general, is it better to run challenges at your level or above, whether solo or in a group?
    I test around to see how many baddies I can kill, how fast, how much damage I'm taking. If it feels easy, I increase the level. Higher levels increase your mats drop rate by 10% per level above yours, I believe.