Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Lamannia Coordinator SqueakofDoom's Avatar
    The End of the Universe - The view is great!

While they are not proper Release Notes, here are some answers to your questions:
    • Update 18 is NOT the Shadowfell Conspiracy Expansion Pack
    • Update 18 has quests introducing you to the environment and lore that will appear in the Shadowfell Conspiracy
    • These Quests are only Heroic difficulty
    • While the named loot has not yet been added to the three U18 quests, the three quests will have named loot
    • We have renamed "Toughness" (on items) to be "Vitality"
    • Bladeforged Iconics are not supposed to be able to reincarnate
    • We are working on fixing the Character Copy tool
    • We are working on making the Test Dojo door permanent on Lamannia! (While we have a fix, it still needs to be tested.)

Please feel free to bug anything that seems like a bug to you. It is better to bug something that is working as intended than to not bug something that is actually a bug.

Also, while I'm not sure why Lamannia had a brief downtime, I have replaced the Dojo and Eveningstar Doors in the Marketplace (near the Trainers).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    While they are not proper Release Notes, here are some answers to your questions:
    • Update 18 has quests introducing you to the environment and lore that will appear in the Shadowfell Conspiracy
    • While the named loot has not yet been added to the three U18 quests, the three quests will have named loot
    • We are working on making the Test Dojo door permanent on Lamannia! (While we have a fix, it still needs to be tested.)

Please feel free to bug anything that seems like a bug to you. It is better to bug something that is working as intended than to not bug something that is actually a bug.

Also, while I'm not sure why Lamannia had a brief downtime, I have replaced the Dojo and Eveningstar Doors in the Marketplace (near the Trainers).
    Thank you. Better than nothing, at least it can answer some of the questions of those testing.

Do you mean they are not supposed to reincarnate YET or not reincarnate at ALL, meaning that even on live, they will never be given any reincarnate options?

Bladeforged Iconics are not supposed to be able to reincarnate
    Will this be a permanent part of Iconics, or is this a temporary state for testing purposes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Squeak

The test Dojo is pretty much worthless if we cannot get proper items. I dont know why there are so many low level and pointless items in the treasure room.

Some classes are impossible to gear up and it takes forever.

Then theres that room with the numbered things you click on which spawn a gelatinous cube and gives you a bunch of junk. What is the point in this? Maybe instead have it give us weapon/gear sets based on different class archetypes and levels.

That way we can level up and go click on the level 25 Wizard gear box for example, and be all set.

Thanks, that helps a bit....

Please update the test Dojo also. Having useful L25 gear for testing this upper level content is really helpful...but as of now testing the 3 new L15 quests...it works ok.

It would be nice to have a vendor that sells all the necessary upgrade materials (Gianthold, Abbot, Shroud, etc...) any of the hard to get stuff...that would make it easier on the devs and us playtesters. Also, when will the DDO store be available again...HATE not having decent bags...

Community Member

Well that's too bad.... definitely a sale breaker for me. I personally fail to see the point of a character that starts this close to cap, and can't do anything else after.

Bladeforged Iconics are not supposed to be able to reincarnate
    Yikes. A dead end toon. Sounds like its ok for mules and off account openers, but that's looks like a lot of dev time to just make mules better.
    The poster formerly known as TPICKRELL.... Hopefully will be again if Turbine support ever gets it straightened out. .. Grubby WF Shintao, Grubonon Human HAMP Shintao, GrubbyDark Halfling Ninja Spy, GrubbSmash Horc soon to be Henshin, GrubbyTrap Monk/Rogue/Fighter, Gralak Shirardi Sorc (soon to be PM Wiz again) and other Grubs... All on Khyber

These Quests are only Heroic difficulty
    The reason this is a concern to me is mostly because this is the introduction to an expansion that is supposed to bring an increase in the level cap to level 28 - and to get there, we're going to need more content. Of course much will depend on the implementation of the level cap increase, but when we went from level 20 to 25, all the existing epic quests got a revamp, AND the expansion pack brought us 13 epic quests, AND the U13 intro quests had an epic version. That was a fair bit of content to see us through to level 25. What are we going to get to help us get to level 28? Obviously I, and others, were hoping that the U18 intro quests would also have an epic version to help feed that epic XP need.

Yes, of course, from your point of view more bug reports is better than less, and it's easy enough to filter out the "working as designed" bugs. But this isn't our job - we're volunteering our time. When I see 50 things that seem like bugs, you're not going to get 50 bug reports. There's no way I'm writing up that much. I ask for notes to help whittle that 50 down to 20 or so, which is a little more manageable for me to consider submitting. Even if I submit only 10, that's 50%, and they'll all have a much higher chance of being something actionable. Whereas if I submit 10 of 50, only 2 of them are likely to be actionable, and you get 10% of the usable info instead of 50%. It's a basic matter of help us help you.
    Last edited by NiborRis; 05-09-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: fixing quote tag

Thanks for the answers.

So not even LR for Iconic? So are we going back to if u get your toon wrong you have to delete and start again? and you want us to pay for this?

[*]Bladeforged Iconics are not supposed to be able to reincarnate
    Fair enough, but perhaps we could have a bit of info on how the devs expect these toons to be used. Other than the mule idea which seems the best idea so far (though that is just masking another problem which is inventory management), and making a toon exclusively for Cannith ingredient farming (which is masking the problem of how higher level toons can't farm lower ingredients) what are people intended to do with them? Who is the intended audience? Please let us know how you envision these iconics being used so we can understand the thought process here. Judging by the responses, players are not understanding the purpose and shining a bit of light onto that would help.
    Last edited by redspecter23-A; 05-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.

WOW, the level of detachment is astronomical!

You aren't giving us epic, you aren't letting iconics reincarnate, can you just do all of us a favor and scap this entire update? I feel sorry for the guy doing the artwork for the bladeforged, all of his good work is for nothing.
    Cetus Heroic Lives: #32/32 | Epic Completionist: #20/24 | Iconic Lives: #6/6
    Cetusz - Pure Sorcerer: Heroic Lives: #24/24 | Epic Lives: #6/12 | Iconic Lives: #1/3
    YouTube Channel HERE
    Argonnessen's DEGENERATE MATTER

Community Member

Default Money or no money

Iconics are best treated as a new type of race/class locked combo (i.e. must start off as paladin 1, inherent 32 point character like drow, etc) rather than never allowed to reincarnate.

Not allowing people to reincarnate to or from an iconic will severely limit their palatability to existing players, who in turn will pass that message along to any savvy newer players (many of whom do ask veterans which packs are best to invest in, etc etc).

It doesn't seem like it would take a lot of work to implement a TR profile for iconics and there'd be immense payoff for it. Not allowing it seems like a very poor investment.
    The absurd forum change has forced 'SealedInSong' to become 'TuskCouncil' temporarily.

Thanks for shaking up the forums until they're unreadable and unusable instead of fixing all the bugs and releasing a coherent enhancement alpha!

Community Member

Yuck!

At least let the poor SOBs TR *out* of the iconic. People are going to feel pretty mislead if they find out they can't take part in a pretty huge part of the game because of a selection they made at character creation.

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    Yuck!

At least let the poor SOBs TR *out* of the iconic. People are going to feel pretty mislead if they find out they can't take part in a pretty huge part of the game because of a selection they made at character creation.
    If they only allow Iconics who start at level 1 to TR. Starting at level 15 and TRing 5 levels later isnt good imo.

Euro-Founder and Keeper Refugee Dexraven's Avatar

This is awesome news!

Now i don't have to buy another character slot for this new character as I'm NEVER going to roll one!

Thanks!

It does seem like this is the start of a process to kill off the low level game.
    - Characters that start at 15th level
    - Concentration on Faerun which is high level only
    - Increase in level cap to 28
    - Epic TR process (which may take you back to level 15, maybe to level 20 who knows).

It does seem as though Turbine are concentrating on the high level game with a view to killing off the low level quests. Maybe one of the reasons that a lot of the lower level crafting mechanics are not being merged into something common is that they are to be cut out in a future update?

In a year or two time I can see a version of DDO that is only levels 15-30 and only in Faerun.

Thank you for getting us even these notes.

It is my understanding that this is a very Early Preview of what is coming up for the Shadowfell Expansion. In fact, I believe I found the Expansion Portal atop the ramps at the back of Wheloon. I also understand you were motivated in letting us get a crack at some of this stuff earlier than usual, so I thank you for that as well.

I'll fill out more of the review surveys with a couple of the incidents we uncovered. We ran the quests at full cap on Elite, and we went back and did it at the proper level, 16 apiece, to see how things went. Overall, I'm wondering if XP could use a little bump, but I'd have to run another quest at a similar level to gauge that more accurately I think.

Is this part of an effort to make the Realms a bit more widely available?

Allowing early entry to the Realms for 15th level quests, with some Epics eventually being available in Wheloon as part of the ramp up to level 28?

Also, as it could be important to the new cap; how will repeat penalties be handled in levels 25-28?
    Last edited by Chasmyr; 05-10-2013 at 10:15 AM.

If they are designing iconics as a way for quick access to the realms and basically kill off early game. I would think a better approach to this would be creating low level quests in the realms and a new starter area.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TuskCouncil View Post
    Iconics are best treated as a new type of race/class locked combo (i.e. must start off as paladin 1, inherent 32 point character like drow, etc) rather than never allowed to reincarnate.

Not allowing people to reincarnate to or from an iconic will severely limit their palatability to existing players, who in turn will pass that message along to any savvy newer players (many of whom do ask veterans which packs are best to invest in, etc etc).

It doesn't seem like it would take a lot of work to implement a TR profile for iconics and there'd be immense payoff for it. Not allowing it seems like a very poor investment.
    I don't TR (insufficient time, and the double-xp exceeds my pain threshold) but I agree 100% with the above. I think locking out TRs (and even moreso LRs and GRs if that is also true) is a poor business decision. I could see maybe not coming up with past life feats for the iconics (not crazy about the idea), but not letting somebody TR into or out of the iconics makes a player have to decide if they want to purchase another class slot for what people that TR consider 'a dead end character' or delete a 'non-dead end character' to try out an iconic that they will probably 'thow-away'.

I can't see any rational reason for making it that way.
    The poster formerly known as MrkGrismer

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast