Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know what?

Default You know what?

It's pretty funny that some people are insinuating that Turbine "destroyed" the forums because they wanted to discourage people from posting. Because reading the forums these days mostly feels like a butthurt fest, imo.
    Threads about breaks from the game, quitting the game, game down the drain, game degrading, game too easy, blah blah.
    It's all (well, most of it) become about how much Turbine sucks, or how better other games are, or how the game is not being played by anyone, etc.

This has gone so far that I'm starting to think that a good 3/4 of those who post on the forums are here only to complain, even when there is no reason to; like it's become a habit or a hobby... most people on the forums don't have anything useful or helpful to write, nor they care when someone actually posts reasonable questions or provides info or even starts an interesting conversation. This behaviour is annoying, detrimental, and completely pointless, not to mention the fact that I strongly disagree with those who say that the forums represent the game population. Quite the opposite, I reckon.

Personally, I think I might actually quit. But not the game, this den of trolls and flamers called forum.

There are plenty of ways to make a forum a more positive place. Turbine, whether accidentally or on purpose, is doing a very good job lately of making things a very negative experience. There will always be people that will complain, but this one is on Turbine this time.

As an example, Turbine has a brand new update hitting Lamania today! Unfortunately, they haven't hyped it up at all. We have no idea what's in it. Where are the forum posts from devs with some hot details? No design and development articles. No explanations of the necessity of the new nerfs. No praising of the new crafting systems. Nothing. The first we'll hear about this new update is from the players that log in to test in on the test servers. Compared to other games, this sort of thing just feels like the people behind the scenes either just don't care or don't have the time to bother. Either way, it's disheartening.
    Last edited by redspecter23-A; 05-06-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Community Member

I firmly believe that Turbine has good intentions. I think that they wanted this forum change to be a good thing. Their implementation was terrible. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to let Turbine know that their implementation of this (and several other things recently as well) was terrible and that we'd like them to fix the problems. That's quite a bit different from the wailing and gnashing of teeth that I see you complaining about.

Default Ok, lets be positive then.

I have a great idea. Lets take 2/3 of the screen real estate, and completely not use it, only allowing 1/3 of the space to be used for posting. Then we'll put that 1/3 of the area we will use hey diddle diddle, right up the middle. Being logged out every 5 min also rules, as it cuts down on all those wall of text rants I would need polarized glasses to read without going snowblind.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytis View Post
    Can I have your stuff?
    The replies after mine were so funny, and no worse than mine. Except I suppose the OP getting a wee bit upset -but that's what made it funny. I loved Rest's phrasing too ("So I heard you were leaving..."), that was awesome. It's the first time I have laughed at forum posts since the update. Why did they have to get cubed?
    Formerly Katie_Seaglen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytis View Post
    The replies after mine were so funny, and no worse than mine. Except I suppose the OP getting a wee bit upset -but that's what made it funny. I loved Rest's phrasing too ("So I heard you were leaving..."), that was awesome. It's the first time I have laughed at forum posts since the update. Why did they have to get cubed?

Hahaha, they did get cubed didn't they? I liked the one where he let you know he wasn't leaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Svartelric View Post
    It's pretty funny that some people are insinuating that Turbine "destroyed" the forums because they wanted to discourage people from posting. Because reading the forums these days mostly feels like a butthurt fest, imo.
    Threads about breaks from the game, quitting the game, game down the drain, game degrading, game too easy, blah blah.
    It's all (well, most of it) become about how much Turbine sucks, or how better other games are, or how the game is not being played by anyone, etc.
    Here's the thing, you can't sugar coat the hot mess they've created the last couple weeks. Even the "apologists" and "fanbois" recognize this as a big steaming mess.

I am all about giving Turbine a fair shake, and recognizing that evey MMO starts with and continues to have problems. I think I am a reasonable person. I can point to stances I've taken and say: that is realistic or reasonable. I can point to any and every PC based MMO ever made and say that the ones I've played have been predominantly just as buggy and in some cases worse than DDO... hell I play every night (when the shoddy LFM grouping system lets me) and don't experience more than the occasional minor annoyance, like a potion not working or the ladder bug. I enjoy the game... However when I see something bad I'm going to call it. And the past couple weeks has been some concentrated extra thick "careful where you step" mess.

Hot mess is hot.

This has gone so far that I'm starting to think that a good 3/4 of those who post on the forums are here only to complain
    This is very observant... it's actually true of all forums. Unhappy is a much stronger motivator to post an opinion than happy is. When I join a games forum for the first time I expect the first page to be 60 to 75% complaints. Because; for longer than there was such a thing as "web forums" this has been true. Bulletin boards for Doom, Usenet groups for Quake... you name it. You know what the first major commerical MMORPG's "opinions" read like?

Ultima Online via comp.sys.ibm-pc.games.rpg "this game sucks" "I can't log in" "the devs are idiots" "they're catering to PvP" "they're not catering to PvP enough". Seriously I bet there are still archives of that usenet group during UO's first couple years full of hand wringing and drama and proclamations of "I'm quitting"... In short everything you see here, and really... everything you see on every major title's forum. Diablo 3, Starcraft, WoW, Bioshock, SWTOR, etc. etc.

It's important to realize that SOME of the complaining around here is 100% merited... and some of it is just the result of players who aren't getting what they want, and never will get what they want because it's unrealistic to expect a game to be exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by popejubal View Post
    I firmly believe that Turbine has good intentions. I think that they wanted this forum change to be a good thing. Their implementation was terrible. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to let Turbine know that their implementation of this (and several other things recently as well) was terrible and that we'd like them to fix the problems. That's quite a bit different from the wailing and gnashing of teeth that I see you complaining about.
    The post above sums up things rather neatly. The OP, if anything, just made a post that further stirred the pot. Which if he's quitting the forums - wasn't required at all.

Cant' slam people for posting they're taking a break, leaving the game, etc - then turn around and do virtually the same thing yourself. Kind of removes taking anything said with any degree of believability.

As was said elsewhere, these forums and their contents are really no different to most others. If there is something to complain about, people will complain. And that is needed. Can't change anything without feedback.

The reason people continuously post complaints on the same thing is lack of dev response. If they think they're being overlooked/ignored, they'll keep at it.

While a few posters go over-the-top with multiple threads, etc - they at least are highlighting a problem with either the forums or the games. The original post here is just stirring ill-will between players.

If you object to their behavior - don't copy it.
    Add Shifters to playable races and I'll stop complaining. Probably.

I firmly believe that Turbine has good intentions.
    Indeed, enough to pave a road with. Unfortunately, without proper testing, foresight or a connection with your player(customer) base, you can't see where the road is going...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

You know what?
    That's what chicken butt
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Community Member

I think Turbine has good intentions and they also make mistakes. There has been a recent increase in negativism/pessimism on the forums, but much of it seems reasonable to me. The doom threads are a bit over the top at times, but some of the specific concerns and/or complaints seem reasonable.

Turbine should try to understand the concerns as best they can. For every person that complains there are likely several others that are just as unhappy, but they will say nothing and just leave the game.

One common trait I've noticed in highly successful people is that they have extremely thick skin. They don't bury their head under the sand when things get tough, they try to understand and respond. Turbine should do the same although obviously there isn't much they can do when their goals and the customer goals don't line up.

They switched to a format that is still PC usable but also tablet and cell phone friendly. The simplistic format was to prevent issues with the tablets and phones.

The forum bats (those who hang out in the ceiling to swoop down on anything they can troll) dont like the change. Boo hoo.

Welcome to the DDO Forums. It's like the show *Who's Line is it Anyway*. The facts are made up and what you post doesnt matter.

Except in "whose line is it anyway" I dont have to log in every 5 minutes to keep watching.

And yay for cell phones and tablets. Now the "bats" have 'round the clock mobile access.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    I have a great idea. Lets take 2/3 of the screen real estate, and completely not use it, only allowing 1/3 of the space to be used for posting. Then we'll put that 1/3 of the area we will use hey diddle diddle, right up the middle. Being logged out every 5 min also rules, as it cuts down on all those wall of text rants I would need polarized glasses to read without going snowblind.
    Logout issue annoying hopefully will be fixed soon...forums size issue....hold down ctrl and spin your middle whell (or use the zoom funtion under tools of your web browser) problem solved

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFailedlegend View Post
    hold down ctrl and spin your middle whell (or use the zoom funtion under tools of your web browser) problem solved
    You do understand that doesn't come close to accomplishing the same thing don't you?

It makes things BIGGER and uses the whole screen but actually shows you LESS information than before you played zoom zoom.

On the other hand, using the full real estate in the unzoomed font INCREASES what you see on screen.
    Addicted to DDO since 2006
    Officer of Chaos Knights and primary cause of -10%XP in guild runs

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post
    They switched to a format that is still PC usable but also tablet and cell phone friendly. The simplistic format was to prevent issues with the tablets and phones.

The forum bats (those who hang out in the ceiling to swoop down on anything they can troll) dont like the change. Boo hoo.

Welcome to the DDO Forums. It's like the show *Who's Line is it Anyway*. The facts are made up and what you post doesnt matter.
    You're an idiot.

Any half-decent web developer can make a website display a mobile version of a website when being viewed on a mobile browser in about five minutes without ****ing up the main website. Your 'reasoning' makes as little sense as the rest of your post.

Also, the forums still look like a turd on my iPad so it doesn't even fix that.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Congratulatons - you've just become a forum troll yourself.
    Add Shifters to playable races and I'll stop complaining. Probably.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Rofl, nowadays tablets and phones have browsers like the ones PC uses, and no problem browsing full fledged forums. ( I've read the forums from a mobile phone when my laptop was broken in vacation last summer... )
    So there's no point in wasting time to cater for 5% of the forum browser... which are already 5% of the players... ( I let you do the math, it's hard )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

I firmly believe that Turbine has good intentions....
    Indeed, but then there's that whole extra chromosome issue...

Community Member

Default the hammer effect

if you continuously hit someone in the head with a hammer they will eventually start complaining of a headache and perhaps not be fond of you anymore...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast