2016 DDO Players Council

Default Torc -> Epic Torc. How much work?

Greetings

I have the Torc on a char and am pondering working on getting it epicfied. How much work am I looking at in terms of farming to make that happen?

Community Member

Probably too much to justify a small SR penetration boost to your discoball, FoD, and Otto's Irresistible (assuming you're arcane) and a colorless slot The extra SPs are kinda immaterial since the point of Torc is to refill your SP, isnt it?

2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by droid_327 View Post
    Probably too much to justify a small SR penetration boost to your discoball, FoD, and Otto's Irresistible (assuming you're arcane) and a colorless slot The extra SPs are kinda immaterial since the point of Torc is to refill your SP, isnt it?
    I am actually a FvS and I have mana as well as Spell Pen covered elsewhere so the upgrade is only for the colorless slot (and to have a goal to aim for).

When you say "too much" could you give a ball park figure? I know its depending on luck but I am still curious if we are talking 10s, 100s or 1000s of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    I am actually a FvS and I have mana as well as Spell Pen covered elsewhere so the upgrade is only for the colorless slot (and to have a goal to aim for).

When you say "too much" could you give a ball park figure? I know its depending on luck but I am still curious if we are talking 10s, 100s or 1000s of hours.
    Why the heck would you make the best TRing piece of caster gear epic and thus make it not usable it for TRing?

the days of the torc being useful are pretty much done, imho. first of all, it is melee dmg only now apparently that makes the torc go off. secondly, the hits that a player takes nowadays are far stronger than what they used to be. getting hit for 100 pts of dmg at a time, most casters would rather work on not getting hit, as opposed to getting hit to have the torc go off, but how many hits can you really take before you die.

as to how many hours it would take to make it epic, well, the sands has an absurd number of named items attached to it. I think you're looking at hundreds of hours to epic it.

2016 DDO Players Council

Thank you for the replies. I reckon I will just leave it as it is and focus my time on something else.

Thank you for the replies. I reckon I will just leave it as it is and focus my time on something else.
    Good choice, keep the Torc as it is so you can benefit the most out of it at lower levels, where the SP regen is actually useful. The grind for the seal and shard is insane, although I did personally manage to get all those parts before seeing the base item. The thing is, in any of the more difficult content such as recent EE's, you don't have to worry about SP at all, just exit the quest and hit the shrine or tavern as often as you need to.

Community Member

I'll add, after farming 2 torcs on my main caster (one epic, one not - this was way before u14, though, so epic torc actually brought something to the table), I don't even bother epicing my other torcs on other characters (though I have the parts)...or, in all honesty, even farming for a torc. Outside of my paladin (where a torc is nice), I generally use necklace slot for better things (and before people say "free SP makes it worthwhile!", keep in mind my primary focus is EE content).

For a TR, though, a non-epic torc is godlike in power.
    The real Wruntjunior.
    My Channel: link
    My EE Solos: link

Quote Originally Posted by dravael View Post
    I'll add, after farming 2 torcs on my main caster (one epic, one not - this was way before u14, though, so epic torc actually brought something to the table), I don't even bother epicing my other torcs on other characters (though I have the parts)...or, in all honesty, even farming for a torc. Outside of my paladin (where a torc is nice), I generally use necklace slot for better things (and before people say "free SP makes it worthwhile!", keep in mind my primary focus is EE content).

For a TR, though, a non-epic torc is godlike in power.
    My primary focus is EE content too. And torc is still great there... lol.....

Albeit, you're right; it depends on the class.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dyna-The-Cat View Post
    My primary focus is EE content too. And torc is still great there... lol.....

Albeit, you're right; it depends on the class.
    It's not that the torc is BAD in EE, it's that its effectiveness drops enough to fail to justify keeping it equipped over better necklace options (including +25% fort item, which has probably saved me more SP on my sorc per EE with rogue enemies than a torc). Especially as necklace is my favorite slot for +25% fort, I'd have to be on a class that either (1) can afford Brace for Impact constantly being twisted (like my paladin), or that can hit 150% fort without either (like a palemaster).

The again, in some situations (such as EE DA), where regular (but not high) physical damage is unavoidable...torc can be a godsend for some portions.

Still, either way...I wouldn't bother upgrading it to epic.
    The real Wruntjunior.

one of the nice things about desert epic items is that all you need is any 3 Desert Scrolls and you can get the one you want. So getting the right scroll is not the hard part.

Of all of the Desert quests I've only seen Shards fall in the following: (Again my personal experience YMMV)
    Wiz King
    Chains of Flames
    DQ1 < Pre-Raid
    DQ2 < Raid

I've seen seals drop out of all of them. However, because of the shear amount of Desert items that made the epic list the chances are very small in getting the Seal or Shard that you want. I would be prepared to run multiple characters threw the content (so you don't get bored and to enable group flexibility) and a minimum of 1 months worth of "Farming" for a seal/shard.

one of the nice things about desert epic items is that all you need is any 3 Desert Scrolls and you can get the one you want. So getting the right scroll is not the hard part.

Of all of the Desert quests I've only seen Shards fall in the following: (Again my personal experience YMMV)
    Wiz King
    Chains of Flames
    DQ1 < Pre-Raid
    DQ2 < Raid

I've seen seals drop out of all of them. However, because of the shear amount of Desert items that made the epic list the chances are very small in getting the Seal or Shard that you want. I would be prepared to run multiple characters threw the content (so you don't get bored and to enable group flexibility) and a minimum of 1 months worth of "Farming" for a seal/shard.

Quote Originally Posted by dravael View Post
    It's not that the torc is BAD in EE, it's that its effectiveness drops enough to fail to justify keeping it equipped over better necklace options (including +25% fort item, which has probably saved me more SP on my sorc per EE with rogue enemies than a torc). Especially as necklace is my favorite slot for +25% fort, I'd have to be on a class that either (1) can afford Brace for Impact constantly being twisted (like my paladin), or that can hit 150% fort without either (like a palemaster).

The again, in some situations (such as EE DA), where regular (but not high) physical damage is unavoidable...torc can be a godsend for some portions.

Still, either way...I wouldn't bother upgrading it to epic.
    I can't relate to an exp fort item because I'm a pm and lich gets 100% form fort on top of 100% fort item for 200% fort... Lol...

But ya, depends on class and such. Some classes can put that neck slot to better use.

The colorless slot is nice, but un-necessary.... Then again. Additional slots might as well be something to shoot for.
    Last edited by Dyna-The-Cat; 05-06-2013 at 04:37 PM.

So, here's a rather interesting question now that we're talking about Epic Torc:

"What would make it worth getting the epic version?"

I guess i'll list some ideas here:

• Add Epic Enhancement: Endless Faith III to it.
    • Double the chance for it to proc Transform Kinetic Energy.
    • Give it another unique power, such as Spell Reflection (Any damage spells targeted at the player hit the caster instead, 5 charges, recharge 1/rest).

Of course, these ideas aren't together, they're completely separate suggestions.

I have the shard and the scroll and the torc but I have been farming the seal for months.

I have like 10 seals of bows but no torc,so it might take you a while.

I dont use implosion on my divine and the epic version would be cool for my destruction ,slay living.

I want to use white robe with ghost walking cloak instead of blue or tablecloth that i used before.

I have conc opp belt so the belt with greater penetration wont work.

It is worth it imho to have it, not sure if it is worth it farming for it.

I use displacement clickies for ee quests but at raids i leave torc on.

Community Member

Greetings

I have the Torc on a char and am pondering working on getting it epicfied. How much work am I looking at in terms of farming to make that happen?
    The non-epic Torc is definitely better, just due to the lower ML. That said, by the time you have the parts to epic a Torc, you probably have a 2nd Torc (and a third...).

I would not spend a lot of time trying to Epic the Torc just for the slot. If you happen to get the parts while farming parts for other characters, and have another Torc to use while TRing, hey, why not.

Community Member

I have the shard and the scroll and the torc but I have been farming the seal for months.
    The seal is easy to get. Try Wiz King.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MsE View Post
    The seal is easy to get. Try Wiz King.
    Don't forget the old DQ1 farm...I honestly wouldn't bother, though, unless you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE the slot.
    The real Wruntjunior.

If you are melee or semi melee FvS, then it's worth having. I agree with the post that said making it epic excludes it being a great TR item. The only reason to epic the item would be if you dont plan on a TR for that toon.