Community Member

Default Is it still as bad as it was?

Ok, the title is misleading. I never thought the GAME was bad, but lets say...im a little bit of a slow, lazy player, and back then when i played this game (back then when level 14 was max i think) everyone was RUSHING through the dungeons like crazy. Noone ever stopped for anyone, and when you couldnt keep up, well, too bad for you.

Now, as i said, i really liked that game, but since leveling up solo is virtually impossible (or WAS impossible) and i just couldnt be bothered to 'escape' through the dungeons, i stopped playing.

So...is it still like that? Or is there actually a few people out there who actually like to PLAY the game?

So..my question is: Is it worth to give it a try when you like it slow, or is it the same it was?

Solo play is largely based upon your class/build. Druid, Paladin, Artificer, Favored Soul and I'd imagine Cleric are all good choices for solo play. Get a heal bot hireling and just be careful.

Get in a guild that fits your play style and is helpful. DDO is not like GW2 where you can solo yourself through the entire game, dungeons/fractals aside, eventually you need other players, and PUG's aren't the way to experience the game like you want to usually. That said you can always put in your LFM that you do not want to zerg through the quest, and while it may take longer to fill up I always found the group dynamics to be much better.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lanatir View Post
    Ok, the title is misleading. I never thought the GAME was bad, but lets say...im a little bit of a slow, lazy player, and back then when i played this game (back then when level 14 was max i think) everyone was RUSHING through the dungeons like crazy. Noone ever stopped for anyone, and when you couldnt keep up, well, too bad for you.

Now, as i said, i really liked that game, but since leveling up solo is virtually impossible (or WAS impossible) and i just couldnt be bothered to 'escape' through the dungeons, i stopped playing.

So...is it still like that? Or is there actually a few people out there who actually like to PLAY the game?

So..my question is: Is it worth to give it a try when you like it slow, or is it the same it was?
    I only occasionally get groups like you mention that try to rush through everything, but even a year ago I felt that was the exception and not the rule. Sure you'll run across zerg groups, but you can get a good idea of what a group is going to be like from the description.

If a group sets difficulty the difficulty to "hard", they're more likely a zerg group than other difficulties (it strikes a balance between max possible speed and exp rewarded) Normal difficulty groups are more casual and slow-paced players, and Elite groups will usually be playing a little more cautious and taking on one group of enemies at a time. I prefer Elite difficulty myself.

If the group description says "know quest" it means they're probably a zerg-like group, since they don't want to spend time explaining things to others.

If the group description says BYOH, they're a more serious group and less likely to stop and smell the roses (however, regardless of group description, always Bring Your Own Heals. Its the polite thing to do and you can't always rely on the healer being able to throw you heals.)

That being said, soloing is definately viable, I do it all the time. There aren't that many quests that absolutely require multiple party members (Necropolis). With certain classes you'll want to grab a cleric or favored soul hirling from the vendors in the south-east corner of the Marketplace, they're incredibly cheap, vendoring a piece of random dropped loot is often enough to buy one. With one of those, my characters can even solo most elite quests, only having trouble when there's tons of traps. In those cases, if I want to solo, I'll do it on hard.

Community Member

Like others have said, soloing is entirely possible gameplay wise. Hirelings will solve your healing problems for the most part (you just have to learn to keep them alive, of course, and deal with them sometimes when their AI spazzes out). Classes that can self-heal are even more viable for solo, naturally, while highly specialized or group-oriented builds (ie buffers or healbots with no DPS) are less so.

The biggest problem with soloing is going to be the lack of F2P content at mid and high levels. If you're willing to pay for VIP, then of course you're fine, but otherwise you're probably going to have to either A) grind out a bunch of free TP from your per-server rewards, or B) shell out an Andrew Jackson or two for some mid- and high-level content. Obviously, expansions can't be bought with TP, either.

Community Member

Ok, i decided to give it a try. I started on the Khyber server. If there is any friendly and patient person(s) or guilds who would want to give me a hand with my heal cleric, would be greatly appreciated. But, as mentioned, i am a TOTAL noob, even tho i used to play ages ago.
    (VIP account and MotUD are there)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanatir View Post
    Ok, i decided to give it a try. I started on the Khyber server. If there is any friendly and patient person(s) or guilds who would want to give me a hand with my heal cleric, would be greatly appreciated. But, as mentioned, i am a TOTAL noob, even tho i used to play ages ago.
    (VIP account and MotUD are there)
    Emphasis mine... Kind of an oxymoron there (only half joking, the server is famous for it's drama, but there are some low stress small guild there too).
    Remember that you can solo even epic quest on a pure healbot cleric nowadays: the epic melee hirelings are quite good. Most will solo EN quest for you if you keep them healed. A few will solo EH for you.
    Pirotesse (battle-trap), Clausius (old style paly), Cadhu (swat fighter), Abysinthe (cleric), Sephiria (sorc), Dragunova (archer), Mauhin (wiz), Muhrahin(wf juggernauth), Azred(tempest), Birebash(sniper cleric), Bashibouzouk (barb), Salud(battle bard), Sniperovitch (repeater), Iraelle(battle cleric)

All I do is solo ...it's very viable. I am running a second life human 2 rogue / 10 sorc and holding a 97 BB streak. I am curently running Sands and in the process of flagging for ADQ. I will be hitting lordsmarch chain after this, and Gianthold shortly afterwards....then Vale, Amrath and MOTU content to 25. I don't have any raid gear, all crafted or lootgen / nammed items from quests.

I solo'ed my first life to 20 on a Human rogue 1 / Sorc 19, then TR'ed into my current adjusted build that will end up being 2 rogue / 18 sorc.

Hirelings makes the difference for me, i pickup 4-5 cleric / FvS contracts and quest away until the contracts all run out, by then I am 1 - 2 levels higher then pickup 4-5 more contracts of the next levels of Cleric / FvS contracts for the next pack(s) I am running.

I play on Sarlona unfortunately....otheriwse I would have been glad to duo with you and do some flower sniffing...that's my prefered playstyle because I can't type and play at the same time....one of the main reasons I don't group is because people have no paitence for someone like me who cannot respond quickly because of slow typing and unable to multi-task while in the thick of combat.

Community Member

Well, since i am really fairly new i am not THAT stuck with the server Khyber, its just the one i started on cause i liked the name. What would be a better choice for the complete noob i am?

Default The journey of the new...

I've been on every server and never noticed any major difference between them; except Wayfinder; its just empty. I've always been intimidated by the 'zerg', 'farming', 'byoh' LFM's but I always found grouping more fun. If you don't like that approach, don't join them. But keep joining any group that looks even remotely acceptable. Be upfront about not wanting to rush through or unfamiliar with the quest and you'll either be accepted for what you are, or dismissed. Either way is fine. Eventually, you'll meet people with similar playstyle, and if invited to a guild, just ask if the guild is either committed to your type of play or at least has a subset that does.
    Try every server; at the very least you'll want to run a character to 100 favor on each one for the TP.
    Only a few % of the pugs I've been in were a bad experience. Most were ok, worth the favor and xp but not exactly what you're looking for. When you starting meeting people that make the quest a blast, that's who who want to run with.
    The other way is check the Static Groups; if you can be available on a regular basis, those groups are usually looking for a very particular style, and if it matches what you're looking for, its a great way to quest.
    No Char left behind; original join date, Oct 2010

Community Member

Casual and Normal difficulties are easy to solo and learn the quests, as a Cleric, (although there many cleric variants), the usual is to go with a caster based Cleric that use wisdom for your offensive spells ( Blade Barrier, cometfal, command, deastruction, slay living, implosion, etc, are some of the most useful offensive spells) and you can use hires ( a fighter or a sorcerer) if need more damage output for soloing the quests (also you can get a good two hander weapon for low levels soloing while you get Blade barrier for damage output), on parties, you can heal the group and cast some offesive spells when viable

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marthesis_ View Post
    Elite groups will usually be playing a little more cautious and taking on one group of enemies at a time.
    maybe for epic elite (and even then not always), but for heroic elite (99% of the quests) a good TR group can zerg the **** out of them.

That said, you can easily find groups that aren't going to zerg. If you make it known that is your preference I am sure most people would respect that choice.

EDIT: I should say I do not expect new players to easily go through elite quests, as they are still challenging before experience+gear+ship buffs happen to you lol....just for more experienced players elite is not "slow flower sniffage" as a rule. For new players elite will be tough however.
    Last edited by Primordial_Soup; 05-08-2013 at 09:15 PM.