Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Surely this isn't the case with every quest?
    No. If the quest hasn't started yet, you can at least expect people to guide you to the quest entrance (even if its something as flimsy as seeing their dot on the map), and you don't have a problem of getting lost most of the time because you can just follow the group inside the quest.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Default Hi Frien!

"Myhealer"

I recommend your heals to everyone.

You and 2 others are who I hope to find online when I post my LFM's to keep my squishy feat starved fighter with a paladin icon alive. Alas, I have not seen the other two log on, nor their alts in over a year now. /sadface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Community Member

Well, I don't think I could be considered "new" by any stretch...
    But I still remember those first days two years ago, so if you care, this would be my answers, after about 2 months of playing:

Do you start your own lfms? Why/why not?
    Only very rarely.
    Why not: well, the star comes with join requests panel, and also implies leadership. While the actual leadership is optional (and indeed, ending up with a star, I'd often open up with "So, anyone got an idea what to do next?"), the join requests are built in - and are yet another thing to manage. And I sure remember not needing another thing to juggle between not tripping over my feet, not getting lost, targeting and attacking, choosing correct weapons, picking up items, managing inventory and getting a general idea of what's going on so I can do it better the next time.
    I'd rather join another party and have someone else take care of the star.

What sort of lfms do you look to join or avoid & why?
    I used to avoid (Still do, actually, even if for somewhat different reasons):
    LFMs where there is no quest selected. I was premium with very few packs and no knowledge of what's where - without the quest selected I couldn't tell if I had the pack, even if quest name was in the description.

LFMs where the text description, selected quest and locations of party members are in significant mismatch - that means some of the info was not updated so I'd have no idea what I'm subscribing to. Also I couldn't tell whether I had the pack or no.

"know it" - back then I honestly couldn't say "I know Durk's secret.". Still won't join these. Even after two dozens of runs through a quest I can't truly say I know all ins and outs, all tricks, tactics and exploits. Yeah, I'm bordering on solipsism here, but there's hardly a quest I'd say I know completely.

"vets/TRs only" - it simply didn't apply to me back then. Some of it could apply now, but I still won't join these on principle - I don't want anyone measuring if I'm tall enough to board the ride, regardless of what the results would be. This now includes "byoh" and "zerg", but back in those first months I hadn't yet encountered these terms.

LFMs with class restrictions that in my opinion shouldn't be there - even as a newb I dared to have a strong opinion on leaders who actively disallow more than one member of a class from joining. That opinion was and remains: "squelch 'em".

Do you consider entering a quest you've never done before daunting? Or is it exciting?

Exciting, definitely.
    I couldn't understand the times we'd get about half ways through a quest, wipe/near wipe due to some oversight or simple accident of a couple bad save rolls, and then 3-5 people would recall and drop group (especially when me and the remaining people were usually able to regroup and complete).
    As they say ignorance is a bliss. Not knowing a thing about XP mechanics, first time bonuses, death/repeat/reentry penalties, needed XP and so on, I didn't care much about getting disintegrated by a beholder, having to recall and run back before the instance timed out, thrice, as long as I eventually emerged victorious.

Do you find it preferable to be taught how to do a quest, or to figure it out on your own; & why?
    A mixture of both I guess...
    Figuring stuff out is cool, but sometimes it takes long, or you get stuck, or there's some obscure trick that's hard to figure out, then it's nice to have someone more experienced step in.

Someone to provide tips like which element resists are called for or what kind of weapons work the best in a given quest is very appreciated almost every time, random trivia and secret tactics are also cool.
    But it's rare to find that in one package, and in moderation too. It takes exceptional person to be a good teacher while you're understandably in hurry to farm XP/loot for yourself. I met a handful, and they sure left a lasting impression, but as mentioned, it's rare.

The more frequent scenario is the runs where 2-3 people had been in the quest before, or maybe browsed the wiki or somesuch and each has a general idea - thus each would provide some of the starting tips, some of the trivia and tactics, a piece or two of useful gear, and we'd have to work together to figure it all out. Those are very good runs.

The runs where no one knows anything and we have to figure it out from scratch can often be a bit too tedious - too much backtracking, no one has necessary gear, or it turns out that you need a rogue by the end... or worse yet, we somehow managed to lock ourselves out (or just lock someone out of a major fight) or we didn't know about some important detail, like for example the respawning wildmen in Storm the Beaches.
    Usually it turns out ok, just... tedious.

Community Member

Quite frankly I am so green you could plant me, but since you said please
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.png

I have played DnD computer games going back to the Gold Box series I thought I would give online a try. I huge world of difference, and the old PC games just don't qualify as experience.

Some questions for anyone who would consider yourself a new or inexperienced/still learning player:

I have. I wanted to try playing with a group and I could not find for the Quests I had available. So I started my own. The experience was not the best. As a result I'm not looking forward to starting another one. "Once bitten" kind of thing. To be fair the problem may have been my expectations. Also being new, I may not have placed my LFM properly. Whatever the reason the quest was run through so quickly I know nothing about what happened. I am sure I left stuff in chests because I didn't even know they were opened. In short, I was looking to role-play and the people who joined ran through it like it was an FPS.

I tried joining 2 LFMs. 2 different experiences. The first one was a complete pleasure. I joined another player, I explained I was new when I joined. Whoever this player was, was great. He (or she) took the time to show me a few things, we chatted numerous times through the quests (we played through 3), in short I actually felt like I was party of a team. The second one I joined, not so good. I had a hard time finding the group, no one responded to my chats, the quest was over before I got there.

Short answer, until I am more comfortable with the system, I would probably join LFMs that have or two people in them and respond to me if I chat. I realize that some people may not want to play with new players, so I would tell them I am new, but I no one responds, no point in me continuing with that group.

Do you consider entering a quest you've never done before daunting? Or is it exciting?
    I love new quests. I would rather play quests I have never done, than rehash quests I have already gone through. I can't imagine I would enjoy repeating quests, unless I failed the first time, used a different character, etc.

Do you find it preferable to be taught how to do a quest, or to figure it out on your own; & why?
    Personal preference, I prefer the opportunity to try and figure it out on my own. Or discussing it with others that haven't done the quest yet, a party should collaborate. But I don't mind being taught if I am holding things up too long, or about to make a mistake that will get everyone killed.

I often see (and admittedly take part in) debates on these very issues, where we "veterans" tend to make many assumptions on your behalf regarding what you do or do not like/want/need in an lfm. We point fingers and occasionally call eachother names all for the purpose of defining what would be best for you to take part in or avoid.

So I thought I'ld try asking all y'all directly.
    While I wish I could promise no one will come here and say something callous or derogatory in response to anything you have to say on the matter, the simple truth is I can't. However, I can be fairly certain that should someone do so, you'll likely get the satisfaction of seeing someone else tell 'em where to stick the unneeded/unhelpful commentary

So please, sound off and tell us "vets" what you new folk actually are: looking for, thinking about and wanting to find when it comes to lfms in general & new (to you) quests in particular.

Thanx in advance
    Final thought - Being so new ( I just got my first and only character out of Korthos) I don't know what to tell the "vets" I am looking for, because I really don't know yet. I am trying to learn the mechanics, the etiquette, the things I have no idea about, etc. while still having fun. Being new there are times I simply have to stop just to figure out what something means or how to do something. Add to all that different players will have different styles. I would prefer a more casual role playing experience, but I get that some people may want what I call the "hack and slash" style. Maybe I need to join a guild to find what I am looking for, but which one? And what do they do they do? I'm simply to new to know. But maybe learning that should be part of the gaming experience. I ma trying to read the forums on things I need to figure out, but I guess there was a change to the forums because links just give me bad gateways.

I hope I can figure out a way to enjoy the group thing, or find a group I am happy with. Quite frankly, if I am just going to solo the whole time, I may as well go back to the elder scrolls.

If the OP is like me, when we were Newbs so was the entire Server or at least most of it and running into a knowledgeable person was like rare hehehe...

Ok things I know I like and all this is based off "New Content", I like to Do everything the first time, optional objectives and regular ones (you know the ones where only one person is really needed to do it kind of thing). Personally I don't mind spending a long time in a quest looking for secretes and just generally enjoying the quest. I'm one of those that went into Rusted Blades and actually looked for "All" of the weapon racks, pulling my panther out to pull the lever for me so I could get in.

As a vet that does join pugs, I try to determine how the party wants to run the quest and basically relive the enjoyment of the first time. Some don't want to run it slower then what they think it should be run, and that is fine, but they should really join a different group and let others get a chance to learn the quest. As a rule I only step in when the group is about to do something that would prevent them from completing a quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Conn View Post

Final thought - Being so new ( I just got my first and only character out of Korthos) I don't know what to tell the "vets" I am looking for, because I really don't know yet. I am trying to learn the mechanics, the etiquette, the things I have no idea about, etc. while still having fun. Being new there are times I simply have to stop just to figure out what something means or how to do something. Add to all that different players will have different styles. I would prefer a more casual role playing experience, but I get that some people may want what I call the "hack and slash" style. Maybe I need to join a guild to find what I am looking for, but which one? And what do they do they do? I'm simply to new to know. But maybe learning that should be part of the gaming experience. I ma trying to read the forums on things I need to figure out, but I guess there was a change to the forums because links just give me bad gateways.
    Just take the words of Dr. River Song "Spoilers". Just ask for no spoilers, let them know this is your first time.

Community Member

Some questions for anyone who would consider yourself a new or inexperienced/still learning player:

Do you start your own lfms? Why/why not? generally solo, don't start LFMs as I've no high level chars yet (except 1 stoned) and prefer to solo in MMOs anyway. If I do group, it's within guild (family & friends only). I know that's a bit anti-social, but I've never really bought in to the "MMOs are about meeting people" thing anyway, MMOs are about having fun and that's 10x easier imo if you solo/group with people you know irl!

Do you consider entering a quest you've never done before daunting? Or is it exciting? exciting, as I don't know what to expect. That's another reason I solo though, it doesn't matter if I screw up, even to the point of wiping.

Do you find it preferable to be taught how to do a quest, or to figure it out on your own; & why? That's a tough one. I kinda like to learn it on my own, and learn from my (many) mistakes, but don't mind being lead through a quest I'm not familiar with. My nephew is a bit of a demon for racing through content, and I've grouped with him on quests I've never done. That said, I'm an all options player (all optionals, max conquest and break barrels/crates), he's a zerger, so grouping together is like pulling teeth for both of us!

I often see (and admittedly take part in) debates on these very issues, where we "veterans" tend to make many assumptions on your behalf regarding what you do or do not like/want/need in an lfm. We point fingers and occasionally call eachother names all for the purpose of defining what would be best for you to take part in or avoid.

While I wish I could promise no one will come here and say something callous or derogatory in response to anything you have to say on the matter, the simple truth is I can't. However, I can be fairly certain that should someone do so, you'll likely get the satisfaction of seeing someone else tell 'em where to stick the unneeded/unhelpful commentary

So please, sound off and tell us "vets" what you new folk actually are: looking for, thinking about and wanting to find when it comes to lfms in general & new (to you) quests in particular.

Thanx in advance
    Replies in bold ([color=blue] didn't work

I really appreciate all the feed back that is and isn't coming in! Lots of people referencing there early adventuring carreers, and a few genuine new commers! And next to no trolls!

I've found the responses thus far quite enlightening, though in some cases a little disappointing - those being a few reports of very negative grouping experiences in some folks first few attempts. Don't let 'em deter ya; pugging is like trying new foods: most are pretty good, and only a few leave a bad taste in your mouth

I find it interesting how many people seem to prefer soloing, early on I found it frustrating. Then again the rogue I referred to on page one was as good at solo combat as it was at Gwaylands' traps...

Keep the responses coming, and again I thank all of you who are participating and keeping everything so posative!
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 05-06-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

I've been on DDO for a while, but a combination of rampant altoholism and lack of twitch gaming skills means I don't have any characters over 16. (Also, a slow computer. But that just plays into the twitch gaming inability, I guess.)

Sometimes; mostly when I know I can't possibly, or can't practically, complete a quest alone or with a hire.

Alternatively, if I feel sufficiently confident in a set of quests to try for a BB streak.

LFMs that are likely to be competent, but not expect way too much out of me or rush things along. BYOH, IP, TR only, and so forth just don't encourage me.

Something of both; I really hate entering a quest for the first time in a party, but prefer to spend one or two tries first at my own speed to figure it out.

The biggest exception I've made to this was out of necessity; VoN5/6 obviously can't reasonably be soloed, so I went in as a healbot/buffbot with a couple of guildies and a half-baked PUG. We made it partway through 6 before wiping, due primarily to the other healers not quite keeping up, and many of the other party members unable or unwilling to stick to the plan. (I actually managed to keep my split alive the longest, which I'm proud of; when it was obvious the raid had failed, I recalled out, rather than dying. )

I wouldn't necessarily mind being taught, but the chance of getting someone who will remember what actually needs to be mentioned and will also keep a friendly tone seems somewhat low, around 1/3 (very roughly), so I try to figure things out on my own. Also, I do prefer to know things before making others rely on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    Nice post, and I commend you for the way you wrote it, but I'm afraid you're going to run into the same problem people always run into when asking these sorts of questions.

The people you are addressing do not visit the Forums.
    I'm here.
    I'm fairly new (my highest level toon is 13).
    On Orion I normally ask in general chat, moving from area to area (harbor/market/houses/etc...) for groups to help in quests that you can't do alone (or at least very easily) like Chronoscope, Xorian Cipher, Tempest Spine) and I am totally and utterly ignored.

Community Member

Default Thanks for this post

entered in bolb, hope that works
    Some questions for anyone who would consider yourself a new or inexperienced/still learning player:well been playing a year but one of those older slower learners so often consider myself as noob-like in heavy quests

Do you start your own lfms? Why/why not?Yes I do, although not often. Most often for slayers as I am less likely to be left behind or get lost.

What sort of lfms do you look to join or avoid & why? Will not join anything BYOH, or anything that seems exclusive. No Zergs, etc... Had a few bad experiences which have made me more than a bit shy of those 5% noob(old and slow player) haters

Do you consider entering a quest you've never done before daunting? Or is it exciting? Exciting, although I don't solo often (I did in the first few months) I am thinking I will take it back up again! finding the game is getting more convoluted in the last year and I have trouble keeping up, can not solo raids so I never feel prepared for those.

Do you find it preferable to be taught how to do a quest, or to figure it out on your own; & why? Probably a bit of both, now I have 2 lvl 20 toon and one lvl 17 I am finding it hard to get groups for packs I own

Thanx in advance

Community Member

Almost never. The rare events are when i am zerg farming, and i just put come & go as you please. I don't like leading people as i always imagine the person at the back of the computer could be one of those know-it-all's who'd end up trying to be the one who leads and bosses around. Different ppl might have different ways of doing things so if my way is different, someone might complain.

Groups with "Zerg" are ok. "BYOH" is ok i guess. "Have a clue" sounds pretty elitist to me so not the type of group i'd join.
    I usually do a few quests on my own before I feel ready to join an LFM. The reason is because i take grouping seriously. I want to give my best and therefore need to make sure i have already warmed up. I do not want to waste my group's time and want them to remember me nicely.

If it's solo, then exciting. A lot of pressure if its with a group of strangers.

Figure out on my own by my self. I need to go slow to learn. Even if i run with a group, i won't learn the quest right away because i will just be following. Also i noticed playing a healer type, its harder to learn a quest since the focus is mostly on your party members' healths

Community Member

With regards to avoiding stuck up players, i try to remember who they are so that i won't group with them again. You can say that while they are few, just having 1 of them out of 6 in a group can be a drag, especially for a new player because the new player will be his target. Part of my learning as a noob in DDO was learning who not to group with.

I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...

So I will reply your topics as a still learning player, as I can't be considered noob anymore (7 toons, 2 TRs, favor toons in every server, I guess I'm ok )

I start my own LFMs from time to time, if I realy need a certain quest and need people to help me out.

I avoid BYOH (unless I know party leader and hence the reason for that game strategy), and usually IP runs (again, unless I know the leader or if they have just stepped in and I'm near quest entrance).

I have done a few new quests to myself, while in a PUG. Not too bad, I only need to say to everybody "I'm new to this quest / never done it" and usually people get along and help me on the way. I avoid it if LFM states "know quest" or something like that.

I like to figure out on my own when I have the chance for it, but if I have a party to play with, if they don't mind teaching me, I do accept any tips from other players.

_____

As a learning player, I like PUGing. I've done entire quest chains with the same PUG, and still have fun with it. Luck? Be in the right place at the right time? I don't know, but usually PUGs work well for me.

As a not-so-new player, I like to start my own LFMs and teach what little I know about the quest I'm doing. In fact, I've been named party leader many times just after a finished quest (and sometimes even inside a quest) after others know myself as a player. I believe other newer players trust me in order to do that and let me guide them, wich is good and pays off the hard work as a team.

My toon names are in my sig. If you come across any of them, don't be afraid to ask me for tips or help on a quest. I may have one toon or two that I can use to help others, depending on what do they need.

Note: this thread could be in the new player section, couldn't it? When I'm new to a game, I always look in Newer Players section first
    Last edited by marciosilva; 05-07-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

No, I don't feel like wating around. I want to play NOW, I have limited play time and tend to log in / out sporadicaly depending on situations outside the game.

I don't look to join, again, I want to play not wait around.

Yes all the time, I have yet to run all quests at least once. Mixed feelings depending on what I read on ddowiki or looked up in Youtube.

Figuring out on my own because I don't feel like holding back others if I decide to group someday, I want to have the knowledge of the quest before attemtping it in a group...for obvious quest drama reasons.

Raids being the exception here, I would enjoy having 1 or more players to coach / mentor me if I could find a group of people with the necessary patience and understanding, prefereably a static raiding group, heck I would be all over that in a second...but I have yet to encounter 5 like minded people on my server that are not in my guild.
    see inline above.

Admirable post, and I took the time to give you my perspective on my way of playing as a recent new arrival to the game in the last 18 months. Honestly, if nobody runs stuff on Normal or Hard in the LFM pannel...how the hell are people new to the game supposed to learn when every LFM is ELITE?? But see vets don't want to play in boring mode, they want to play in uber fast excitting mode...because they ran the bloody quest a million times already and can do it with eyes closed and one hand tied behind their back.

If I only ran a quest once or twice on Hard / Normal at level and had a hard time with it, the last thing I am going to do is embarrass myself and try it with a group on Elite...I seriously don't want the backlash ...I come here to unwind and relax and enjoy a game, not deal with drama.

There will always be a disconnect between both camps of players...why? because of the gap in where they are at in the game...vets have the uber gear, they have the metagaming experience, but IMO lack the patience and understanding of what it is like to be new to something and feel intimidated by the quest mechanics and lack of meta gaming knowledge. They don't want to slow down to completing a 10 minute quest in an hour to teach someone the basics...the expectation is that we should be able to keep up and read their minds.

At least that is the impression I get reading the forums and LFM pannel. New players need and want the hand holding and to take the time to properly understand what the quest is about without being talk down to, humiliated and made to feel 2 inches tall by some elitist jerk and his e-peen attitude about how godlike he / she is just because they asked a legit question because they do not have the knowledge.

Honestly the only thing I am really interested in is running VON (which i just recently re-flagged for on my 2nf life - first TR'ed toon), Shroud, ToD and Reaver's raids...I don't want to group in quests when I can solo them just fine at level on Hard for my streak. I come back later to get the eilite favor.

Curently sitting at 97 completions for my streak on Hard - solo, almost level 13 (2 rogue / 10 sorc).

I only ever ran 1 raid, VoD with my guild. Everyone knew what they were doing, so I basically just followed and took screen shots....I did not really learn much in that run, too busy trying to keep up ... our guild leader invited me because he knew I never ran a raid before, and he walked me through the wilderness to the Raid entrance, it was a great experience to be in the group. And I will run more raids with my guild when the time difference syncs up for us (every player in the guild save me, in Canada, and another in the USA are in the same time zone, the rest are in Manila, Philippinnes). I joined this guild because it's the only Filipino guild on my server that I know of.

I play on Sarlona.

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    With regards to avoiding stuck up players, i try to remember who they are so that i won't group with them again. You can say that while they are few, just having 1 of them out of 6 in a group can be a drag, especially for a new player because the new player will be his target. Part of my learning as a noob in DDO was learning who not to group with.
    Are you Pinoy? Your forum name seems Pinoy...lol

Community Member

Thanx in advance
    Well, considering that i started 2 days ago, i assume i am what can be considered a noob (even tho i played this game a bit in the time before there were hirelings.

Doesnt get much noobier than me i would think.

Since i did remember that this game depends a lot on character build i spent my first day researching on various webpages and forums on what to play and how to build my character. Changed my mind about 342 times while i did it.

Now, to answer your questions: Do i start LFM? No. Not anymore. After some rather weird experiences with people popping up in my group that simply couldnt grasp the fact that there is still players with 28 point builds that werent on their 58th new life, i stopped LFM and started to spend points on hirelings. the gold ones.

Do i enter LFM? No. i dont understand the new LFM system where it says something about active or not active or expired, and i dont wanna jump into a quest that is already going on, i want the full monty.
    If i WOULD join a LFM it would probably be one where it says 'newbie friendly'. But since i havent seen that so far, didnt happen.

Entering a new quest is exciting, but i try to do some research in advance to see if it is even possible to do it solo or with hirelings.

I would LOVE to end up in a group where someone would take the time to explain the ropes to me and give me advice on how to play this particular quest or other Quests, as long as it doesnt sound like 'rofl, dood, you are still wearing the starter ****, you know ****, what a stupid noob you are, i am so much better than you!'

Yes. I do know i am a 28 point build. I do realise my build is probably far from being acceptable, or even good. Yes, i do know i am slow. And after you get tired of hearing it for the umptieth time...you simply stop grouping.

Community Member

I start my own lfms only if there are none up for me to join, I prefer to join than to start.

I join any lfm in my level range that isn't byoh, know it, be able to solo, or the like. The reason bring that I don't feel I can meet those requirements at this point. I've had great experiences joining and letting the group know I'm new to the quest.

Dauntingly exciting? It's stressful, but fun at the same time.

I like to be taught if someone actually knows the quest. I don't like to be"taught"by people who think they know a quest, but don't really. I'll often check the wiki before a new quest to get an idea of how to prepare for a quest.
    Last edited by Ammonihah; 05-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Any of your Newbs, Noobs, inexperienced players on G-Land, if you need someone for a PUG hit me up:

Antipan,
    Pandargon,
    Pandolin,
    Panifin,
    Pangrael,
    Panmorgan.

I'll run with ya if I'm not running with my regular peeps...uh..."yo."

Just please, don't fireball my webs. That's really all I ask.

Forum issue double post
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 05-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast