2015 DDO Players Council Shoemaker's Avatar

Lightbulb Incentive to achieve higher character levels.

As an incentive to take characters to a higher level, I propose setting a minimum level for running the 'Brothers of the Forge' quest on elite to 26. As an end reward, there could be a non-named (craftable no abs min level) BtAoA trinket with an augment slot on it. This item would be a random drop and available on every 3rd completion (or 20th as the devs see fit for game balancing). It could start as a ML26 with some random generated effects and an augment or two random generated effects in augment slots (which could be unslotted or whatnot). A possible effect would be Deconstructor (if you choose 20th completion as the given).
    Last edited by Tech13; 08-14-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: forgot to mention the trinket should be BtAoA
    DDOwiki.com sysop ---- ShoeMaker - talk - email
    Cannith - ShoeMaker - SwampBat - ShoeHealz - ShoeSoulz - BatSwamp - ShoeStatz -- Argonnessen - ShoeMaker - SwampBat

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

And why do we need an incentive to achieve higher levels? I see plenty of players going for 28. WE have nice gear, more feats, more hp, the ability to etr at 28, the ability to enter the fire and shadow dragon raids apparently, and plenty of other reasons to hit maximum. Why do you feel that there is an actual additional incentive needed?
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Incentive to invest in more character levels should be in the enhancements, feats and granted abilities. Incentive should not be in gear.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    Incentive to invest in more character levels should be in the enhancements, feats and granted abilities. Incentive should not be in gear.
    Why not? There is no real reason why gear can't be an incentive, and is clearly meant to be by the devs, or minimum levels wouldn't exist for it. Anything can be an incentive, and gear is a valid one. Especially in this game, when so many people on the forums have clearly expressed their interested in running quests is in the loot. The audience has made a very loud, very clear statement about that.

The one thing DDO does right is: Multiple play experience. You want feats, enhancements, and abilities, you get those with levels. Someone else wants gear, he gets those. People who want bragging rights get those. People who want to do the hardest quests in the game, can do those. EE Shadow and fire dragons for all! OR whatever a particular player finds hard. Players who play for the fun and experience of doing it (and this is where I fit in) get that too at all levels including the top.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    And why do we need an incentive to achieve higher levels? I see plenty of players going for 28. WE have nice gear, more feats, more hp, the ability to etr at 28, the ability to enter the fire and shadow dragon raids apparently, and plenty of other reasons to hit maximum. Why do you feel that there is an actual additional incentive needed?
    You have responded to the portion of his proposal which is about incentives. I agree, we do not need more. BUT there is the other part, which is a craftable trinket with a slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech13 View Post
    As an incentive to take characters to a higher level, I propose setting a minimum level for running the 'Brothers of the Forge' quest on elite to 26. As an end reward, there could be a non-named (craftable no abs min level) BtAoA trinket with an augment slot on it. This item would be a random drop and available on every 3rd completion (or 20th as the devs see fit for game balancing). It could start as a ML26 with some random generated effects and an augment or two random generated effects in augment slots (which could be unslotted or whatnot). A possible effect would be Deconstructor (if you choose 20th completion as the given).
    I like the idea of the craftable trinket with a slot. Why not? Great place to have it appear--Brothers of the Forge. I just finished an epic Blasting Chime in part for its two slots. I had a couple of craftable trinkets; one I dumped because they are really not so useful as compared to all the nice named trinkets out there.
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

Why not? Please enlighten me with your wisdom.

I was ninja'd by 2 people in less than a minute????

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    You have responded to the portion of his proposal which is about incentives. I agree, we do not need more. BUT there is the other part, which is a craftable trinket with a slot.

I like the idea of the craftable trinket with a slot. Why not? Great place to have it appear--Brothers of the Forge. I just finished an epic Blasting Chime in part for its two slots. I had a couple of craftable trinkets; one I dumped because they are really not so useful as compared to all the nice named trinkets out there.
    Then lobby for a drop item like that. No need to tie it into a certain level things. But I'm still curious about why the OP feels there is a need for an incentive in the first place.

Why not? There is no real reason why gear can't be an incentive, and is clearly meant to be by the devs, or minimum levels wouldn't exist for it. Anything can be an incentive, and gear is a valid one. Especially in this game, when so many people on the forums have clearly expressed their interested in running quests is in the loot. The audience has made a very loud, very clear statement about that.

The one thing DDO does right is: Multiple play experience. You want feats, enhancements, and abilities, you get those with levels. Someone else wants gear, he gets those. People who want bragging rights get those. People who want to do the hardest quests in the game, can do those. EE Shadow and fire dragons for all! OR whatever a particular player finds hard. Players who play for the fun and experience of doing it (and this is where I fit in) get that too at all levels including the top.
    What does gear have to do with incentive to invest in more character levels? Almost any multi class build can weild any weapon, wear any gear and achieve just as good, if not better character power. There threads up right now talking about incentive to invest in more character levels and none of them have to do with gear. The complaints have always been about the lack of character power the more you invest in from enhancements and granted abilities. Gear isn't what's going to make me not splash.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

What does gear have to do with incentive to invest in more character levels? Almost any multi class build can weild any weapon, wear any gear and achieve just as good, if not better character power. There threads up right now talking about incentive to invest in more character levels and none of them have to do with gear. The complaints have always been about the lack of character power the more you invest in from enhancements and granted abilities. Gear isn't what's going to make me not splash.
    Um...this idea has NOTHING to do with splashing or not splashing. Where on earth are you trying to go with your point? His entire point is to restrict a quest to a minimum total character level of 26 to encourage people to level up (in any build at this point).

Um...this idea has NOTHING to do with splashing or not splashing. Where on earth are you trying to go with your point? His entire point is to restrict a quest to a minimum total character level of 26 to encourage people to level up (in any build at this point).
    Whoops. Reading failure on my part. Feel free to point and laugh. Later!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Whoops. Reading failure on my part. Feel free to point and laugh. Later!
    Relieved. I was really wondering what I had missed with confusion mounting.

Community Member

I too am wondering why anyone would feel any disincentive to level up all the way....you lose out on Epic Feats, its necessary to TR, and unlike Heroic you're not locking yourself out of much content by going to cap.

Plus, why L26? You're suggesting people don't even level up that much?

Also, I disagree that ML on gear is an "incentive" to level up. ML is meant to restrict gear from being used for content where its overpowered. Granting BtA gear with no min level does not serve that purpose - so in essence the OP is only really asking for a way to twink his alts out a little harder.

2015 DDO Players Council Shoemaker's Avatar

... I'm still curious about why the OP feels there is a need for an incentive in the first place.
    I've noticed it can be harder to get groups together for running the higher level raids because there are just too many people hitting 20 and TRing. My hope is that by this incentive, more people will shoot for at least level 26 (high enough to run EE / level 30 raids). Having the ability to craft a ML1 FF trinket w/Master's gift for TRing after would be very nice indeed.
    DDOwiki.com sysop ---- ShoeMaker - talk - email
    Cannith - ShoeMaker - SwampBat - ShoeHealz - ShoeSoulz - BatSwamp - ShoeStatz -- Argonnessen - ShoeMaker - SwampBat

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Tech13 View Post
    I've noticed it can be harder to get groups together for running the higher level raids because there are just too many people hitting 20 and TRing. My hope is that by this incentive, more people will shoot for at least level 26 (high enough to run EE / level 30 raids). Having the ability to craft a ML1 FF trinket w/Master's gift for TRing after would be very nice indeed.
    The people who are doing that want past lives, they aren't going to be interested in a trinket at level 26 that isn't helping them with their goal. And absolutely no on the min level 1 master's gift with ff, we have enough power creep in this game. A trinket like that should have a min level close to the level it was earned at, especially since it's supposed to be 'incentive to level'. There are plenty of people who aren't tr'ing at 20 also and are hanging out in repeating loops of 20 to 28.

The high level raids also suffer somewhat from being high level raids that require certain coordination and teamwork(and so many people only want byoh now, and fire peak can drop an unwary toon fast, makes the less strong in byoh real nervous I've noticed), and that make a lot of people who haven't done them shy about joining pugs because of the unfortunately common communal nastiness if someone dares to try to learn a quest by joining a group and joins not knowing every detail. Luckily for people on my server, the High Lords of Malkier run newbie teaching raids, welcoming everyone clearly marked so some of the people have a chance to learn in a a positive environment. You might want to consider getting the same going on your server.