Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GUETech View Post
    snip

How many people can honestly say they only ran a quest one time...

snip
    ME !!! Playing close to 2 years, several quests I have never done....I own MOTU and never ran a single quest in the xpac yet. DId my first TR a few weeks ago, only now on my second life have I had the need to run quests more than once, I do Hard first (for my streak) then elit for the favour....there simply is too much XP in the game for a first lifer, so you end up skipping most of the quests.

I play a few hours a week, there is still so much more content in the game for me to play that I have stuff to do for years.

The only thing I ever had to grind was my Heart of Wood doing challenges. and that only took a few hours.

I solo everything exclusively save VoD, the only raid I ever did...once, I am in a Large guild on Sarlona that is solo'er friendly (they never force me to do anything, they ask if I want to participate, but don't get offended if I don't). I only ever did 1 raid with my guild, and I was basically a spectator because I was clueless, it was more of a learning run for me and to take screen caps.

Like everything in life you should do things in moderation, too much of a good thing...is... well...isn't good !! You exhausted the content by speeding through it or grinding the Cr*p out of it...and you wonder why you're burnt out?

Eat apples for 6 years then you will be posting about "What went wrong with apples?"

Another emo doom thread. Try something else. See you in a few months.

Default A bowl of cherries

"What went wrong with DDO?"

Nothing, really. DDO, much like life, is what you make of it. You may either focus on the tiny minority that bugs the jebus out of you or learn to enjoy the overwhelming majority that does not. It's all in how you approach it. Many lives, many quests, many paths to choose; all in somebody else's playground. I found my enjoyment of the game growing once I absolved myself of the notion of control and simply played the game. Turbine may do as they wish, for as long as the servers remain up I can find a way to enjoy it. Having fun with their toys is my responsibility.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

This game is awesome. Nothing else out there even comes close. Skyrim??? That is laughable. It is basically a FPS...no character customization or thought required.

I think an area that could be (needs to be, top priority) improved, however, is grouping and guilds. This is a MMO. I enjoy the game immensely when in a good group but it is so hard to find a good group as the game caters to soloers far too much. There is little incentive or reason to group for many. We need a fresh look and full review of dynamics (xp formula - scaling, death penalty, penalty for levels), grouping mechanism/boards/matchmaking and quests IMO to encourage people to, you know, play together. Why should a quest/challenge be dramatically easier on Elite for a group of 1? [Well..looks like only one hero this time fellow baddies lets reduce our CR to accomodate him!] There should be no scaling on elite IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by arcmed View Post
    Lets see if this sum ups an otherwise long winded whine.

"The game took and shrunk my epeen and I am not liking the fact that some newb can come in and acquire gear in a little over a few months that puts them on par with myself and friends. Now it is harder for me to look down on the unwashed masses and proclaim my uberness!"

A game cannot survive catering to 2% of the gaming population. Making it easier for those new to the game to bridge the gap is a good thing for someone looking to make profit. And that is the whole reason for a company to be in business is PROFIT!

It is still difficult for that 98% to complete content easily at elite. I see it everyday that I pug with groups having trouble with content that myself and guildies can crush. Want to know what is fun? Taking a fresh character and joining a static group of strangers that games once or twice a week and does not twink out their characters save what is found during questing. It has been quite a bit of fun to do that the last few months and helps with the burnout I was feeling towards the game.
    Awesome post!

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee22 View Post
    At the moment what annoys me most is that players outside USA or Canada are apparently unwanted and unwelcome to this game.

The proof is obvious: When registering you can only list your country of origin as USA or Canada.

Maybe registering from another country and having no choice but choose the "wrong" country will even mean a violation of forum rules and result in account termination, so it may be used as an excuse to ban any non US and Canadian players from the game?

I'd like an official statement about this.

This.
    I feel really bad being outside of USA/Canada.
    1) Registration - USA/Canada only
    2) Competitions - I never get to participate in any... So no free stuff for creativity and helping in game development.
    3) Prices :
    Average American earns around 2000$. Average person in my country earns around 2000 of our valute.
    Now 1$ = 3 our valute.
    So we pay 3x more for everything in game.
    The same with euro. Even more, cause 4 times more...

The other thing that keeps ME out of play sometimes is bugs followed with my bad luck to class choice:
    1) I roll a monk - crafted wraps bug and then they add ppr and make ac irrelevant.
    So ok... I TR
    2) I roll wizzard - puff... Wail no working, insane dc increase in ee gh.
    So I TR.
    3) I roll damage/critic fvs built - and then 1 week after my TR critics on spells stop working, multiplayers also broken, also to add holy aura and heroic feats do almost nothing - even tho theyre supposed to prevent from being CCed by enchantements and poison.
    So I TRed and currently rogue... Knowing my luck when Im lvl10 assassinate will be bugged and sneak will stop working. Or something like that.

I love the game but if u spend 2 months getting gear needed to your next life and thedn when u TR most important things in your class is getting broken - 3 times in a row - its not fun.
    Also being outside USA clearly right now means - u have right to nothing .

I love the game, combat, graphic, community. I really do.
    But feeling worse due to where you live is so not cool :/.

I pretty much agree with OP, id love a version of DDO that runs like u13 point. For me u12-13 was the peak of the game, and from u14 to here thing keep getting bad.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ~TuskCouncil View Post
    QFT

The forum migration is the most bizarre thing to me of all. Half of us can't use our old names anymore, and what happened to all the content that's 404ed?

I mean, seriously, all that DDO information flushed down the toilet? Tragic.
    It is still there. Just change the /en/ in the address line to /forums/

IMO

Total disconnect from the playerbase
    Too many big changes too quickly

...was actually going to write a detailed post, but considering I haven't played in weeks, it does not deserve the effort.

Who wants my stuff? Oh wait...that was all changed to BTA and BTC...sorry

The time between significant content releases has stayed the same, but the time it takes players to achieve what they want out of each significant content release has dropped dramatically in the past year. So many people go on hiatus playing another game or doing stuff in RL until the next content release. They return, farm out all the stuff they want, then leave again. Rinse > repeat. With this new expansion not even having a raid, it will probably be even less time for players to get what they want out of the newest content.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Incompetent Management - Ironically, I thank <insert your diety of choice> everyday Turbine's management team has they jobs they do... Can you just imagine if these people were in charge of teams developing software for something important like a nuclear reactor? All the features that will come "soon"... :shudder:

Zynga Store - It may have saved the game from closing, but in my opinion it killed it's will to live. The focus moved from developing quality game content to retain subscribers to developing things to sell in the store with just enough content to keep people coming back to the store. Obviously the former model wasn't profitable enough, and the world is going to have to move on...

Sadly, all MMO's are Zynga style now, I've tried most of the recent ones. GW2... Neverwinter... The business side has spoken, you don't need expensive re-playable quality game content to make a profit, all you need is to keep releasing new fuzzy bunny slippers and different hairdos in your store. Once again I find myself back here in DDO, having jumped the fence and found there is just as much dog poo on the other side.
    Officer of the Platinum Knights of Cannith, Founder of the guild GHOSTBANE of Cannith
    Main - Death - Completionist and then some...
    Other Characters - Holy, Leap, War, Optimusprime, Intimitank, Lanfear, Can, Afkbiobrb, Garagesale, Leverpuller and many more

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

What went wrong with DDO? Simple:

* They stretched out the level cap by 5 levels thining the player base (making the game feel less full)

* They added a bonus system that makes LFM level ranges default to a 3 level range (making the LFM panel have less highlighted groups for any specific character compared to the days when 4 level range was standard)

* They ruined the most content rich most replayable part of the game "old endgame" with a combination of changes and obsolescence (BtCoE, 21 level loot better than raid loot (Lolth Trinket) sellable 21 level loot that's better than raid loot) and failure to revamp old raid loot loot.

* They obsoleted most old Epic items with sellable loot and other changes (see above) making people wonder why they bothered, and why they should bother in the future...

* They replaced 12 or 13 regularly run "end game" raids and popular epics with 2 raids and a handful of flagging quests that are used for farming ED's

* They gave us nothing to do with the super powerful ED's except run the same 2 raids and farm other ED's farm twink gear from old quests or TR.

* They previewed a terrible looking enhancement pass that is full of changes no one wanted that is getting bad word of mouth in the game.
    . 30+ Nerfs
    . Somehow not fulfilling the expectations that they set up of having 3 completed PrE's for each class
    . They turned 2/3rds finished tier II PrE's into tier 5's without finishing those
    . They added 7 new ways to restrict choices, to the live enhancement systems 3 ways.
    . They added a couple super overpowered combo's that will be nerfed soon, and while they're distracting some players with "oohh shiny broken OP" they are just more things that make the pass look bad to a discerning player, the nerf adverse player, or someone who doesn't measure his characters in 3 month "flavor of the month" life spans.
    . They failed to deliver a lot of the "ooh that sounds awesome" that they were talking about making it kind of obvious that they were just white boarding. You know Under promise, over deliver guys?

* They announced a terrible epic TR mechanic that scared droves of players away

* They published a eGH full of sellable loot and raid loot that is in many cases less desirable and more niche than the flagging quest loot, so there's little need or desire to run FoT.

They announced an expansion with $39, $49 or $79 dollars of buy in that will stretch the level cap to 28 prematurely thinning the player base out EVEN MORE, with no raids, and at first no epics (scaring more away). so end game is going to be a handfull of quests. Hope they are balls out amazing quests because 9 quests with nothing else to do between level 25 and 28 is going to suck, in fact I predict many people actually withdraw and don't bother capping to 28... there's nothing there... it's like going down a dead end in a maze.

* They did all these things at the same time that they grunted out these terrible new forums and yet somehow STILL TERRIBLE AFTER MONTHS; leading even "apologists" to slam Turbine.

* They did this while at least 1 major and one indy MMO with buzz became playable (NWO and Path of Exile) the major one is far far more new player friendly (read easy and simple) so it is sucking up all the new players that might be trying DDO.

* They have left a criminally restrictive LFM system in place that is so inefficient and new player hostile that once the player base drops below "crititcal mass" the LFM window looks and feels empty and abandoned (12-13 total LFM's last night on Thelanis, for all level ranges over the course of the night) leading players to leave the game because it feels empty and abandoned.

* Related to the above last two: the regular players or new players who like DDO enough to stay who are still around are finding an increasingly empty LFM panel. Meaning if you're not in a big guild the game feels dead, so even Vets are leaving or contemplating other games even ones (such as myself) who are really enjoying DDO (when I'm not stuck solo'ing "IP" with an unfilled group, or waiting to see something pop up on the LFM panel, or waiting in someone elses LFM for at least a basic group of 3 or 4...)

So that about sum it up?
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 07-22-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    What went wrong with DDO? Simple:

/snip

So that about sum it up?
    Yes it does. I would say you captured a big part of what most people that have been with DDO a few years feel went wrong in the game.

However what I find is happening with the game is that like all things that are niche products are becoming mainstream and as such must comply with the mainstream demands. Most players joining nowadays would seem to want "easy buttons", most new players are more casual than the veterans, most newer players would seem to want to group less and solo content more (questing, not raiding)...

These are all specualtions of course, because the game design seems to be catering to players who are apparently demanding these things because that is the direction TUrbine has gone. or is percevied to have gone as a game producer.

If I may attempt to make a comparisson, let's say you are one of those hard core metal heads, and once upon a time Metalica was your fav band, they were underground and cool because nobody knew about them and nobody liked their music...then you wake up one day and hear a metalica song on the radio and you begin to hate the band and despise them because they deviated from being underground and you perceive them to have sold out and become bubble gum pop rock...and now the content they produce no longer appeals to you, you move on and you find the next cool band that nobody knows about and is still iunderground and nobody listens to, until it either dies a miserable death because the niche product could not support the client base, or it becomes mainstream and manages to push you away again, rinse and repeat.

What I find has happened here is not much different, DDO is feeling more like other MMOs with their cosmetic fluff and easy buttons and as such have become mainstream in design and content, people are finding that the uniqueness of the game is no longer there and that the new generation of players coming in do not share the same interests. The new players coming in are wanting and asking for the things being produced becuase they have become the majority.

Just a guess, but maybe has some merit?

First, that enhancement pass is not going how I like. Basically, devs pushed it back for over a year to work on it, and then they revealed their year of work in the alpha, and it looked pretty bad. Way too restrictive, a lot less new enhancements compared to what I expected (classes with 2 trees, no new racial trees). But not the end of the world, I thought, as they seemed to be perfectly willing to push it back more until they got it right, and they said they were purposely starting too restrictive so they could let back on the restrictions.

And so far, they have let back in just 4 ways. Allowing top row enhancements to be purchased with 30 points instead of 40 for class trees, 15 instead of 20 for race trees, removing points in tree restrictions for core abilities in race trees (please do this with class trees too- a lot of the old prestige abilities we might have to otherwise give up on due to these new restrictions are in the cor abilities we could get them much more easily this way, and it's so easy to give up on pure class if the capstone requires 40 points to get) and allowing 6 class trees instead of 3.

Which still is not enough for me. It's not enough for any build that was a different flavor from their prestige enhancement, for example, arcane archer <insert anything not ranger>, melee spellsingers, and if you're a caster relying on another class or race tree, you won't get much spell power since it's now almost exclusively in the form of "X spell power of Y type per point spent in caster tree". Your mileage may vary with jack-of-all-trades builds. On one hand, you can take several different PrE abilities, but on the other hand, you were already taking a variety of general (not pre related) enhancements that are now spread out into different trees, and now you need to reach high tiers in several trees to get them all back, which may not be possible due to points spent in tree restrictions.

Oh and epic levels are so pointless. You only need to be level 20 to unlock destinies and run epic content. So all you get are a pair (trio, in a short time) of feats, some HP, BAB and saves, and bonuses to various abilities that happen to work of character levels rather than class, like toughness. Other than that, it just adds xp penalties and spreads out the game, which imo outweighs the benefits of giving everyone commoner levels. It also doesn't really add to DDO's niche of complex character customization, as three of the epic levels are the exact same for everyone, and the other two vary by only a feat.

i blame greensteel, it was one of those bigger things that made ddo into what it is now, greensteel was too powerfull, made game too easy, so game was made harder, and since then ddo just spiraled out of controll, every next update and quest packs add harder content, harder by raising hp and saves, and not by challenge, each new content adds new items that are more named overpowered items that make old items obsolete. and again due to those items game diffioulty is raised, there always will be more powerfull items to replace the ones we farmed our sanity to get, i expect that the new expansion will do the same thing with gianthold items, they will again become obsolete as there will be way better and easier to get items in it, same thing was with first expansion, it destroyed everyones will to get old items, when was the last time you seen anyone trying hard to get some item epiced from sands pack or other, at best its rare for anyone wanting anything from those old packs. since existance of named items is the main reason to run certain quests or packs, then when gianthold items will become weaker than the new ones, gianthold will again become empty. same as every area before it.

another thing that is destroying this game from lvl 1 up is breavery bonus, its literaly DESTROYING the game from inside, instead of playing game and enjoying quests, quest for most groups have only one value, its EXP per minute. nothing more, its rare to see anyone interested in NOT zerging the quest and for a change do optionals..... very rare, part of the problem is the TR and its increased exp needed to cap, tr became something that is required to keep afloat in the high level content in ddo.

there are also named items, i wish turbine just deleted all named items from game, upgraded crafting to the point where it would be usefull at all levels and made us use random items. becouse current state is that we have dragontouched armor problem all over again, just on much wider scale. at high levels its mostly named item hunt, dragon scale armors, demon web weapons.
    "If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong."
    — Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnose13 View Post

another thing that is destroying this game from lvl 1 up is breavery bonus, its literaly DESTROYING the game from inside, instead of playing game and enjoying quests, quest for most groups have only one value, its EXP per minute. nothing more, its rare to see anyone interested in NOT zerging the quest and for a change do optionals..... very rare, part of the problem is the TR and its increased exp needed to cap, tr became something that is required to keep afloat in the high level content in ddo.
    People zerged and were doing xp/min runs far before bb. I stopped hitting optionals a few months into the game because of the poor xp/min on most makes them not worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    People zerged and were doing xp/min runs far before bb. I stopped hitting optionals a few months into the game because of the poor xp/min on most makes them not worth doing.
    ofc they did, but it was not THAT common, literaly you have 99% of lfms in game state, zerg, byoh and all that nonsense, so what does that say about game? and i agree about the optionals that they are not worth to do but its not a general quest fault, the problem is in HOW the exp is calculated and the fact that groups want to FARM quests and not do them.

i seriously think it would be better if turbine made something diffrent with how exp is calculated, but if they did there would be great uproar, that its a nerf hitting all trs etc.

to make optionals worthwhile it would be a simple thing to turning around the way it is now

currently its like this quest gives 10k exp 5% extra exp for each optional, as example, and yes thats not worth the trouble, but if it was 5k exp, with +50% base exp on quest completion for each optional, same as with conquest, ransack and all other bonuses???? final quest exp would be actualy an effect of what players do in quest instead of just a reason of/for zerg farm.

oh and in previous post i forgot about the new addition to the game, destinies which by design turbine thought to force everyone to tr repeatedly but instead gave everyone reasons and means to mindlessl farming of exp to cap all of them to have enough fate points....................
    Last edited by bloodnose13; 07-22-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    "If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong."
    — Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by bloodnose13 View Post
    ofc they did, but it was not THAT common, literaly you have 99% of lfms in game state, zerg, byoh and all that nonsense, so what does that say about game? and i agree about the optionals that they are not worth to do but its not a general quest fault, the problem is in HOW the exp is calculated and the fact that groups want to FARM quests and not do them.
    Yes they say byoh zerg ip now. Previously they said Know it, no -10% ip. Not seeing the big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Yes they say byoh zerg ip now. Previously they said Know it, no -10% ip. Not seeing the big difference.
    The difference is that instead of playing normal or hard, they come to the forums asking for elite to be made easier due to feeling entitled to earn elite BB but not feeling obligated to ramp up their quality of play enough to earn it.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member

I'm not in either camp.

You do need to have some progression that takes time to acquire, however at the same time, if it's too easy to get, you've got it all, and you're done.

I think the old system was too much. I had 1 or 2 epic items from the yearly events, but nothing, not one other epic item. I was playing a pure mage, or a pure monk. Never a class that min-maxed UMD, and went for a flavor of the month build. ("The Juggernaught, The Clunk, I soloed X on my FVS with my Torc and Con-op!")

Basically, the game if you didn't min-max, and use the flavor builds ended at 20. Sure you could run the 2 or 3 epics that people were bypassing all the content to get the end chest. Sure you could grind your 242nd shroud raid to get the GS items that were more powerful than almost anything else in the game, and you could equip them at 12th.

I was bored. I wasn't going to complete 20 shrouds to get something. I wasn't going to complete 20 MORE ADQ on another character for the torc. It just wasn't worth it. I wasn't going to spend my 2 or 3 million plat to buy a scroll for an item I'd never see the shard for.

The cost to enter that part of the game was too high. I wasn't going to play it, or pay it.

U14, and now I can get some epics. Good gear, without possibly hundreds of completions. (However I've ransacked at least 2 chests twice.)

The game is disjointed... I think that is one of the main issues. The gear progression ramps up like 3rd life XP. You can get buy, not only get by, but do 100% fine with random drops all the way to 25. There is no reason to park at 20, and grind any of that gear. Just like their isn't any reason to run shroud, or ANY low level raid anymore.

Seems if they moved some XP to the lower end, you would be level 12 for a day longer, and that 1 extra day may encourage you to run that raid. Maybe that isn't the solution at all.

Maybe the solution is to scale up all the raids they have already built to level 28.

I've played 2 raids in this game... 2.

I beat both of them with 3 people. Unless they have gear, and relevance at level cap, they won't get played. People will go by them, or play them at level cap, just out of curiosity.

We're at a strange place with DDO. 3 "old" loot systems already in the past. Drop, then farm many parts, then farm only 3 parts, now farm nothing, but complete on a set difficulty.

It seems every level cap raise, and every new patch adds another varied system to acquire loot.

If all the loot was relevant at cap, and all of it could be acquired with the 5 ways loot is handed out. That would be very interesting indeed.

But, as you progress thru the levels, the method of gaining loot also progresses.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast