Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default Is DDO circling the drain?

    Is DDO circling the drain? For a while I keep thinking it's about to die, and it never does, which makes me wonder if either I'm just plain out wrong, or it's circling slower than I expected. Also, sorry in advance for the wall of text.

    What I see, and mind you this is my own perception, is:
    - There are less and less "knowledgeable players" playing the game. - That is to say more and more people I seem to run with, and I almost exclusively PUG, are simply ignorant about the game. Willfully ignorant at that. This could be that the better players are only playing with themselves, or it could be there's just less of them. The spread from level 1-20 to 1-25 may also dilute the playerbase considerably. Which brings to my next point of...

    - There are less players playing. - Perhaps it is the dilution, but I think not. There are alot of PUGs from level 1-5 or so, and a steady amount of a few posted PUGs at 20-25, with a giant wasteland in-between. When I started, shortly at the f2p shift, one at any level range could pick and choose between at least 3-5 PUGs with almost invariably one working for you. Now, if you want a full group, even for popular quests such as Litany/VON3/Shadow Crypt, it takes forever. This has led to people, including myself, posting IP groups. I will wait for about 3 minutes to see if anyone joins up, and then just start running by myself with occasionally someone joining IP. The posting of IP groups means one needs to be more and more self-sufficient, which limits in turn who can join the group. I'm far more interested in a WF sorc than in a pure barbarian, because while the barb can self-heal with SF pots, those are not things one tends to have until later levels. This in turn excludes people, due to the simple nature of an evolved playerbase towards self-sufficiency.

    - Turbine makes puzzling decisions - There have been no shortage of decisions in the past which riled up the playerbase. Everything from nerfing WoP to defining clerics as healbots to the personal pet peeve of mine of in U9 they removed sorcerer versatility. However as of late Turbine's focus has puzzled me. The enhancement update at the moment looks horrific, and while it may change it shows where the developer's mindset is. The forums are very, very bad. Being logged out every 2 minutes, and the pages take 10x as long to load as before, names not transferring, and really I don't need to go into depth here as you can read this in *every other thread.* I tend to be forgiving of decisions made by those I see as more knowledgeable than I but I am simply confused by this. The only rationale I can give is…

    - Turbine just doesn’t care – Insert here what you don’t think they care about. The way I see it is that Turbine, and yes I am lumping the whole company together, feels they know what is best for you, and gosh darn it they are going to force-feed it to you until you see they are right. This is not me talking about the forum-goers’ thoughts as I believe the forum is made up of players who have a different perspective than the majority of the game playerbase. I mean, people on the forums are complaining about how EE is too easy. Most of the players I know in game would be happy to survive EH in a reasonably timeframe. People in the game for quite some time have been increasingly fed up with the lag, broken quests, missing epic chests, and more for years and yet… Turbine has said nothing. Not even on the forums, which are kinda intended for that. I’ve played quite a few other online games, and in each and every last one of them the developers talked with the players to find out what was going on. A stupid decision was made, and they reversed it. A major bug came out they couldn’t easily fix, they announced they were working on it. They had a test server which resulted in things changing because they listened to their players. There have been major, major bugs in the same which resulted in Turbine, at least visually, ignoring completely. There was the person who lost all their ED xp, and only got a result after a significant number of prominent players saying ‘screw this.’ I mean, was lag ever acknowledged? Raids and quests were being lost purely to lag and yet the discussion was as if it never happened and they professed surprise as if noone had ever told them. The 100x billing issue; forgetting to renew their domain name; the list goes on, and those are only the very recent problems. Perhaps they really don’t know what goes on. Perhaps WB is deciding to put as little money into the game as they can to try to squeeze out the last few dollars because they know trying to fix the game would be cost-prohibitive. Perhaps they are working to fix it, but won’t tell us for some reason. I don’t know, but it is hard to get the impression Turbine cares when they tell us nothing while Rome burns. I keep being reminded of the Iraqi Information Minister telling us everything was ok as the US forces crushed the Iraqi forces.

    So, sorry for the wall of text, and the rather free flow thoughts, but I can’t help but wonder if things are going downhill, or if it’s all in my head. I tend to financially support the games which interest me, but I have a hard time giving Turbine money, even before the forum fiasco potentially uncovering financial details, when I just don’t have confidence the game will be around in a few months. If I had confidence it would be around, I would be supporting, but I just don’t think I would be surprised at this point if they announced they were closing up shop in a month, other than that they delayed until after getting the money-grab from the newest expansion.

  2. #2
    Community Member ~kruemeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    81

    Arrow We Care A Lot

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    - There are less and less "knowledgeable players" playing the game. - That is to say more and more people I seem to run with, and I almost exclusively PUG, are simply ignorant about the game. Willfully ignorant at that. This could be that the better players are only playing with themselves
    I like playing with myself. I play with myself all the time.

    I also have much less patience than I did 2 years ago... for players that summon a L1 WF Barb Hireling in Elite Kobold Assault!


    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    - There are less players playing. -
    When I want to PUG (orien) I have never had problems. Even now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    - Turbine makes puzzling decisions
    Turbine has been bought by a company that wants to Profit from LOTRO.
    LOTRO is more popular than DDO.
    Turbine wants/Needs to be profitable in order to survive.
    These Facts enable one to understand turbine perfectly. (well except Fernando... but then he is the reason some of us are still playing! Paralyzing weapons for everyone!!!)


    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    - Turbine just doesn’t care
    See above. I am sure that they care.
    It is just that they dont necessarily care about stuff that players care about!

    I just wish that they would get it into their heads that selling torqs and SoS for 1000TP would be profitable.

    EDIT: I had to relog in order to post (at least it didnt lose my text) and I had to open the EDIT in a new window/tab in order to edit!
    Last edited by kruemeli; 05-03-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Gaaaaaach!
    kruemeli - Orien. Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits
    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...ld-Name-Change
    It's OK to be "merry":
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0

  3. #3
    Hero KweiLi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Some where between here and forgetting all together
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    Is DDO circling the drain? For a while I keep thinking it's about to die, and it never does, which makes me wonder if either I'm just plain out wrong, or it's circling slower than I expected. Also, sorry in advance for the wall of text.

    What I see, and mind you this is my own perception, is:
    - There are less and less "knowledgeable players" playing the game. - That is to say more and more people I seem to run with, and I almost exclusively PUG, are simply ignorant about the game. Willfully ignorant at that. This could be that the better players are only playing with themselves, or it could be there's just less of them. The spread from level 1-20 to 1-25 may also dilute the playerbase considerably. Which brings to my next point of...

    Knowledgeable players don't pug. Simply put they don't need to.


    - There are less players playing. - Perhaps it is the dilution, but I think not. There are alot of PUGs from level 1-5 or so, and a steady amount of a few posted PUGs at 20-25, with a giant wasteland in-between. When I started, shortly at the f2p shift, one at any level range could pick and choose between at least 3-5 PUGs with almost invariably one working for you. Now, if you want a full group, even for popular quests such as Litany/VON3/Shadow Crypt, it takes forever. This has led to people, including myself, posting IP groups. I will wait for about 3 minutes to see if anyone joins up, and then just start running by myself with occasionally someone joining IP. The posting of IP groups means one needs to be more and more self-sufficient, which limits in turn who can join the group. I'm far more interested in a WF sorc than in a pure barbarian, because while the barb can self-heal with SF pots, those are not things one tends to have until later levels. This in turn excludes people, due to the simple nature of an evolved playerbase towards self-sufficienct

    I never pug and if I did, I'd never join an IP group. Why? Because whether I join the group or not, you will complete the quest. You don't need nor want me.


    - Turbine makes puzzling decisions - There have been no shortage of decisions in the past which riled up the playerbase. Everything from nerfing WoP to defining clerics as healbots to the personal pet peeve of mine of in U9 they removed sorcerer versatility. However as of late Turbine's focus has puzzled me. The enhancement update at the moment looks horrific, and while it may change it shows where the developer's mindset is. The forums are very, very bad. Being logged out every 2 minutes, and the pages take 10x as long to load as before, names not transferring, and really I don't need to go into depth here as you can read this in *every other thread.* I tend to be forgiving of decisions made by those I see as more knowledgeable than I but I am simply confused by this. The only rationale I can give is…

    Can't argue here. Although what people view as "bad" or "horrific" is variable. And remember web folk are not game devs.


    - Turbine just doesn’t care – Insert here what you don’t think they care about. The way I see it is that Turbine, and yes I am lumping the whole company together, feels they know what is best for you, and gosh darn it they are going to force-feed it to you until you see they are right. This is not me talking about the forum-goers’ thoughts as I believe the forum is made up of players who have a different perspective than the majority of the game playerbase. I mean, people on the forums are complaining about how EE is too easy. Most of the players I know in game would be happy to survive EH in a reasonably timeframe. People in the game for quite some time have been increasingly fed up with the lag, broken quests, missing epic chests, and more for years and yet… Turbine has said nothing. Not even on the forums, which are kinda intended for that. I’ve played quite a few other online games, and in each and every last one of them the developers talked with the players to find out what was going on. A stupid decision was made, and they reversed it. A major bug came out they couldn’t easily fix, they announced they were working on it. They had a test server which resulted in things changing because they listened to their players. There have been major, major bugs in the same which resulted in Turbine, at least visually, ignoring completely. There was the person who lost all their ED xp, and only got a result after a significant number of prominent players saying ‘screw this.’ I mean, was lag ever acknowledged? Raids and quests were being lost purely to lag and yet the discussion was as if it never happened and they professed surprise as if noone had ever told them. The 100x billing issue; forgetting to renew their domain name; the list goes on, and those are only the very recent problems. Perhaps they really don’t know what goes on. Perhaps WB is deciding to put as little money into the game as they can to try to squeeze out the last few dollars because they know trying to fix the game would be cost-prohibitive. Perhaps they are working to fix it, but won’t tell us for some reason. I don’t know, but it is hard to get the impression Turbine cares when they tell us nothing while Rome burns. I keep being reminded of the Iraqi Information Minister telling us everything was ok as the US forces crushed the Iraqi forces.

    Turbine gave up communication long ago in this game. Then again the forum community here is anyting but contructive and its mostly just vile. Anybody with reason or something actually constructive gets ignored by turbine and flamed by trolls.l


    So, sorry for the wall of text, and the rather free flow thoughts, but I can’t help but wonder if things are going downhill, or if it’s all in my head. I tend to financially support the games which interest me, but I have a hard time giving Turbine money, even before the forum fiasco potentially uncovering financial details, when I just don’t have confidence the game will be around in a few months. If I had confidence it would be around, I would be supporting, but I just don’t think I would be surprised at this point if they announced they were closing up shop in a month, other than that they delayed until after getting the money-grab from the newest expansion.

    DDO isn't close to dying. Asheron's Call is still going. I'd get worried when they close that game. Until then, the game will simply make $$$ from Otto's Boxes alone.
    " All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage." -Sherlock

    Thelanis Server -Kwei Li, Morrgane, Scatach Una, Aislen, Crowker of the Black Company, Vespir, Nigella of the Mist, Faolan, Sanpaku, Craevin

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    KweiLi, I can't really disagree with much of what you say. I was more giving writing to thoughts I had been having for some time. Perhaps it is just that more and more of the bugs are affecting me, and it's time for me to take an indefinite break. Perhaps I am psyching myself out over the whole thing.

    kruemeli, I can however respectfully disagree with you.

    The PUG scene on Orien is a shadow of itself from a few years ago. Perhaps it falls down to what KweiLi pointed out of that the better players simply don't have to PUG any more, or perhaps there are simply less players, who knows. However, I can assure you that the PUG scene is much worse than it was when I can remember.

    The profitability I understand, but their decisions just don't seem to make sense in that context. Alienating players, making things more difficult, ignoring gaping bugs which are bad enough to make people stop play? Those don't make sense. The things which do make sense, even if I don't like, are the increased P2P models, such as making bugs a solvable by store items, pets, etc.

    I do however agree with you that I think Turbine cares, just not about what we care about. However, there needs to be some overlap, or the players not being satisfied will mean they stop paying, which Turbine should care about. I have little doubt the employees themselves care about their 'baby' but I simply don't think management understands that ****ing off your playerbase consistently is a poor business model.

    (Ugh, logged out in the time it took me to copy/paste this? Seriously? I was on the post-page for all of 15 seconds after logging in...)

  5. #5
    Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    Deadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from
    Posts
    3,511

    Default

    The new enhancement pass is in alpha. We demanded to see it as soon as possible, Turbine have obliged and now people are crying DoOm!11!!! because it's very rough. It has major design flaws in AP spend and junk enhancements, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. We wanted to see it early. We've got it. It's very much a work in progress. If it goes to beta without major changes, then I'll be the first to change my tune

    The lack of LFM's is a constant issue, and this just feeds the nerd-rage on the forums at the BYOH parties that people post up - as I've said repeatedly before, the issue isn't with BYOH, they are designed for a certain type of player - the issue is the lack of available options that inevitably forces noobs and nubers to join a party they just aren't experienced/geared/built for.

    The increased level range from 1 to 25 definitely spreads the player base. With a bigger player base we have more LFM's and more options. Sometimes we hear that people aren't LFMing because they're in guild parties or in channel parties. That's no different now from how it's always been, so I don't see that as an excuse for the lack of LFM's. And on Ghallanda, I'm in the raid channels and the raids aren't prolific enough to account for the lack of LFM's.

    I will say that one of the things that we have seen over the years is that the player base has matured. We have people like myself who have been playing since just after beta. We've been around the block a few times. For some that makes them very reluctant to pug. As someone who still sticks up pug LFM's, sometimes I can't blame them for their reluctance.

    Whenever a new game is released there's the usual end-is-nigh paranoia this created - last time it was something involving light sabers, this time it's some console rip-off that's stolen the honoured name of a classic PC game. A lot of people dabble, but many of them lose interest and return to DDO.

    The biggest issue for me is the lack of cross-channel marketing that's instigated by Wizards Of The Coast as the owner of the D&D Franchise. Every single D&D product you buy right now should give you a code for 30 days VIP access to DDO. Maybe another code for Neverwinter, but I don't really care about that. To me, that is a complete no-brainer. You're getting people who (a) have an active enough interest in D&D to purchase a product (b) have just spent money on a D&D related product so have money to spend. Unfortunately it seems to be down to Franchisee whether that's Turbine or Warner Brothers to foot the bill for the marketing. And it's lack of marketing that damages the game more than anything.

    If the people at Turbine / Warner Brothers were smart, they would be piggy-backing on the interest in the D&D brand created around the Neverwinter marketing. I would be marketing DDO as having all of the complex customisation, character creation, sophisticated mechanics and real-time combat mechanics that people want ... and Neverwinter as something like D&D with the training wheels still on.

    Potentially, the new enhancement system and the new expansions that are in the works could be the best thing that we've had for a long time, but Turbine need to focus on what makes DDO unique. Flexibility and fun being paramount among them. Don't give us lousy restrictions on the new enhancements, give us more detailed character sheets to detail the mechanics that we have to deal with and eliminate the guess work from things like spell critical multipliers and glancing blow proc chances.

    So I'd say no, it's not circling the drain, but the perceived lack of high-level action from the powers that be at Turbine could lead you think that.
    Last edited by Deadlock; 05-03-2013 at 04:53 PM.

  6. #6
    Community Member ~kruemeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    kruemeli, I can however respectfully disagree with you.
    How do you know if I like playing with myself????

    Are you spying on me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    The PUG scene on Orien is a shadow of itself from a few years ago.
    I never said that it was as it was.... but I have always pugged when I want to. And I never really had to wait...
    But then I can solo enough quests to make Progress... and pugging has become more of a pleasure thing than a need thing!
    (or at least a thing that stops my guildies whining about PUGging...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    The profitability I understand, but their decisions just don't seem to make sense in that context. Alienating players, making things more difficult, ignoring gaping bugs which are bad enough to make people stop play?
    Every dollar spent on DDO is a dollar that could be spent on LOTRO... hell even CORDOVAN has been spotted working the LOTRO Forums....

    The point is that WB is interested in LOTRO... every piece of attention that is taken away from that is wasted (for them).

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    I do however agree with you that I think Turbine cares, just not about what we care about. However, there needs to be some overlap, or the players not being satisfied will mean they stop paying, which Turbine should care about. I have little doubt the employees themselves care about their 'baby' but I simply don't think management understands that ****ing off your playerbase consistently is a poor business model.
    I am saying that DDO is irrelevant. SO whether we want what we want or not is irrelvant! Because every dev-hour spent on DDO is a dev-Hour that could be spent on something much more profitable!

    I logged out and had to log in whilst posting this!
    kruemeli - Orien. Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits
    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...ld-Name-Change
    It's OK to be "merry":
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kruemeli View Post
    I am saying that DDO is irrelevant. SO whether we want what we want or not is irrelvant! Because every dev-hour spent on DDO is a dev-Hour that could be spent on something much more profitable!

    I logged out and had to log in whilst posting this!
    Apparently I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. In that case, I can't help but agree with you. I suppose I hadn't really given the LOTRO vs. DDO perspective enough thought.

  8. #8
    Community Member ~kruemeli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    Apparently I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. In that case, I can't help but agree with you. I suppose I hadn't really given the LOTRO vs. DDO perspective enough thought.
    Sometimes I feel like I am suffering because English is not my first language.

    I just hope that WB keeps DDO online because it brings some Money... I hope they realise that I would not jump to LOTRO if DDO dies....

    I hope they realise that a dev. tracker is necessary for the Forums.
    I hope.........

    EDIT: I hope they realise I hate relogging. I hope they realise I hate having to open the edit in a new window/tab!!!
    Last edited by kruemeli; 05-03-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh
    kruemeli - Orien. Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits
    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...ld-Name-Change
    It's OK to be "merry":
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j4t185wl-0

  9. #9
    Community Member PermaBanned's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    4,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    Is DDO circling the drain?
    The short answer is yes, but only since ~2006
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

  10. #10
    Community Member ~Grumpycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    104

    Default

    However you wish to speculate, there is a counter to prove you wrong on both sides of that argument. The only advice I have is if you believe it, dont spend money. If you dont, then spend away.

    Everyone is mad at one change or another. For me, currently, its the lack of GH quests in the compendium, Baudry down, broken things that have never really been fixed such as the rat maze in Necro 3 still being bugged a bit, and them talking about revamping the Enhancement system (which was fine the way it is) and lv 28 before fixing those. (especially the memory leak that's causing the majority of the lag).

    But circling the drain? If you had the money that WB has, would you waste it on something that's dying? Maybe for a tax write off but it wouldn't be DDO. It would be something that you could actually make money on the loss like the several solar energy companies that have died recently so you would get a big tax break on both end from the government.

    Even if Im wrong, which I'm not, DDO will die when it dies and we will move on. We will shed a tear (real or virtual) and play something else. I've been playing for 5 1/2 years and what I know one thing. Every month since I have joined there has been a doom thread.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    One slight problem on Orien is that the population is about 1/3 of what it was a couple of years ago. This can lead to fewer pugs in general. I suspect it's an even smaller fraction of what it was when I started playing but I didn't start keeping track of it that far back. These days there are about 500 to 600 people logged in at prime time Eastern. Top tier raiding guilds have no more than a handful of members on a night now.

    I don't like what I am seeing on Lam either. I sincerely hope that Turbine doesn't follow through with the nerfs there. Nobody wants to see their efforts burned. I worked for two years ekeing out a halfway decent sorc (you and I have short-manned ADQ a few times Sarghi). If what's on Lam goes through, I am going to be hugely disappointed. I *really* *truely* don't want to do all that again with some class that hasn't been mutilated.

    I do know people that have left after their toons got nerfed. I always thought they would come back. Many people on the forums have assured me that they would come back. But they have not. Nerfs don't bring new players to the game -but they do cause some to leave. At the moment at least one server is bleeding heavily. The last thing we need is another wave of disappointed players leaving.
    Last edited by Kaytis; 05-03-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    Formerly Katie_Seaglen
    Join Date: Jan 2010

  12. #12
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    It's not circling the drain any more than it ever was, it's just dropping below the critical mass of players it needs to overcome the massive anti grouping friction built into it's PUG system.

    It's also just not the flavor of the month right now, with the terrible strategic timing of a forum change that is clearly a complete disaster and a scary looking enhancement pass that looks like they're going to push it in with minor changes regardless of how amazingly unpopular and newly restrictive it is.

    As people have commented the Dev's chat Q&A's make it pretty clear that they're not interested in changing some of the more arbitrary and needless new restrictions no matter how universally disliked they seem to be. and by their own words "We know we're going to break your builds"... it's turning established players like myself off of the game. The fact that two simple changes would allow 99% of our builds to NOT BREAK, but they aren't listening, or they are and they intentionally ignoring those two simple changes, makes it even harder to log in and play a character. When you know it will be needlessly broken in a couple months, and the best they will do is pony up an LR with no class changes. Why level something that's going to be willfully (and needlessly) broken by the Dev's soon?

    Then there's the Bad timing with Neverwinter Online launching at the very least, you've got droves of casual players saying "why keep playing this game that's hard to find groups in, and complex and dated graphics, and seems to be undergoing a bunch of changes that very few players support, when I can try this new flavor with simpler gameplay and fresh new stuff, and hey it's named after possibly the best D&D video game ever made. They are both F2P, one just has far less going for it from a casual MMO perspective.

    DDO's biggest problem is that new players sit around wishing there was a group forming and spend 3 hours watching TV with the LFM window open instead of grouping. Some of them go solo, some of them (very few new players IMO) start their own LFM's and then get no joiners like a lot of of us that start LFM's. A lot of them are just going to look elsewhere for a different game instead of sticking it out with a DDOwiki window open to double check flagging and quest location before they click on someones group. I have struggled with the LFM system since I started playing. I have done every thing I just described, it may not be how you play DDO (just solo, go IP why waste time waiting for groups to fill) but it's what I expect from any multiplayer game. I still spend hours every night not wanting to solo, looking for LFM's or waiting for joiners. Sometime I fill right away, some times you get 1 other and 20 minutes later you go IP out of sheer boredom and sometimes the 1 other drops after 2 minutes. It's a carpshoot, at the best of times... when a bunch of the player base is off doing other stuff, it strangles the game.

    DDO's grouping has so many impediments that sitting around and not playing is part of the DDO experience, as is DDOwiki running in the background so you can tab to it.

    The sad fact is I don't think the Devs have any idea how many players are watching the LFM window not finding groups, not filling and not wanting to solo. I don't play MMO's for single player... they are frankly terrible at being single player RPG's. I am only interested in grouping and the chaos and unfettered variety of PUG'ing is my main source of enjoyment of DDO. Solo if you like that, but don't tell me the LFM system is fine, just go IP and/or solo.

  13. #13
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post

    The sad fact is I don't think the Devs have any idea how many players are watching the LFM window not finding groups, not filling and not wanting to solo. I don't play MMO's for single player... they are frankly terrible at being single player RPG's. I am only interested in grouping and the chaos and unfettered variety of PUG'ing is my main source of enjoyment of DDO. Solo if you like that, but don't tell me the LFM system is fine, just go IP and/or solo.
    I dont believe any game can be coded differently to change peoples attitudes, short of making the game literal forced cooperation, EQ style, where everyone has a specific role and playing it to the top of its potential makes XP faster. Players have already expressed en masse that they wont even accept this for elite only, defending scaling and crucibling of quests that pose a challenge on the toughest difficulty in the game.

    If people want to group but not want to lead, they are part of the issue. Turbine cannot code their game to make people want to be leaders, be nicer, all play the same way, etc etc. Attitude changes come from the players themselves. People need to start putting up LFMs if they dont see anything in their range, and want to play. They also need to lead when they put up the LFM. If they dont want the responsibility, thats fine by me, but then they CHOOSE to play the waiting game. Think about it, only 1 in 6 of those people who are all sitting there waiting for someone else to lead need to take the initiative, and theres no longer an issue.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  14. #14
    Hero nibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    The fact that two simple changes would allow 99% of our builds to NOT BREAK, but they aren't listening, or they are and they intentionally ignoring those two simple changes, makes it even harder to log in and play a character.
    I hope those two proposed changes are not "allow us to have infinite trees" and "allow us to unlock tier 5 in a tree spending points in another tree" (or looking at only total AP spent). While I can discuss about three trees not being enough, unlimited access to any available tree, with all Tier 0 autogrants, is simply too powerful.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

    I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

  15. #15
    Community Member Hokiewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hola Bienvenidos
    Posts
    4,487

    Default

    Yes. It's been one debacle after another since the first expansion. Financial expectations for the second expansion should not be high, but I would doubt that is the case. It's a shame, but it certainly shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone paying attention.
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

  16. #16
    Community Member HotMaarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    381

    Default

    I believe many of the people at Turbine care plenty (look at any picture or video of Tolero and tell me she doesn't love her job!!!). Warner Brothers inserted the life-saving cash into the game and now they have a say on how things proceed. And it's clear that they want to make MAX money. This means we have to absorb some things we don't like.

    Constant development and updates > all the petty things people here nerdrage about.

    Play the game, or don't. WB reads metrics like new accounts per month and TP spent and bug reports filed. They don't waste time trying to gauge forum emo moods.

    If you want them to notice, you gotta do something that registers on one of their metrics. Posts here just waste everybody's time. I can't believe this needs to be explained.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarghi View Post
    - Turbine just doesn’t care
    I think that Turbine does care - both individually and collectively. I think that they do want to put out a quality product and I do think that they want to be proud of what they do instead of being proud of the ideas that they have and then embarrassed by the implementation of those ideas.

    And I think that they don't believe that the things they care about are possible. The company as a whole seems depressed and defeated, like a restaurant that needs Gordon Ramsay's intervention. There is real potential there, but the people at the company who make the decisions don't think that publishing a quality product that has fewer bugs at each release than it had in the previous release is even possible. And they feel like they're trying hard and they are doing a lot of work, but it's a lot of work trying to fix things that never should have been broken while they let new broken things slip into production. And if they could get on top of their problems for even a short time, then they'd have fewer issues because they'd spend *SO* much less time putting out fires that they could actually start preventing those fires in the first place.

    But that would require both a tremendous effort AND the belief that it's actually possible. Turbine doesn't seem to have either of those things.

  18. #18
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    I hope those two proposed changes are not "allow us to have infinite trees" and "allow us to unlock tier 5 in a tree spending points in another tree" (or looking at only total AP spent). While I can discuss about three trees not being enough, unlimited access to any available tree, with all Tier 0 autogrants, is simply too powerful.
    Infinite trees would not be unbalancing. Theres already a limiting factor in there that balances the equation. 80 points. What that 3 tree limit does is make it so toons we have built today cannot be built after the pass. It puts multiclassing in severe check.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by popejubal View Post
    The company as a whole seems depressed and defeated, like a restaurant that needs Gordon Ramsay's intervention. T
    I think "Ramsay's Gaming Nightmares" with Turbine as a first episode, would be awesome! I don't even get television, but I would find a way to watch that!
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Mohnster Errand Yitzhak

  20. #20
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    I hope those two proposed changes are not "allow us to have infinite trees" and "allow us to unlock tier 5 in a tree spending points in another tree" (or looking at only total AP spent). While I can discuss about three trees not being enough, unlimited access to any available tree, with all Tier 0 autogrants, is simply too powerful.
    The changes are often discussed on Lam forums and are highly popular even among people who tend to disagree with each other regularly. They include using a universal AP spent requirement (as in how it works on live) instead of "AP spent in tree" as well as removing the generic enhancements from highly specific PrE trees which can arbitrarily lock you out of taking them if you don't want "20 AP spent in tree" to get an enhancement that used to have nothing to do with any PrE.

    With those two changes most current builds can be re-created in the new system.

    As it stands the only new builds are just overpowered combinations of previously impossible Teir III + Tier I or II PrE's... Once they raise those minimum levels which seems like an inevitability to me, those impossible combinations will be gone or highly mitigated. And we will be left with a system that breaks every thoughtful build in the game, while giving a few shiny new flavors of the month, and a whole lot of pathways to pigeonholes.

    By definition if things that are currently possible are eliminated then the pass has restricted choice and lowered variety. Right now the shiny "new choices" are mostly broken combinations that wont survive "beta phase".

    If our current builds break, and the shiny Demi-god "you only need 5 levels to get all the good stuff in two different PrE's" builds never make it into the game... well I don't have to point out that it's a massive movement towards the drain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload