Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Caster Level For Multi-Class Magic User?

How is caster level determined for multi-class magic users?

Assuming I am a druid3/rogue1 , am I considered a level 4 caster when determining magical damage or level 3 caster?

Please advise.

Community Member

If you "/def caster level" in game you get:

(Glossary): Caster Level: A measure of the power with which a spellcaster casts a spell. Generally, a spell’s caster level is the spellcaster’s class level.
    ddowiki.com also agrees that it's your level in the casting class.

While FrotzMe already said it, I just wanted to add an other example. If you would have multiclassed 3 Sorc/2 Cleric/1 Bard, you would count as a level 3 Sorc for your (arcane) sorcerer spells, and level 2 for your (divine) cleric spells. For spells that are known to more then one class, like Sorc and Bard (e.g. Daze Monster) the highest level apply in this case 3, while e.g. Focusing Chant which is only known to Bards will only count as level 1.

Keep in mind that the caster level also determines the duration of spells, like for Focusing Chant it's 36+6 seconds per caster level. Same is true for items that give bonus spell points like Archmagi, so for a 2 Sorc/18 Wiz you only would get the double spell points for the 2 Sorc levels, while the other 18 would count only simple.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Quote Originally Posted by SisAmethyst View Post
    . For spells that are known to more then one class, like Sorc and Bard (e.g. Daze Monster) the highest level apply in this case 3,
    really?
    thats nice to know tbh..you can basicly double your spells with some clever multiclassing that way

Community Member

While FrotzMe already said it, I just wanted to add an other example. If you would have multiclassed 3 Sorc/2 Cleric/1 Bard, you would count as a level 3 Sorc for your (arcane) sorcerer spells, and level 2 for your (divine) cleric spells. For spells that are known to more then one class, like Sorc and Bard (e.g. Daze Monster) the highest level apply in this case 3, while e.g. Focusing Chant which is only known to Bards will only count as level 1.

Keep in mind that the caster level also determines the duration of spells, like for Focusing Chant it's 36+6 seconds per caster level. Same is true for items that give bonus spell points like Archmagi, so for a 2 Sorc/18 Wiz you only would get the double spell points for the 2 Sorc levels, while the other 18 would count only simple.
    WOW... thanks for the clear explanation! Just one more question, so how is caster level determined for wands?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hucka View Post
    really?
    thats nice to know tbh..you can basicly double your spells with some clever multiclassing that way
    Very interesting thought! Any ideas or examples on how to double our spells with what kind of class mix?

Community Member

For spells that are known to more then one class, like Sorc and Bard (e.g. Daze Monster) the highest level apply in this case 3
    Just tested this, and it appears not to be true.

My cleric is currently 16/1 cleric/wizard. I inscribed the level 1 wizard spell Nightshield and added it to my spellbook. Nightshield is one of my standard cleric buff spells I use all the time.

When I cast Nightshield from my cleric spellbook, it lasts 16 minutes. (16 cleric levels = caster level 16)
    When I cast Nightshield from my wizard spellbook, it last 5 minutes. (1 wizard level = caster level 1)

Nightshield is one of the many spells that has a minimum duration of 5:00 at caster level 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr8Dator View Post
    WOW... thanks for the clear explanation! Just one more question, so how is caster level determined for wands?
    Each wand has its own caster level. You'll need to examine each wand to see the level. Keep in mind that wands of the same spell can have different caster levels e.g. there are level 5 lightning bolt wands and level 10 lightning bolt wands. Your level does not affect wand levels.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish-Doom View Post
    Each wand has its own caster level. You'll need to examine each wand to see the level. Keep in mind that wands of the same spell can have different caster levels e.g. there are level 5 lightning bolt wands and level 10 lightning bolt wands. Your level does not affect wand levels.
    Oh I see! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FrotzMe View Post
    If you "/def caster level" in game you get:

ddowiki.com also agrees that it's your level in the casting class.
    Exact. In addition quite a few items increase your caster level (normal or epic abishai set from chronoscope, epic staff of power... At least one low level robe).
    Pirotesse (battle-trap), Clausius (old style paly), Cadhu (swat fighter), Abysinthe (cleric), Sephiria (sorc), Dragunova (archer), Mauhin (wiz), Muhrahin(wf juggernauth), Azred(tempest), Birebash(sniper cleric), Bashibouzouk (barb), Salud(battle bard), Sniperovitch (repeater), Iraelle(battle cleric)

One other point: some PrE and ED abilities raise (or in some cases lower) your caster level (CL) as well; e.g., sorc Savant PrE provides +2 CL per tier to your dominant element, but -3 CL per tier to your opposing element. In the OP's case, if they decide to take Season's Herald, cycling thru Summer/Winter will provide CL bonuses to relevant spells.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Community Member ~swimmingjellycube's Avatar

As a previous poster stated, the caster level of spell that you cast from a wand is based on the item; however, artificers get a bonus.

If an artificer uses a wand, then the spell's caster level will be higher than if a different character uses the wand. This makes artificers the best class for using wands, scrolls, clickies, and I believe potions.

Staffs function differently than wands, and will use your caster level if it is higher than the staffs (i.e. usually). However, there are very few staffs in the game that you can actually use to cast spells with. I know of just a few:
    Melt Wood Staff: Melf's Acid Arrow
    Brine Shaman's Staff: Gust of Wind
    Master Transmuter's staff: Disintegrate
    Staff of Arcane Power: Various spells
    Alarphon's Staff: Various lvl 3-5 spells

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Barhai View Post
    Exact. In addition quite a few items increase your caster level (normal or epic abishai set from chronoscope, epic staff of power... At least one low level robe).
    Low level robe that increases caster level?!?!?! How low level? Whats the name please? Any idea?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by swimmingjellycube View Post
    As a previous poster stated, the caster level of spell that you cast from a wand is based on the item; however, artificers get a bonus.

If an artificer uses a wand, then the spell's caster level will be higher than if a different character uses the wand. This makes artificers the best class for using wands, scrolls, clickies, and I believe potions.

Staffs function differently than wands, and will use your caster level if it is higher than the staffs (i.e. usually). However, there are very few staffs in the game that you can actually use to cast spells with. I know of just a few:
    Melt Wood Staff: Melf's Acid Arrow
    Brine Shaman's Staff: Gust of Wind
    Master Transmuter's staff: Disintegrate
    Staff of Arcane Power: Various spells
    Alarphon's Staff: Various lvl 3-5 spells
    That's interesting information! I have a level 1 artificer I have yet to use and I originally intended it for crossbows but if it actually makes wands better, than maybe its going to be yet another wandslinger!

Community Member

Low level robe that increases caster level?!?!?! How low level? Whats the name please? Any idea?
    Don't get too excited. It's just for level 1 spells, they are cast as level 3.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Robe_of_Duality

Raising the caster level is called Spell Augmentation

That's interesting information! I have a level 1 artificer I have yet to use and I originally intended it for crossbows but if it actually makes wands better, than maybe its going to be yet another wandslinger!
    Spells from wands and staves are never going to be a useful mainstay offensive method. Perhaps you'll get occasional use from wands, but stick to your repeater.
    Last edited by Izaak; 05-07-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Brotherhood of the Wolf, Cannith

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Izaak View Post

Spells from wands and staves are never going to be a useful mainstay offensive method. Perhaps you'll get occasional use from wands, but stick to your repeater.
    Oh man, what a waste! Robe of Duality is so awesome but being end quest reward for the Catacombs mean you will be at least level 3 by the time you finish the adventure and would case level 1 spells as level 3 anyways furthermore, it is bounded so you cant pass it down to a lower level character... sigh... what a waste... (darn, you should already be level 3 finishing Korthos!)

Angry

DDO's caster multiclassing system is pretty much non-existant.

Even if you do build a useless multiclass caster build, the pre-reqs for all the prestige classes are impossible (they all require the class's +20 sp enhancment lines - except cleric).

Turbine should have implemented the Magic Rating System a long time ago (pretty much a BAB system for caster levels - from the same rulebook as our spell point system - see the link in my signature below this post). Non casters get BAB, casters should get MRS.

I am hoping the new enhancement system will make multiclass casters possible, but I doubt it.

Before update 9 multiclassing to an archmage/cleric was doable (but with neither being great) using heal bursts and archmage spells (they used to cast at char level). Update 9 killed this and ever since multiclassing casters is a complete joke. There are plenty of PnP rulesets for this, but turbine has not bothered to implement any.

I would love to be able to create a fun caster multi, but as long as turbine runs things, I don't see it ever being viable. We are the ignored minority.

Good luck!
    Casters should be able to multiclass too!
    Give us our own version of a BAB! - Publication:Unearthed Arcana/Magic Rating

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueToo View Post
    There are plenty of PnP rulesets for this, but turbine has not bothered to implement any.
    Well, good for Turbine!

What we do NOT need in this game is even more powerful blue bar characters running around. I mean, it isn't as if blue bar characters are not dominating the game as it is. So what possible incentive is there for making them even more powerful?

Current state of DDO is this: non-blue bar characters are for the die-hards and gimps, blue bar characters are for the players that want to dominate the game. Turbine refusing to change the spell-casting system only helps non-blue bar characters to stay playable.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ellis_Dee View Post
    For spells that are known to more then one class, like Sorc and Bard (e.g. Daze Monster) the highest level apply
    Just tested this, and it appears not to be true.

My cleric is currently 16/1 cleric/wizard. I inscribed the level 1 wizard spell Nightshield and added it to my spellbook. Nightshield is one of my standard cleric buff spells I use all the time.

When I cast Nightshield from my cleric spellbook, it lasts 16 minutes. (16 cleric levels = caster level 16)
    When I cast Nightshield from my wizard spellbook, it last 5 minutes. (1 wizard level = caster level 1)
    This is correct. When you know the same spell from multiple class sources the power and duration of the spell depend on which spell list you are casting from.

Note that for spells with maximum caster levels you might be able to do interesting things if the spell is available from multiple sources.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Izaak View Post

Um..no. Read the item description: "This item raises YOUR caster level when casting first level sorcerer or wizard spells by two".

So, if you're level 3 when you finish the Catacombs chain, and you get the Robe of Duality, you can cast level one spells as if you were level FIVE, not three.

Oh man, what a waste! Robe of Duality is so awesome but being end quest reward for the Catacombs mean you will be at least level 3 by the time you finish the adventure and would case level 1 spells as level 3 anyways furthermore, it is bounded so you cant pass it down to a lower level character... sigh... what a waste... (darn, you should already be level 3 finishing Korthos!)
    Um...no. Read the item description. The Robe of Duality is Bound to Account on Acquire...NOT bound-to-character. So if you have Shared Bank, you can pass it down to a lower-level toon, Yes, I know this from experience.
    All that is wrong with DDO, life, taxes, poltics, religion, music, fast food, education, the criminal justice system, the weather, society, the universe, and previously-discontinued-but-now-on-their-way-back snack cakes, is all the fault of Wizards of the Coast. I know this because Fred told me so, and Mind Flayers are smart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast