Default Epic drama in cannithtrade

For more than twenty years ago a now famous author, Julian Dibbel, wrote an article about ‘a rape in cyberspace’. The issue the author wanted to touch upon with this article was how to secure people’s actions to their avatars in ways that allowed wizards to control infringement of those avatars. This Friday, something happened in cannithtrade that brought this dilemma very much to life again. It all started when this person logged on whom I had the mistaken idea of being a friend with. (S)he was on my friends list and I hadn’t seen him/her for a long time, so I said hello and how’s it going and would you like to say hi on our guild’s new Facebook page where we try to make acquaintance with the people we like. The project had been successful so far so I didn’t think it could cause any trouble to get to know the people you play with so often.

Next thing the person goes into a flare about me/us being ‘friends’ with another person (s)he supposedly had been in a quarrel with. (S)he then started asking me to link pictures from this latter person’s Facebook account because (s)he wasn’t friended with this person. I found that highly suspicious and said I couldn’t see any pictures and I had no idea what (s)he was talking about. This was apparently enough for me to cross the line and suddenly belong to the group of people this former person identified as ‘not friends’.

(S)he told me (s)he had nude photos of the alleged person and that (s)he would link them in cannithtrade. This obviously stirred some commotion in the channel, people starting to turn the channel into an arena in hopes of some bloodshed. A few seconds later, the person who threatened to link the pictures went ahead and did so from another character.

Personally I didn’t copy-paste the pictures because image files can be embedded with keyloggers, and ddo does not offer authenticators. So I reported the character linking the image files for spam, a character, and maybe also account, that was not the same as the former character posing threats of revealing and embarrassing this person in his/her absence. (The person the photos were claimed to be of was not online).

People’s reactions to these photos claimed some validity to the person’s claim about what was on the photos. Some people responded in a more humane fashion with outright contempt. Soon after this, another character logged on, once again a different name from the former two, this time the person started to ramble with delusional fantasies in cannithtrade about me and the person who was on the photos. Apparently this was payback for me reporting the previous character for posting pictures of another person. Of course I just reported this third avatar for harassment.

When the first character then finally logged back on, and the two other characters, the one posting links to pictures and the one harassing me, were both logged off again, then I asked the person whom I for less than fifteen minutes ago thought of as my friend, a person I have had fun with in various raids, why (s)he did those things. (S)he played the spin-doctor card and denied to have any idea about all of the things that just happened, i.e. ‘(s)he was offline’ and dissociated from those characters. (Later, however, the person admitted from the original character that people ‘missed out on it’ when they wanted him/her to repost the pictures.)

Three days later, the victim of this menacing rampage wrote to me on Facebook, accusing me of being in on the ploy. The question is, who wasn’t in on it? Those who laughed and asked for the pictures to be posted again? Those who reacted with dismay but didn’t do anything to stop it, i.e. report the person who was crusading? Just by witnessing everything that took place, some might even say I was one of the victims, I feel as guilty as a culprit myself. Even though I utilized all the tools ddo has available to control the wildfire, even though I did nothing along the lines of feeding this troll with information (s)he could use against the (fictive?) target, I feel horrible for entrusting him/her with the feelings I would towards a friend.

It is sad to see how security and identity issues addressed more than twenty years ago are still on the line when you try to bridge the gap between the virtual and the real. It saddens me to see this sort of ghetto mentality where people believe it is a token of wit to “ruin some people’s lives”. And those were exactly the words the person offered when I said hi, long time no see, what are you up to and would you like to say hi on our Facebook page. What I thought was a joke turned out to be a nightmare and all I have left to ask is what people hope to achieve with this.

Edited with paragraphs. Thank you fTdOmen.
    Last edited by markthornberg; 05-08-2013 at 03:58 AM.

forget khyber. henceforth, CANNITH will be known as the official server of drah-mah. I have no idea how you go about topping this.

If i was Turbine, I'd delete half the accounts on this server and send the balance to Wayfinder.

I failed my first save against "Wall of text"

I then also failed my will save vs drama.

Quote Originally Posted by markthornberg View Post
    ]For more than twenty years ago a now famous author, Julian Dibbel, wrote an article about ‘a rape in cyberspace’. The issue the author wanted to touch upon with this article was how to secure people’s actions to their avatars in ways that allowed wizards to control infringement of those avatars. This Friday, something happened in cannithtrade that brought this dilemma very much to life again. It all started when this person logged on whom I had the mistaken idea of being a friend with. (S)he was on my friends list and I hadn’t seen him/her for a long time, so I said hello and how’s it going and would you like to say hi on our guild’s new Facebook page where we try to make acquaintance with the people we like. The project had been successful so far so I didn’t think it could cause any trouble to get to know the people you play with so often.

Next thing the person goes into a flare about me/us being ‘friends’ with another person (s)he supposedly had been in a quarrel with. (S)he then started asking me to link pictures from this latter person’s Facebook account because (s)he wasn’t friended with this person. I found that highly suspicious and said I couldn’t see any pictures and I had no idea what (s)he was talking about. This was apparently enough for me to cross the line and suddenly belong to the group of people this former person identified as ‘not friends’.

(S)he told me (s)he had nude photos of the alleged person and that (s)he would link them in cannithtrade. This obviously stirred some commotion in the channel, people starting to turn the channel into an arena in hopes of some bloodshed. A few seconds later, the person who threatened to link the pictures went ahead and did so from another character.

Personally I didn’t copy-paste the pictures because image files can be embedded with keyloggers, and ddo does not offer authenticators. So I reported the character linking the image files for spam, a character, and maybe also account, that was not the same as the former character posing threats of revealing and embarrassing this person in his/her absence. (The person the photos were claimed to be of was not online).

People’s reactions to these photos claimed some validity to the person’s claim about what was on the photos. Some people responded in a more humane fashion with outright contempt. Soon after this, another character logged on, once again a different name from the former two, this time the person started to ramble with delusional fantasies in cannithtrade about me and the person who was on the photos. Apparently this was payback for me reporting the previous character for posting pictures of another person. Of course I just reported this third avatar for harassment.

When the first character then finally logged back on, and the two other characters, the one posting links to pictures and the one harassing me, were both logged off again, then I asked the person whom I for less than fifteen minutes ago thought of as my friend, a person I have had fun with in various raids, why (s)he did those things. (S)he played the spin-doctor card and denied to have any idea about all of the things that just happened, i.e. ‘(s)he was offline’ and dissociated from those characters. (Later, however, the person admitted from the original character that people ‘missed out on it’ when they wanted him/her to repost the pictures.)

Three days later, the victim of this menacing rampage wrote to me on Facebook, accusing me of being in on the ploy. The question is, who wasn’t in on it? Those who laughed and asked for the pictures to be posted again? Those who reacted with dismay but didn’t do anything to stop it, i.e. report the person who was crusading? Just by witnessing everything that took place, some might even say I was one of the victims, I feel as guilty as a culprit myself. Even though I utilized all the tools ddo has available to control the wildfire, even though I did nothing along the lines of feeding this troll with information (s)he could use against the (fictive?) target, I feel horrible for entrusting him/her with the feelings I would towards a friend.

It is sad to see how security and identity issues addressed more than twenty years ago are still on the line when you try to bridge the gap between the virtual and the real. It saddens me to see this sort of ghetto mentality where people believe it is a token of wit to “ruin some people’s lives”. And those were exactly the words the person offered when I said hi, long time no see, what are you up to and would you like to say hi on our Facebook page. What I thought was a joke turned out to be a nightmare and all I have left to ask is what people hope to achieve with this.
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 05-06-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Community Member

heh, wow and /popcorn.

It sucks that it happened to you, and it sounds like you did everything you could appropriately. /cannithtrade is a public channel and so you can't do much about such behavior when it happens, other than reporting harrassment, etc.

I honestly hope you feel better about all this soon, when all the emotions get a chance to work itself out.

Default And The Real Problem Is? Here's a solution...

And those were exactly the words the person offered when I said hi, long time no see, what are you up to and would you like to say hi on our Facebook page.
    Social Networking, particularly facebook, is nothing but drama. Stop using it. Hope everything works out for you.....
    The man who can read but chooses not too is no better than the man who cannot read.-I forgot
    Playing since Jan 10'

Community Member

Default More like epic wall of text. Here's the REAL story, guize.

For more than twenty years ago a now famous author, Julian Dibbel, wrote an article about ‘a rape in cyberspace’. The issue the author wanted to touch upon with this article was how to secure people’s actions to their avatars in ways that allowed wizards to control infringement of those avatars. This Friday, something happened in cannithtrade that brought this dilemma very much to life again. It all started when this person logged on whom I had the mistaken idea of being a friend with. (S)he was on my friends list and I hadn’t seen him/her for a long time, so I said hello and how’s it going and would you like to say hi on our guild’s new Facebook page where we try to make acquaintance with the people we like. The project had been successful so far so I didn’t think it could cause any trouble to get to know the people you play with so often.

Next thing the person goes into a flare about me/us being ‘friends’ with another person (s)he supposedly had been in a quarrel with. (S)he then started asking me to link pictures from this latter person’s Facebook account because (s)he wasn’t friended with this person. I found that highly suspicious and said I couldn’t see any pictures and I had no idea what (s)he was talking about. This was apparently enough for me to cross the line and suddenly belong to the group of people this former person identified as ‘not friends’. (S)he told me (s)he had nude photos of the alleged person and that (s)he would link them in cannithtrade. This obviously stirred some commotion in the channel, people starting to turn the channel into an arena in hopes of some bloodshed. A few seconds later, the person who threatened to link the pictures went ahead and did so from another character. Personally I didn’t copy-paste the pictures because image files can be embedded with keyloggers, and ddo does not offer authenticators. So I reported the character linking the image files for spam, a character, and maybe also account, that was not the same as the former character posing threats of revealing and embarrassing this person in his/her absence. (The person the photos were claimed to be of was not online). People’s reactions to these photos claimed some validity to the person’s claim about what was on the photos. Some people responded in a more humane fashion with outright contempt. Soon after this, another character logged on, once again a different name from the former two, this time the person started to ramble with delusional fantasies in cannithtrade about me and the person who was on the photos. Apparently this was payback for me reporting the previous character for posting pictures of another person. Of course I just reported this third avatar for harassment. When the first character then finally logged back on, and the two other characters, the one posting links to pictures and the one harassing me, were both logged off again, then I asked the person whom I for less than fifteen minutes ago thought of as my friend, a person I have had fun with in various raids, why (s)he did those things. (S)he played the spin-doctor card and denied to have any idea about all of the things that just happened, i.e. ‘(s)he was offline’ and dissociated from those characters. (Later, however, the person admitted from the original character that people ‘missed out on it’ when they wanted him/her to repost the pictures.) Three days later, the victim of this menacing rampage wrote to me on Facebook, accusing me of being in on the ploy. The question is, who wasn’t in on it? Those who laughed and asked for the pictures to be posted again? Those who reacted with dismay but didn’t do anything to stop it, i.e. report the person who was crusading? Just by witnessing everything that took place, some might even say I was one of the victims, I feel as guilty as a culprit myself. Even though I utilized all the tools ddo has available to control the wildfire, even though I did nothing along the lines of feeding this troll with information (s)he could use against the (fictive?) target, I feel horrible for entrusting him/her with the feelings I would towards a friend. It is sad to see how security and identity issues addressed more than twenty years ago are still on the line when you try to bridge the gap between the virtual and the real. It saddens me to see this sort of ghetto mentality where people believe it is a token of wit to “ruin some people’s lives”. And those were exactly the words the person offered when I said hi, long time no see, what are you up to and would you like to say hi on our Facebook page. What I thought was a joke turned out to be a nightmare and all I have left to ask is what people hope to achieve with this.
    Kalinixta, Cannith Server! Apple of my eye, light of my life, lego of my heel.

First and foremost, I must say LUL. If you're going to come onto the DDO forums all places and flamespam, at least get your story and facts right, but nice attempt to cover up all the malakas you caused for yourself. First off, the person you're flaming about on a public FORUM even was never your friend so I don't know where you pulled that one out, nor did they ever ask you for pictures or information of any kind. Secondly, this kind of stuff generally tends to happen when you go outside of your marriage and get your knickers in a twist over a female who's caused worlds of drama for years on this server and then go and get yourself involved with her, PUBLICLY even with messages on both Cannith, cannithtrade and Facebook (Your exact words in cannithtrade after Lashes HERSELF posted bra pictures in the channel of her own will being "you wish you could divorce your wife and send her a plane ticket", and then proceed to have an online whatever-you-might-call-it instead of reporting her for offensive material? How's that for classy and honest.) And then to make matters worse, you begin to systematically whisper EVERYONE responding who was online in the channel at that time accusing them of being the poster or Lashes herself, how many people did you end up falsely reporting that day I wonder? Thirdly, you never posted anything about anyone, you never had photos of anyone, ever. This was never a retaliation back at you, in fact this had nothing to do with you at all minus the fact you were just the unlucky sap who was wrapped around her finger at the time this all went down, you just made the mistake of letting us all know in a manner, that and the fact you're married and was apparently told your wife was going to get a copy of this, is this post another ruse to attempt to wiggle you out of what you've done to her as well? For shame. I hope for your sake you and your wife seek some kind of counseling because online is an infamously dangerous place for infidelity. I feel as guilty as a culprit myself. Well, you should, only those who have something to feel guilty about do so truly. You are a victim but by your own hand. You ruined your own life, just has countless others have, by letting yourself get involved with a person who's ship has been sinking for a very long, long time now. She brought everything upon herself and hilarity has ensued in the end. Cannith 4 Lyfe.

Also, Elizaban smells like rotten broccoli.
    Last edited by Googlybear; 05-05-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Community Member

I post links to my nude pictures all the time, but nobody clicks them.

Easier reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Googlybear View Post
    Kalinixta, Cannith Server! Apple of my eye, light of my life, lego of my heel.

First and foremost, I must say LUL. If you're going to come onto the DDO forums all places and flamespam, at least get your story and facts right, but nice attempt to cover up all the malakas you caused for yourself.

First off, the person you're flaming about on a public FORUM even was never your friend so I don't know where you pulled that one out, nor did they ever ask you for pictures or information of any kind.

Secondly, this kind of stuff generally tends to happen when you go outside of your marriage and get your knickers in a twist over a female who's caused worlds of drama for years on this server and then go and get yourself involved with her, PUBLICLY even with messages on both Cannith, cannithtrade and Facebook (Your exact words in cannithtrade after Lashes HERSELF posted bra pictures in the channel of her own will being "you wish you could divorce your wife and send her a plane ticket", and then proceed to have an online whatever-you-might-call-it instead of reporting her for offensive material? How's that for classy and honest.) And then to make matters worse, you begin to systematically whisper EVERYONE responding who was online in the channel at that time accusing them of being the poster or Lashes herself, how many people did you end up falsely reporting that day I wonder?

Thirdly, you never posted anything about anyone, you never had photos of anyone, ever. This was never a retaliation back at you, in fact this had nothing to do with you at all minus the fact you were just the unlucky sap who was wrapped around her finger at the time this all went down, you just made the mistake of letting us all know in a manner, that and the fact you're married and was apparently told your wife was going to get a copy of this, is this post another ruse to attempt to wiggle you out of what you've done to her as well? For shame.

I hope for your sake you and your wife seek some kind of counseling because online is an infamously dangerous place for infidelity.

I feel as guilty as a culprit myself. Well, you should, only those who have something to feel guilty about do so truly. You are a victim but by your own hand. You ruined your own life, just has countless others have, by letting yourself get involved with a person who's ship has been sinking for a very long, long time now. She brought everything upon herself and hilarity has ensued in the end. Cannith 4 Lyfe.

Also, Elizaban smells like rotten broccoli.
    I wanted to make the Secondly easier to read, but I just couldn't manage
    Last edited by fTdOmen; 05-06-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Community Member

Cool

Soooo. I guess it all comes down to one question.

Where are the pics?

Of course. If I met a girl at a bar who showed me some sexy pictures of herself, I would say the same. If my wife was next to me when I said it, as she were, sitting in the same couch as me, she would elbow me and probably counter: "Who would want an old fart like you." And after that probably either kiss me and/or send me to do the dishes. If my wife wasn’t with me at that bar, if I was out with the lads and we were looking for trouble, I would probably spend a lot more time flirting with her. Getting to know her, her person, what she liked, where she lived, what she did in her leisure time. There’s nothing wrong with that. But going from that and then to actually have a physical relationship with her, that’s something completely different. Just as it is if an eye witness to my flirt at the bar would show me and her pictures of different naked women on his or her iPhone and threaten us with sending them to everyone else at the bar and to my wife because we are having this conversation. What I see is a sick, jealous person who would like to do the same, flirt without getting involved, but obviously doesn’t know how to do it.

Community Member

This thread is way less epic than advertised.

This drama is missing Epic.

7/10 on the drama scale.
    1/10 on the epic scale.

It's as close to extortion as it gets without being it.

Either I misunderstood the term 'epic' or you live in a world where stuff like that is just a *shrug* :-)

Community Member ~swimmingjellycube's Avatar

Either I misunderstood the term 'epic' or you live in a world where stuff like that is just a *shrug* :-)
    Don't you remember,

Epic was redefined to be:

Anything above level 20

This thread only contains a level 3 drama.