Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Paladin tank build?

I really wanted to be a tank. I have been playing like 14 days now, my first life was a paladin with 2 fighter ranks(dorf).

I tr'd into a dorf Barb. I hate it.

I want to be a Paladin tank, but am unsure how to make one. I have learned a lot in the last 2 weeks. I get the avoidance vs mitigation thing.

I would love to be a dorf but am willing to go human if the benefits are that great.

I was thinking about high cha, dump str, good dex, ok con, and wis and int???

I am level 18, but still 2 or 3 days till I can tr if it's really 7 days in between.

I want to go sword and board, but want the high saves cause spells tear me apart these last 2 lives.

Cha will add saves, intimi, and smite damage.

I have +3 all stat tombs, and will start with a 36 point build next life. I plan on getting 25 and staying there for a long time if not ever with this guy.

I was thinking Balance, Intimidate, ?jump?, and ?spot or listen?.

No idea on enhancements, maybe +cha and toughness, and what ever else is needed to get to DoS line?

Maybe feats like shield mastery one and two, tower shield, and the rest is un certian.

I really hate being a drain on my groups. I played EQ for so many years in a hard core raiding guild. I played a cleric, and also a healer in wow and Swtor.

I cant find any decent builds to save my life and would greatly appreciate any help people could offer.
    Last edited by Croffer; 05-03-2013 at 04:01 AM.

I TR-ed my first-life pally into a DoS tank.

I didn't dump Str, I basically dumped Int. You need a minimum 10 WIS for spells, max CHR, and try to balance STR and DEX. You can probably dump DEX and pump INT for the skill points, but I'm not sure how far that will get you.

The optimum for being a tank with a DoS is going Sword and Board (sword and shield) as you will be focusing on maximizing PRR, AC along with HP. You will, however, undercut yourself with DPS. A lot of people recommend taking the THF feat for cleave and power attack - that is a bit of a controversial issue. I decided not to go that route. I have some problems with self-healers, but the fact that my saves are high and they have a problem damaging me in melee (coupled with smart tactics) thy end up being annoying at best.

Human is a good class for a Paladin Tank as Human Improved Recovery enhancements are fairly essential for maximizing each heal. I dump all level-up stats into CHR, and work with building up my smites through enhancements. I also took Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Mastery, Tower Shield profeiciency, and Khopesh for feats. I'm sorta ambivalent on using a Khopesh. Again, I hear people tellimg be that Bastard Swords are better because of glancing blows, and then others claiming Khopesh for the crits. So, your mileage may vary on this. I'm at an impasse as to whether I want to focus on Sunder or Trip. Neother one is real effective for my toon at present, as most save on the attempt. I think I might go Trip as the mobs don't do damage while prone (though, curiously enough, they seem to heal themselves just fine), but given that Trip is a STR-based feat, I'm not shue how effective boosting that ability will be. We shall see.

Skill-wise, you're going to want to increase Intim whenever possible, and UMD if you can do that. Balance is another one you might want to consifer putting points into.

Community Member

Thats what I was basically thinking.

I am just unsure about the strength. I was thinking wis and int would be better for saves and the enhancement points.

I am now one bubble away from 20. So I guess I will pick human. Now the whole bastard sword vs khopesh thing... I was thinking about just using a long sword and saving the feat for some thin else.

Thank you for your input.

First I want to say welcome to the World of Tanking, it is a long road but it can be worth the journey.

Starting Attributes STR/DEX/CON/INT/WIS/CHR

Personally I recommend a 15/16 starting str

Dexterity is a bit trickier because this is based more on your builds ability to Expand on its Max Dexterity Bonus. So what armor you plan on wearing Heavy/Medium/Light, build classes and attributes and even Race have a determining factor. What I recommend is to take what gear you currently have available to figure out what ADDITIONAL Dexterity bonus you are capable of. Then look at your Race and see if it has the ability to help with your MDB (Example Fighter Dilettante for Half-Elf) and what you are willing to Spend to get the bonus. Basically Work backwards, figure out what your MDB potential is and then figure out what your starting DEX would need to be to meet that MDB.

Constitution I would recommend starting at 14 minimum - 16 is optimal

Intelligence your goal should be to have at a minimum of a 13 so that you can qualify for Combat Expertise. I will say that at the Epic Levels CE saw such little use on my part that I traded it out for Cleave (to take advantage of Legendary Dreadnaught Epic Destiny) I still had defensive stance as a fall back for some AC bonus if AC became important. At the heroic levels AC from CE mattered in enough quests to keep it as an option.

Skills I recommend:
    Intimidate - Obvious you are a tank and any skill that makes stuff hate you more is a good thing

Concentration - You could take quicken, but one of the advantages of being a Heavy Armor tank with Shield is PRR which can significantly reduce incoming damage and because many of the long casting spells are low level on a Paladin a decent Concentration means you can cast while in combat.

Balance - A moderate investment here can mean less time prone and not filling your role as a tank

UMD - There are many useful buffs that can help you as a tank as well as utility spells.
    Some Examples:

Masters Touch - Not effected by Arcane Spell Failure - Good for giving you Tower Shield Proficiency - A 10 UMD is enough for 50% and this buff lasts until you rest/death so a good enter the dungeon after rest shrine buff

Fireshield - Bit higher UMD requirement but lasts 1.5 minutes for 50% reduction in Cold or Fire damage - Its not as good as Evasion but with Paladin saves 1/4 to 1/2 damage is much better than 1/2 to Full damage.

Tenser's Transformation - Still a bit higher of a UMD requirement, but this can be a boost to your strength, it is a short buff so is better if it can be used during the pause just before you engage.

Wisdom is subjective - Reason I say this is because a Paladin needs a Minimum of 14 Wisdom to cast level 4 spells. This can be achieved by starting with an 8 wisdom and using a +6 Wisdom item which must be worn while casting level 4 spells. Each additional point added to Wisdom or Tome bonus means less dependency on a Wisdom item.

Charisma is dependent on what you are planning on using it for. I actually don't recommend MAX. Example if the goal is to use Divine Might IV you want a Base + Tome Charisma of 20. Keep in mind that Charisma bonus does help power Smites and Lay on Hands, but even these are limited so while you want these good enough for nice burst damage, you don't want to wait around 1.5 minutes before you can have another effective attack.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Charisma is dependent on what you are planning on using it for. I actually don't recommend MAX. Example if the goal is to use Divine Might IV you want a Base + Tome Charisma of 20. Keep in mind that Charisma bonus does help power Smites and Lay on Hands, but even these are limited so while you want these good enough for nice burst damage, you don't want to wait around 1.5 minutes before you can have another effective attack.

Now this is where I am foggy.

My last 2 lives, spells ate me. like fireball and acid cloud. Traps too.

I was under the impression that at level 2 Paladins have their cha add to all of their saves.

Now anyone in plate with shield block can tank physical attacks and kite if intimi tanking, the real tanking I want is to be able to take casters too, not casters you cant kite.

Thats why I was gonna max cha and bank on the bonus to saves, plus dex for reflex and wis for will.

Now out of 20 groups I get into, I can say maybe 3 out of those really wouldn't benefit from having some one tank and keep mobs in place and letting dps do their job while helping healers save mana.

So I am not all that worried about my dps and str, while I understand that you need a certian amout of hate tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Croffer View Post
    I would love to be a dorf but am willing to go human if the benefits are that great.
    Humans are generally seen as the best choice for pally tanks: extra feat, up to 30% racial heal amp, and Versatility for extra burst DPS; plus Adaptability helps you even out any odd stats. Dwarves have -2 CHA (which is important to pallies) and axes are one of the worst choices for pally weapons because of the crit range. That said, I don't dwarves make bad pally tanks, they're just not optimal.

You can make a pure pally tank, but I prefer a monk or ftr 2 splash; the extra feats really help out, as does Evasion if you have monk unlocked.

Here's one example of a pally tank based on your criteria:
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    Code:
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 25 Lawful Good Human Female
    (18 Paladin \ 2 Monk \ 5 Epic) 
    Hit Points: 441
    Spell Points: 260 
    BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
    Fortitude: 26
    Reflex: 19
    Will: 17

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (36 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 25)
    Strength             17                    26
    Dexterity            11                    14
    Constitution         16                    19
    Intelligence         10                    13
    Wisdom                8                    11
    Charisma             15                    18

Tomes Used
    +1 Tome of Strength used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Constitution used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 3
    +1 Tome of Charisma used at level 3
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7
    +3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Dexterity used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Intelligence used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Wisdom used at level 11
    +3 Tome of Charisma used at level 11

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 25)
    Balance               0                    20
    Bluff                 2                     9
    Concentration         7                    35
    Diplomacy             2                     9
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                2                     9
    Heal                 -1                     6
    Hide                  0                     7
    Intimidate            6                    34
    Jump                  3                    13
    Listen               -1                     5
    Move Silently         0                     7
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair                0                     6
    Search                0                     6
    Spot                 -1                     5
    Swim                  3                    13
    Tumble                n/a                   8
    Use Magic Device      4                    20

Level 1 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
    Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
    Feat: (Selected) Shield Mastery

Level 2 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack

Level 3 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 4 (Paladin)
    Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Berserker's Fury

Level 7 (Paladin)
    Enhancement: Paladin Armor Class Boost I
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
    Enhancement: Human Versatility I
    Enhancement: Paladin Courage of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Focus of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good I
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Righteousness I
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Sacrifice I
    Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite I
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil II
    Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
    Enhancement: Paladin Toughness II
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might I

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Monk)
    Feat: (Monk Bonus) Combat Expertise
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery II
    Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery III
    Enhancement: Human Versatility II
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good II
    Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good II
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II
    Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys II
    Enhancement: Paladin Devotion I
    Enhancement: Paladin Devotion II
    Enhancement: Paladin Devotion III
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might II

Level 15 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Great Cleave

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Paladin)
    Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
    Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
    Enhancement: Paladin Bulwark of Good III
    Enhancement: Paladin Resistance of Good III
    Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands III
    Enhancement: Paladin Defender of Siberys III
    Enhancement: Paladin Devotion IV
    Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might III

Level 21 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 22 (Paladin)

Level 23 (Paladin)

Level 24 (Paladin)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 25 (Paladin)

Skills: in case it isn't clear, I maxed out Intim, UMD, and Concentration; I used the monk skill pts for a rank of Tumble and the rest in Balance.

Because of the feat shortage on paladins, you have to make some tough choices about what to squeeze in. For me the must-haves on S&B tanks are: Power Atk, Imp Crit, Shield Mastery & ISM, and either Toughness or barb PL. After that, it depends on what you wand to add:
    • Cleave & GC are your primary AoE atks; they also open up Lay Waste & Momentum Swing in Legendary Dreadnaught as well as Overwhelming Crit as an epic option (though I didn't take it here).
    • The THF feats (combined w/b.sword or d.axe prof.) improve your glancing blows when S&B or 2Hing.
    • Combat Expertise boosts your AC; it also boosts your PRR w/Imp CE from LD.
    • Adding Quicken, Emp Heal, and/or Maximize would boost your self-healing; particularly useful if you've got a Raiyum Torc and/or Con Opp GS item to regen SPs on hits.
    • Force of Personality would boost your Will saves.
    • Adding Dodge with boost your Dodge %; combine w/Mobility item & other gear for 15% Dodge total.

As you can see, I focused mostly on DPS feats, but also added CE for those rare times when you need to max your AC+PRR. If you wanted the metamagics, I would drop the THF chain for Quik, Emp Heal (also boosts Rejuvenation Cocoon), and Max (or maybe Overwhelming Crit if you want to offset the DPS loss from not having THF chain). Or you could drop CE & skip AC entirely, which frees a slot for OC; but that requires rearranging feats a bit.

Likewise, enhs are pretty tight because DoS costs a lot of APs, so again there are tradeoffs. You could, e.g., drop Devotion or heal amp for more Versatility or Extra / Exalted Smite; basically trading self-heals for more burst DPS.
    Last edited by Fleckislaupir; 05-04-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Community Member

Wow.

Wow.

Heh, thank you very much. >;O)

You're welcome. Oh, but I forgot the obligatory link to Junts's pally thread; a bit outdated, but still an useful resource for any pally player.

Part of what I like about the pal 18 / monk 2 combo is the versatility; you can shift focus just by switching gear & stance. Mostly fighting casters? Slip into some light armor for Evasion, equip a 2H weapon, switch on Power Atk, and go smack some mages senseless. Need to max out your AC & PRR for a boss fight? Switch to heavy armor w/ tower shield (UMD Master's Touch scroll for prof.) & switch on Combat Expertise w/Imp CE. You can't have everything all at once, but you can make a pretty self-sufficient melee toon who can change tactics on the fly.
    The Once and Future unbongwah

Community Member ~swimmingjellycube's Avatar

What in the world is a dorf?

Also, don't dump strength on a tank. Intimidate will not hold aggro forever, so you need to be able to do enough damage to keep the monster's aggro.

Since you have +3 tomes, you probably want 10 int, so that you can qualify for combat expertise.

You said that you don't want to be a drain on your group; If you don't have enough damage, then you will be a drain simply because somebody else could do more damage, and be more useful in content where a tank is not needed. Most current content doesn't require a tank.

You probably want 16 each of str, cha, con

For feats: you'll want the shield feats if you plan on tanking with a shield. You probably want tower shield proficiency from somewhere. You can use UMD to scroll cast master's touch, and this is a less feat intensive option.
    Something like http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Madstone_Aegis will automatically give you proficiency.

Also, 14 days and you've TRed and gotten up to lvl 18?

Community Member

Just hit level 6 >;O)

Dorf = Dwarf, but i chose a human this time.

I ended up maxxing cha 8( 10 int 14 con 12 dex 8 wis, 36 point build.

Got tower, shield, dodge and some thing else.

Every level been maxxing jump, balance, umd and... oh ya, intimidate.

So far I can already see a huge difference in saves and agro control.

Without using potions, just spells, doing elites, I have yet to run into a problem staying alive (except the occasional trap).

But my hireling has a larger kill count then me most of the times i have pulled them out in groups.

I just hope it stays the same or gets better the higher level I get.

BUT... I also made another paladin going with the build above, altho he's only level 4 8( But I have a feeling he will be more fun to level.

UMD roxxors... glad i picked it. Have already gottten useful wands, like invis. And with the hig cha, i have a great chance for them to work.

The only bad thing is DoS seems to not leave much room for any other ideas in enhancements, but i'm fine with that.

At least my auras will be good for the group heh. And I have found myself not only holding agro alot, but also healing people when needed.

The worst thing is that stupid training dummy.... My barb with his lev 20 axe could eat it in under 15 seconds easy, but now at 6, with a timeblade, it takes some time.

Community Member

Strength is important for the damage you can make (dps), and this is a game where dps is essencial for any all around build, especially at higher levels. Also, good tanks need a lot of gear for both damage mitigation, hate generation, hitpoints and damage output.

The splash i like the best is the Human Paladin 18/monk 2 for evasion with high saves against that nasty spells like delayed fire blast, meteor swarm, chain lighting, cometfal, etc.

Features: toughness, shield mastery, empower healing, Improve critical slashing, quicken spell, cleave, great cleave, improved shield mastery or bastard sword/dwarven axe proficiency, overwhelming critical (require 23 base str), epic toughness (require 21 base con)

Monk features: power attack, THF or another toughness

Base stats 34 pt build:

16 str +3 tome+4 ability raise =23
    12 dex
    16 con +3 tome+ 2 ability raise=21
    8 int
    10 wis
    15 cha +3 tome= 18

Enhancements prestige: defender of siberys

But keep in mind that you will need to have some decent gear to make a tank shine (if you dont have gear you might be dissapointed with the dps and even the self suficiency of the build)

You will need gear for: Heavy fortification (exceptional fortification for epic levels), superior false life, toughness, saves (resistance item, major luck, superior parrying, etc), strength, dexterity, constitution, wisdom, charisma (including exceptional and insightful bonuses for str, con and cha), armor class, dodge, incorporeal and concealment bonuses (protection, natural armor, heighteness, dodge, ghostly, blurry etc), sp and devotion gear (like power/archmagi+ potency/devotion), a good shield, and of course a good S&B weapon (bastard sword, dwarven axe, longsword or another weapon you can use with the shield), and a THF weapon for when not using a shield.

You can get most of that from the auction house and some named sets not very hard to aquire, later can get some more dificult named items like gs, raid loot like Torc and conc opp, etc.

So as you can see, a tank is very gear dependant for high levels (the good thing is that tanks are good for low levels as long as you know how to control your aggro and heals and dr breakers of some enemies).

Goals to aim for end level: 1100+ Hp (with Legendary dreadnougth destiny), 100+ Prr (on light armor and evasion mode), 100+ ac (on evasion mode), decent dps for dps slot filling, high intimidate and hate generation, decent self healing (250+ quickened csw heals plus 100+ quickened rejuvenation cocoon ticks+ lay of hands), 60+ saves, 140+ fortification.
    Last edited by elcagador; 05-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Croffer View Post
    Now this is where I am foggy.

My last 2 lives, spells ate me. like fireball and acid cloud. Traps too.

I was under the impression that at level 2 Paladins have their cha add to all of their saves.

Now anyone in plate with shield block can tank physical attacks and kite if intimi tanking, the real tanking I want is to be able to take casters too, not casters you cant kite.

Thats why I was gonna max cha and bank on the bonus to saves, plus dex for reflex and wis for will.

Now out of 20 groups I get into, I can say maybe 3 out of those really wouldn't benefit from having some one tank and keep mobs in place and letting dps do their job while helping healers save mana.

So I am not all that worried about my dps and str, while I understand that you need a certian amout of hate tanking.
    Don't quote me on this, but save on stuff like fireball and acid rain are reflex-based, and thereby DEX-based. As a tank, you'll be armored-up to the hilt with stuff that generally limits your available DEX. So, your only choices at this point are to maximize PRR, which limits hws much damage you take per hit (this is where shields come in) and wear stuff that will maximize your elemental resists as much as possible.

Your other saves are going to be on stuff like enchantment, fortitude, and so on. That's where your CHR is going to come into play.

Quote Originally Posted by bsquishwizzy View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but save on stuff like fireball and acid rain are reflex-based, and thereby DEX-based. As a tank, you'll be armored-up to the hilt with stuff that generally limits your available DEX. So, your only choices at this point are to maximize PRR, which limits hws much damage you take per hit (this is where shields come in) and wear stuff that will maximize your elemental resists as much as possible.

Your other saves are going to be on stuff like enchantment, fortitude, and so on. That's where your CHR is going to come into play.
    the DEX limitation only apply to armour class.

regardless of armour, you still get full DEX bonus on saves, skills and ranged attacks (melee if for some warped reason your using a light weapon with weapon finesse)
    Shortling (20 rogue) wither others leveling. "One Dwarf Army"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthesponge View Post
    well a clown getting violated by a rabid duck may be sillier, but not by much.

Hey there OP, I have just a few comments (I've been playing Paladin tanks forever it seems):

-In the current game, your highest stat should be strength for the best bonus to hit & damage, and only just enough charisma to qualify for the tier of Divine Might that you want. So it's probably not the best idea to max your charisma out as your DPS will suffer (i.e. less points available for strength). However, it looks like this will change with the enhancement pass due to the change in divine might (which will give you a strength bonus based on your charisma bonus). So just a FYI.

-Be open to the idea of going either S&B or a more DPS focused style (THF or TWF), based on the situation. Sometimes I find you take less damage by killing the enemy faster, so a DPS mode might be better. Sometimes you want to go S&B because the party is taking lots of damage and you want to pull aggro to yourself. You will need to judge your current build and the current situation to determine what is best to use.

-At lower levels, consider going Hunter of the Dead instead of Defender of Siberys. You'll be fighting lots of undead and the extra healing amp and bonuses vs undead are nice (ex. ghost tough). Hunter of the Dead II will give you more healing amp and immunity to level drain (great against beholders). Generally, I don't look at switching over to Defender of Siberys until I'm level 15-16 or so. Based on where you are in your build, what gear you have available, DoS or Hunter may be better for you, but I just advise taking a look at it.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Paladin - Sarlona
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler - Sarlona
    Vyyndar Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin - Argo

Any chance of someone posting a very basic end game gear set (~level 20) based on what you could farm quickly from things like farming BTA gear on any toon, comm gear, cannith crafted fill-in items, stuff that you can likely get eNorm versions of by pulling from chain lists or eHard from farming runs, etc. Baby's first epic tanking gear set up handed down from an older sibling.

And then another list showing choicer level 23-25 "top end" and raid gear as the sort of gear you should be farming for baby to grow into.

Quote Originally Posted by eachna_gislin View Post
    Any chance of someone posting a very basic end game gear set (~level 20) based on what you could farm quickly from things like farming BTA gear on any toon, comm gear, cannith crafted fill-in items, stuff that you can likely get eNorm versions of by pulling from chain lists or eHard from farming runs, etc. Baby's first epic tanking gear set up handed down from an older sibling.

And then another list showing choicer level 23-25 "top end" and raid gear as the sort of gear you should be farming for baby to grow into.
    I really like making gear lists, but I haven't played a pally/tank, and I'm half asleep so I might've missed something XD

Easy to get gear that's usable at lvl 20
    Head: PDK helm (con7, str2, intim15, set bonus)
    Neck: Golden guile base (lvl17) (imprv deception, dusk, +15 diplo/bluff) ..can also be made epic(lvl20).
    Trinket: Not sure... maybe lvl 14 kardins eye (+5 resistance, 4ac(insight))
    Cloak: GS, 45hp of smoke
    Gloves: PDK gloves (30% heal amp, ex.con2, str7, set bonus)
    R1: epic ring of the buccaneer T1 or T2..( dex6-7. luck 1-2, underwater action, protection +5)
    Bracers: fabricators bracers (15balance, 20%incite, alchemical proc:+4str&con, 5%dubstike, 2ac (30sec))
    Armor: PDK armor(hvy fort, SFL, dr5, set bonus)
    Goggles: drow smoke (6seeker, blindness immunity, manslayer)
    Boots: Cannith boots (striding, jump, propulsion clicky)
    Belt: lvl 14 arkats cord (toughness/vitality, slot wisdom+6)
    R2: Signet of the Shining Sun (Cha +7, Wis+2(insight), Superior Healing Lore)

twf:
    weapon- Uh.. maybe the oathblade from pdk comm turnins? I have never tried it, but it looks pretty cool.
    sheild- Bijio (+5 Large Shield: Purple Slot, Proof/Poison/Disease +6, Fire Absorption 20%, Empower Healing I, Devotion +72) (sheild of legends necro turn in)

thf: eaga, x3pos maul, epic elemental greataxe of fire

------------------

Higher level stuff
    Head: eh Black dragon helm Str+3(insight). slot 14prr & Globe
    Neck: ee Jorgundals collar, 15%melee alacrity,30%striding. slot Con+2(insight) & resistance+7
    Trinket: Planar focus of prowess (Con+8, set bonus w/ citw weapon)
    Cloak: GS, 45hp of smoke
    Gloves: eh Nether Grasps (8-10seeker), 2profane str.
    R1: Ring of deceit (Cha+8, imprv deception, +20 bluff,diplo,haggle,perform (upgrade 1=yellow slot, 2=colorless)
    Bracers: Greater Convalecent bracers of supperior parrying (30%hmap & +4insight to saves) Or the 20% version if you have wall of wood.
    Armor: Flawless black, slot hvy fort.
    Goggles: eh inticite feild optics (3cha, true seeing, 20spot. slot wisdom & goodluck +2)
    Boots: Halcyon boots (8dex, striding30, potency 80, sp regen. upgrade 1=yellow slot, 2=colorless)
    Belt: eh giants brawn (str+8. slot toughness aka vitallity & GFL)
    R2: Signet of the Shining Sun (Cha +7, Wis+2(insight), Superior Healing Lore).. for the lore i guess. you could get something nicer tough. Upgraded circle of hatred form abbot gives 30% incite, or a ToD ring with 20% heal amp, i dunno..

twf:
    weapon- Something from citw w/ unlocked set bonus
    sheild- eh wall of wood ( +7, Natural Armor Bonus +6, Healamp30%, Shield Bashing 20%, Devotion +114, DR 15/Slash)

thf: cleaver, eaga, x3pos maul, epic elemental greataxe of fire
    Orien
    | Klorox | Suppressor | Vellien | Knost | & more |
    ~ Youtube ~ DDO Adventures ~

what do you guys think about http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Epic_Chimera%27s_Fang
    i dont see any dragonmarks in your builds and to get all the good stuff from this bastard sword i need at least one... is it doable?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

First off, this thread predates the U19 Enhancement overhaul, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Second, eFang used to be the best b.sword in DDO; nowadays though the nicest things you can say about it are (A) it's not hard to farm (just tedious), (B) it's got some decent consolidation of bonuses, and (C) if you slot it with good it's a decent DR breaker (altho eRetribution w/silver augment is probably better DPS). With the changes to Dragonmarks, I'm not sure how eFang works now; but I presume you need the full DM enhs to get full bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    First off, this thread predates the U19 Enhancement overhaul, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Second, eFang used to be the best b.sword in DDO; nowadays though the nicest things you can say about it are (A) it's not hard to farm (just tedious), (B) it's got some decent consolidation of bonuses, and (C) if you slot it with good it's a decent DR breaker (altho eRetribution w/silver augment is probably better DPS). With the changes to Dragonmarks, I'm not sure how eFang works now; but I presume you need the full DM enhs to get full bonuses.
    yeah, its hard to get full bonus but im ok with only two dragonmarks. the thing i like about that sword is that gives me bsword proficiency so i dont have to spend a feat wich means i can trade bsword prof for DM.
    but i was wondering will this sword give me enough amount of dps.
    and another feat i would like to trade for another DM is toughness cause i can live without those +30Hp and a good gear can replace that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast