Community Member

Default First TR need input please..

My wife and I have just started playing again after years of being away. The game is just fantastic other than all the lag, we are having a blast. We run pretty much all duo we just got our first toons to 20 and we were going to TR for the first time. We wanted to switch the roles around a bit, this run I had an Artificer and she ran a Favored Soul. She wants to run a rogue and I was thinking either Monk pure light, or Pally/Fighter.

So the problem I am having is she knows just what she wants and we have her all figured out, but I cannot decide which to play I know very little about either choice. As I understand it Light Monks can tank a bit and heal but they also have the ability to deal good dps. I know Paladins have strong aura's can twf very well and with 6 to 8 levels of fighter or maybe even 6 fighter and 2 rouge. Will be able deal some damage, intimidate and wear heavy armor sounds good for our duo.

So if anyone out there has any input on either of these choices, more in the way of details of which would bring the dps and survivability needed to make our duo work. Would the Monks ability to heal early make a big difference? How is the damage mitigation compared between the two, monks wis and dex with alot of dodge, Paladin heavy armor with enhancements to have much more dex mod on heavy armor. Basically anything you could think of that would better define the two roles so I may be better informed on which would be best and hopefully fun. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry I misread. Your wife is handling traps, you are not, correct?

If she goes rogue, I suggest some kind of healing class so that you can keep her up without needing to drag along hirelings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by Soraksis View Post
    She wants to run a rogue and I was thinking either Monk pure light, or Pally/Fighter.

So if anyone out there has any input on either of these choices, more in the way of details of which would bring the dps and survivability needed to make our duo work. Would the Monks ability to heal early make a big difference? How is the damage mitigation compared between the two, monks wis and dex with alot of dodge, Paladin heavy armor with enhancements to have much more dex mod on heavy armor. Basically anything you could think of that would better define the two roles so I may be better informed on which would be best and hopefully fun. Thanks.
    Do you guys have a long term plan for the characters, or are you just playing through and trying to have fun and seeing what comes? Do you want to go on and run some epics? Are you gonna TR when you hit 20? Are you playing exclusively duo, or occasionally pugging? What BTC gear do you already have that you can use in the next life?

What do you enjoy? Monks involve a lot more button-mashing or paying attention to cooldowns and attack-combinations. I found it getting quite complicated and taking some getting used to. Paladins not so much, but much less variety in their attacks. I haven't played much Monk since the enhancement pass... but I remember reading it was harder to be a light monk nowadays than before..? Something about some of the old "Shintao" attacks not counting as "light" any more...

For the early levels, you can very well get by with the potions of cure serious... after a TR you should have enough plats to fit yourselves out.

Have you considered a Clonk? I always wanted to play one.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0

Quote Originally Posted by AlmGhandi View Post
    Have you considered a Clonk? I always wanted to play one.
    That's a solid suggestion. Wish I'd thought of it...

EDIT: This kinda reads snarky to me, but it's not intended that way. Clonk never occurred to me. Guy says he maybe wants to try monk, I say try something with healing ability, and it never occurred to me to suggest a clonk. Doh!

I'll throw in Pastlifenmo as a suggestion. (google it)

It's a 9druid/2monk/9x past life template.

The basic build provides you with acceptable melee, acceptable healing, some nice buffs.
    If you're planning on doing lots of TR's the build scales really well with gear.

Community Member

Well first I want to say thanks for all the responses and second I have no idea what a clonk is. My guess is a mix of cleric and monk? if that is the case cool only thing is I wouldn't have a clue how to go about making one as far as level splits and feats. I heard druid monks can really be pretty strong but I havent even looked at the druid and have no idea how to make one much less a druid/monk multi any tips on that?

Thought I would also add a bit more info, we have been running duo exclusively and bringing hirelings doesnt bother us at all. We have run with hirelings this whole first run they really do help take a load off. So if we end up not having heals ourselves so be it we have our hirelings but if we could get a little bit of healing in for ourselves it helps a bit, and I will accept suggestions that have me ending up with some heals. Really how we play now is we are both more dps focused than anything else. She can heal some and so can I, after our TR we aren't worried much about heals because we can potion and wand ourselves and our hirelings can keep us up for the most part. I guess what I am looking for is a toon that is fun to play can take a bit of a beating can dish it out and maybe heal a bit but does not have to be able to heal.

Clonks are typically 18/2 cleric/monk with max wisdom. Monks get stunning fist, whose DC is based off your wisdom modifier. As are all cleric spells. Running in water stance also gives a free +2 wisdom. The synergy is quite effective.

I don't know the standard clonk build specifics, though. If you did go the clonk route, would you prefer melee or casting? From the old threads I've found so far, it appears you have to choose one. Trying to focus on both makes both suffer.

I'm actually clonk-curious myself, so I posted this thread to try and get a handle on how it works.

Community Member

I would most likely go with melee I have dabbled with the casting thing but I feel more comfortable with the melee stuffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTBt7oar9w

Quote Originally Posted by Soraksis View Post
    I would most likely go with melee I have dabbled with the casting thing but I feel more comfortable with the melee stuffs.
    Well... if you are just planning to go to 20 and TR again maybe... and your running partner is playing a rogue... you are going to want someone that can keep the aggro so the rogue can take advantage of their sneak attack damage... (there is not much worse than being a rogue and getting the aggro!).

What we did with a rogue is... BARD.
    No joke. After the enhancement change the warchanter bard got for us more interesting. Masters Touch as a spell for the lower levels... UMD later for all the scrolls (raise) and wands (stoneskin) you could want. If you concentrate the spellcasting mostly on buffs... with songs for buffs... and crowd control for emergencies (fascinate... otto... and whilst they are dancing they are vulnerable to sneak attacks!)

If you are running in a static group then I highly recommend it! Don't go in without an actor!!!

There are only a few classes that can use the wands. And there are only a few classes that can get enough UMD easily to use the wands at an appropriate time.
    kruemeli of Orien - Leader of the "Merry" Hobbits https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...20#post5002220
    It is okay to be "merry": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjOOKb-DFZs
    I just Keep quiet and think.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYP8M06A8W0