Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Community Member marciosilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ForumAccess View Post
    After reading this, I realized that everything else that followed would be absolutely clueless.
    Such a pesimist

    I've tried the other titles I've mencioned before (Aion, Dragon Nest, Rohan) and didn't feel the same whole of options in character customization. DDO has a whole bunch of them, one of the best features of it, I'm aware of that. Comparing Tera with it, I'd say it has less options than DDO, but we can still make lots of different looks in out toon.

    Now take a look at the other games I told you, some only have 3 or 4 hair styles and colors, and face details simply don't exist.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

  2. #22
    Community Member ~Lexey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Okay, so I am only going by screenshots, but I have no desire to play Tera. I remember reading complaints about DDO and female character design (including how gear looks). As far as Tera goes though, let me just say I didn't feel comfortable looking at the screenshots while at work. Looks like Tera was designed with 12 year old boys in mind.

  3. #23
    Community Member Trillea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    I have played DDO since the original beta and during my break for the past year was a guild leader in TERA. So needless to say, I have decent insight on both games. FWIW, TERA and DDO are both great games. Yes, the outfits for TERA are more risque, but not to the point of say, Scarlet Blade. It is F2P, and the combat system parallels DDO in many ways - the fast action-based combat, the party sizes (it has 5-man parties for the dungeons mostly), and I have to admit that the way they hide the loading screens is very ingenious.

    Where it falls short though is definitely in the lack of versatility on character creation. I am not talking about the way your character looks, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the way of multiclassing on a character. If you take DDO, take its classes (Pally = Lancer, Wiz/Sorc = Sorc, Cleric = Priest, Ranger = Archer or Warrior, Barb = Berserker, Druid = Mystic, Fighter = Warrior or Slayer) and then make you ONLY take the pure class. No splashes, no PrEs, their version of Enhancement Points (glyphs) are available after lv 20. They are both fun, but the lack of choices brought me back to DDO. I still have yet to find a proper replacement. My wife is currently playing Neverwinter, but it does not look very appealing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

  4. #24
    Community Member marciosilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    I have played DDO since the original beta and during my break for the past year was a guild leader in TERA. So needless to say, I have decent insight on both games. FWIW, TERA and DDO are both great games. Yes, the outfits for TERA are more risque, but not to the point of say, Scarlet Blade. It is F2P, and the combat system parallels DDO in many ways - the fast action-based combat, the party sizes (it has 5-man parties for the dungeons mostly), and I have to admit that the way they hide the loading screens is very ingenious.

    Where it falls short though is definitely in the lack of versatility on character creation. I am not talking about the way your character looks, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the way of multiclassing on a character. If you take DDO, take its classes (Pally = Lancer, Wiz/Sorc = Sorc, Cleric = Priest, Ranger = Archer or Warrior, Barb = Berserker, Druid = Mystic, Fighter = Warrior or Slayer) and then make you ONLY take the pure class. No splashes, no PrEs, their version of Enhancement Points (glyphs) are available after lv 20. They are both fun, but the lack of choices brought me back to DDO. I still have yet to find a proper replacement. My wife is currently playing Neverwinter, but it does not look very appealing to me.
    Basicaly what I underlined, is something I do not miss from DDO. Its nice and fun, but I got really tired of splashes. Casters doing traps, Tanks evading mobs, a melee toon healing the others.... Sigh.. I prefer the uniqueness of each of our characters. But I understand your point, yes indeed. I can't tell you of another game with the multiclassing possibility other than DDO. I would easier feel the need of a trapper / rogue class in Tera, and a few traps to disarm and make people team up more often. But still, I feel it very playable and enjoyable.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

  5. #25
    Community Member Trillea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marciosilva View Post
    Basicaly what I underlined, is something I do not miss from DDO. Its nice and fun, but I got really tired of splashes. Casters doing traps, Tanks evading mobs, a melee toon healing the others.... Sigh.. I prefer the uniqueness of each of our characters. But I understand your point, yes indeed. I can't tell you of another game with the multiclassing possibility other than DDO. I would easier feel the need of a trapper / rogue class in Tera, and a few traps to disarm and make people team up more often. But still, I feel it very playable and enjoyable.
    Yes, it is playable and enjoyable. This is definitely a case of "to each their own." I like both games, and will probably still play TERA from time to time. Both fun, but people should know what is in store for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

  6. #26
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    I have played DDO since the original beta and during my break for the past year was a guild leader in TERA. So needless to say, I have decent insight on both games. FWIW, TERA and DDO are both great games. Yes, the outfits for TERA are more risque, but not to the point of say, Scarlet Blade. It is F2P, and the combat system parallels DDO in many ways - the fast action-based combat, the party sizes (it has 5-man parties for the dungeons mostly), and I have to admit that the way they hide the loading screens is very ingenious.

    Where it falls short though is definitely in the lack of versatility on character creation. I am not talking about the way your character looks, but there is absolutely NOTHING in the way of multiclassing on a character. If you take DDO, take its classes (Pally = Lancer, Wiz/Sorc = Sorc, Cleric = Priest, Ranger = Archer or Warrior, Barb = Berserker, Druid = Mystic, Fighter = Warrior or Slayer) and then make you ONLY take the pure class. No splashes, no PrEs, their version of Enhancement Points (glyphs) are available after lv 20. They are both fun, but the lack of choices brought me back to DDO. I still have yet to find a proper replacement. My wife is currently playing Neverwinter, but it does not look very appealing to me.
    In game's like Tera, the challenge lies within using the right skill at the right time (depending on range/position). The only way to be better than someone else is to be a more reactive player and not someone with a better build. Gear does matter but if you can dodge and anticipate 100% of the attack from a boss, it's not so important anymore. That's why in Tera they say "skill matters". At least I can confirm they make a huge difference having played top content at one time.

    Your insights aren't so good if you haven't even tried the game at all. It is very different and cannot even be compared to DDO. Tera is an awesome game to put a short amount of time/cash on (ie: it's really enjoyable as f2p) while DDO is a game with alot of content, also unique it's in own way and a much better choice if you're looking for a MMO to play over a long time. At least it used to be.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

    ...And then there was silence

  7. #27
    Community Member Trillea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    In game's like Tera, the challenge lies within using the right skill at the right time (depending on range/position). The only way to be better than someone else is to be a more reactive player and not someone with a better build. Gear does matter but if you can dodge and anticipate 100% of the attack from a boss, it's not so important anymore. That's why in Tera they say "skill matters". At least I can confirm they make a huge difference having played top content at one time.

    Your insights aren't so good if you haven't even tried the game at all. It is very different and cannot even be compared to DDO. Tera is an awesome game to put a short amount of time/cash on (ie: it's really enjoyable as f2p) while DDO is a game with alot of content, also unique it's in own way and a much better choice if you're looking for a MMO to play over a long time. At least it used to be.
    I don't know where you got that I haven't tried the game. I did try it, long before it was F2P. I have played it, I still play it, I probably will continue playing it on and off. I am just saying that it was good while I was taking a break from DDO, and it made me realize how deep and complex DDO is. So now here I am, back on the DDO game and forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

  8. #28
    Community Member Shorlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    In game's like Tera, the challenge lies within using the right skill at the right time (depending on range/position). The only way to be better than someone else is to be a more reactive player and not someone with a better build. Gear does matter but if you can dodge and anticipate 100% of the attack from a boss, it's not so important anymore. That's why in Tera they say "skill matters". At least I can confirm they make a huge difference having played top content at one time.

    Your insights aren't so good if you haven't even tried the game at all. It is very different and cannot even be compared to DDO. Tera is an awesome game to put a short amount of time/cash on (ie: it's really enjoyable as f2p) while DDO is a game with alot of content, also unique it's in own way and a much better choice if you're looking for a MMO to play over a long time. At least it used to be.
    He actually did say he played it. He was a guild leader....you even quoted that part.

    I have been playing TERA for a long time. I still prefer my white lion mount (although, the robotic walking table is totally awesome for one of my toons) over anything that is out there today. But no, it definitely does NOT have the character customization of DDO. Yes, you can make them LOOK different, but you are stuck with what you are. And while, yes, I do like the idea of everyone having a role, I like being able to play around as well. My current favorite character is a total gimp build, but I love it because it is fun to play. TERA is pretty to look at, has decent combat, and has great lore. It's a great "break game".

    Right now, I have three games screaming for my attention. DDO, Neverwinter and Marvel Heroes (great Diablo 3 style game with open beta this weekend!!!) Those will be my three games I think, with Tera being there whenever my wife wants to play (she prefers it over all the others....mainly because of the look and physics for the horse mounts...yes...she ahs spent hours riding her damn horses lol.)

    Anyway, I had a point, then started babbling....oh well....they are both good games, but in their own right.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

    Leader of The Dark Creed

  9. #29
    Community Member ~SystemIsDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    If I were going to have a third MMO (after LOTRO and DDO) it would most likely be Age of Conan. The graphics and combat are very good, and I'm a fan of the lore. Sounds like they are merging servers again, so I should probably get around to playing some more before the game disappears.

  10. #30
    Community Member ~NewForumNameGoesHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Interwebz
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Personally, I play DDO as my main MMO atm, and I love it. It is by far the best MMO I've ever played, as far as character customization goes. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to what we have as far as character customization atm. Sadly, it looks like they're trying to change this. For shame Turbine, for shame!

    When not playing DDO(Which was also my very first MMO) I like to play Minecraft, because I enjoy building things, and there are so many damn mods, different maps, ways to play the game that if you enjoy the graphics/game style you NEVER get tired of it. It can be played as so many different types of games it's pretty amazing tbh. FPS, RPG, MMORPG, Survival, a simple building game... the list goes on.

    I also frequented Final Fantasy XIV, and will be again once the servers go back up. This offers a different type of character customization than DDO, in that you only get 1 character slot to start out with, and you can buy more. And while you only have 1 toon, that one toon can be EVERY class in the game, and learn every skill there is to the highest degree. It has Class prestiges, and while you are ultimately limited to 1 basic "class" for any actual dungeon, or endgame boss fight, you have a number of slots for spells/abilities from other classes you have leveled up for some versatility and shallow multiclassing. Think of it like having a dille, but not as pronounced.

    Final Fantasy XIV also has some of the best damn graphic you will find on the market. Like all FF games, it's just ridiculous. It's quest system is.. unique. I can't even begin to explain what it was, or what it will be.. you'll have to do your own research on that.

    And that's it for what can be considered MMO's. I've yet to find one with the kind of gameplay/lore I like that also has the kind of amazing community DDO has. And because of this I still prefer regular RPG games, like FinalFantasy, Skyrim, and a few text based games. Although those are fewer than they used to be.

    Araphina - Ranger11/Monk6/Arti3(life 2/25) Arathaes - Monk 20(life 3/12)
    Arasin - Cleric17/Monk2/Wiz1(life 2/15) Aravein - Wizard12/Fighter6/Monk2(life2)
    "Dual wielding small animals is strictly forbidden." Fors Fortis @ Argo
    Original join date 2009 "TheLegendofAra"

  11. #31
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilbar View Post
    DDO feels old because it IS old! It's got seven operational years under its belt, with another one or two of development time. All told, it's close to a decade old, and that's practically Mesozoic in computer terms.
    This reasoning is a no-no in my book.

    DDO feels old because they haven't kept it up to date. If they revamped the UI and tweaked a few old and outdated mechanics it would boost its popularity a lot. I'm also playing a spaceships game which is 10 years old and feels new and fresh because the company behind it is constantly tweaking and improving it with a special focus on the little things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload