Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...

Question Why... But why...

I've long passed my "why is..." age, but it seems I'm having some questions now. They don't need to be replied, tough.

I'll just share my thoughts on these subjects. So what happens is, I've been playing DDO for some time now, and altough I only have 2 TRs (1 legend, 1 hero) and a few other first lifers, most of wich are 28 pt builds (2 are 32 pt builds), I do really enjoy playing it. I assume many veteran players have way more than this and spend a whole lot more time playing, when I do have a job I have limited time at the end of the day. Be it for the friendship with people I've virtually met, be it for the fun of playing dungeons with unknown and random people.

I started as a F2P, then started switching TPs and real money for character slots, shared bank, monk and arti classes, adventure packs, and lets say I've invested enough on the game to keep me interested, even with the bugs and problems the game has.

But then it comes a time when I feel I would like to try a different game, lets say, while DDO is on maintenance and we can't login. I'm not writing the name of the game I'm about to describe here, but I tell you it its not advertising (they don't pay me for this and you can try to guess it if you like), and I'm really amazed with it. I spent my whole day yesterday on it. I'll tell you what I saw:

- F2P with payment options. I am a free player at the moment. And I've been told there is no quest limit, closed areas, and the likes, for free players. Its possible to reach max character level being F2P. VIP options give access to more inventory space, special in-game items, and a whole lot of goodies I'm not tottally aware now. F2P players can pick whatever race/class combo, as there is no paid classes or races. The character customization is very good too, very similar to DDO.

- No loading screens. The only transition I've found was after selecting my character, the 0 - 100% loading bar and ocasional teleportation systems with almost no wait times. Other than that, I got to level my toon several times without 1 single loading screen (no doors, no dungeon entrances, no city gate clicks, etc.). Very immersive.

- Amazing graphics. They use an excelent (and well known) game engine, providing good graphics even on older systems, but using up the resources of high-end machines to our eyes delight.

- Fluid gameplay. I really loved the sorc spellcasting animations. Even if FPS drop a bit on that times (I could decrease graphics quality, but thats just me).

- In 12 hours with the game running, I did not had a single problem. I even Alt-tabbed to windows to check the printscreens I made, then get back to the game and kept playing. It shut itself off with no error a few times when I was trying to create my first toon, but after I entered the world propper, never had a crash after. Lag was the same (didn't feel lag at all, but then again, they could been having a good day, as I have days in DDO with no lag at all too). During the entire day on the same (highly populated server), did not have connection issues. Even the chat channel with lots of people, I didn't notice a thing.

- This is personnal, as I liked the user interface a lot. Very immersive but with all the necessary icons. Auto-hide menu, transparent and well integrated map, etc. Nothing new really, but well acomplished.

- Good Tutorial, expaining even the UI icons and things like that.

- This is minor, but greatly improves game immersion. Characters roam around the cities with their weapons sheathed. People talk to merchants in peace (there is no GIVE ME THAT ARMOR OR I CUT YOU LIKE A FISH feeling).

- They have a forum too. But I don't need to login every 2 minutes. And they also use vBulletin as the new DDO Forums.

Now maybe because I'm still new to that game, but I still feel its more easy for me to get a group in DDO.

But with this small list of details I've noticed, I could ask now. Why does DDO still feels clumbsy and "old"? Its not the game only, but the Forums are now too, clumbsy and lacking usability... If I haven't invested so much time (and money) in DDO, I would probably uninstall it and keep other MMOs in my computer.

Thing is, I have a relation of love/hate for DDO. I love the gameplay with friends, and even with random pugs, I love the variety I can get in all my toons (yes, 13 classes, altough I don't have all of them, I know there is still a lot to try out besides my 7 toons). But I hate the grinding mechanics, the game changes with every update that ruin some people builds and gear, etc.

At the moment I may take a 1 week or 2 break from the game, as I'm not feeling that urge to play DDO as I did before. I will log every once here and there to keep my toons "fresh" in the guild.

I know I will not be leaving DDO, as this happened before when I started to play Skyrim, then finished the main quest, did a few more, then got back again.

And I will also be looking at DDO Forums to see if they improve anything
    Last edited by marciosilva; 05-02-2013 at 05:17 AM.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Community Member

So what is this new game?

I'll have to do some independent checking to see if it's as good as you make out, of course. Can't check your story if we don't know what game you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi_of_Irian View Post

I'll have to do some independent checking to see if it's as good as you make out, of course. Can't check your story if we don't know what game you're talking about.
    I can tell you privately if you insist. But I just wanted to say "if other games do it, why can't DDO do it?".

I tried to post more specific facts and non-personal points (altough with some personal thinkings along).

There are dozens of MMOs out there, and I'm not arguing what is the best of them. What is good for me, may not be good for the others. I only described the aspects that, for myself, are more knocking over about DDO major and obvious faults.
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

I would like to know what game it is please. I'm always looking for alternatives since it is my opinion that DDO is on a downward spiral that it may not be able to pull out of. Thanks for any response.

The sleeper has awakened

Krakonos The Ancient One Guild leader of Guardians of the Game Khyber

KrakenHeads(L20 WF THF) Ftr, KrakenSkulzz(L20 WF TWF), KrakenKills(L24 Drow Assisin), Spydraxis, KrakenSouls(L25 Human Fvs), KrakenHealz(L24 Human Cleric), KrakenTunes(L18 Drow Bard/Crafter A150/D150/E150)

Community Member

LOL. Since Neverwinter Beta started Tuesday, I'm guessing it is that.
    Played it a bit already. Not like DDO, first because a different rule set and for the reasons listed above.
    I believe level cap is 60 from what I've read, and I got to Level 5 within an hour and a half - which is where you end up after the 5 or so "tutorial" quests.

Tried to do some research on a build, but then decided to just skim through character customization and started questing. I believe the customization options (except for visual appearances) were much less than DDO unless I'm on some "Path" like thing where it is making all my decisions.

I'm also the 16 hot bar type of player, which I believe is lacking, but again don't know anything for sure.
    Instead of trying to build perfect toon while it is beta figured I would just get going and enjoy the game.

/Note: Had to relog to post and now copying to make sure not logged out when I hit post.

/Update: Yep had to relog. Auto logged out in the time it took me to type that. How is forcing me to type my password every 5 minutes better security? In the old forums I never had to type my password, so no one could ever catch me typing it. Now I am constantly typing it. How is this better? More opportunities for MITM attacks...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaikob- View Post
    LOL. Since Neverwinter Beta started Tuesday, I'm guessing it is that.
    No its not Neverwinter, altough I tried to get a look at it. Is it P2P? I got the feeling it was only for subscribers/VIPs and such.

In fact, the game I was telling you about exists since quite some time, but only recently went F2P.

This topic could actually be a "guess the name of the game" game itself...
    [Ghallanda]

I would also like to know the name of the game, it's some times hard to find something I like playing because I can be very picky. Pm me if you want to!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by marciosilva View Post
    No its not Neverwinter, altough I tried to get a look at it. Is it P2P? I got the feeling it was only for subscribers/VIPs and such.

In fact, the game I was telling you about exists since quite some time, but only recently went F2P.

This topic could actually be a "guess the name of the game" game itself...
    There are many open world games (believe LOTRO is one) but the type of gameplay is vastly different. DDO is an instanced game for a reason. there are many like the Perfect World games that are entire continents that you roam around and fight without loading (besides teleporting) but the battle system and gameplay and such are so vastly different that it really cant be compared.

speaking of PWI (perfect world international) I've played a few of thier games, spent hundred of hours on their Perfect world game, and while it was fun at first. it quickly got boring once you get to a certain point. the quests were tedious (go colllect or kill X amount of things, or go retrieve something from somewhere far off and bring it back, etc) exp gain was tedious (gain per kill, with quests giiving some) things to do besides grind away were few and far between. Once you hit around lvl 80 there wasnt much to do unless you joined (manage to anyway) a group and did town sieges, which were only 1/week and at unusual times.

There are a number of different games out there like that, but the excitement wears off before long. NO other game that I've played has the customization options that DDO has, or the game play style. Now I havent played any of the recent MMORPG's so I cant comment on those, but from looking around it seems your talking about Aion, which video seemed like it'd be interesting, but after awhile would be like the PWI I gave above.

DDO feels old because it IS old! It's got seven operational years under its belt, with another one or two of development time. All told, it's close to a decade old, and that's practically Mesozoic in computer terms.

Okay, you can't hype a game like that and not tell us which one you are talking about

I'm actually looking for a new MMOG myself. Not because I want to leave DDO permanently, but just because I want to try out something new. Take a bit of a break. I actually installed Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 yesterday and gave them both a whirl (the former actually has great game mechanics, but OMG, the graphics! I can't get past the graphics in that game. And the latter is okay, it has better, but still very dated, graphics. But it lost most of the great mechanics that made AC1 such a great game). The day before yesterday I installed Rift (nope, not for me). So I'm definitely looking for something fresh and new.

I'd like to take a look at this game you are talking about. Is it Aion? I might have to install that one.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Okay, you can't hype a game like that and not tell us which one you are talking about

I'm actually looking for a new MMOG myself. Not because I want to leave DDO permanently, but just because I want to try out something new. Take a bit of a break. I actually installed Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2 yesterday and gave them both a whirl (the former actually has great game mechanics, but OMG, the graphics! I can't get past the graphics in that game. And the latter is okay, it has better, but still very dated, graphics. But it lost most of the great mechanics that made AC1 such a great game). The day before yesterday I installed Rift (nope, not for me). So I'm definitely looking for something fresh and new.

I'd like to take a look at this game you are talking about. Is it Aion? I might have to install that one.
    I recommend giving The Secret World a shot. It's a modern horror themed MMO and its really good. I also enjoy DC Universe Online. If fantasy is your exclusive gig, give Path of Exile a shot.

Community Member

It could be PWI as another pointed out, but there is some instancing when you enter a dungeon, but the whole world and towns are all open which is cool, but also annoying. Getting from one side of the map to another often meant clicking the place on your map and setting auto fly, getting up to go grab a coffee, coming back and watching yourself fly some more, getting another coffee and then finally getting there. Teleport points were added, but still a lot of wasted time getting to places. Before auto flying when it first came out Mr. Stapler on the forward key helped me a lot.

I started playing that in closed beta and loved it at first too. Made a bunch of toons, spent some money and then got bored and came here when this became FTP. It was a lot of traveling around killing X amount of a mobs, which at first was kind of exciting, but got old quickly. Imagine just always doing slayer with a few dungeon quests in between. There was PvP of course, but if you joined now you'd probably just be griefed into the dirt by people with giant ePeens and more time on their hands then they know what to do with. They did have a cool mechanic where instead of shrines SP came back over time so you could get to a safe spot and get sp back. In the store you could buy SP runes that automatically charged your SP to the top once it hit half way. They basically lasted a few days and made sure you always had SP.

So I spent a fair amount of money there and didn't want to leave, but I haven't looked back despite the bugs and problems here. I also played Aeon when it first came out and I didn't care for it much. Plus during the first few weeks the lag was outrageous, but I guess that happens everywhere.

In short I'm always in the market looking, but this still is the lesser of all evils and I still find it fun to play after all the time spent and despite sometimes crippling lag.

Okay, I'm at work, and can't reply everybody (plus, DDO Forums log me out constantly, wich makes my life a bit harder), so I would ask you guys that want to know more about this game, send me a PM, so I can track more easily who I have replied yet, and those who I don't.

And the answer is still no to PWI. It seems there are lots of MMOs like these, wich is good

I've tried Aion too, and its still installed, but I don't login since 1 month or so. Graphics are sluggish in my computer, even at low res and settings.
    [Ghallanda]

I got about halfway through the post before I realized what game he was talking about. The no loading screen and popular engine were dead giveaways.

TERA is a great game in it's own right, and while I like how smooth a lot of those things are, there are a LOT of bugs. Yeah, a lot of them are simple graphical glitches, but I have encountered many, not just quest ending, but having-to-restart-the-whole-chain-in-that-zone-from-the-beginning breaking. Yes, it is pretty, and yes, it actually does have quite a good story. It also has ZERO character customization, is stuck in the trinity class era (which people still seem to be worried with the enhancement pass, but having tested the pass, while needing some work, I had no problems making my war priest, or any of my other builds), the quests are very much of the "Adventurer! I know you are facing grave dangers and there is a war happening, but, I really need these six feathers to make this tea for my headache. Can you find six feathers from this type of animal and bring them to me? It is a difficult journey....even though there are hundreds of them running around just outside my house......" type of quests, and while I love the story and the lore of the game, they implement way to many immersion-breaking elements (maid costumes, swimsuits, rubber ducky shoes for the popori, sunglasses, Groucho Marx joke glasses, numerous other goofy things)...

And OMG the groups and groups of guys doing erotic elin RP'ing............

So yes, while I enjoy the game, it has many faults. No game is perfect. I stick with DDO because the lore is solid, the gameplay is fast (faster than TERA or Neverwinter), tactics work, you can make your toon be viable in multiple ways, and the quests always make you feel like you are doing something important.
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Community Member

Why are you messing about with all this "I've got a secret but I'm not going to tell you" ****?

Are you worried that Turbine are going to permaban you for reminding us that other games exist?

Community Member

Default They found....

Why are you messing about with all this "I've got a secret but I'm not going to tell you" ****?

Are you worried that Turbine are going to permaban you for reminding us that other games exist?

An exploit somewhere that makes the game less laggy.

I'll take a look at Secret World and DC Universe, although I do tend to like fantasy games more than other genres. Still, I liked CoH quite a bit back in the day. Is DC Universe similar?

Looked at Path of Exile shots. Top down game. Not my thing. Not that they are bad (I played Diablo III, like everyone else), but they are not the kind of games that hold my interest for long.

Downloading Aion right now, we shall see. It has player housing, which is a thing I tend to like. Also putting Tera on the list of things to download and check out.

AFTER I work today, of course. AFTER. No, Ron, you CANNOT hit the Launch button right now. Stop it!

[EDIT: OMGs!!!! I didn't get logged out by posting that! Did something get fixed?]
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

I'm not worried about that, I've said this topic could as well be a small mini game here in the forums.

But as Shorlong have said and guessed, its Tera Rising.

Some of you may thing "but that game is no good / quests are bad / i don't like / etc.", there is a detail I have not mentioned before: I do like DDO quest system, I agree with Shorlong on that matter. But as that is a more subjective thing, since player A may like it, player B may not, hence my 1st topic speaking only about more specific and objective features of the game.

Its quite possible I come back to play DDO way more often if I have the time, as I still like it in a way, and hope devs correct the current bugs and problems. But for the time being, I do prefer some "fresh air". I've tried Aion, Dragon Nest, Rohan and now Tera. I do prefer the last one above the others. No I don't mind simple quests, I've managed to kill a few tougher mobs and bosses, I've been on a party, been soloing, killed smaller creatures, and I have way more game world to explore. And that is what I want to try and see for myself to take a break from the usual DDO routine.

I'm tired to farm xp on my higher lvl toons. I'm tired of seing IP and BYOH runs, and since I don't like to solo, neither create my own LFMs for personal reasons, I'll just stick to play what pleases me most for now (speaking of wich: I do solo on Tera and even on other MMOs, but mainly for 2 reasons: 1. I feel more comfortable with DDO grouping system for now and 2. The other MMOs I've tried seem easier on solo missions. In other words: I'm not the hardcore professional DDO gamer that can and wants to solo EE content, I hate boasting).

Thank you everybody for your replies
    [Ghallanda]

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

[EDIT: OMGs!!!! I didn't get logged out by posting that! Did something get fixed?]
    I think nothing is fixed, yet

I'm constantly being logged out, most the times I post something I get a blank white page with an error, but I reload the page, and see the posted reply by me. Of course, I have to login again after that...
    [Ghallanda]

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by marciosilva View Post
    The character customization is very good too, very similar to DDO.
    After reading this, I realized that everything else that followed would be absolutely clueless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast