Default Heads up Turbine, SEGA being sued for failing to deliver.

Found this rather interesting, seems game companies can be held accountable for failing to deliver what was promised, personally i am curious to see how this one pans out.

“We think the video game industry is no different than any other that deals with consumers: if companies like Sega and Gearbox promise their customers one thing but deliver something else, then they should be held accountable for that decision,” the firm representing Perrine told Polygon in a statement.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...=zergnet_58040
    The Arms Of Orien
    Dokalfar - Jhanjra - Khlaryssa - XiaNYdE - Tammin Burfoot
    In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard. -Billy Joel

Quote Originally Posted by XiaNYdE View Post
    Found this rather interesting, seems game companies can be held accountable for failing to deliver what was promised, personally i am curious to see how this one pans out.http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...=zergnet_58040
    How is Turbine being misleading?If you are giving Turbine a heads up, then at least you need to state the reason why this law suit effects Turbine.
    Member of Mythical

Anyone can sue for anything, given a sufficiently crazy lawyer.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by XiaNYdE View Post
    Found this rather interesting, seems game companies can be held accountable for failing to deliver what was promised, personally i am curious to see how this one pans out.
    It's a curious read and certainly interesting, but don't see how this particular lawsuit concerns Turbine.

The lawsuit claims that Sega's embargo on professional reviews required that write-ups be withheld until the morning of the game's release.
    Turbine may be guilty of many things but this is not one of them, so far game magazines and press always got an early review of every DDO/LotR update/x-pack and could put reports online well before release date.

Now, things would be different if the lawsuit would be about a game being released in unfinished state or with bugs, but personally I doubt it would ever fly since it might be hard to (legally) argue how a product which is given away virtually free needs to be flawless in quality (or even only of good quality).

DDO (and many other titles) have gotten away with releasing games/content/updates with bugs since they also don't charge a lot, making it easy to argue that the reasonable expectation in quality is directly relative to the products value (aka cost) and if the value (cost) is 30 cents a day (or less) that (legal) standard is actually fairly low.
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz

actually the story can be very similar if anyone knows anything about that game. it received major hype but the product failed miserably. a lot of critics gave it low reviews. bugs up the wazoo. choppy graphics etc. Thing is there probably isnt any laws really that govern over gaming industry like this. So who knows what will happen. if it sega loses yeah game companies would need to start watching out.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taeb View Post
    actually the story can be very similar if anyone knows anything about that game. it received major hype but the product failed miserably. a lot of critics gave it low reviews. bugs up the wazoo. choppy graphics etc. Thing is there probably isnt any laws really that govern over gaming industry like this. So who knows what will happen. if it sega loses yeah game companies would need to start watching out.
    How are they similar? As has been pointed out, that was a game that required purchase, and that reviews were prevented from being made public which might have informed people about the issues before they bought.
    There are laws covering this: the same as those covering any product.

Whether on not you personally think DDO is a "bad game" doesn't mean anything regarding the legal differences between a purchased product and the "access to service" system that DDO and other f2p games use.

Community Member ~Ferrir_Mule_S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    How are they similar? As has been pointed out, that was a game that required purchase, and that reviews were prevented from being made public which might have informed people about the issues before they bought.
    There are laws covering this: the same as those covering any product.

Whether on not you personally think DDO is a "bad game" doesn't mean anything regarding the legal differences between a purchased product and the "access to service" system that DDO and other f2p games use.
    The cake is a lie!
    Mordak lives here!

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default A deep pocketed Chinese player became upset

In our litigious society anyone who is willing to pay a lawyer can do anything.

But seriously, how much money will the entity behind the lawsuit get back in their class action lawsuit? I assume it is a class action, I did not read the article.

I find it interesting in a curious sort of way, but I will wager that 99.99999% of the game companies are not worried.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

I always wondered how game companies represent their product the way they do.

It seems like the phrase "NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY" should have to be plastered all over their promos and ads.

I always expect the previews to be just cut screens and basically fake and only use the advertising video to get a sense to the theme and feel of a game.

That being said, DDO always seemed one of the best for honest representation.

Look at this ad as an example. (Its old but the new stuff is basically done the same way)

Sure the camera zooms around in dramatic fashion but those are the ACTUAL graphics they are selling.

Does DDO always make everything awesome? No.

Have they botched some or a lot of stuff? Sure.

But I feel they are representing what they sell more honestly than most.
    Last edited by phillymiket; 05-02-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    In our litigious society anyone who is willing to pay a lawyer can do anything.

But seriously, how much money will the entity behind the lawsuit get back in their class action lawsuit? I assume it is a class action, I did not read the article.

I find it interesting in a curious sort of way, but I will wager that 99.99999% of the game companies are not worried.
    If under game companies you mean the developers than you are wrong, they are very very worried at the moment.
    If under game companies you mean publishers who also own some developers like Electronic arts than you are right, they don't give a damn they got the money for lawyers and they will get more money from cutting the budget of their slav... I mean developers, and from sell even more ****.

*Looks at video* Holy... I started playing when that came out... back when the game wasn't full of wowtards trying to turn DDO into a clone... I miss those days...
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Default Be carefull what they ask for.

What will be the end result of all this? Companies that already are leary of communicating with their users only doing so while walking on eggshells weighing and measuring every word so it cannot be quoted and taken as a a legally bound ironclad promise.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    What will be the end result of all this? Companies that already are leary of communicating with their users only doing so while walking on eggshells weighing and measuring every word so it cannot be quoted and taken as a a legally bound ironclad promise.
    So, it is basically not doing anything game forums haven't done already long ago.
    Characters on Sarlona: Ungnad (Morninglord, Wizard 17 / Favored Soul 2 / Fighter 1) -- Baerktghar (Dwarf, Paladin 18 / Fighter 2) -- Simulacruhm (Bladeforged, Artificer 16 / Paladin 3 / Wizard 1)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.
    -- Jascha Heifetz

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Look at this ad as an example. (Its old but the new stuff is basically done the same way)
    Gheh I forgot they used to advertise with being D&D and put all those traps n stuff in their videos to show off. That was awesome! Wish they did more puzzles nowadays, haven't had any good ones in ages.

mandatory reply to actual topic; interesting idea but honestly turbine is still making the best mmo for me and they are mostly honest about what they deliver so i'm not ready to give up on em. The eGH pack was brilliant for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    So, it is basically not doing anything game forums haven't done already long ago.
    The forums didnt set some hilarious legal precedent in favor of rules lawyers who never forget ANYTHING that was said EVER. It could take the next step and set a legal precedent in favor of those who complain in 2011 that they havent seen the druids they were promised in 2007, for instance.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.