Community Member

Default Attacks of Opportunity or Zones of Control Please

I can only assume a mechanic like attacks of opportunity or zones of control wasn't' implemented back in the beginning because of technical issues or some such. But the game really needs them. As it stands, bad guys are able to move in all kinds of ways with impunity, when really, without caution, they should be taking a great axe upside the buttocks. But don't think I just want it applied in favor of PCs. I want the bad guys to have the opportunity as well. It would make Tumble more useful, as per pnp, instead of the waste it is now. You would have to decide more to turn and run, exposing your backside, or withdraw backwards, more slowly.

Seriously, it's time. I'm thinking Update 19 maybe.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FalseFlag View Post
    I can only assume a mechanic like attacks of opportunity or zones of control wasn't' implemented back in the beginning because of technical issues or some such.
    No, AoO were a real time reaction in a turn based system. As DDO is a real time system, there is zero need to impliment such.

Your issue is the fact of client vs. server positioning where upon the server always wins. Welcome to anti cheat software. Also implimenting a "position" setup now would more than likely create more lag than is needed, let alone you would get "sneak attack" based players all over screaming for your head as it would depend upon position rather than agro.

Community Member

AoO would also limit the "fast-paced active combat" aspect of DDO by encouraging just standing and swinging. This is a style that PnP D&D 3.5 encourages, but was deliberately changed in the conversion to an MMO, probably for the better I think.

Community Member

There is such a mechanism in game, you press the "attack" button on your mouse.
    Addicted to DDO since 2006
    Officer of Chaos Knights and primary cause of -10%XP in guild runs

Community Member

The Bluff ability basically opens up "distraction" attacks of opportunity. And you do get a positional bonus to-hit when Flanking.But kiting is a staple of MMO strategy, and adding bonuses to enemies when you try to kite would unfairly punish squishy classes and ranged chars, who are SUPPOSED to try and stay out of melee.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by droid_327 View Post
    The Bluff ability basically opens up "distraction" attacks of opportunity. And you do get a positional bonus to-hit when Flanking.But kiting is a staple of MMO strategy, and adding bonuses to enemies when you try to kite would unfairly punish squishy classes and ranged chars, who are SUPPOSED to try and stay out of melee.
    I think that the idea is not to "unfairly punish" anyone. It is to reward those characters who cannot range and kite, but have to actually stand within hitting range in order to operate.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Khatzhas View Post
    I think that the idea is not to "unfairly punish" anyone. It is to reward those characters who cannot range and kite, but have to actually stand within hitting range in order to operate.
    Well thats why there are melee tactics, and no ranged tactics that directly damage (and the main ranged tactic, bluff, requires you to be in PBS range still, to get SA).If you want to buff melee, thats one thing - but then dont give it to monsters too, thats the part thats punishing archers and casters.