Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break Time

Lightbulb Break Time

Well, I think it's time for me to take a hiatus from DDO in totality.

My time spent in-game has dropped markedly in the past month or so - the desire to log in is just not there at the moment. And impending development has me kinda bummed out, so I don't have a lot of carrot to put before the cart to keep me plugging along.

In the past, I've still been active on the forums even while cooling off my time spent in the severs... but not this time. These new forums are just so awful it's no longer fun or pleasant to browse them. I really find the errors and problems with the New to be grossly off-putting, so I'm putting myself off them. If doing something is no longer fun, then there is no point to it. And these new forums are structurally and functionally about as unfun as they can get.

I'll check back in to see if any improvements are made to the game or the forums. But, it'll be a while. I need a break from both. Various elements have made me feel like persona non grata, and I am not one to overstay a welcome. I just want to thank the community for being such a fantastic one - I love y'all. This is the best community I've had the pleasure to belong to - and even if I haven't always agreed with everyone, I still have enjoyed the discussions and laughs along the way. And to the Developers of the game - thank you too. I may complain about things, but the game has kept me playing more or less consistently since 05. I have honestly only complained from a place of love. No other game besides pen-and-paper D&D has kept me interested for as long. That says a lot, and I appriciate the ride this far.

No stuff to have. No good-byes to say. Just a See Ya Later.
    Hopefully I'll see y'all again in better times.

Love, Mem.

Sometime you just need a break from whatever it is, I guess.

I have no doubt the forums at least will correct these frustrating issues quickly and we can hopefully enjoy your giftastic wit again soon.

See you in a bit.

BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    I have no doubt the forums at least will correct these frustrating issues quickly
    Right, because quick, effective repairs and attentive responses are the usual Turbine M.O.

It's not as if the forums were much more than a lot of people arguing the same things endlessly, but at least while they were functional you could visit and see that those people were passionate enough about DDO to jump in the sludgepit of internet discussions. Even a totally dysfunctional family is still family.

Between losing my old handle and all the buggy garbage that came with the new eyebleed look, I'm not inclined to bother trying to get my name back or even visiting anymore. I'll play the game until I find my own last straw, but this is a disappointing blow to that "community" thing that a lot of us have stuck around for.

I been trying to like these forums . But gosh darned they are dog awful!

It really took a ton of social appeal away with the update. Even the color is dismal and kinda depressing. I cannot even browse proper on my tablet anymore do to errors.

They really messed these forums up man! They had a good thing with old forums. These new ones are a hard pill to swallow. Almost feels like its some kinda corporate business Survey forum now for my car company. The look and layout does not make me feel like i am participating in any kinda social community forum. Especially not a DDO one.

Catch ya on the rebound Memnir! Hopefully something drastic happens in game soon and on the forums. Would be nice if the game had a streak of goodluck for a change!

Have fun in your time off. Your posts are always a good read or view

I agree wholeheartedly on these new forums.... if I was responsible for this mess I would be ashamed.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

Community Member

I've enjoyed reading your posts, and I really, really can't blame you.

I've been able to deal with the degredation of the game, but the forums are where I go during waste time at work, and they are kinda sucking the fun out of the whole kill-time mentality.

I just can't understand rationale for many of the changes. Some of them I've tried very hard and given Turbine alot of slack for reasoning, but many of them are just mindblowinly stupid (in my viewpoint). It just strikes me as either the changes are made with absolutely no knowledge of how things are, which is pure stupidity, or out of simple hubris, which is even more frustrating.

I live in Portugal. Please add more countries to the register form...

Well, what can one do when our primary entertainment method (DDO) is no more enjoyable? We spend our time in the forums. But what happens when our secondary entertainment method (the Forums themselves) are no more enjoyable either?

This is happening to me. I'm enjoying other MMOs at the moment, and honestly, I'm quite ok with them.

I've seen how things go in DDO world. Players give tips and suggestions, they make forums and the game offline for an update, and when they're online again, we are eager to see.... a whole bunch of.... [insert bad word here].

Errors, bugs, obvious bad color schemes, buttons out of place, premature logouts, a universe of 2 available countries for hundreds (or millions) of players, and so on. Then the game itself. UI errors, quests out of listing, a new and (improved?) explorer zone full of bugs... I mean, I consider myself a simple player and I'm not affected by many of DDO bugs, but still, I feel an urgent need to make a break here.

Lets just hope they fix it all (dreaming...) or the more important things to solve, anyway.

Cheers
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Keep in touch at the "other place" please. Will miss the memes

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Various elements have made me feel like persona non grata, and I am not one to overstay a welcome.
    I love when i catch foregneirs talking italian

What excatly did you mean by that? You didn't feel well treated as a customer? I'm kinda curious to understand how you used that phrase.

On the topic, i'm sorry you go but, can i have your...

images?

P.s. let us know how is neverwinter.

Well, damn. Although you and I have never played together as far as I know, I will miss your presence on these forums. I wish you happiness and health.

Take care, Mem.

The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Well, I think it's time for me to take a hiatus from DDO in totality.

My time spent in-game has dropped markedly in the past month or so - the desire to log in is just not there at the moment. And impending development has me kinda bummed out, so I don't have a lot of carrot to put before the cart to keep me plugging along.

In the past, I've still been active on the forums even while cooling off my time spent in the severs... but not this time. These new forums are just so awful it's no longer fun or pleasant to browse them. I really find the errors and problems with the New to be grossly off-putting, so I'm putting myself off them. If doing something is no longer fun, then there is no point to it. And these new forums are structurally and functionally about as unfun as they can get.

I'll check back in to see if any improvements are made to the game or the forums. But, it'll be a while. I need a break from both. Various elements have made me feel like persona non grata, and I am not one to overstay a welcome. I just want to thank the community for being such a fantastic one - I love y'all. This is the best community I've had the pleasure to belong to - and even if I haven't always agreed with everyone, I still have enjoyed the discussions and laughs along the way. And to the Developers of the game - thank you too. I may complain about things, but the game has kept me playing more or less consistently since 05. I have honestly only complained from a place of love. No other game besides pen-and-paper D&D has kept me interested for as long. That says a lot, and I appriciate the ride this far.

No stuff to have. No good-byes to say. Just a See Ya Later.
    Hopefully I'll see y'all again in better times.

Love, Mem.
    Wow not seeing you on the forums will be odd to say the least. Never grouped with you but you've been a mainstay for as long as I can remember.
    But Im right behind you on my way out. ONLY reason Ive stayed this long is because of my guildies Ive known for several years. WHile Im indifferent about the forums the game has become a shell of its former self. I cant play a single quest without being able to name 5-10 things broken or bugged. Our guild was discussing why things aren't getting fixed, and I mentioned they never will be fixed.
    IMO so many new people come into game and never knew all the broken things when they weren't broken. They assume its all WAI and they are turbines money crop. So the devs have no reason to waste time and resources to fix them . Only things that get immediate attention is if the store breaks or the game itself breaks because then people cant access the store to buy things. This next expansion will be another pile of broken game mechanics and bugs that will never be fixed, piled on the already huge pile of garbage.
    So I agree with you totally for leaving Mem. See ya around

Sorry to see you go Mem, I haven't met you in game but on the forums you usually made me laugh. I know what you mean with everything and have been slowly phasing out of ddo to try other games. I hope you find something else fun to take your time.

Community Member

An odd claim, when he was using latin, not italian.

I haven't logged into the game in about a month, and the forums are barely even legible under the new format. Pale yellow on a white background? Really?

Plus of course, nothing seems to allow me to log into my actual forum ID. I've already pulled my credit card from Turbine's clutches, and uninstalled 2 of the 3 copies of DDO on my computer.

Turbine has not given me even the slightest hint that they think the course of action (or lack of action) they've taken in the last 4-5 months needs correcting. I don't support companies whose main basis of interaction is giving their customers the middle finger on a daily basis.

-1 rep to Turbine for making you make this decision.
    will miss you, you are one of the reasons i check the forums
    Bleargh!

I hear you Menmir. The forums are just a lot less fun now. My last forum post here for me for a while as well. Still excited about the enhancement pass even though it is scaled back and not as exciting as it looked to be initially, but that the great Khyber Server community and dungeons and dragons keeping my interest so still playing this game.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt View Post

What excatly did you mean by that? You didn't feel well treated as a customer? I'm kinda curious to understand how you used that phrase.
    "Persona non grata" is a diplomatic term of art taken from Latin meaning a person not welcome in your country. It's usually used in the context of expelling a diplomat. Like most Latin derived terms of art used in English it has a lot of meaning beyond the literal translation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_non_grata

And to the Developers of the game - thank you too. I may complain about things, but the game has kept me playing more or less consistently since 05. I have honestly only complained from a place of love. No other game besides pen-and-paper D&D has kept me interested for as long. That says a lot, and I appriciate the ride this far.
    The ONLY good-bye I've ever read that had the class (and the honesty) to thank the devs for THOUSANDS of hours of fun...

Should have known it would be Memnir... You are a classy individual.

Good luck with whatever you find to occupy your time, and I hope to see you back someday.

With great respect,

Thrudh
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse001 View Post
    An odd claim, when he was using latin, not italian.
    I already had this discussion over the internet in the past. I just believe english teachers suck at latin just as italian teachers suck at english.
    Last edited by Phemt; 05-02-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Community Member

For every person who's posted in this thread wishing Memnir well in his future endeavors, there are hundreds of people who would have posted except they couldn't find their way through the new forums.

Good luck, Memnir - always a pleasure to see your posts, even when you're saying goodbye.

Community Member TempestAlphaOmega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse001 View Post
    I haven't logged into the game in about a month, and the forums are barely even legible under the new format. Pale yellow on a white background? Really?
    Pale yellow on a white background?

Umm that is not what I am seeing, don't remember making any changes to display setting (because I didn't find any).

Is that really how it is displaying for you?

OP: Hopefully the future holds what you seek.
    Shapshap, League of Extraordinary Ham, Sarlona and a bunch of alts that all have names begining with Sha or Sho. Of course Shapshap could be the alt and one of the others the main, it just depends on what day it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast