Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Community Member ~Gaesatae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default Epic Sirocco worth using?

    I have the makings of one, but I don't know if it's worth putting together. To anyone who has used one in the current EE game, is the knockdown effect from Epic Sirocco worth crafting it for? I have a Bard who is eying it as a possibility, but am also considering it using it on a Wizard, while off-handing a Madstone Skull.

  2. #2
    Community Member Hendrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bell's Brewery, MI.
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaesatae View Post
    I have the makings of one, but I don't know if it's worth putting together. To anyone who has used one in the current EE game, is the knockdown effect from Epic Sirocco worth crafting it for? I have a Bard who is eying it as a possibility, but am also considering it using it on a Wizard, while off-handing a Madstone Skull.

    If you have everything you need to make it, make it!

    If nothing else, opens 3 bag slots.

    Quote Originally Posted by hsinclair
    I heard the devs hate all wizards, bards, clerics, fighters, and fuzzy bunnies and only want us to play halfling barbarian/paladin shuriken specialists!

    It's totally true, I have a reliable source. You better reroll now.
    Adventurer, Bug Reporter, Mournlander.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    If you have everything you need to make it, make it!

    If nothing else, opens 3 bag slots.
    I would say that's a given for at least 90% of epic-able items, but not for 100%. If an item is rare, and useful to many toons, sometimes you are better off leaving it as is. In particular, I would not make Bow of the Silver Flame into epic even if I had the ingredients.

    But I realize that's an exception. How easy or difficult is Sirocco to obtain?

  4. #4
    Community Member ~Gaesatae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilyaT View Post
    How easy or difficult is Sirocco to obtain?
    Ridiculously difficult, if I remember right the shard only drops in DQ2. It took me about 3 years and 100 DQ2's before the shard showed up for me. I've probably only seen 1 or 2 drop ever in all those runs. I've never seen anyone link an Epic Sirocco.

    Now has anyone actually used one in the more recent Epics? Does the knockdown land often enough to be worth using?

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default It's not very good, unfortunately

    The CC effect lands very rarely and the DPS is, well, a long sword.

    Epic Telekinetic Effect:
    Targets that suffer a critical hit from a Telekinetic weapon must make a DC 35 Strength or Dexterity check or be knocked down. The target will then be forced to make DC 16 Balance checks to recover from this effect. The trip otherwise lasts 30 seconds and allows a recurring balance check to get up every 2 seconds.

    DC35 strength/dex check is garbage, and a DC16 Balance check is not garbage--it's offensive.

    No matter how many times I see people claim that long swords can be appreciable DPS, the fact is that even Oathblade or a Drow Long Sword with their enhanced critical threat is garbage DPS compared to any comparable THFer or one-handers with appreciable crit profiles.

    It's certainly better than the eTimeblade for raw DPS but in my experience, a strength-based long sword user with fully upgraded Tinah AND drow long swords AND oathblades just proves how poor long swords are.

    You mentioned using it on a bard which I would think should either go rapiers (good crit profile, Elyd Edge), or THF (feat-starved, good dps in dreadnought no matter what). Long swords would not benefit from having IC: pierce which has a lot of good weapons for a bard (Sacrificial Daggers, Agony, Elyd Edge, Balizarde, etc).

    I would absolutely discourage making an eSirroco on a wizard, as any type of melee wizard will best be suited to THF, and any casting wizard can use just about any other one-handed and get better effects like tons of spell power, arcane augmentation, superior lores, etc.

  6. #6
    Community Member ~Gaesatae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuskCouncil View Post
    The CC effect lands very rarely and the DPS is, well, a long sword.

    Epic Telekinetic Effect:
    Targets that suffer a critical hit from a Telekinetic weapon must make a DC 35 Strength or Dexterity check or be knocked down. The target will then be forced to make DC 16 Balance checks to recover from this effect. The trip otherwise lasts 30 seconds and allows a recurring balance check to get up every 2 seconds.

    DC35 strength/dex check is garbage, and a DC16 Balance check is not garbage--it's offensive.

    No matter how many times I see people claim that long swords can be appreciable DPS, the fact is that even Oathblade or a Drow Long Sword with their enhanced critical threat is garbage DPS compared to any comparable THFer or one-handers with appreciable crit profiles.

    It's certainly better than the eTimeblade for raw DPS but in my experience, a strength-based long sword user with fully upgraded Tinah AND drow long swords AND oathblades just proves how poor long swords are.

    You mentioned using it on a bard which I would think should either go rapiers (good crit profile, Elyd Edge), or THF (feat-starved, good dps in dreadnought no matter what). Long swords would not benefit from having IC: pierce which has a lot of good weapons for a bard (Sacrificial Daggers, Agony, Elyd Edge, Balizarde, etc).

    I would absolutely discourage making an eSirroco on a wizard, as any type of melee wizard will best be suited to THF, and any casting wizard can use just about any other one-handed and get better effects like tons of spell power, arcane augmentation, superior lores, etc.
    I wasn't concerned with DPS, more the knockdown animation. Even if they get up straight away, having an effect proc repeatedly can mitigate a lot of incoming damage from a mob. Take the Epic Swashbuckler for instance, that just about halves the incoming damage from any mob due to the effect resetting the mobs AI constantly.

    That's what I had in mind for the Epic Sirocco, my Bard has IC:Slashing which brings the crit range to 17-20 and the sheer attack speed of players can still see crappy 5% type effects go off a lot. If the effect has a decent animation/interaction with the mobs, it can be quite valuable CC. This would only be for sub-optimal groups, normally my Bard would be rocking an EAG or EEGoF.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload