Default Maelodic's Stupid Fricken Sorcerer Build and Leveling Notes

--- FLUFF ---
    I've always, always favored melee builds on paper.

I'm also horrible at updating my builds. Partially because somebody usually has the same idea for the good builds and updates theirs with better context and partially because I take breaks 6 months at a time and then come back and want to play something else.

The only caster I've ever leveled seriously was a wizard that I ended up using a +20 heart to make a Ranger.

I haven't been all that interested in casters, really only because I hate DCs.

I still hate DCs, but I did a sorc life for my wife and realized that fast cast speeds and large booms are hilariously fun.

So here's my crappy casual sorcerer with more flavor than an otter pop.
    --- END FLUFF ---

This isn't a dedicated build page that has everything fleshed out and is super epic that is so popular nowadays. Just a place to put my build plan and experiences with this build.

If this ends up being an endgame character, I'll update it to be super epic. When building I like to look at a ton of other people's ideas and builds so this is basically just here for inspiration if people need it.

Goals:
    Abundant step-esque ability because zoom
    Big booms
    Melee for when I'm bored, out of SP, or when my spells DON'T QUITE kill that one annoying mob in the corner and I don't want to use any more SP. IT'S MARGINALLY USEFUL OKAY MOM?
    At least a little bit of defensive capability for when I suck.
    Being able to self heal in bursty ways while not being made out of metal and/or wood.
    Some form of crowd control without having to worry about spell pen. It's somehow important to me when "Dead" is the status I'll want most mobs in quickly.

Build:
    Halfling - True Neutral
    20 Sorc
    34 Points
    8 STR
    10 DEX
    14 CON
    16 INT
    8 WIS
    18 CHA + Levels

Skills:
    Concentration, UMD, Spellcraft, Balance, Perform, Heal (Post level 7)

Feats:
    1 Maximize
    3 Empower
    6 Dragonmark
    9 Spell Focus: Evocation
    12 Heighten
    15 Shield Mastery
    18 Improved Shield Mastery
    21 Quicken
    24 Master of Air
    27 Intensify Spell or Master of Music

Destiny
    26 Epic Spell Power: Sonic
    28 Epic Spell Power: Electric
    29 Arcane Warrior or Deific Warding

Legendary
    30 Scion of Air

Enhancements
    Air Savant - 43
    6 Cores
    Shocking Grasp III
    Electrocution III
    Spell Critical I
    Pierce Electric Resistance III
    Spell Critical II
    Charisma
    Spell Critical III
    Electric Loop III
    Feather Fall
    Spell Critical IV
    Charisma
    Lightening Bolt III
    Awaken Weakness
    Wind Dance
    Evocation Focus

Halfling - 12
    2 Cores
    Jurasco Dragonmark Focus III
    Lesser Dragonmark
    Break out the Leeches
    Greater Dragonmark

Harper Agent - 12
    2 Cores
    Toughness II
    Strategic Combat I
    Know the Angels III
    Strategic Combat II

Eldritch Knight - 13
    2 Cores
    Improved Mage Armor III
    Toughness III
    Improved Shield III
    Light Armor Proficiency

Epic Destiny
    Default is Draconic.
    See this post for a breakdown of the benefits and best destinies for this character.
    You cannot utilize extra caster levels from Draconic/Magister/Fatesinger on any spells but Shout/Greater Shout so do not worry about missing caster levels from these destinies.

Twists
    Cacoon
    Evocation focus from Magister
    Legendary Shield Mastery

Planned Playstyle
    I fully expect to be just an absolute monster in heroics as per just... normal sorc things.
    And then just have things go downhill from there, basically. I'll report back on actual effectiveness post heroics.

I plan on using electric loop, sonic blast, prismatic spray and to a lesser extent, greater shout to give me that no-SR CC I crave. I don't believe there is anything in this game that can resist both electric and sonic so I should be golden there.

My DCs aren't going to turn heads at all. I don't expect this build to carry me into really any legendary quests at all, but I do expect this build to let me farm epic past lives, epic destinies, and gear. It'll be "fine" for most content and I don't need anything else.
    Last edited by Maelodic; 02-06-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Community Member

I'd grab max emp first, dragonmark at 6. Consider that charisma-to-hit-and-damage scpter from invaders turni n, saving ap in Harper. It also gives you devotion for dragonmark. Also, light Armor imo currently provides marginal benefits compared to robes. Particularly if you don't have BAB. I'd invest those freed AP into fire savant for more Booom. DBF in da face. Perhaps consider shield mastery for some more defense and offense, instead of twf and light armor

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    I'd grab max emp first, dragonmark at 6. Consider that charisma-to-hit-and-damage scpter from invaders turni n, saving ap in Harper. It also gives you devotion for dragonmark. Also, light Armor imo currently provides marginal benefits compared to robes. Particularly if you don't have BAB. I'd invest those freed AP into fire savant for more Booom. DBF in da face. Perhaps consider shield mastery for some more defense and offense, instead of twf and light armor
    Hey thanks - shield mastery is probably a better route for a lot of reasons. The boosts from TWF are marginal in comparison.

I'm still not convinced on light armor not being good but I'll test that ingame.

Edited build.

EDIT: Light armor should provide 20 PRR for 2 AP, worth it to me.
    Last edited by Maelodic; 02-06-2016 at 08:25 PM.

I can't help but think you'd be really well served by a couple of Paladin levels.

Massive boost to saves, you get your armor training for free and you don't *have* to spend any points in the tree if you don't want to (but you could totally pick up some basic stuff).

That way you could even grab a 15% spell failure reduction blue augment at some point and take your reduction up enough to potentially make use of some of the medium or with a little fixing potentially heavy armor.

Light armor may not be all that flash, but heavy armor, pally saves and Lay on Hands will potentially turn you into a nigh unkillable Tesla coil.

Plus your melee is in bursts and somewhat situational, meaning you could spam your smites every time you get into swing and let them regenerate while you go back to casting.

All you really lose is the capstone, and skipping that frees you up to take less than 40 points in your main tree if you want more flexibility.

Food for thought?

Quote Originally Posted by spawnofpoorlighting View Post
    I can't help but think you'd be really well served by a couple of Paladin levels.

Massive boost to saves, you get your armor training for free and you don't *have* to spend any points in the tree if you don't want to (but you could totally pick up some basic stuff).

That way you could even grab a 15% spell failure reduction blue augment at some point and take your reduction up enough to potentially make use of some of the medium or with a little fixing potentially heavy armor.

Light armor may not be all that flash, but heavy armor, pally saves and Lay on Hands will potentially turn you into a nigh unkillable Tesla coil.

Plus your melee is in bursts and somewhat situational, meaning you could spam your smites every time you get into swing and let them regenerate while you go back to casting.

All you really lose is the capstone, and skipping that frees you up to take less than 40 points in your main tree if you want more flexibility.

Food for thought?
    I've considered that - lay on hands with endless lay on hands is probably enough to go drow which would free up another feat (or just stick to halfling anyway and switch out the feat for epics.)

The biggest benefit for paladin is the saves. I'd fully expect some huge boost to saves and to be unkillable but the capstone is a really big deal for air savant. That and I like the 43 points I have in Air Savant and wouldn't switch it. The best thing about air savant to me, apart from abundant step and knockdown immunity, is that you get Sonic and Electric spell power which means I only need to specialize in one tree and can nuke down every enemy in the game with one of those two types.

We're looking at trading:
    2 CHA
    30 Spell Power
    4 Caster Levels
    2 Max Caster levels
    100% Fort
    20 PRR
    2% Crit Chance

For:
    +8 Saves
    Lay on Hands
    Sheild/Heavy armor proficiency
    +2 BAB
    (In heavy armor, this would translate into an extra 24 PRR, but that's kind of cancelled out by the 20 PRR in air form)

I think the magic happens at a 17/3 split with the defensive stance would be:
    2 CHA
    40 Spell Power
    6 Caster Levels
    3 Max Caster levels
    100% Fort
    20 PRR
    2% Crit Chance
    Knockdown Immunity

VS

Fear Immunity
    Disease Immunity
    21 (Extra) PRR
    +17 Saves (Divine Grace + Sacred Defender Bonuses)
    +20% Maximum hit points or 6 Extra CON (whichever gives more HP)
    Lay on Hands
    Sheild/Heavy armor proficiency
    +3 BAB

It's really the saves and the HP that is so tasty about the 17/3 split but considering with no past lives or anything but 30 sheltering on an item, I can hit 115 PRR on the Sorc in air form (21 extra PRR at that point is a difference of ~4% damage) and the amount of damage I can deal gets severely decreased at that point I don't think it's worth giving up knockdown immunity even if my saves are, in fact, godlike.

I dunno though. I may end up switching my mind because I hate failing my saves. I certainly don't think the 18/2 split is worth it. It would be more appealing if Divine Grace was still just uncapped. The 17/3 split is really attractive just for the amazing tankiness it comes with by replacing what I have in EK for sacred defender.

I've been doing some calculations as far as epic destinies and there are three in particular that really stick out, these being Draconic (obviously), Exalted Angel, and Unyielding Sentinel.

Now, the biggest features of draconic are really just:
    -No twist needed for energy burst
    -Caster Level 33 Energy Vortex
    -Increased burst capabilities with Shout and Greater Shout

Now, the increased burst capabilities with Shout and Greater Shout is a double edged sword. With master of music, you can get Greater Shout's caster level up to 33, and Shout's caster level up to 31. 26 is other destinies, which is the max of the air spells so the extra caster levels in draconic are pretty much wasted on those.

Shout and Greater Shout do the same amount of damage per caster level, so I'll just show calculations for caster levels 33, 31, and 26. (You could technically get Greater Shout's caster level to 36 with the Abashi set but it's old enough that it's probably not worth it)

Doing some calculations based on 500, 750, and 1000 spell power (before criticals)
    These will be average damages, not min/max
    Shout with 500 spell power at caster levels:
    33 ~990
    31 ~930
    26 ~780
    Draconic would be adding ~180 damage per cast of shout/greater shout.

750:
    33 ~1403
    31 ~1318
    26 ~1105
    Draconic would be adding ~255 damage per cast.

33 ~1815
    31 ~1705
    26 ~1430
    Draconic would be adding ~330 damage per cast.

That damage can add up but you have to consider two things:
    Shout spells use a fort save
    These will burn though SP pretty fast

Considering that sorcs aren't known for their evocation DC, there's a lot of concern there particularly in high end content.

The other big deal is Energy Vortex, which will do a ton of damage over time for 45 seconds every two minutes. This is a reflex save and will have the same DC as energy burst.
    500 SP: ~693 per tick.
    750 SP: ~982 per tick.
    1000 SP: ~1271 per tick

Dragon Breath will chunk pretty hard as well, with:
    500 SP: ~4140
    750 SP: ~5865
    1000 SP: ~7590

The offensive draconic abilities are pretty sweet and that's why you'd go there. If your saves are solid and you don't need extra tankiness or to pretend to be a healer, draconic would be the way to go- more for the extra attacks than anything else.

Then we have exalted angel, which mainly is there for more DCs. Not much to say about this one, other than it has 4 DCs up on Draconic and a healing SLA which should heal quite well. Out of the three, this is probably my least favorite destiny because I already have wings, it's not as flashy or cool as draconic, and all it does is shore up a weakness I hate thinking about and give me more SP and healing abilities.
    I mean, I love Exalted for a lot of reasons but those reasons are minimized on a build like this.

Then there's Unyeilding, which I would not have considered had it not been for Ginger's druid build.

Unyeilding seems to turn you into an immortal god-beast and while the damage isn't as strong in Unyeilding as it is in Draconic, the healing and defensive power of Unyeilding is great for content where you don't need the extra power or DCs or content where you need to be particularly tanky.

With Renewal, endless lay on hands, cacoon as well as the dragonmarks, you can keep yourself healed up and renewal is so cheap you could probably keep it on your party members too. Since you don't need knockdown immunity, you can plant yourself in unbreakable stance for some marginally useful DR and a lot cooler PRR. The HP boosts are notable as well, and you'll probably end up reaching a useful CC in this destiny.

Essentially for the destinies it'll be:
    Your DCs are strong enough, and you don't need more survivability: Draconic
    Your DCs are not strong enough, or you like Exalted abilities: Exalted
    You need to be more tanky in order to get content done, or your DCs AND damage are both strong enough: Unyeilding

Community Member

Should you invest in perform if you will be relying on sonic spell damage?
    Main Characters: Korkoch the Cruel, Everwyrm...Thelanis

Quote Originally Posted by Enderoc View Post
    Should you invest in perform if you will be relying on sonic spell damage?
    Yes I should... Thanks for the catch.

16 CON > 14 CON
    14 INT > 16 INT
    Added perform.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maelodic View Post
    EDIT: Light armor should provide 20 PRR for 2 AP, worth it to me.
    Light Armor should give PRR equal to BAB. On a sorc in draconic, that should be 10 for 20 sorc levels + 5 for 10 epic levels = 15 at level 30.
    I was thinking about tossing EK completely, but if you're spending AP there anyway, then 2 AP is probably worth it.

Regarding your investment in Sonic spells, please be aware that caster level increases in Air Savant core abilities don't affect sonic spells.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/471144

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Light Armor should give PRR equal to BAB. On a sorc in draconic, that should be 10 for 20 sorc levels + 5 for 10 epic levels = 15 at level 30.
    I was thinking about tossing EK completely, but if you're spending AP there anyway, then 2 AP is probably worth it.
    I just like the PRR and I have some APs to spare. The amount of points after investing in the halfling dragonmarks after air savant isn't enough to make a huge difference in another savant tree, and I do like tankiness quite a lot.

Regarding your investment in Sonic spells, please be aware that caster level increases in Air Savant core abilities don't affect sonic spells.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/471144
    Well that upsets me greatly.