Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    BTW if I might take the liberty of quoting someone in a different thread:

This is how bad it is.
    Wow! That's TWO.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Forums have felt dead all day long. I can't imagine why they are so dead, I have never seen them like this before.
    Don't know about too many others but I am definitely trying, though occasionally failing due to sheer boredom, to avoid these forums as much as I can. Last thing I want to do is appear to support the imbeciles who believed this forum system was ready for publishing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reikara View Post
    Don't know about too many others but I am definitely trying, though occasionally failing due to sheer boredom, to avoid these forums as much as I can. Last thing I want to do is appear to support the imbeciles who believed this forum system was ready for publishing.
    I updated my post to indicate the note of sarcasm I was placing in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

http://www.ddo.com/en/community

On the left, at the very top of the 'Forums List'. I looked all over on here myself to find an easier to get to link for them, but there is none.
    Sweet, thanks! That could be more obvious but yeah--search fail on my part.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51196

The second link my or may not work as a bookmark every time for the 'recent posts' forum.
    Ah, right. Come to think of it, https://www.ddo.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew should do the trick for bookmarking etc.

Cheers
    Heatherx Rgr12/Arti6/Rog2 (PL: 3 Wiz; 1 FvS; 2 Sor; 1 Clr; 1 Arti; 1 Rog)
    Toryen Warchanter 22 ~ Treslyn Cleric 24 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 23 ~ Khenshii Monk 20

Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post
    Sweet, thanks! That could be more obvious but yeah--search fail on my part.

Ah, right. Come to think of it, https://www.ddo.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew should do the trick for bookmarking etc.

Cheers
    your welcome, and that link is kind of iffy, it works about 1/3 of the time for me when my browser has been open very long, after awhile I get a message saying the link expired, or bad link, etc.etc and have to close browser for it to recognize the bookmark.
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

I'm sorry, having trouble remembering your login/password or are you just too lazy to spend 2 seconds logging in? :3

The current state of the ddo forums (and the user-unfriendly perspective) and the strict policies what is considered to be a proper fan site create an interesting power vacuum in regards to ddo-based forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    I think it's time for a divorce. At the very least, I think I need to start seeing other, more attractive, forums.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default You forumites don't get it

Do you realize that at the current rate of decreasing forum usage, eventually Turbine can claim to have the most secure forum because if no one logs in, then no hack can be applied.

Therefore, most secure game forum.
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNameIwasntB4 View Post
    Do you realize that at the current rate of decreasing forum usage, eventually Turbine can claim to have the most secure forum because if no one logs in, then no hack can be applied.

Therefore, most secure game forum.
    Everything else just gets cubed

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    I haven't read this whole thread yet, but if it's not explained already could you please elaborate on this comment?

Whose security are you looking out for? Are you looking out for mine (players) or yours (turbine). If I choose to click remember me, then that should fall on me not you. That's like you (turbine) telling me if I leave my ddo game running and I have "disreputable" people over my house that might steal stuff from my ddo characters that you (turbine) will teleport to my house and log me off the game, because you are looking out for security.

Why take away our choice to use a remember me if we choose to? People take care of children all the time by telling them they are adults and know better and how not do to certain stuff because they might get hurt. Are you (turbine) implying that we (players) are no better then children in your (turbine) eyes?

Community Member

Default Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    This would not resolve the issue. The problem with expiration timers is not related to a vBulletin Options setting. On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!

Ok, for account security, we have no remember me box?

How about we get a "keep me logged in" box like the LoTRO forums has?

http://my.lotro.com/auth.php?Site

It seems to me that DDO is being punished here, when the other games' forums are the ones that were hacked, and we pay the price for it, not them. Just give us a means to stay logged in please, if it works there, why is it such an issue to put it on ours then?
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 05-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I'm sorry, having trouble remembering your login/password or are you just too lazy to spend 2 seconds logging in? :3
    assuming this is not just a troll post on your part, it has nothing to do with either remembering a password or spending time to log in. it's things like

- half the time you can not even finish a quick reply to thread without being timed out. forget about people doing detailed build writeups.

- you not only have to log in but it won't remember where you logged in from. so when I am trying to respond to a thread - see above - and have to log back in, you get kicked all the way out the DDO main site splash screen

- lose settings - may not be a big thing to you, but I much prefer my user settings of 100 replies per page instead of the default 20 or 25. like to look through 5 pages instead of 30.

sure there's more but have to finish now before I get logged out

Ok, for account security, we have no remember me box?

How about we get a "keep me logged in" box like the LoTRO forums has?
    The LOTRO forums are getting 'upgraded' too, and I have no doubts the 'remember me' option will be going away there too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    The LOTRO forums are getting 'upgraded' too, and I have no doubts the 'remember me' option will be going away there too.
    So, basically, we are the red headed stepchild that has to put up with all the testing to make the blond/blue childs life better? (meaning DDO is the test subject to work out the kinks for LoTRO games before they go live on LoTRO)

No wonder the bugs on this end never get fixed, they are left for future testing for the other game. (opinionated statement)

Forum login= Game login= access to credit card information.

Auto login is therefore never going to happen. Auto complete is never going to happen. The longer you stay logged into the forum, the longer the hacker has opportunity to steal your information.

Solution: Short timeouts and required relog.

I didnt say I liked it. I just explained it. As a matter of fact, I believe I said something to the effect that I preferred the two login system we had before. And there is no financial or logical explanation for it. None. I know plenty of senior admins that have to deal with multiple domains. There is no financial or security reason for NOT having the game and forum accounts separate. The only possible explanation I can come up with that could remotely explain it is that the DDO and LotRO forums have been merged into one server and they want to avoid the possibility of duplicates. But even that doesnt really make any real sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post
    The only possible explanation I can come up with that could remotely explain it is that the DDO and LotRO forums have been merged into one server and they want to avoid the possibility of duplicates. But even that doesnt really make any real sense.
    True, not real sense... But it would seem to make Turbine sense...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post
    Forum login= Game login= access to credit card information.

Auto login is therefore never going to happen. Auto complete is never going to happen. The longer you stay logged into the forum, the longer the hacker has opportunity to steal your information.
    The forum uses a certificate authority (albeit a bargain basement one...) so that assumption is totally false. The CC info is not accessible by a forum server hack.

A hacker CAN get your credentials thru the use of a virus/keylogger on YOUR system. Auto-login and long duration certificates would actually DEcrease the chances of hacker getting your info.

The examples of secure sites using long cert's and auto logins are everywhere. I have literally logged in to my eBay account ONCE, 4 years ago, and have never needed to relog. My bank saves my clientcard # so that I only need to enter my password. Pretty much any and every site out there has SOME system in place to remember it's members and make login NOT a pita, without compromising security.

Turbine's sites seem to be the only exception to that rule.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    The forum uses a certificate authority (albeit a bargain basement one...) so that assumption is totally false. The CC info is not accessible by a forum server hack.

A hacker CAN get your credentials thru the use of a virus/keylogger on YOUR system. Auto-login and long duration certificates would actually Decrease the chances of hacker getting your info.

^this, as I explained in an earlier post, password files are usually encrypted with a master password, which is far less likely to be brute forced than your keystrokes are to be logged.

Unfortunately it seems that either lawyers and/or ignorant people have raised concerns about such features so this is probably some uninformed suit making these stupid decisions. Also unfortunately there's probably no one one reading these threads over there who's willing to let the suit know he's making a dumb decision. I.e. the people who actually know what they're doing are not the ones in charge.

Just like no one kept this unqualified person from combining game account and forum account into one less secure and needlessly linked account.

Unfortunately when a know nothing MBA starts making decisions he or she isn't qualified to make you get disasters like this forum and it's still utterly broken state...

What are we a month in here? Three weeks? Still broken, logged out every 8 or 10 minutes. Whoever is in charge of this steaming pile should be here apologizing to us. And informing us of when they expect to actually have a working forum again.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 05-12-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Ok... expanding

Forum login = account login.

Any hacker using the forum as a starting point and getting your forum information, now has your game account information. In having your game information, they now have access to credit card information.

And dont tell me they cant do it. Sony, Blizzard and Microsoft gaming have ALL been hacked. more than 7 years this game has been around and not one hack. And you're going to tell me combining game and forum accounts doesn't open it up here and expect me to believe you're an authority on system security?

When the headlines on CBS are that *Another MMO site gets hacked and credit card info is accessed* I'll be telling you I told you so.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345