Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Erzmeister View Post
    {snip} This is HUGELY ANNOYING! Accessibility is very important if you want good customer relations. Annoying them when they have contact with your company (here: The Forums) is ... bad practices.
    You are assuming that they wanted to have good customer relations at this point. I put in a ticket because of log in issues 15 minutes after the new forums went up. I just got the response to it today about an hour from the time stamp of this post. At this point, good customer service is not an option, only how they can empty pockets is the concern.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

With having the account name and the forum account merged... you DONT want to increase the timeout. It's a HUGE security risk. I prefer the old 2 account system myself.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpycat View Post
    With having the account name and the forum account merged... you DONT want to increase the timeout. It's a HUGE security risk. I prefer the old 2 account system myself.
    Please explain how you think it is a bigger security risk. Keep in mind that login cookie and credentials needed are not the same thing. You could easily have a forum generate login cookies good for thirty years, using the same name and password that would give you a five-minute account login. That's no less secure than making people log in all the time, and arguably much more secure, as long as the forum cookie can't be used to access the account management stuff.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    Please explain how you think it is a bigger security risk. Keep in mind that login cookie and credentials needed are not the same thing. You could easily have a forum generate login cookies good for thirty years, using the same name and password that would give you a five-minute account login. That's no less secure than making people log in all the time, and arguably much more secure, as long as the forum cookie can't be used to access the account management stuff.
    It's obvious isn't it?

Saved passwords are stored in plain text in your browser, which can be easily read by malicious people if your computer has a virus or somethin on it. It's not necessarily wrong of them to make that kind of decision, as they'd inevitably be blamed for hacked accounts which would have nothing to do with their own security.

Of course, this would be irrelevant if they hadn't linked the game and forums accounts in the first place.

Another debacle. I wonder how much the last two months have cost Turbine in lost revenue for DDO? I wonder how many CCs have been removed from accounts. When I talked to CS, he stated many.....
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    Secure sites WITH remember me options AND very long certificate durations:
    eBay, Amazon, Neverwinter, PayPal, my bank, every other site I've ever visited.

Did you really just buy that bologna the webdevs fed you? Due to security reasons? No, that's not correct. Due to some other reasons, sure, like ineptitude or laziness or maybe budget, but don't expect us to believe it has anything to do with security reasons. Whoever is telling you to tell us that should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Secure sites WITH remember me options AND very long certificate durations:
    eBay, Amazon, Neverwinter, PayPal, my bank, every other site I've ever visited.

Did you really just buy that bologna the webdevs fed you? Due to security reasons? No, that's not correct. Due to some other reasons, sure, like ineptitude or laziness or maybe budget, but don't expect us to believe it has anything to do with security reasons. Whoever is telling you to tell us that should be ashamed of themselves.
    One can not take any statement from any representative of Turbine as actual truth. This has been proven time after time. It's not a trustworthy company. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluding themselves. They will not change. Certain employees may put out statements that they personally don't believe, but do so because it keeps them employed.

At some point, somebody will tell the truth about how embarassing this game/development has become and that will be a bit of fresh air. Seriously, just admit you bonked it Turbine and some people might forgive the debacles over the past two months. Or don't, but warn the WB overseers that your 2nd "expansion" is going to tank, because it already has.
    Hilarious Princess....Sorry your life is so medicore after all this time..Lol, you are scared of a farmer? with a tractor....?

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atomicmew3 View Post
    It's obvious isn't it?

Saved passwords are stored in plain text in your browser, which can be easily read by malicious people if your computer has a virus or somethin on it. It's not necessarily wrong of them to make that kind of decision, as they'd inevitably be blamed for hacked accounts which would have nothing to do with their own security.

Of course, this would be irrelevant if they hadn't linked the game and forums accounts in the first place.
    Hey what is less secure than a text file? if you have a virus or even something LESS malicious on your computer like adware? Yes that's right... key strokes... something you have to do every single time you type in your id and password.

In fact if somehow right now a keylogger was installed on my PC guess what Haxxor Bob would get?

He would get my DDO id and password for both the game and the forum.

Guess what he wouldn't get:

My Ebay login because I don't type that ever
    My Paypal password because I haven't typed that in over 4 years
    My Facebook password ditto
    My Google/Gmail accounts

My browsers password file is protected by something called ENCRYPTION. So not only is not typing my password more secure than typing it... It also requires brute forcing a master password that most trojan and malware coding types are not going to bother with... when they're getting thousands of unencrypted naked key strokes. Sure if they REALLY want the encrypted ones they'll get them... but then if they REALLY want anything bad enough they'll get it, they might have to steal military technology to do it, but we've been in "yeah that's not going to happen" land for two sentences already.

Community Manager

If you haven't seen it yet, Tolero has an update on our forums/web stuff here. We've made some changes to - help - mitigate the frequent log-out issue. It should be noted as well that the Remember Me option was not my decision, and your outcry has been noted by the folks who determine such things. Whether it leads to its return, though, is still too early to say. We'll let you know.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

If you haven't seen it yet, Tolero has an update on our forums/web stuff here. We've made some changes to - help - mitigate the frequent log-out issue. It should be noted as well that the Remember Me option was not my decision, and your outcry has been noted by the folks who determine such things. Whether it leads to its return, though, is still too early to say. We'll let you know.
    FWIW the new slightly longer timeout is better but still obnoxiously short, also the redirect now SOMETIMES takes you back to the reply form, seems to be about 50/50.

Jerry can you please let them know that not remembering us is actually worse security? Optionally since "they" are probably suit and tie guys who aren't actually knowledgeable and are probably doing this for "lawyer said so" reasons, at the very least change the login fields so that my browser can auto-complete it?

It's pretty clear that someone unqualified is making these decisions, because the initial decision to tie a low security forum login with the game was a bad idea and has even been proven to this person via LOTRO's issue with the exact same thing.

Apparently someone there is not only making decisions they aren't qualified to make, they are also incapable of learning from their own mistakes...

I don't know whether to just leave now or wait until the Enhancement pass confirms my worst suspicions.

-Signed, a disgusted former Turbine apologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    -Signed, a disgusted former Turbine apologist.
    BTW if I might take the liberty of quoting someone in a different thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Why did you guys take a working forum and replace with a pile of ****?

And remember, this is THRUDH talking... #1 (or maybe #2) fanboi himself.
    This is how bad it is.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 05-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    BTW if I might take the liberty of quoting someone in a different thread:

This is how bad it is.
    Got the same problem.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

We are investigating and working to resolve strange timeout issues, and yeah - it's not the most pleasant experience. Working on it!
    Just to mention....

This had happened in the past, but we had a work-around option.

We used to be able to log into MYDDO and select the "keep me logged in" box, and then we woul dalso stay logged in to the forums.

But.... now we do not have MYDDO, so I cannot use that option.

Seems to me some web designer woul dknow how that kind of thing works though.... (and maybe add that kind of option to our login page)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

With all due respect, those in charge of the decisions dealing with the website and log in process, have no clue what they are doing. The new website is better described as a collage than a functioning website. Half the links don't work, staying logged in for any reasonable amount of time seems more like divine intervention at best, and the font/background coloring is something than even a color-blind tadpole would say "woah, that's not right". The decision makers are making decisions that are driving people away, not drawing people in as is in theory what the managers are hoping to do. At this rate, you might as well have brought the offer wall back just for grins.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Along with the time out issue, there seems to be a "Mark Forums Read" issue. At least once in every 3 logouts, or maybe once every 2 hours(?) the forum decides to mark all forums read, so upon login I get an empty 'New Posts' page and an empty subscriptions page (the subs still exist, but there appear to be no new posts). This has to be a vBull setting too no? Again, I've never seen anything like this on any other forum I've ever belonged to. Something you guys are doing is very very wrong.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Along with the time out issue, there seems to be a "Mark Forums Read" issue. At least once in every 3 logouts, or maybe once every 2 hours(?) the forum decides to mark all forums read, so upon login I get an empty 'New Posts' page and an empty subscriptions page (the subs still exist, but there appear to be no new posts). This has to be a vBull setting too no? Again, I've never seen anything like this on any other forum I've ever belonged to. Something you guys are doing is very very wrong.

I haven't had that yet, but it has been extremely slow around these parts today. Forums have felt dead all day long. I can't imagine why they are so dead, I have never seen them like this before.

** EDIT ** You must roll a natural 20, which then must be confirmed by a natural 20 to not fail a sarcasm check when reading this post
    Last edited by forummuleonly; 05-06-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Forums have felt dead all day long. I can't imagine why they are so dead, I have never seen them like this before.
    They have been dead that way since the changes... Now maybe it's just sheer luck that made it so... Maybe it's because the usual posters are just tired of the constant relogging, the unreadable forums and all the other problems that came with the change, that you can't really browse and post on them from the game ( unless you are willing to waste time relogging every few post and hunt down posts ), maybe...

I know why I spend less time here : bugged sloppy unwanted changes that makes using the forums a PITA. I think in the long term people will just go to other forums...
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    They have been dead that way since the changes... Now maybe it's just sheer luck that made it so... Maybe it's because the usual posters are just tired of the constant relogging, the unreadable forums and all the other problems that came with the change, that you can't really browse and post on them from the game ( unless you are willing to waste time relogging every few post and hunt down posts ), maybe...

I know why I spend less time here : bugged sloppy unwanted changes that makes using the forums a PITA. I think in the long term people will just go to other forums...
    It really is less comfortable here now. There are new posts, but even though I get the feeling that there are fewer, it's hard to tell for sure since it's so damned hard to check. With no proper "new discussions" forum it's really painful.

The lack of persistent logins is awful.

No "recent posts" pseudoforum is unforgivable. This makes checking new and updated posts a true pain in the ass.

No dev tracker...well, we all know how that is.

The fact that old links die, with no proper rewrite rule in place to handle it automatically--really? Are you kidding me? Who the hell does that? (Don't answer; that was rhetorical. I guess we know who, at this point.)

I used to peruse the forums constantly. Now, it's more like just fishing around whenever I have time to work around all the stuff which hasn't been properly implemented.

I hope that this is still in the development phase, because if it's going to stay how it is now, I can't see this being useful, long-term.
    Heatherx (Completionist--honest, no stones)
    Toryen Warchanter 24 ~ Treslyn Cleric 26 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 24 ~ Khenshii Monk 28

Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalgren View Post

No "recent posts" pseudoforum is unforgivable. This makes checking new and updated posts a true pain in the ass.

http://www.ddo.com/en/community

On the left, at the very top of the 'Forums List'. I looked all over on here myself to find an easier to get to link for them, but there is none.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51196

The second link my or may not work as a bookmark every time for the 'recent posts' forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codog View Post
    [*]Small evolutionary change that can be completed in shorter stretches of time is more readily achieveable for us than large _revolutionary_ change. Revolutionary change can be rather destabilizing from an engineering and balance perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    http://www.ddo.com/en/community

On the left, at the very top of the 'Forums List'. I looked all over on here myself to find an easier to get to link for them, but there is none.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/search.php?searchid=51196

The second link my or may not work as a bookmark every time for the 'recent posts' forum.
    One of my complaints is that whenever the forum auto logs me out it also marks all posts as read so I lose my place.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast