Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are investigating and working to resolve strange timeout issues, and yeah - it's not the most pleasant experience. Working on it!
    I cant log into my Motorola Android phone either. it keeps timing out. I know its not my phone because logging into DDO Forums is the only thing I cant do.
    Qhualor, the P2W ranter.

Am I really being told that the forum security is so bleeping craptastic that a simple cookie stored on our computers would be horrifically horrendous for security purposes?

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA A!!!!!!!!

How about hiring someone who knows what they're doing?
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Community Member

Actually, aside from the time out, Just scrap this forum and go back to the old one already.

aside from that

/signed

And PS:
    Since when does Turbine have anyone who knows what they are doing? I thought they made it self evident they just don't hire anyone that's competent!

You just wait... they try to "fix" this and end up making us get kicked from the game every 2 minutes instead...

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Community Member

Default Ojt

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post

How about hiring someone who knows what they're doing?
    Hiring schooled, knowledgeable and experienced people removes any tax breaks a business gets for providing on the job training to newly hired people.

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Hiring schooled, knowledgeable and experienced people removes any tax breaks a business gets for providing on the job training to newly hired people.
    I know a junior high schooler or two that could have done 1000% better job than whatever badly trained monkey is working for turbine.

And while you're at it, at least sticky the thread where we're posting alternative templates for the forum!
    Last edited by Aussir; 05-01-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Community Member

This would not resolve the issue. The problem with expiration timers is not related to a vBulletin Options setting. On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    Sorry everyone, turbine has decided to reduce security by tying your game account to a vbulletin forum, but they can't include a remember me feature as it is a security risk.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Community Member

...We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons...
    That was overstated.

In the category of "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish", give this to your site coders:

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Sess...nt_Cheat_Sheet

Turbine, which one is a worse security policy:

1 - Having to type my username and password every 5 minutes thus giving keyloggers and other malware a huge amount of opportunities to catch my data because of the constant flow.

2 - Have a cookie that is stored in our computers which means we'll very seldom have to re-type our username/password.

I vote nr 1... but that's me. And I call whoever is there in charge of the forum security, a fraud that should be sacked.

By the way guys, don't bother editing the cookies because they set up server session time-outs.

Community Member

This would not resolve the issue. The problem with expiration timers is not related to a vBulletin Options setting. On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    Quality brought to you by.... Wait nevermind... These forums, whether it's through the web or through the game browser are pure 100% junk.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post
    What kind of IT people do you have in there that don't know how to change stupidly simple forum options? Even the free version has a cookie expiry and "remember me" option.

What IQ do IT's have there? -200?

Here, have some "random" free code to create a "remember me box" for the braindead IT's that work there:

Code:
    .loginBox li.rememberMe {
        color: rgb(135, 135, 135);
        line-height: 26px;
        padding-left: 4px;
        text-transform: lowercase;
    }

Code:
    .loginBox li.rememberMe {
        color:#878787;
        line-height:26px;
        padding-left:4px;
        text-transform:lowercase;
    }
    .memberBox .rememberMe input {
        vertical-align: baseline;
    }
    .cb_cookieuser_navbar{
        position: relative;
        top: 2px;}
    Oh yes, I forgot...

TO CHANGE EXPIRY TIMER:

- Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User and registration options -> Timeout for Cookie

There, Turbine... we teach you...

You're welcome.
    As Cordovan said that won't work, and I'll give you a hint why...they aren't using vBulletin for authentication. They are using a single sign-on authentication where your request that is typed into vbulletin is just passed to somewhere else (in this case the game authentication system) and then the game authentication system sends back a token saying that this person is allowable. It's the handling of that token, or the communication between vbulletin and the authentication server, that is probably at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassJaw View Post
    Seriously? Was this known before the forum "upgrade"? No forum I visit on a regular basis doesn't have Remember Me functionality.

The clusterness of this whole endeavor continues to reach new levels.
    They appear to have moved the LOTRO forum/game authentication logic over here. When they did that originally on LOTRO the use of remember me was the key to completely hacking their user database within days of the new system going up. Obviously they never figured out how to get around that problem and they don't want the player database stolen in this game. The fact they can't figure it out scares me, but I'd rather they not expose any info than turn something on they know for a fact will get them hacked.
    Addicted to DDO since 2006
    Officer of Chaos Knights and primary cause of -10%XP in guild runs

We are investigating and working to resolve strange timeout issues, and yeah - it's not the most pleasant experience. Working on it!

Understatement.... the whole forum upgrade has been a bad experience.

Turbine gets 1 star out of 10 on this one.

How about a more detailed and comprehensive post from a Dev on what you will be fixed and what won't be? I'd check the Dev tracker but..... o well...

Not having a remember me option due to security is garbage as well. If you truly were concerned about security you wouldn't have linked the two in the first place.... Many sites will at least have a limited time "remember me" so you only have to log in once a day, week, etc.... At least remember the user name... what a joke. EDIT - Thanks to Lorien for bringing up the reason why.. I don't play LOTRO so did not knwo about how they got hacked)

I've always kept on open mind on gameplay changes. This whole forum upgrade has been a bad experience though... in no way did it improve my DDO experience.
    Last edited by BurnerD; 05-02-2013 at 11:56 AM.
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

Cordovan, if you are saying we are stuck with a system that is going to force us to relog in every time we want to make a post, then I'm out. I refuse to do that. I am NOT going to constantly send my password (that is linked to my in-game account which is linked to my friggin' credit card for Christ's sake) over the internets so that I can make a post.

You guys need to fix that. I don't care what needs to be done to get it working such that I stay logged in in-perpetuity, but it needs to be done. If not, that's it for me. I won't stop playing DDO, but I won't be making any more posts on the forum, as a security measure.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.28.01) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Community Member

Thumbs down Very sad situation indeed!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerD View Post
    Understatement.... the whole forum upgrade has been a bad experience.

Turbine gets 1 star out of 10 on this one.

How about a more detailed and comprehensive post from a Dev on what you will be fixed and what won't be? I'd check the Dev tracker but..... o well...

Not having a remember me option due to security is garbage as well. If you truly were concerned about security you wouldn't have linked the two in the first place.... Many sites will at least have a limited time "remember me" so you only have to log in once a day, week, etc.... At least remember the user name... what a joke. EDIT - Thanks to Lorien for bringing up the reason why.. I don't play LOTRO so did not knwo about how they got hacked)

I've always kept on open mind on gameplay changes. This whole forum upgrade has been a bad experience though... in no way did it improve my DDO experience.
    I just got online and after finding this thread, I unsuccessfully tried to reply and found out I had to log in again to reply.

The new forum is a complete and utter failure and will cause me to not even participate in these forums until it is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_ View Post
    As Cordovan said that won't work, and I'll give you a hint why...they aren't using vBulletin for authentication.
    You don't say, you genius... until it was said, we didn't know it was tied to the forum or to the server. So how about you go over there and improve reading skills?

Well, I'll log in daily until it's fixed, albeit somewhat less frequently.

Good to know it's being looked at Cordovan!
    The Old Timers Guild
    www.oldtimersguild.com
    >> Open to the Public! <<
    Founder #2231
    PROUD MEMBER OF MOURNLANDS

Default Upgrade? Ya Sure?

God I miss the day's when users were thought to be smarter than programs. I don't want a "remember me" feature I want an "I'll log out when I'm damned well ready to" feature because I'm the person in control of my user experience. While I get the intent to have better security.. It's sort of like better eating habits: The only way to do it, is through smarter people, not telling them what their options are.

Frankly, this is exactly what scared me about the forums "upgrade". Yes the forums software package was upgraded.. All the other UNRELATED stuff however..

Well, this mess is your own fault turbine, VB is a solid product, You all chose to complicated it, and interfere with functionality. I know Jerry, Amanda, it wasn't you guys. It's just frustrating to know that somewhere up your chain-of-command there is a chimpanzee in a suit making far impacting decisions based on a Whim of Iron.

What's say we all pitch in $0.01 per player, and buy you guy's one of those spray bottle's. You can take it to all the meetings, and when the chimp start's to make a decision that will alienate large portions of the player base, you can just squirt him in the face with a bit of water?

What? It works for training cat's not to misbehave..

OK, probably not doable(at least not if you want to keep your jobs), but hopefully you got a chuckle out of it guys.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Cordovan, if you are saying we are stuck with a system that is going to force us to relog in every time we want to make a post, then I'm out. I refuse to do that. I am NOT going to constantly send my password (that is linked to my in-game account which is linked to my friggin' credit card for Christ's sake) over the internets so that I can make a post.

You guys need to fix that. I don't care what needs to be done to get it working such that I stay logged in in-perpetuity, but it needs to be done. If not, that's it for me. I won't stop playing DDO, but I won't be making any more posts on the forum, as a security measure.
    I decided that Turbine is clearly too incompetent to be trusted with my credit card info, so I removed it from my account. (Call 1-855-WBGAMES to have your cc info removed.)

This is the only sane course of action for premiums, IMO. Based on this fiasco I'm not sure how many more times I'll spend money on DDO, if ever, but when I do I'll add my cc info, make the purchase, then immediately call 1-855-WBGAMES and have them remove it again.

That should work fine for premiums, but VIPs can't do this due to the recurring charge. For VIPs, I think the only two viable options are 1) never log into the forums again or 2) find a new game to play.

Community Member

Having to log back in constantly is certainly quite annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis_Dee View Post
    I decided that Turbine is clearly too incompetent to be trusted with my credit card info, so I removed it from my account. (Call 1-855-WBGAMES to have your cc info removed.)

This is the only sane course of action for premiums, IMO. Based on this fiasco I'm not sure how many more times I'll spend money on DDO, if ever, but when I do I'll add my cc info, make the purchase, then immediately call 1-855-WBGAMES and have them remove it again.

That should work fine for premiums, but VIPs can't do this due to the recurring charge. For VIPs, I think the only two viable options are 1) never log into the forums again or 2) find a new game to play.
    Or you can just grab a pre-paid CC, tie it to paypal and only put a small amount of money on it for the sub/packs/points you want to pay. That way if you get hit by someone, they only get what's in the prepaid.
    I had to pay with my Debit this month due to issues with the prepaid but next month, kiss my Debit Card goodbye, Turbine.

Also, the CC Turbine may still have there is deactivated... har har

Oh, by the way Turbine...

My new bank likes you so much that they blocked you right on the first transaction on suspicion of "money laundry" and I had to call them to unblock you... way to go!

I also want to raise awareness to an issue with the billing:

There are two accounts in this house, held by different people. When I inserted my new data for billing, my housemate's got changed to MY BILLING DATA! (she noticed when she went to update her data later in the day so she could log onto the forum).

What's going on here, Turbine? Are you telling me that if someone has a 10 year old playing in the same household, the kid will have its billing data changed to match the parents?
    I smell problems for you if that happens and the kid spends a few hundred dollars on the shop because instead of a pre-paid, mommy's CC is there.

P.S. - I'm fully aware that banks tend to block small transactions due to security against hacking/fraud and other issues. I still find it funny that Turbine/WB got blocked like that.
    Last edited by Aussir; 05-02-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast