Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Default This is madness! Cordovan, change the gd login timeout already

The question is why are we all still logging in and being redirected to re-login every 5 minutes a day later? This is not rocket science, click the little menu pull down and change it from 5 min to 1 day. And while you're at it click the little radio button that says "allow user option to remember login ID and password" or whatever equivalent you have. Replace the 0 with a 1 if Vbulletin is that much of a POS.

It's so bad that I am now keeping a login screen on a second tab so I can tab over to it re-log tab back and post so I don't have to keep navigating back from the main portal.

I don't know if this is related, but I can't open the links to certain threads from the main forum page; btw, I've had the whole "can't login" issue solved via the myaccount website.

Community Manager

We are investigating and working to resolve strange timeout issues, and yeah - it's not the most pleasant experience. Working on it!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are investigating and working to resolve strange timeout issues, and yeah - it's not the most pleasant experience. Working on it!
    Don't know if its cause or effect, but every time I get a "Corrupted Link" page instead of a real page I then need to log in again. Could be timeout causing corrupted link or corrupted link causing logout, but it happens a lot.
    The poster formerly known as TPICKRELL.... Hopefully will be again if Turbine support ever gets it straightened out. .. Grubby WF Shintao, Grubonon Human HAMP Shintao, GrubbyDark Halfling Ninja Spy, GrubbSmash Horc soon to be Henshin, GrubbyTrap Monk/Rogue/Fighter, Gralak Shirardi Sorc (soon to be PM Wiz again) and other Grubs... All on Khyber

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbby View Post
    Don't know if its cause or effect, but every time I get a "Corrupted Link" page instead of a real page I then need to log in again. Could be timeout causing corrupted link or corrupted link causing logout, but it happens a lot.
    Corrupted link and the timing out issue may have some commonalities; however, they would stem from separate issues. It would be logical for someone while trouble shooting the timing out issue to question if their server clock is set correctly, as time conflict on a server will cause many timing issues.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Community Member

Jerry, I'm sorry, but your response is... Less than re-assuring as LOTRO forums THREE YEARS LATER!!!!!! still fights this.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...fix-the-forums

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMinds View Post
    Jerry, I'm sorry, but your response is... Less than re-assuring as LOTRO forums THREE YEARS LATER!!!!!! still fights this.

Well they did say they were investigating, not fixing.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMinds View Post

The main difference is that the lotro forum still has the beta tag.

What kind of IT people do you have in there that don't know how to change stupidly simple forum options? Even the free version has a cookie expiry and "remember me" option.

What IQ do IT's have there? -200?

Here, have some "random" free code to create a "remember me box" for the braindead IT's that work there:

Code:
    .loginBox li.rememberMe {
        color: rgb(135, 135, 135);
        line-height: 26px;
        padding-left: 4px;
        text-transform: lowercase;
    }

Code:
        color:#878787;
        line-height:26px;
        padding-left:4px;
        text-transform:lowercase;
    }
    .memberBox .rememberMe input {
        vertical-align: baseline;
    }
    .cb_cookieuser_navbar{
        position: relative;
        top: 2px;}
    Oh yes, I forgot...

TO CHANGE EXPIRY TIMER:

- Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User and registration options -> Timeout for Cookie

There, Turbine... we teach you...

You're welcome.
    Last edited by Aussir; 05-01-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    DDO-Europe 2006/2010 - Aureon/Keeper

I'm blunt as a rock and can seem aggressive because of it. Be aware of that when reading my posts.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post
    What kind of IT people do you have in there that don't know how to change stupidly simple forum options? Even the free version has a cookie expiry and "remember me" option.

Here, have some "random" free code to create a "remember me box" for the braindead IT's that work there:

TO CHANGE EXPIRY TIMER:

- Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User and registration options -> Timeout for Cookie

You're welcome.
    In fairness they gave global moderator status to a guy who was doing a PODcast about the game... I'm not sure if he's an IT guy or not. But that said yeah, I only know PHP but I can't believe these settings are any harder to change in vBulletin and you confirmed that.

Jerry while you're in their, even if you're doing some other person's Job, please change the background color of quotes and code and etc. to something a little less brain searing. This may be a as complex as a hex string or as simple as a style sheet color picker.

/tabs out to log in before hitting post.... god this is asinine...

Nvm
    Last edited by dredre9987; 05-01-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Community Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Aussir View Post

Code:
        color: rgb(135, 135, 135);
        line-height: 26px;
        padding-left: 4px;
        text-transform: lowercase;
    }

Code:
        color:#878787;
        line-height:26px;
        padding-left:4px;
        text-transform:lowercase;
    }
    .memberBox .rememberMe input {
        vertical-align: baseline;
    }
    .cb_cookieuser_navbar{
        position: relative;
        top: 2px;}
    Oh yes, I forgot...

TO CHANGE EXPIRY TIMER:

You're welcome.
    This would not resolve the issue. The problem with expiration timers is not related to a vBulletin Options setting. On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    Seriously? Was this known before the forum "upgrade"? No forum I visit on a regular basis doesn't have Remember Me functionality.

The clusterness of this whole endeavor continues to reach new levels.

This would not resolve the issue. The problem with expiration timers is not related to a vBulletin Options setting. On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    Also known as 'we don't really care if you dc every 20 seconds so we'll handwave a reason to keep you guys shut'.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    What security reasons? Remember me is simply a cookie on our end.

Add it, and we'll all thank you for it.

Can we at least remove the autocomplete=off option from the login form? Please let me make my own choices about what passwords I allow my browser to store on my computer.

It shows up here:
    <form id="login" name="login" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post" autocomplete="off" action="/en/auth/login"><dl class="zend_form">

The problem with expiration timers is not related to a vBulletin Options setting.
    Naturally as the system for handling logins is not actually part of vBulletin but is handled by the account system that is then passing a session ID to vBulletin. So either the session ID is on a short timeout or some miscommunication from vBulletin is confusing the account system into prematurely terminating the session.

On Remember Me: We will not be introducing a Remember Me feature for security reasons for the foreseeable future. Sorry!
    Not if implemented properly. All that would be necessary would be keeping track of the vBulletin session ID. If additional info is necessary you can request user credentials at the time necessary but otherwise you wouldn't have a security risk other than someone obtaining that session ID would be able to post on the forums.

Community Member

While you're at it, could you set it so when you login, it redirects you to the page you were last at before logging in, rather than send you to the frontpage?

If I'm browsing a thread and want to reply, and I got logged out, I want to go back to that thread when I relog...not have to navigate back and refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Reikara View Post
    Naturally as the system for handling logins is not actually part of vBulletin but is handled by the account system that is then passing a session ID to vBulletin. So either the session ID is on a short timeout or some miscommunication from vBulletin is confusing the account system into prematurely terminating the session.

Not if implemented properly. All that would be necessary would be keeping track of the vBulletin session ID. If additional info is necessary you can request user credentials at the time necessary but otherwise you wouldn't have a security risk other than someone obtaining that session ID would be able to post on the forums.
    The problem is that the ddo.com account session is getting terminated, and this in turn is terminating the vBulletin session. I don't think retaining the vBulletin session ID would help there.
    You can actually catch it happening from time to time; I've seen the very top frame say "Log In" because the ddo.com session is gone, but the forum header say "Welcome, NiborRis" because the vBulletin session wasn't dead yet. The next page load, though, the vBulletin session was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NiborRis View Post
    The problem is that the ddo.com account session is getting terminated, and this in turn is terminating the vBulletin session. I don't think retaining the vBulletin session ID would help there.
    Unless this is the problem and they were trying to retain the session ID the entire time.
    Last edited by Reikara; 05-01-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast