Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Default Is there a specific reason we have to log in every 15 minutes?

Turbine;

It is my understanding that you are suppose to be software development company specializing in games for personal computers and are expect to understand how computers work. Is this not accurate? If it is, then why the hell are you making people log in multiple times to the forums? What's next, having to re-log into game every 15 minutes? Fix the forums so that we can either click the "remember me" button, or allow us through setting to change the time we are logged out.

Your new forums are something that an 8th grade computer science student could have done for a class project. The conversion caused more issues than you were anticipating due to lack of proper testing by your staff. Over the past year you have begun rushing way too many things out that are inappropriately tested, not thought out, and have not continually ignored your player base on key issues (security being a major one).

I am sure your moderators are going to take exception to my post; however, that would be looking at it incorrectly. Would you rather have customers provide you backlash on your website, or ones that could get media attention? Turbine needs to stop half-assing their attempts to develop new content. From your reskinning Gianthold and calling that an update, to redoing the website/forums for the 3rd time in this games existence, you have repeated ignored what most of your player base has asked for in favor of inconsequential items. Prior to Free to Play we have asked that old bugs be fixed, launch of Menace of the Underdark brought even more bugs that you have continued to ignore. Now you are about to launch another expansion, you produce an ingame item for a charity, yet provide no information regarding how much of the proceeds would be donated on the player bases' behalf.

Stop and think for just a second Turbine. Ask yourselves one question really. Is there more DDO that we can actually do or is this game dying and no matter how many times you put lipstick on it it will still die?
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

While not exactly agreeing with everything said by OP, the title is right. On the old forums, I could log via myddo and stay logged for weeks. Now I got logged off simply by navigating around. And since we can't change skins, I only notice I was logged off when I try to reply something. Then I log... and am sent to the home page instead of the topic I was reading.

Please, fix this login issue. I want cookies.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

At least I have become intimately familiar with my DDO password from all this. I miss the old forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post
    Now you are about to launch another expansion, you produce an ingame item for a charity, yet provide no information regarding how much of the proceeds would be donated on the player bases' behalf.
    Jerry did state how much money would be donated based upon sales of the ribbon ingame...NONE. They are making a donation (of an undisclosed amount), but it is not linked to sale of the item related to the charity. In other words, they could donate one cent and sell enough ribbons to make 500K.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Is there a specific reason we have to log in every 15 minutes?
    Either they want to keep us on our toes, or something more nefarious.

...or they are testing my dedication to my new concept-siggy.

Community Member

It's just that they didnt' set-up the forums to plant a non-limited cookie in your temp folder. It might be an oversight on their part... Not that THAT kind fo thign ever happens...... Or it could be a new "security feature" since the big dumb dumbs decided to use the same log in credentials for the game and the forums. Or it could be an intentionally stupid Turbine move, becasue they surely don't know how to irritate their customers who've put up with their hamfisted junk for years on end, but still play their game......

The forums are a disaster.

Not since Windows 8 have I had such an immediate and long-lasting negative reaction to something.

Turbine, I can only hope you use this as a teaching moment. 'Please, O userbase, teach me again the perils of using cheap labour to design customer facing interfaces'

Agreed, all this relogging is a nightmare. I go to post a reply only to find I have to relog when I go to submit it. It takes me back to the forum main page, then I manually go back to the reply page, hit submit again, get an error page, hit back again, then hit submit again and my reply finally goes through.

I shouldn't have to do this.

Bad Turbine.

Please fix your fix so that you can then have some time to fix your other fixes that need fixing. Then once you fix all your fixes, start another project that fixes something that doesn't need fixing so you can fix the fix that wasn't in need of fixing in the first place.

edit. double post due to having to relog then resubmit my reply.

The irony is not lost on me.
    Last edited by redspecter23-A; 04-30-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Community Member

Default Not even 15

Hello. Yes, I too am having to re-login frequently. I've not timed it, but it seems less even than 15 minutes. HIGHLY annoying, AND time consuming.

Regards,

Avid DDO player,

Thumbed Servant (to 3 cats)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    The forums are a disaster.

Not since Windows 8 have I had such an immediate and long-lasting negative reaction to something.

Turbine, I can only hope you use this as a teaching moment. 'Please, O userbase, teach me again the perils of using cheap labour to design customer facing interfaces'
    Windows 8 is easily fixed for $5 by installing Start8. These forums, on the other hand, need some serious fixing. I keep having to log in all the time too. I thought the LOTRO forums were bad about logging you out, but I think these are worse.

Community Member

Yes, it seems as though expertise in how the login system works is required. I'm wrestling with an upgrade of a similar thing probably with different technology these days myself. And the company I work for is paying both me and the software vendor for the privilege.

Joy! There may be kinks to iron out, but I certainly expected this particular issue to be resolved with the forum migration, just as my boss would never accept a system that logged out our clients in under the specified time...

Community Member

Turbine;

Why the hell are you making people log in multiple times to the forums? What's next, having to re-log into game every 15 minutes? Fix the forums so that we can either click the "remember me" button, or allow us through setting to change the time we are logged out.
    Resurrecting this old thread, with the most important part quoted.

Previously I could just live with browsing the forums without logging on, and never replying to any posts (yes, that's the default way to act with the forums you can't stay logged on and can't even save the password in the browser without external tools).

However, I got beta access now, and the beta forums are inaccessible without logging on. So, if I do anything else besides actively browse the forums, I get logged off, and when I click a link, it asks for the credentials, and sometimes ends up with the correct page, but more often than not ends up in ddo.com homepage with no way of getting back to the forum you were at. Furthermore, if you try to open several tabs to several conversations, only the last one can be logged on, unless you try to log on the wrong one, then you can't log on any of the tabs. Frustration galore.

At the bare minimum, up the logged on time to 4 hours, and include a tag for 'public computer' that would reduce it back to the current 15 mins. The best would of course be a button for 'keep me logged on'.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Sure logging in each 15 minutes is annyoing, but its nothing compared to forum automatically marking all existing posts as read each 5 minutes.

Community Member

Or click on New Posts, get nothing due to being logged out.
    Log back in to find all New Posts are gone and need to use Search to find them.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester