Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thumbs down In-Game Memorial Ribbons.

They are ugly and distracting. They may be for a good cause - but I already hate seeing them. Y'all should have stuck with the banner in the Market, and left it at that imho. That, at least, is classy and fairly well handled. These player-worn ribbons are crass and tacky.

Not to mention that since we have no idea of where the money spent on the ribbons, 100 TP, is going. If it's going to the charity, Turbine, then kudos but let us know in plain language. If not, then it's lining Turbine coffers - and shame on you for manipulating a tragedy for gain. Is Turbine doing that? I dunno... they haven't said one way or the other. They should.

Hate on me all you like for saying so - but I had to speak my mind.

The Ribbons are a lousy and inelegantly executed idea. Like a lot of Turbine ideas of late.

Community Member

Default free

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    They are ugly and distracting. They may be for a good cause - but I already hate seeing them. Y'all should have stuck with the banner in the Market, and left it at that imho. That, at least, is classy and fairly well handled. These player-worn ribbons are crass and tacky.

Not to mention that since we have no idea of where the money spent on the ribbons, 100 TP, is going. If it's going to the charity, Turbine, then kudos but let us know in plain language. If not, then it's lining Turbine coffers - and shame on you for manipulating a tragedy for gain. Is Turbine doing that? I dunno... they haven't said one way or the other. They should.

Hate on me all you like for saying so - but I had to speak my mind.

The Ribbons are a lousy and inelegantly executed idea. Like a lot of Turbine ideas of late.

Ribbons are free if you enter the code 'boston' in the coupon code box thingy.

Yes, yes - but 100 points if you don't enter the coupon thingy.
    I hit Enter for one by accident before putting in the code - thereby spending 100 points. Where does that money go? That's what I want to know - and they've not bothered saying.

Why aren't they just free to commemorate a tragedy? Why charge for them at all, particularly if there is going to be any hint of ambiguity on where the money charged will ultimately wind up?
    Last edited by Memnir; 04-30-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Community Member

Default I agree with you.

Yes, yes - but 100 points if you don't enter the coupon thingy.
    I hit Enter for one by accident before putting in the code - thereby spending 100 points. Where does that money go? That's what I want to know - and they've not bothered saying.
    I actually agree with you. But look who we are talking about here.

Do you think they would ever just GIVE something away with no strings attached? enter code or basically pay Turbine.

Playing on morality a bit here I think, as there will be more like you that do that.

I would open a ticket or call them and get your 100 TP back.

Call them, actually, we know how useless bug reports and tickets are.

I can totally understand Turbine wanting to do something about the event that happened.

But I sort of have to agree with Mem here - would have been far more decent to leave it at a quiet shrine.
    Once you get issuable ribbons, TP involved, coupons - it really makes a bit of a circus of what should be a solemn thing.

Absolutely fine for a quiet remembrance spot somewhere in the game where people can think of what occured, and pay respects for those who died or were injured.

But yeah - the rest of it mentioned above made it all feel tacky as a whole.
    Add Shifters to playable races and I'll stop complaining. Probably.

Community Member

Turbine may be incompetent but I don't think they're evil.

Right? Right?
    Playing since June 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant_Giggles View Post
    Turbine may be incompetent but I don't think they're evil.

Right? Right?

Wrong

~Opall~
    I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON . I am 1 of many and WE DO NOT approve

~We are Anonymous~We are Legion~We do not forgive~We do not forget~Expect us~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpallNotten View Post
    Wrong

~Opall~
    The most "evil" thing they've done is bill VIPs hundreds of times in quick succession, and that itself was due to incompetence in some area.

Really, I don't think Turbine is malicious, just, you know, really has to get it together.
    Playing since June 2010

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant_Giggles View Post

Really, I don't think Turbine is malicious, just, you know, really has to get it together.
    Just exactly how many years do they expect players to hold on waiting for this to happen with each subsequent facepalm?

I mean this seriously. How long are the PLAYERS supposed to find workarounds for all their fumbled releases?

It is rampant releasing of junk, untested, unfinished, unwanted, unnecessary content that gives the impression of incompetence. And now, it completely and 100% directly affects each and every aspect of DDO. From forums to games, it is the players apparent responsibility to find alternative ways to make the product work.

It is disgusting really. At some point, SOMEBODY IN LEADERSHIP needs to be fired.

Evil? I agree, I don't think they are maliciously doing this, but ignorance and/or imcompetence on the other hand is a different matter.

;p

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by forummuleonly View Post
    Just exactly how many years do they expect players to hold on waiting for this to happen with each subsequent facepalm?
    I didn't say Turbine is good at not being incompetent, I just said at least they're not bad people.
    Playing since June 2010

I'm glad turbine is showing some support. im pretty sure people will be offered free refunds if they managed to click on buy which yet again i find that part funny. knowingly they click on an item and are able to read then they click buy then click buy again then get cranky over omg i didnt mean to click 3 times. yes because we all start rage clicking. lol

Im just saying you read what it did. you clicked buy then buy once more. could of just left the screen or not clicked at all. So i dunno know i cant feel bad for someone really.

its like a guildmate i knew he kept saying he didnt mean to quit the guild 3 times really? REALLY? how is that even possible? you have to click on guild go all the way to the bottom click on leave guild then ask if you want to leave again? 3 times so what 6 clicks? really? really? sorry its the same thing.

so i cant feel sorry for anyone who is demanding anything after clicking 3 times. sorry memnir.

Quote Originally Posted by Taeb View Post
    so i cant feel sorry for anyone who is demanding anything after clicking 3 times. sorry memnir.
    What am I demanding beyond knowing where my money is going to be sent?

If it's going to charity - I'm more then cool with that. Happy to donate.
    If it's not... well then I do have a problem.

I can honestly say I've not noticed them, nor will I be acquiring them free or not.

I don't like the idea of real world events breaking what little immersion we have though.

Agree with Taeb about the rage-clicking.

But the example of the Guild one isn't really comparable with say the online store.

The other day I was starting over on Korthos, and did the Sully's Bottle of Grog thing:

First attempt, said "Error processing request - try again later". So I did later, got the same message.
    Tried a third time after completing Misery's Peak, and it went through - along with the previous two from earlier - So ended up with multiple bottles of grog (no big deal at 5 points each - just pointing out stuff does happen with multiple clicks that isnt "rage clicking").

That said: I've rage clicked before - and will again .

Also multiple clicking comes down to a host of other factors: I know that being all the way over in Koala land, connection to a lot of games is spotty and dodgey at times - it just doesn't go through first time - or lag will sometimes make it appear not to go through.

And the DDO store seems to be the most problematic thing on the game in not loading, seeming not to execute orders, etc.

My point? Stuffed if I know - not all multiple clicking is rage clicking I guess.

EDIT: To keep on track - like I said earlier, whole thing should have been kept clear of DDO points. If intended or not - it did make it appear a little tacky.
    Last edited by Anarchism; 04-30-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Community Member

What am I demanding beyond knowing where my money is going to be sent?
    Well, let's start with a simple question, then.

Please tell us exactly the amount of money you spent.

Unless you've never gotten points except via favor, I concede that you have "spent money". How much, exactly?

If we can't define how much, how exactly should they decide how much money to send to charity? Apart from just deciding to donate money regardless of whether you give them any?
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post

Unless you've never gotten points except via favor, I concede that you have "spent money". How much, exactly?

If we can't define how much, how exactly should they decide how much money to send to charity? Apart from just deciding to donate money regardless of whether you give them any?
    If they can't put a monetary value on the TP that could translate into a real world $ value per item sold, then perhaps they shouldn't have been sold for TP to begin with? Give the ribbon for free and set up a direct link with the 1 fund website so people can make a recommended donation directly to the source. You can wear a ribbon which would have been free and you are welcome to make a donation directly to 1 fund if you choose to, which a number of people probably would do.

Doesn't matter. It's still money spent on what is a representation of charity. With the implied consent of said charity.

No matter if it's five cents or five dollars - it's still money spent with implied application to One Fund. If that money, no matter in what amount, is not sent to One Fund (which is named explicitly in the name of the item and it's description) then there is something wrong.

The amount involved is just splitting hairs and ignoring the foundation of the issue entirely.

A direct link would have been a good idea.

Still think the shrine thing is fine, but would have elminated the other detractions if player's could have contributed directly without it being tied to the game somehow.

Community Member

The amount of money spent is irrelevant.

I may be wrong and I don't want to speak for Memnir but since Turbine is not an NPO and is actually a for profit company I think it's reasonable to ask where that goes.

I don't have an opinion either way but a 'for profit organization' making a flat contribution and then creating something that costs money (however infinitesimal) without affecting said contribution seems real shady.

0.02 ymmv

Haven't they mentioned before the system can't do "free" ? That is why they use the coupon system for the weekly free giveaways.
    Honestly, they setup a coupon to give the thing away, if someone is too stupid to use the free coupon, just call CS and get your money back. Don't make a federal case about where the money is going, they didn't intend to take any in the first place.
    Conn Niall Paladin 20 TRx2
    Cormac Mac Airt Ranger/Rogue 12/1
    Connyl Niall Paladin 1 Connlyssa Paladin/Fighter 18/2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast