Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18

    Exclamation My Wilderness Only Hit Lvl 20

    Finally! She is done with her first life as a wilderness only!

    It worked out like this:
    Way, way back in the summer of 2010, The creator of DDMRealms’s was on DDOCast. He mentioned to Jerry (who was the host at the time) that he had recently uploaded the new wilderness only area (The Red Fens, iirc) and he speculated that you might be able to hit character cap (lvl 20) with just Wilderness XP, because there was so much. For a few months at least, it became vogue to roll up Wilderness Only characters and try to cap them. The basic idea was that you would roll a character (Vet Status was ok) and cap them without ever entering a quest. I decided that I would do the same, and I could spend the times when I only had twenty or thirty minutes to play working on her. I went with pure sorc, since I didn’t have one yet.

    However, she quickly took a back seat to my grind to unlock FvS on my main. It wasn’t until January of 2012 that I rerolled her as a Vet (lvl 4) and really began to work her towards cap. The early levels went a little more slowly than the later levels. There are a few area’s like Korthos that I had to skip because they have a quest to open them. The very early levels (before lvl 8 ish) were difficult because of poor gearing and my general lack of experience with casters. The first PRE helped, and I decided to keep a gold seal fighter with me, in addition to a regular cleric. Then, thanks to the issue with the guild amenities and the free gold seal’s, I stocked up on the T3 ship navigator to get me into The Restless Isles. It was around this time that I decided to gather up all the XP pots I had won in lotteries across my characters and give them to her. I also stocked up on Slayer Count boosts from the store, the only boosts I have bought in game to date.

    At this point (around the time I entered the Desert), my leveling began to accelerate. I got several large bumps to xp by timing my xp pots with the DDO Bonus Days xp boosts. The best one was one of my last ones. I earned 76k XP from the 5k slayer in the Orchard, which has a base xp of 45k. That kind of bump, and the generally much better xp granted by the highest slayers of the Desert and beyond got me from lvl 10-20 in half the time it took me to go from 1-10.

    The Last XP:
    My final xp to get to level 20 was earned in the Vale. I found that not only were the Devils easier to grind through, but there were more of them in my Monster Manual than the Lammanian’s. I really loved it when the Bat Swarm spawned. That was a lot of easy kills for the Devil slayer. After earning 1500 for both, I worked the 3k Shavarath slayer, and Boom! After a year and a half (ish) I finally reached my goal.

    The Screenshots:
    So nothing can be believed without screen shots, right? Here they are:
    This one shows me at level 20, with no favor earned. No Favor means I have never completed a quest. You will have to trust me that I also never used this character in an event like the Cove.



    This one shows my Wilderness Panel, with the area’s that I completed. I tried out the Subterrane, but after the second thing in there killed me, I decided to move on to the Vale instead.



    If you are interested, here is a screen shot of me just after I took lvl 20:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15558916@N00/8650448382/

    And just as I got the last kill I needed in the Vale:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15558916@N00/8649347427/

    Hypure in the future:
    I had asked the DDO Cast if they thought I could enter the Challenges or Events with Hypure, and they decided that no, she was Wilderness Only. For a while after that, I thought her second life was going to be a No Quest build that would let me run those in addition to Wildernesses. I changed my mind when I saw just how much XP was left to me in the Wilderness when I hit 20. I only managed to get into about two thirds of the area’s! Additionally, the Vale and beyond will allow me to earn XP as a character above lvl 20. So I have decided, my second life (and my first ever TR in DDO) will also be a wilderness only character. I fully expect the first 10 levels to be brutal, even more so than on the first life, but I fully expect to accomplish it. It might take me another two years, but I will do it!

    I will have to do a little prep work before I TR, though. I need the artifact that will let me into the Wildman Area of the Restless Isles (for the Explorer and Rare), and I need the Key to Eveningstar so I can get there without running the quests. I think it would also be fantastic to have the Phiarlain Pendant of Time, though I cant remember if that stays with you after TR.

    Final Thoughts:
    If anyone has any advice for me for the area’s I did not reach in this life, that would be greatly appreciated. For example, I’m not sure how I am going to get into some of the restricted area’s of the Revers Refuge without running the quests. I tried getting someone to help me on the LFM panel for the Wildman area, but nobody on Khyber could understand what I was asking. I don’t expect it will work with that area either. Also, if anyone has anything else they think I will be needing in my second life, that would be appreciated. I don’t mind being poorly geared, because I can always just recall and re enter the Wilderness with no xp penalty, but I would like anything that would help me avoid road block I didn’t think of.

  2. #2
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Get a friend to port you into reaver's refuge, thats 3 more explorers (i know you tried but keep trying!)

    another idea: if you run with a lvl 25 through the first 4 korthos quests you will gain no xp, but you will gain the favor (so that is something you'd have to decide if korthos island is worth it or not)

    Otherwise the only thing that I wish that turbine would do is offer a way to enter certain wildernesses without completing the quests (like able to enter Underdark : complete the king's forest rares/notes/slayer OR complete the 4 normal prereque quests)

    I am making an undead only character: going from 7 (vet 2) to 20 doing only quests/wildernesses where enemy undead are present. ATM I'm level 13 and I've found that doing something where you only face one particular enemy is rather easy to gear for (I mean really who else is going to use a mournlode warhammer as a main weapon!)

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Get a friend to port you into reaver's refuge, thats 3 more explorers (i know you tried but keep trying!)

    another idea: if you run with a lvl 25 through the first 4 korthos quests you will gain no xp, but you will gain the favor (so that is something you'd have to decide if korthos island is worth it or not)

    Otherwise the only thing that I wish that turbine would do is offer a way to enter certain wildernesses without completing the quests (like able to enter Underdark : complete the king's forest rares/notes/slayer OR complete the 4 normal prereque quests)

    I am making an undead only character: going from 7 (vet 2) to 20 doing only quests/wildernesses where enemy undead are present. ATM I'm level 13 and I've found that doing something where you only face one particular enemy is rather easy to gear for (I mean really who else is going to use a mournlode warhammer as a main weapon!)
    You mean with a bracelet of friends? That could work.

    Do they just have to be present? There are a few area's like the Red Fens where they appear but are not the only enemy.

  4. #4
    Hatchery Hero Aedra1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Beyond the 7th moon of Traakis
    Posts
    100

    Default

    While I could be wrong, I'm not aware of any quests that have to be completed before going to Reaver's Refuge. Assuming you own the pack, you talk to Aurben in the Marketplace (this gets your name on the roster), then talk to Captain Agamon at the top of the Marketplace spire. Jump off the boat and the entrance to the refuge is underwater. You do have to pick up each quest to enter the three explorer areas but you don't have to run the quests... and if you have three gems from other explorer areas you can access the fourth zone - The Eerie Forest.
    Still here.... Deal with it.

    I don't have an attitude problem, you just can't stand that I'm adorable.

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aedra1 View Post
    While I could be wrong, I'm not aware of any quests that have to be completed before going to Reaver's Refuge. Assuming you own the pack, you talk to Aurben in the Marketplace (this gets your name on the roster), then talk to Captain Agamon at the top of the Marketplace spire. Jump off the boat and the entrance to the refuge is underwater. You do have to pick up each quest to enter the three explorer areas but you don't have to run the quests... and if you have three gems from other explorer areas you can access the fourth zone - The Eerie Forest.
    To enter the Eerie Forest you have to be flagged for Stealer of Souls to get him to open the portal. Its not the area (according to the wiki) but the portal itself that requires the flag.

  6. #6
    Hatchery Hero Aedra1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Beyond the 7th moon of Traakis
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otsegolation View Post
    To enter the Eerie Forest you have to be flagged for Stealer of Souls to get him to open the portal. Its not the area (according to the wiki) but the portal itself that requires the flag.
    Nope you don't, you just need to turn in the gems that you can find in any three gems that can be found in the Desert, Giant Hold, the Orchard and one of the three out in Reaver's Refuge. I've done it countless of times. You need the gems to get in, the essences from the three quests to take on the Stealer of Souls.
    Still here.... Deal with it.

    I don't have an attitude problem, you just can't stand that I'm adorable.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Congratulations

  8. #8
    Hero AZgreentea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in the Swamp
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Otsegolation here, back with my original forum name.
    Something I am not clear on when it comes to TR (since I have never done it before). I know I will start in the Grotto. Will I be forced to run snowy Korthos, or can I skip it again?
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Otsegolation here, back with my original forum name.
    Something I am not clear on when it comes to TR (since I have never done it before). I know I will start in the Grotto. Will I be forced to run snowy Korthos, or can I skip it again?
    You can tell jeets right at the beginning that you'd like to skip the grotto, and you can talk to someone by the harbor (in korthos) that can send you to stormreach and skip the korthos quest line.

  10. #10

    Default

    very nice achievement, adding it to record book

  11. #11
    Community Member Qhualor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,028

    Default

    congrats. you have more patience than I do. I get to 750 kills in a wilderness and I want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload