Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default How to correct links to the old DDO forums

    One of the annoying aspects of the DDO forum upgrade is that links to threads to the old forum have been broken. Luckily, the thread ID number has stayed the same, so it is easy to correct the link using a little bit of address-bar-fu.

    The old links looked like this:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=193439

    As of now, the above link will take you to a 404 page.

    But, if you change the address to:
    http://ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/193439

    It works fine, and goes to the same thread.

    When I get to it, I'll correct as many of the links to my guides as possible, but I hope you find this useful if you find other broken links.

  2. #2
    The Hatchery GeneralDiomedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,282

    Default

    You would have thought they could have included code to handle the old URL format as well.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Between Tick and Tock
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDiomedes View Post
    You would have thought they could have included code to handle the old URL format as well.
    It's actually pretty easy to fix this, most companies who don't want to broken-link-check everything upon getting a new url do this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_redirection

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_ View Post
    It's actually pretty easy to fix this, most companies who don't want to broken-link-check everything upon getting a new url do this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_redirection
    Both of you have been playing this game long enough to know that the fans end up fixing Turbine's problems.

    I agree, they should just redirect.

  5. #5
    The Hatchery GeneralDiomedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris1000 View Post
    Both of you have been playing this game long enough to know that the fans end up fixing Turbine's problems.

    I agree, they should just redirect.
    Only recently have I truly appreciated the slogan 'powered by our fans'.

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris1000 View Post
    One of the annoying aspects of the DDO forum upgrade is that links to threads to the old forum have been broken. Luckily, the thread ID number has stayed the same, so it is easy to correct the link using a little bit of address-bar-fu.

    The old links looked like this:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=193439

    As of now, the above link will take you to a 404 page.

    But, if you change the address to:
    http://ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/193439

    It works fine, and goes to the same thread.

    When I get to it, I'll correct as many of the links to my guides as possible, but I hope you find this useful if you find other broken links.
    this is awesome! Thank you!

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default Old Forum URL with 7 digits for thread not working

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris1000 View Post
    One of the annoying aspects of the DDO forum upgrade is that links to threads to the old forum have been broken. Luckily, the thread ID number has stayed the same, so it is easy to correct the link using a little bit of address-bar-fu.

    The old links looked like this:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=193439

    As of now, the above link will take you to a 404 page.

    But, if you change the address to:
    http://ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/193439

    It works fine, and goes to the same thread.
    This works for me, but I can't open a page with a 7 digit forum handle. Looks like most of the recent forum threads started at the end of 2012 have a 7 digit handle, like this:

    http://www.ddo.com/en/showthread.php?p=4769224

    Posting into the new URL method, I get "No Thread Specified".

    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224
    http://ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224

    Any ideas on converting that 7 digit to a 6 digit, or maybe another redirection method?

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firekragg View Post
    This works for me, but I can't open a page with a 7 digit forum handle. Looks like most of the recent forum threads started at the end of 2012 have a 7 digit handle, like this:

    http://www.ddo.com/en/showthread.php?p=4769224

    Posting into the new URL method, I get "No Thread Specified".

    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224
    http://ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224

    Any ideas on converting that 7 digit to a 6 digit, or maybe another redirection method?
    I don't know why the 7 digit ones are not working.

    There is also a problem with links that went to specific posts in a thread. If I find a method, I will update the OP.

  9. #9
    Community Member Ambulance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    179

    Default

    awesome! The first thing I needed to know after the forum change

    thanks!

    +1

    GHALLANDA: Amb-Ambob-Amborc-Ambsorc-Ambow-Ampu-Gimbo-Gimbob-Gimbold-Gimbot

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs up

    Ty very much!!! I am able to found a lot of lost posts now... I have tried everything in the search option before!!!

  11. #11
    Community Member Aelik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Firekragg View Post
    This works for me, but I can't open a page with a 7 digit forum handle. Looks like most of the recent forum threads started at the end of 2012 have a 7 digit handle, like this:

    http://www.ddo.com/en/showthread.php?p=4769224

    Posting into the new URL method, I get "No Thread Specified".

    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224
    http://ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224

    Any ideas on converting that 7 digit to a 6 digit, or maybe another redirection method?
    leave everything from showthread onward the same, just change /en/ to /forums/ and it'll work. Example:

    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4769224

    What I haven't been able to figure out is how to get to the character viewer ( doesn't even work in game anymore. Here's an example link
    http://www.ddo.com/en/character/khyber/xelyth
    Last edited by Aelik; 05-16-2013 at 04:45 AM.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aelik View Post
    leave everything from showthread onward the same, just change /en/ to /forums/ and it'll work. Example:

    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4769224
    This appears to work thank you. Unfortunately, my account has been changed back to my original one and I cannot edit my opening post anymore.
    The Silver Legion - Guild Medieval
    Arisan - Arisanna - Arisanto - Arisgard - Betatest
    Cannith

  13. #13
    Community Member Stoner81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Firekragg View Post
    This works for me, but I can't open a page with a 7 digit forum handle. Looks like most of the recent forum threads started at the end of 2012 have a 7 digit handle, like this:

    http://www.ddo.com/en/showthread.php?p=4769224

    Posting into the new URL method, I get "No Thread Specified".

    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224
    http://ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/4769224

    Any ideas on converting that 7 digit to a 6 digit, or maybe another redirection method?
    http://www.ddo.com/en/showthread.php?p=4769224

    becomes...

    http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4769224

    The bit in bold is the only thing you change.

    Stoner81.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload