Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 111
  1. #61
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Sorry, I disagree.

    "Enter the coupon code 'Boston' to receive 10 free ribbons per account. Turbine has made a generous donation to The One Fund. Proceeds from the sales of this ribbon cover the cost of creating the ribbon and in-game memorial and do not go to The One Fund."

    That pretty much covers it.

    THAT is honest, straight forward and clear.

    Don't give me that hogwash about it being impossible to do it any way but how it was done.
    Except that's almost certainly untrue. My guess is that it will actually be the case that the amount of money they give is related in some way to any ribbon sales -- just that they can't put an absolutely definite relation on that because there's no unambiguous definition available.

    In short, I am pretty sure that if people spent a ton of money buying new points just to buy ribbons, that would be reflected in the size of Turbine's donation. I don't think the impossibility of stating that a specific dollar spent three years ago will end up in that fund means that they aren't trying to move money from players to the fund; it just means that they can't state definitively that this is what happens to a given dollar, since turbine points reflect dollars spent in the past.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

  2. #62
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    My guess is that it will actually be the case that the amount of money they give is related in some way to any ribbon sales -- just that they can't put an absolutely definite relation on that because there's no unambiguous definition available.

    In short, I am pretty sure that if people spent a ton of money buying new points just to buy ribbons, that would be reflected in the size of Turbine's donation. I don't think the impossibility of stating that a specific dollar spent three years ago will end up in that fund means that they aren't trying to move money from players to the fund; it just means that they can't state definitively that this is what happens to a given dollar, since turbine points reflect dollars spent in the past.
    There is no correlation between sales of ribbons and the amount donated.

  3. #63
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    49

    Default

    If Turbine was going to do the "good" thing, they would announce there donation now. Before all sales go through. That way if the ribbons didn't sell well they would still be set for that amount.

    If Turbine was going to do the "good" thing they would donate ALL profits and announce ALL profits.

    But yet, it's word games and makes it seem like they are trying to profit off of something that happened in there own area.

    Sure glad they are not in Chicago, because we wouldn't be as gullible as some in the face of a tragedy like what happened.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usernameanon View Post
    And you just made one of my points. If charity starts at home, ask around the office, don't ask from the playerbase AROUND the world. Especially if you are not going to ask around the world for other "horrific" events.
    But by your standards every company should either do everything for everyone or nothing at all.

    Obviously, no company could be a voice for every worthy cause on Our Green Earth.

    Surely you don't want to have zero companies become involved in charity, do you?

    Some companies will choose, for whatever reasons, to support something like maybe breast cancer research.

    They don't mean to say all other cancer research isn't worthy. They can't realistically support research for all forms of ailment.

    But maybe for that one thing they can make a diference.

    Do you really feel it's unfair that a Boston company is supporting the One Fund?

    Do you really feel like you are being put upon by having this thing that you don't have to participate in going on around you?

    Hasn't something bad happened in your local?

    Didn't people rally around that cause in a way that was special?

    Come on man.

    Put yourself in their shoes a second.
    Last edited by phillymiket; 04-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

  5. #65
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    But by your standards every company should either do everything for everyone or nothing at all.

    Obviously, no company could be a voice for every worthy cause on Our Green Earth.

    Surely you don't want to have zero companies become involved in charity, do you?

    Some companies will choose, for whatever reasons, to support something like maybe breast cancer research.

    They don't mean to say all other cancer research isn't worthy. They can't realistically support research for all forms of ailment.

    But maybe for that one thing they can make a diference.

    Do you really feel it's unfair that a Boston company is supporting the One Fund?

    Do you really feel like you are being put upon by having this thing that you don't have to participate in going on around you?

    Hasn't something bad happened in your local?

    Didn't people rally around that cause in a way that was special?

    Come on man.

    Put yourself in their shoes a second.

    It all comes down to, then don't do it in game. Turbine can support One Fund, I'm not saying that, but don't do it in game. There are many alternatives to doing it differently.

    Sure a company can't donate to ALL events, but then those companies also don't advertise to there millions or thousands of customers and ask. They keep it in office.

  6. #66
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absolution1 View Post
    There is no correlation between sales of ribbons and the amount donated.
    Quite possible, although I'm not sure whether that'll actually be what happens.

    Mostly... I guess I just don't care if they're being clumsy about it, or if their plan obviously got changed partway through. People are hurting here, they're not trying to cheat you, and being jerks to them about it does not solve anything.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

  7. #67
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usernameanon View Post
    It all comes down to, then don't do it in game.
    But you've provided no reason for that.

    Turbine can support One Fund, I'm not saying that, but don't do it in game.
    Why not?

    Sure a company can't donate to ALL events, but then those companies also don't advertise to there millions or thousands of customers and ask. They keep it in office.
    Except this just ain't so. Companies regularly do things to try to get people aware of and donating to locally relevant charities or causes. It's normal, it's commonplace, it's perfectly acceptable, and it happens all the time.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

  8. #68
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    Quite possible, although I'm not sure whether that'll actually be what happens.

    Mostly... I guess I just don't care if they're being clumsy about it, or if their plan obviously got changed partway through. People are hurting here, they're not trying to cheat you, and being jerks to them about it does not solve anything.
    While I can see where you're coming from, to me it just reinforces that it has no place in the game, it's just too divisive.

    If Turbine wanted to support the charity, then well done, but the best way would have been to simply say on the Forums or Social Media:

    We're donating money to this charity, if anyone else would like to do the same, here's a link to the site.


    It should have been left at that.

  9. #69
    Community Member Stealthdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    147

    Default

    People have some serious issues if they are finding fault for a company geographically located where a disaster occurred doing a charity event for the victims of that disaster.

    They aren't doing an event for China because Turbine is located in Boston.
    They aren't doing an event for Texas because Turbine is located in Boston.
    They aren't doing an event for XXXXX because Turbine is located in Boston.

    If you don't want to partake in the event, then don't and stop ****ing all over this thread and Turbine's attempt to do something for the community they are located in.

  10. #70
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    While I can see where you're coming from, to me it just reinforces that it has no place in the game, it's just too divisive.
    I don't see anything divisive here except Captain Empathy going on and on about how horrible it is for people to care about other people they know.

    If Turbine wanted to support the charity, then well done, but the best way would have been to simply say on the Forums or Social Media:

    We're donating money to this charity, if anyone else would like to do the same, here's a link to the site.

    It should have been left at that.
    Again, if I wanted a game which in no way reflected the souls of its creators, I am sure EA and Zynga would be glad to hook me up.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    Except that's almost certainly untrue. My guess is that it will actually be the case that the amount of money they give is related in some way to any ribbon sales -- just that they can't put an absolutely definite relation on that because there's no unambiguous definition available.

    In short, I am pretty sure that if people spent a ton of money buying new points just to buy ribbons, that would be reflected in the size of Turbine's donation. I don't think the impossibility of stating that a specific dollar spent three years ago will end up in that fund means that they aren't trying to move money from players to the fund; it just means that they can't state definitively that this is what happens to a given dollar, since turbine points reflect dollars spent in the past.
    Well if the cost of creating the ribbon was far less than expected revenue that they could rephrase.

    The important thing is the phrase "Proceeds from the sale of the ribbon do not go to The One Fund"

    That ^ is what needs to be stated clearly.

    Companies get a benefit from charity work in the form of good-will amongst their clients.

    Turbine appears to be, knowingly or not, cashing in on that good-will in way they shouldn't. Getting credit where they shouldn't.

    The phrasing is ambiguous where it should be clear.

    They don't need to be able to trace the origin of every Turbine point to set up system to do what they intended.

    If they cant track a point-to-point donation to satisfy a legal requirement than another method should have been used

    A barter box like the birthday boxes would have worked.

    A free item that people could use or throw away could have worked.

    A NCP that gave out the ribbons.

    A "We donate 1$ for every ribbon sold" policy would have worked.

    Doing nothing but list the charity and how to give in log-in screen would have worked.

    I don't by bracelets and ribbons for a cause just to have the bracelet and ribbon so I appear to have done something.

    I assume the money goes to the cause.

    If it doesn't go the cause than i don't buy.

    The ribbon made many, myself included, think that the money went to The One Fund.

    It doesn't.

    That's bad no matter how you cut it and needs to be addressed.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

  12. #72
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthdog View Post
    People have some serious issues if they are finding fault for a company geographically located where a disaster occurred doing a charity event for the victims of that disaster.

    They aren't doing an event for China because Turbine is located in Boston.
    They aren't doing an event for Texas because Turbine is located in Boston.
    They aren't doing an event for XXXXX because Turbine is located in Boston.

    If you don't want to partake in the event, then don't and stop ****ing all over this thread and Turbine's attempt to do something for the community they are located in.
    The game company is located in Boston. The game is located in Eberron. Keep that distinction. Keep it out of game. There are many "interfaces" that could have been used that were not.
    Why is there no facebook message with a direct link to support there cause?
    Why is there no twitter message with a direct link to support there cause?
    Why the heck is there no forum message with a direct link to support there cause?

    All there facebook, twitter and forum messages direct you to the DDO STORE.

    If they really cared they would have ONLY One Fund Charity links, not DDO STORE advertisements.

  13. #73
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    I don't see anything divisive here except Captain Empathy going on and on about how horrible it is for people to care about other people they know.
    It's divisive because if Turbine only does it for its own home but not anyone else's then who is being Captain Empathy? People in other parts of the world who are affected by similar tragedies grieve just as deeply.

    Quote Originally Posted by seebs View Post
    Again, if I wanted a game which in no way reflected the souls of its creators, I am sure EA and Zynga would be glad to hook me up.
    That's where we differ then, because personally, reminders of real life when I'm trying to immerse myself in a video game don't reflect the souls of the games creators. It simply reminds me that real life is ****. What reflects the soul of a games creators to me would be a beautifully crafted quest for example. Someone took the time and effort and turned their inspiration into a beautiful piece of entertainment. That's why we're all here isn't it? To be entertained?

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usernameanon View Post
    It all comes down to, then don't do it in game. Turbine can support One Fund, I'm not saying that, but don't do it in game. There are many alternatives to doing it differently.

    Sure a company can't donate to ALL events, but then those companies also don't advertise to there millions or thousands of customers and ask. They keep it in office.
    You have a problem with the NFL players wearing pink to support breast cancer?

    Does that interfere with your immersion?

    I suppose they could just have a blurb at halftime or have something come up on the scoreboard once or twice.

    Is that what they should be doing so people don't have to think about breast cancer during a game?

    Don't you think the Player's Association realizes the overwhelming majority of NFL fans don't have breast cancer?

    They do it to raise awareness and do some good knowing that MOST humans will be fine with the pink gear and actually be glad for it.

    But I'm sure some STILL complain.

    I'm glad I'm not that guy.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

  15. #75
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    You have a problem with the NFL players wearing pink to support breast cancer?

    Does that interfere with your immersion?

    I suppose they could just have a blurb at halftime or have something come up on the scoreboard once or twice.

    Is that what they should be doing so people don't have to think about breast cancer during a game?

    Don't you think the Player's Association realizes the overwhelming majority of NFL fans don't have breast cancer?

    They do it to raise awareness and do some good knowing that MOST humans will be fine with the pink gear and actually be glad for it.

    But I'm sure some STILL complain.

    I'm glad I'm not that guy.
    The NFL isn't selling the ribbons and then keeping the money.

  16. #76
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    It's divisive because if Turbine only does it for its own home but not anyone else's then who is being Captain Empathy?
    Same guy it has been all along. Turbine is not expecting all of their customers to care deeply about this; they are just expecting their customers to accept that the people at Turbine care. Which would be basic human decency, so frankly it's a bit silly of them to expect it from MMO players.

    That's where we differ then, because personally, reminders of real life when I'm trying to immerse myself in a video game don't reflect the souls of the games creators.
    They do, though. A thing that's there because of the nature of the people who worked on the game does in fact reflect them. That you don't care about that aspect of them doesn't change that.

    What reflects the soul of a games creators to me would be a beautifully crafted quest for example. Someone took the time and effort and turned their inspiration into a beautiful piece of entertainment. That's why we're all here isn't it? To be entertained?
    If you want that kind of passion, you have to accept that sometimes the things people are passionate about aren't important to you.

    If you want a game that's only ever focused on things you care about, go write it.
    Yes, that seebs.
    Not having fun anymore? Learn to play, noob!

  17. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absolution1 View Post
    The NFL isn't selling the ribbons and then keeping the money.
    Agreed.

    I'm having TWO DIFFERENT arguments in the same thread!

    It's getting confusing. :-D

    This is the argument where DDO, as a Boston company, could and should help the One Fund.

    The other argument supports your point that accepting ONE THIN DIME in the name of the events in Boston is a travesty and an insult.

    So I'm with you on that.

    Great idea, bad implementation.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

  18. #78
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Great idea, bad implementation.
    Agreed 100%.

    Just to say it in plain language - I have no problems with Turbine helping charity. I have no problems with them doing a gesture for the Marathon, being a Boston company I fully expected it and support their doing so.


    I'm just bummed that the specifics on the how's and why's have turned out the way they have.
    Last edited by Memnir; 04-30-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    53723

  19. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Agreed 100%.

    Just to say it in plain language - I have no problems with Turbine helping charity. I have no problems with them doing a gesture for the Marathon, being a Boston company I fully expected it and support their doing so.


    I'm just bummed that the specifics on the how's and why's have turned out the way they have.
    Yeah I know :-(

    The FIRST thing I did when I logged on was buy a ribbon!

    I was HAPPY to spend the money even though i didn't have to.

    I just DIDN'T THINK I had to read the text like it was from some stranger coming up to me on the street asking for a donation.

    It was very disappointing for me to see that my purchase did nothing.

    I'm just upset that it could be so unclear and also angry that Turbine seems to have gone home without addressing the issue on these forums.

    Like you said in another thread, Mem, it's a real question and deserves a real answer. It's not personal or just another attack on Turbine like a game issue.

    Coming out and saying "We didn't think about the fact that people may think the wrong thing and are doing XYZ to make it right" would go a long way with me.

    I'm a dyed-in-the-wool fan boi on most things DDO.

    I really do see what they were TRYING to do.

    I'm making a big stink here and now so they will CHANGE THIS before it becomes a PR nightmare.

    I'm really thinking in Turbines best interest.

    PLEASE TURBINE - REPHRASE/RETHINK - TAKE THIS FROM ZERO TO HERO WITH ONE GOOD, SMART MOVE!
    Last edited by phillymiket; 04-30-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

  20. #80
    Community Member Alizee8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    39

    Default I WANT to make a donation to the One Fund, but can't...

    Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post

    Great idea, bad implementation.
    Totally agree. I don't care if it's in the game. But, I can understand why it bothers some people. IMO, they can support whatever they want however they want. If they decide to support breast cancer and sell pink ribbons, I don't care.

    What I don't like is ambiguous "donations". I don't think Turbine is trying to make money off this, but I can understand how it could be misconstrued.

    I can text a number at a concert and get charged $10 for a donation to a cause the group is supporting and it will be added to my cell phone bill. I can go to the website of any number of charitable organizations and give them my credit card. There are a ton of different ways for people to make financial donations to the causes they support.

    Turbine has my credit card information. I use it to buy TP. I don't understand why they can't just cut out the middle man (TP) and let me buy a ribbon for $1. If I could, I would buy one for each of my characters today. It would have no material impact on my ability to "win" as it is cosmetic only. Then they can track all "donations" and make sure the funds get where they need to go.

    Shoot, they could even pledge to donate a portion of TP purchases over a certain time period. Win-win! I know I don't understand the legal or technical issues behind pulling something like this off, but it does seem to me that this whole thing wasn't entirely thought through.

    If that can't be done, then don't do it all. Collect donations at work, do a walk, telethon, whatever you want to do.

    Thoughts and prayers to all those impacted by the attacks in Boston, including my RL freinds and family.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload