Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Steam

So after installing the latest beta AMD driver 13.6, without CCC, and still having the same problem, I tried one more thing. I quit steam and xfire. (remember portal also not working well, that got me thinking...)

I actually remember now some Macintosh programmer telling me about how steam on the mac runs. He said it uses tons of processing power just monitoring where the mouse is and what it is doing, even when it's not the foreground application and really has no business polling mouse location.

And that fixed the problem. So either steam or xfire was causing the problem, or maybe both.

So for those having trouble, try deactivating steam/xfire. It worked for me. (it may be a driver and steam interaction issue, but for now, I'll go with what works and stop fiddling)
    Last edited by MelkiorPeasantbane; 05-31-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: and or xfire

Quote Originally Posted by Aishana View Post
    I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, but I didn't feel like reading through all five pages of the thread. I haven't been having any additional lag since u18, but I have been having other issues. For instance, red latency when I log in for the first time each day. And no, it's not my internet connection. Also DCing a lot more (yellow latency for several seconds, then red) and it doesn't recover unless I restart the client.
    Same here: connects, red latency, disconnects itself every single first connection.

- Oh, and I have tons of lockups and after each lockup can not restart the game, I have to reinstall it. Any ideas? (Firewall disabled, sound disabled, windowed mode.) -

Community Member

Default This isn't a problem limited to DDO.

I found a few forums with people having the exact same problem with the exact same 'awesome' process in other games. Here's a quick fix someone used which basically wrote a script to kill the process and it's children every ten minutes.

taskkill /F /IM AwesomiumProcess.exe /T

It's to be used with taskscheduler.

I haven't tried it yet, but will before I reinstall the game.

Here's the link I found it in.

https://forums.station.sony.com/vg/i...ess-exe.68412/

I have an old Dell XP laptop and a custom built Win7 x64 machine and have the same problem on both machines. I haven't tried reinstalling the game yet, but that's my next step once I can convince myself that it might actually make a difference (which I haven't yet).

Also...the disconnect problem the first time you log in the game...I get that everytime now. Used to only happen when loading in to certain characters. I used to think there was like a time limit for loading in and if you didn't load in fast enough you would get a disconnect. My reasoning for this was my storage characters with no hotbars and nothing on the preset hotbars used to load in just fine, while my played characters with 10 hotbars always failed to load on the first time. Now though, it's first time fail with most all my characters on either machine. My friend has had the same problem too. I still think it has something to do with how fast the game loads into memory and actually gets you in-game. Related somehow to the difference between the game telling you a guild-member logged in and that same person logged in on your friends-list. The friend list message usually doesn't appear until long after the guild message and most likely closer to when that person is actually able to do anything in game (done loading in, with connection).

/rant over
    Last edited by Gnaglor; 06-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPassionPlay View Post
    I just updated game and logged in just to test if the update helped in any way. It still occurs, but something has changed now while viewing in Process Explorer. The awesomium.dll is no longer spiking up every 6 seconds, but now it's an AwesomiumProcess.exe that is spiking up every 6 seconds. Also, before the update tonight, I never noticed the AwesomiumProcess.exe coming up before. Tonight I saw up to 9 of them in the Process Explorer. 2 during Character Screen and up to 9 at the beginning of the load in screen, and down to 7 of them while in game. Out of the 7 AwesomiumProcess.exe, 1 of them keeps shooting up in CPU usage just like before when it was the awesomium.dll. Each time it shoots up, the dndclient.exe CPU drops. Again, this occurs at the exact moment the 6 second interval problem happens for me in game.

I am not sure if this is still happening for anyone else after the update, but I just "Suspend" or "Kill" the one particular AwesomiumProcess.exe causing this from using Process Explorer and the game is so much smoother. I am not sure if this helps or hurts game, but so far I haven't noticed any side effects and game is playable.
    After the update, I noticed the same behavior. (the one awsomejunk per core. I am still not hit with the random stopping that is described in the op.)

I just killed the processes on a whim. The only issue seems to be that if you do that, if you open up the store or a help ticket, the game will crash.

For those that want to try the above. Here is the link to Process Explorer.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

To the others that disconnect on first log in and such. That is not the same as the issue noted in the OP. Many threads on that issue have already been made. Seek those out.

Community Member

Default Something else you can do.

So before starting DDO, I renamed awesomium.dll and awesomiumprocess.exe to .bak. I then started DDO and was told there was an update. Two files were downloaded, awesomium.dll and awesomiumprocess.exe. I continued to have the multiple .exe problem upon getting to the character selection screen (3 instances)...then after choosing a character and clicking the login button, 5 more showed up. After running the taskkill /F /IM AwesomiumProcess.exe /T command from command prompt, I opened up my ddo folder and deleted awesomiumprocess.exe and haven't had any problems running the game (until I log out and have to update those two files again). You will not be able to use the ddo store or other in-game browser based stuff...but at least you can play. The .dll file was already in use and I didn't want to track it down and kill it, but killing and then deleting the .exe file after connecting to your server seems to work. Could probably even do it after you download the 'update', but before you choose your server.

It's entirely possible the .dll has multiple instances running still, but I haven't used process explorer, just the windows based task manager and it doesn't seem to affect performance like the .exe file does.

Community Member

Well, the awesomium.exe that's doing the spiking isn't the Help, the former MyDDO browser, or the DDO Store once you're logged in with a character. I crashed the selection screen DDO Store, which seems to be separate from the Store you access once you're logged in, so that might have something to do with it except the spiking process is also terminated and re-created when you log in to a new character and the Selection Store remains broken with a new spiking process running. I haven't found anything in the game that's actually broken by suspending the spiking process yet.

Community Member

Default Just delete AwesomiumProcess.exe

What I've started doing now, and this has given me as good of performance as I've ever gotten, is to first start up the DDO launcher and let it check for updates etc. Once you get to the profile login, open your DDO folder and delete the awesomiumprocess.exe. You can't delete the awesomium.dll because the game actually needs this to load. After deleting the .exe, proceed to login to your account and then whatever server you want. Everything should work fine, except you won't be able to use the store or other in-game browser related features. I haven't tried anything beyond the store, but I'm fairly certain they won't work. Trying to use the store didn't cause my game to crash, I just got a white background within the store window. The next time you run DDO, the game will download awesomiumprocess.exe, at which point you just delete it again when you're ready to login to your account.

Hope this helps until there is an actual fix. I think this problem is affecting many people, but not always at enough of a performance hit for someone to check their process list (and maybe they don't know how).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaglor View Post
    Hope this helps until there is an actual fix. I think this problem is affecting many people, but not always at enough of a performance hit for someone to check their process list (and maybe they don't know how).
    Mr. Gnaglor Sir. This did it. I can play again! I owe you a cookie!

No point in ranting about the issue, Turbine doesn't appear to be interested in listening. Needless to say as a side effect while I can play the game again, I won't be able to use the DDO store. Which suits me just fine.

Disappointing to say the least Turbine won't even acknowledge this is causing problems with their customers.

Thanks again Gnaglor (and everyone else) trying to help. Onward! To Glory!

Default a fix i did.

might not get to use the store "hint hint hint" BUT rename AwesomiumProcess.exe to AwesomiumProcess2.exe it dose not start on me anymore, someone migght have figured this out and posted it BUT it works for me .. really turbine... you cant make your own web browser..... im not saying I can.. but my job isnt to program games... .

Community Member

Fix this ............................... More that one instance of the process is , well you know.

Any way I can live with the connect / disconnect reconnect in order to cut down on the LAG/multiple copies of Awesomium running and eating up cpu usage, (having 7-9 running at one time adds up to more than one? right?, lol)

Anyway..... BLOCKED Awesomium with firewall to not allow.....
    Restart launcher and proceed to login and all is well.............. Now this will not allow you to access the ingame store, but hey it's their own fault for allowing this to be implemented in the patch.
    If want to access the store ingame, set the firewall to allow the processs.....

All in all, more than one process that continually does things in the background can be intrusive and thus "untrusted", and the less running programs when concentrating on just Playing a Game is always good.

You would think a simple solution would be for turbine to make the store available from the website outside of the game and deliver purchases to the shared bank or choose which server/character its delivered to during check out. If you want to buy something just alt tab to the store make your buy and alt tab back. Its no more disruptive to your play experience than opening the store in game during a dungeon crawl, and far less disruptive than a major lag spike every 6 seconds. maybe having a couple hundred players remove the stores web based process and losing the potential sales will make them consider a fix. but since its been a few months i'm guessing not.

Elestria, Liteshadow, Toberahs

Im having lag and game freezing for 10-20 sec every time I open character sheet and when I go to skills or feats.

Quote Originally Posted by ~SirTarlanon View Post
    First off, thanks for getting that Vid up Relakks. What you show there is *exactly* what happens to me as well.

And well said Grumpycat. Whatever they did to enable those ribbons is causing this issue, since this issue didn't exist for me before that 'patch'. I haven't played DDO since that Monday patch went live, and I won't be until it gets fixed. Which also means I won't be buying any more Turbine points. It's as simple as that.

The fact that the devs have been mum on this is...disappointing to say the least. But if they want to ever see another dime from me they need to fix this issue. Whether it is re-writing the code that causes it, or offering an option (either in the menu or a setting in the .ini) to disable it, it needs to get done.

If they fix it, I'll play DDO again because I do like the game. Which will mean I'll spend $$ in the DDO store again. Everyone wins.
    at least you can play, i cant even load into the game from character select, let alone the fact i just gave them $100 to not be able to play
    Overkill......nothing spells success like excess

Formated my hard drive, installed windows, ddo, few programs I needed, have ddo preload and I almost always crash when entering sands, before I clean installed OS it never happened, now it does.

Default Since my last post

Since my last post i have experimented with deleting the ".exe" part of the process and found that if i create a new toon i can get into the game. i cannot log into old toons which is irritating.
    I have been trading emails with Turbine but all i get is the autoreply rubbish that pretty much says we dont care.
    Overkill......nothing spells success like excess

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456