Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Interesting. I watched my client for some time, tried a few different tools, opened up the store and all.

I never got awesomium to show up, and I also don't suffer the lag issues.
    When I first was trying to figure this out, I too did not see awesomium coming up anywhere while in game. In Windows Task Manager, awesomiumprocess.exe never showed up. When I used Sysinternal's Process Explorer and looked at the dndclient.exe process and viewed the properties of it and selected the Threads tab for it, I began to see awesomium.dll file coming up while loading into game. After being loaded into game, it started to shoot up every 6 seconds on the dot when the freezing/stuttering occurs. During this time after loading into game, I not once opened the in-game browser nor the DDO Store, which I assume is what Awesomium is used for. Also, I noticed sometimes this does not occur right after loading into game. It may take a minute or two to start happening. Other times, it starts as soon as you load into game.

So I'm not sure what to make of it and why it is happening to some and not to others. I'm just trying to find out what it could be I guess. I took a couple of screenshots and at the point when it is fine, awesomium.dll is not using any CPU. But when problem occurs every 6 seconds, the dndclient.exe CPU usage drops greatly and awesomium.dll appears to come up and use anywhere from about 50% to 90% CPU usage at the 6 second intervals.

I just tested this again now and while Process Explorer was up, I selected awesomium.dll that is consuming the CPU usage and "killed" it and the freezing and stuttering in game disappeared from what I can tell. Although the game felt choppy somewhat, the game itself no longer stutter nor froze every 6 seconds for me personally.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPassionPlay View Post
    When I first was trying to figure this out, I too did not see awesomium coming up anywhere while in game. In Windows Task Manager, awesomiumprocess.exe never showed up. When I used Sysinternal's Process Explorer
    That is why. Process Monitor (what you stated the first time) never showed it. And I knew was forgetting a tool I used to use back in my XP days. That would be it. I'll try again tonight to see how often it shows up and what the behavior is on my machine. (i7 just for comparison with others, not that I think it should matter in this instance.)

kwyjibo_lol, NO. An SSD does NOT fix the fragmentation issue. It does however, have much better IO throughput such that the TIME it takes loading doesn't lead to disconnections first time in. The second time you load up, the OS has already cached all that data so the load time is less.

Community Member

Lightbulb

kwyjibo_lol, NO. An SSD does NOT fix the fragmentation issue. It does however, have much better IO throughput such that the TIME it takes loading doesn't lead to disconnections first time in. The second time you load up, the OS has already cached all that data so the load time is less.
    Thanks for your detailed reply but in your words, no!

SSD only has the massuve speed bump for random I/O (ie unfragented), for sequential reads for mor mostly contiguous blocks (ie cache) conventional hard disks actually perform very well.

Quote Originally Posted by kwyjibo_lol View Post
    Thanks for your detailed reply but in your words, NO!

SSD only has the massuve speed bump for random I/O (ie unfragented), for sequential reads for mor mostly contiguous blocks (ie cache) conventional hard disks actually perform very well.
    Maybe if you are comparing hard drives that are of high quality or better RPM, but pretty much any SSD will blow the pants off the standard "green" 5,000 RPM HD that are sold these days, sequential or random.

Also, fixed it for you.

ok... will b brief as possible.
    pfft -yea right.

--had same probz.
    started what... two updates ago?

thought was just me.

went through all possibilities.
    ie: defraggler/System Mechanic etc etc -all the way through to uninstalling/re-downloading/re-installing DDO.
    ...which ended up including all drivers, -and all versions of said drivers... really tiresome.

this whole time, i must add, i received pretty darned good Tech Support with daily emails from the techs with new things to try.

so, if you haven't opened a ticky yet, and r just here complaining? well... there u go.

now the part youve been waiting 4.

mine is, for the most part, sort of fixed.
    the day it fixed, i had done multiple things, so, sadly, not sure which it was.
    these included...

Troubleshooting Options in game:
    Framerate to 56/57
    GameSpeed medium
    (both of those from older support advice in the service troubleshooter)

also turned on/forced on Triple Buffering inside Nvidia settings instead of application controlled.
    and then made sure, in game, that it was doing so.

last, but certainly not least, was an idea from TurbieTechs to set the UserSpecifiedPort=****
    in the UserPreferences.ini

this part being, of course, after manually setting up the ports to b open in your Win Firewall.
    with the **** meaning to set it at different ones until you find the one that works for your system.

Mine was 9002. dunno why, or IF that was even the probby. *shrug
    --but it works now.

sort of, anyway. :/

i can at least play for an hour or two, with two or three quests maybe before it will start doing it. (the 6 second lag/glitch thingy.

which, honestly?
    is a huge improvement from what it was... which was instant, and always!

i realize this is NO fix.
    and that the problem lies somewhere within the updates/patches, or the Awesomium process itself (which really really REALLY needs to go bye-bye. its ****)

but, if it will help any of you?
    well, there u hav it

-Tarelyn
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post
    ok... will b brief as possible.
    pfft -yea right.
    Tripple buffer and frame rate really shouldn't have any effect on awesomejunk. However, setting userports could. Thing is when I set userports on my PC, I normally end up port forwarding on my router to my PC as well for a one to one matching. I'm in a situation I can do that.

I limit framerate any way just because I know what my eyes can see/detect, and anything beyond that is wasted power in the form of heat generation. I think I limit mine down to about 60 as well.

Don't think I've ever touched tripple buffer though.

Tripple buffer and frame rate really shouldn't have any effect on awesomejunk. However, setting userports could. Thing is when I set userports on my PC, I normally end up port forwarding on my router to my PC as well for a one to one matching. I'm in a situation I can do that.

I limit framerate any way just because I know what my eyes can see/detect, and anything beyond that is wasted power in the form of heat generation. I think I limit mine down to about 60 as well.

Don't think I've ever touched tripple buffer though.
    yea, and im totally not sure which is correct either...

heres why:
    in game opts, it relays that checking it ON will decrease performance...

--However, in me Nvidia settings? it states it will Increase performance in games...
    so honestly, dunno which is right?

i do know though, that it is just one of many things i did that day to get game to flow nicely again, so... *shrug
    -your guess is good as my stoopy guess. :/

-TKK

Community Member

so, if you haven't opened a ticky yet, and r just here complaining? well... there u go.
    Hmmm...More like trying to get some legitimate Dev support, or at the very least a statement that read something like 'Yeah, looks like xxxxxx is broke with the One Ribbon update for some people. We'll get it fixed in an upcoming patch' or even a 'Thanks for the info, we'll get someone to check it out. In the mean time, please try this' or even a 'Please contact Tech support so they can gather some diagnostic info to help us track it down'.

Keep in mind, the only thing diagnostically significant in this whole conversation was the One Ribbon update...because prior to it myself and the other people in this thread DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. That means it's something Turbine introduced that created it. You would think that this thread, the bug reports and multiple support calls and tickets myself and other in this thread have opened would illicit some kind of response.

But no. Nothing. It literally translated into Turbine not getting $$ from me. They had a point bonus going on during this time, hearts of wood on sale. I absolutely would have shelled out $$ for that.

But I guess my ability to play their game (and thus give them $$ for it) isn't important to Turbine. Interesting business model.

/rant off

also turned on/forced on Triple Buffering inside Nvidia settings instead of application controlled.

last, but certainly not least, was an idea from TurbieTechs to set the UserSpecifiedPort=****

this part being, of course, after manually setting up the ports to b open in your Win Firewall.
    with the **** meaning to set it at different ones until you find the one that works for your system.
    These are two things I haven't tried yet, that I can try tonight to see if it helps as they are simple enough. (Already spent way too much time trying to diagnose/fix this).

The Forum filter (for reasons unknown) starred out the port values (****) above...any way you could re-post them in a format that wouldn't get filtered? That way I can maybe see where you are at.

I'll thank you already for your efforts here (and everyone else who contributed). If this works Kawai, I (and Turbine) owe you a debt of gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlanon View Post
    The Forum filter (for reasons unknown) starred out the port values (****) above...any way you could re-post them in a format that wouldn't get filtered? That way I can maybe see where you are at.

I'll thank you already for your efforts here (and everyone else who contributed). If this works Kawai, I (and Turbine) owe you a debt of gratitude.
    I went digging for you some.

http://support.turbine.com/ics/suppo...itOffset=303+4

http://support.turbine.com/link/port...ng-when-I-play

for what little it may help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarlanon View Post
    ...The Forum filter (for reasons unknown) starred out the port values (****) above...any way you could re-post them....
    i actually starred them out mehself...
    reason being, you have to go through each one of them to find the one that works for your system, as everyones is diffry.

mine was 9002.

the ports themselves are the range 9000-9010

turning them on in firewall is first step, along with some others in that thread.
    The part i never knew b4 was to manually set DDO to one of them within the file itself.

here's a quotee from TechSup which explains very well.

Quote Originally Posted by A Tech :D

1. Click on the Windows "Start" button.
    2. Then click on My Documents or Documents.
    3. Double-click the Dungeons and Dragons Onlinefolder.
    4. Within there locate and open theuserpreferences.ini file.

Within that file under the sectioned titled [Net] change UserSpecfiedPort to 9000 (e.g. UserSpecifiedPort=9000 )
    Exit the file and choose yes when prompted to save changes prior to launching the game to test these settings

If there is no change using 9000 in the above steps also try one of the remaining ports in the 9000 to 9010 range sequentially, as doing so might pinpoint if there is a specific port that addresses the issue encountered.

Thank you,
    The Turbine Technical Support Team.

Hope this helps

-Tarelyn

Community Member

That is why. Process Monitor (what you stated the first time) never showed it.
    My apologies on that, I should have meant to say Process Explorer and not the Process Monitor. I get them confused sometimes for some reason.

these included...

Troubleshooting Options in game:
    Framerate to 56/57
    GameSpeed medium
    (both of those from older support advice in the service troubleshooter)

I have been trying the same setting changes as you have described with no luck. I've even disabled the firewall with no luck. I changed the UserSpecifiedPort in UserPreferences.ini as they explained in their support pages. Except the only thing I did not try was Triple Buffering setting you mentioned... which I just tried about an hour ago. Unfortunately for me, it still happens.

The strange thing is before I made any setting changes tonight, I logged into game just to see and had no problems for about 15 minutes. I logged out and back in and it started right away. I tried another character and it started about 2 minutes after being loaded into game.

I have been with Turbine Support via a Ticket I put in shortly after about this started happening 2 updates ago. They have been very responsive in answering and assisting me in this, even though I still have the problem. Kawai, thanks for putting out this info as maybe it will still help others.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered already, but I didn't feel like reading through all five pages of the thread. I haven't been having any additional lag since u18, but I have been having other issues. For instance, red latency when I log in for the first time each day. And no, it's not my internet connection. Also DCing a lot more (yellow latency for several seconds, then red) and it doesn't recover unless I restart the client. Here's the best one so far. I was running The Black Loch yesterday, and the game completely stopped responding. No latency symbol or anything--just stopped working. So I restarted the client. When the game came back up, I was no longer in the quest. I was in House P where I had picked up my Carnival chain end reward twenty minutes earlier, and my ship buffs had reset to where they were when I picked up the end reward. Has anyone else ever had that happen? Because that was a new one for me...

Default Respond?

I have read this thread from page 1-5 unless i missed the DeV comment then dont read on. But if not....heres my 2cents.

I suffer from this issue as well...my connection is not top notch nor my comp. but even with that i was able to play ddo with none of the issue mention by OP. Sometimes lag due to my connection/hardware yes. But this is constant....game is really quite unplayable like some have mention on here.

in regards to that is the awesomium.dll "killing" the way to go to get rid of this issue?

With this much proof about the performance issue happening in game i am really suprise a DeV nor support (on my end) comment or even a glance about this issue. Those who use the forums might not account for most of the players in ddo...but i think this post deserves a bit of an answer Turbine. Anyone will do really...even if its "looking into it" post. You guys are able to respond to a thread about pictures/wallpapers with a post "Neat" (no offence to the OP of that thread) why not on a issue with detailed proofs? a video was even posted. Or are you just going to say this is not on your end and leave it at be and allow some of us to stop playing the game w/o responses. if that's the case its really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by thisguyknowsitall View Post
    With this much proof about the performance issue happening in game i am really suprise a DeV nor support (on my end) comment or even a glance about this issue. Those who use the forums might not account for most of the players in ddo...but i think this post deserves a bit of an answer Turbine. Anyone will do really...even if its "looking into it" post. You guys are able to respond to a thread about pictures/wallpapers with a post "Neat" (no offence to the OP of that thread) why not on a issue with detailed proofs? a video was even posted. Or are you just going to say this is not on your end and leave it at be and allow some of us to stop playing the game w/o responses. if that's the case its really disappointing.
    It is a very grim indication of turbines commitment to quality. Perhaps due to lack of resources in combination with what they perceive as an issue that only effects a small percentage of the playerbase. In other words, they decided it's not worth the time and money to fix this even if they lose some customers. Short term anyway.

I know this is a long shot but does anyone else think its a coincidence the mandatory 6 second lag in shadow crypt was 'fixed' several updates ago?
    aLiclan - Thelanis - Crony - Gimptalot - Shaista - Sonofhunta

Quote Originally Posted by thisguyknowsitall View Post
    With this much proof about the performance issue happening in game i am really suprise a DeV nor support (on my end) comment or even a glance about this issue.
    The problem is that this is really an engine issue as opposed to DDO game issue. I've never seen one engine developer ever speak up here or LOTRO.

So that is why I'm not surprised we haven't seen a developer comment. After all, you are only going to get a dev comment if 1) they feel up to it, but 2) it is in their area to fix.

Community Member

I just updated game and logged in just to test if the update helped in any way. It still occurs, but something has changed now while viewing in Process Explorer. The awesomium.dll is no longer spiking up every 6 seconds, but now it's an AwesomiumProcess.exe that is spiking up every 6 seconds. Also, before the update tonight, I never noticed the AwesomiumProcess.exe coming up before. Tonight I saw up to 9 of them in the Process Explorer. 2 during Character Screen and up to 9 at the beginning of the load in screen, and down to 7 of them while in game. Out of the 7 AwesomiumProcess.exe, 1 of them keeps shooting up in CPU usage just like before when it was the awesomium.dll. Each time it shoots up, the dndclient.exe CPU drops. Again, this occurs at the exact moment the 6 second interval problem happens for me in game.

I am not sure if this is still happening for anyone else after the update, but I just "Suspend" or "Kill" the one particular AwesomiumProcess.exe causing this from using Process Explorer and the game is so much smoother. I am not sure if this helps or hurts game, but so far I haven't noticed any side effects and game is playable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPassionPlay View Post
    I just updated game and logged in just to test if the update helped in any way. It still occurs, but something has changed now while viewing in Process Explorer. The awesomium.dll is no longer spiking up every 6 seconds, but now it's an AwesomiumProcess.exe that is spiking up every 6 seconds. Also, before the update tonight, I never noticed the AwesomiumProcess.exe coming up before. Tonight I saw up to 9 of them in the Process Explorer. 2 during Character Screen and up to 9 at the beginning of the load in screen, and down to 7 of them while in game. Out of the 7 AwesomiumProcess.exe, 1 of them keeps shooting up in CPU usage just like before when it was the awesomium.dll. Each time it shoots up, the dndclient.exe CPU drops. Again, this occurs at the exact moment the 6 second interval problem happens for me in game.

I am not sure if this is still happening for anyone else after the update, but I just "Suspend" or "Kill" the one particular AwesomiumProcess.exe causing this from using Process Explorer and the game is so much smoother. I am not sure if this helps or hurts game, but so far I haven't noticed any side effects and game is playable.
    I have still six-second problem since last two updates. Every day i trying find that awesomium but cannot find him. Maybe im stupid but if i press alt-ctrl-delete dont see any awesomium process. If i use Task manager program dont see any too. Shere is error?

I didn't have a problem until today. I haven't played for a couple of days though and my problem is specifically related to mouse movement. Of course, moving the mouse is quite common!

In my case I thought it was the catalyst update from AMD. I tested portal 1 out, and yep, extreme audio and video stuttering when mouselooking.

Installing 13.5 Beta didn't fix it, but quitting the myriad AMD/ATI applications did help, including CCC, MOM and others.

Killing the AwesomiumProcess' and then trying to launch the DDO store caused a crash. (I think Awesomium is for web rendering such as the store. Suspending Awesomium made the store non responsive, and resuming made all the clicks register. BTW, I use DTaskManager.

So it may be the fix for bug reporting and getting the store to work for those it wasn't for is to load all those windows in the background, but they are all checking "wheres the mouse, am I being clicked on? Whats happening?"

I'll probably try to downgrade my video driver to see if that makes a difference too.

edit: at character selection screen, moved mouse to see stuttering frame rate, and cpu usage of dndclient raise significantly (12% to 45%. Awesomium proccess (2 of them) didn't register cpu usage.
    Last edited by MelkiorPeasantbane; 05-31-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: cpu usage

On another computer, a Core2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz with 4 GB of ram and an integrated Intel G41 running XP, I do get AwesomiumProcess x 8, but I get none of the fps loss with mouse movement, making me think its an AMD driver issue. I'm going to try to downgrade later today and hope that helps.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast